MMQB: The Truth About Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I never thought about the winning-gene...until I heard Wentz talk about it so much...I'm a winner he said...I've always won....I looked into it....it matters....sometimes.

Goff has been the better QB this season. Wentz has been a turnover machine, he literally just dropped the ball yesterday.

RAMsacked

UDFA
What special attributes Has Goff shown ??? is he a tough guy -does he have a rocket arm is he a leader --is he an athlete --is he a jerk ? Does he have any magic to him. Is he great at reading defenses. I'm Gona say no to all. Havnt seen anything. Yet

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What special attributes Has Goff shown ??? is he a tough guy -does he have a rocket arm is he a leader --is he an athlete --is he a jerk ? Does he have any magic to him. Is he great at reading defenses. I'm Gona say no to all. Havnt seen anything. Yet

He can make every throw, with zip and accuracy. His passing skills are superior to many NFL QBs and he is 22 years old with only 9 games played in the league.

Goff has only played TWO games under McVay. Only 2 games in a functioning NFL (not middle school) offense.
If we can give a 22 year old one full season before writing the book on him, he would still have 7 more starts to show us something.

From my pov, I see a guy with all the requisite skills to develop into a top 5 pocket passer.
Every single problem I can find in his game can be chalked up to inexperience. Looking off targets, throwing on time, going through his progressions, making the best possible decision with the ball... those are the things that every young QB needs time to develop. What you look for are indications that he is adapting to the league and continuing to develop.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It is still too early to tell about Goff. Not sure anyone can make a justified call either way at this point. Sundays' loss was frustrating, but I could certainly see the difference between last year and this year from the offense. I wasn't expecting miracles this year personally. I predicted 7 wins, with an improved offense and a defense adjusting to a new scheme. I would like to see more decisiveness/urgency from Goff in a collapsing pocket. I know he needs to keep his eyes down field, but he also needs to sense pressure and protect the ball better in those situations. It SEEMS like he fumbles almost every time he is hit. I know he doesn't, but I cringe any time I see a defender near him.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that Goff is giving us a chance to win. People could nit pick all they want but he's making football exciting again.

Some other qbs we had in the recent past? I usually am scared shitless everytime the game is close and usually my feelings are correct, we would lose.

People have their opinion of Goff, but I chose to make my opinion positive, instead watching every little tiny mistake he makes. Many says he's still like a rookie, which I agree.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We were down to our last possession, 1 TD down, and I had hope we could still pull it out & get a 2pt conversion for the win. Because of Goff. McVay has had a great impact on him, sure, but you have to have a talented QB to start with. What I saw at the combine was the most accurate passer on the field that day, and it wasn't even close, passing to guys he's never worked with, hitting them IN STRIDE. I've said this before recently, but my biggest problem with Bradford was that he would gun the ball directly at his WR's but almost never hit them in stride.

If this were last year, I'd have no hope down 1 TD. Sunday I did, I was excited, knowing we at least had a chance. Goff is smart, works hard, and has talent, so I know he has no where to go but up. He'll work on the "looking off safetys" thing, maybe even get some pump-fakes. We didn't lose because of Goff (weeellll, except for the INT), we lost because of all the stupid flags, and our LB corp getting taken to the cleaners by OL's in the 2nd level. Something's wrong with our run defense, I saw it with Mack & the Colts. I really hope we get it figured out. But it's not Goff.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Even the great ones have moments, did you see Rogers sack fumble? Never saw the guy coming free on the front side, so it's easy to say you should see a guy coming from your right but it doesn't always happen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didn't lose because of Goff (weeellll, except for the INT), we lost because of all the stupid flags, and our LB corp getting taken to the cleaners by OL's in the 2nd level.
That was most of it... but Goff's untimely INT contributed as well.

Fact is/has been and always will be:
Teams win and lose as teams.
You can point to any number of things within a game that contributed to the win or a loss.

It's a Team Sport (I miss that guy).

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Well, overall the article is OK. That being said he needs to fact check, this Thursday's game is NOT Goof's first prime time game. He played Thurs. night last year against the Hags.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, overall the article is OK. That being said he needs to fact check, this Thursday's game is NOT Goof's first prime time game. He played Thurs. night last year against the Hags.

At least this year he has a chance on prime time. The team they assembled ain't all that bad. LOL.

We got like 26 people going to that game. I hope they kill it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Even Goff wouldn't defend that last pass. But I'm going to guess it won't define his career either. He's wearing horns so I will continue to be all in until he is not.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He was drafted by the Rams and he's our starter. Good enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and not look for ways to rag on him.

He has shown abilities and has made plays. I didn't see much wrong with his play except for a couple missed passes and that last pass that we all can agree was awful. I just don't see the point in predicting doom for the kid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What special attributes did Peyton Manning have? He didn't become elite at reading defense until he was around 27 years old. Prior to that, Peyton was a mediocre athlete with a good but not great arm.

The thing that separates great QBs from everyone else isn't athleticism, arm strength, size, etc. It's skill, instincts, and mental acuity. Goff has shown all three at both the college and NFL levels. But like any young QB, he isn't consistent.

Look at Matt Stafford. He was a #1 overall pick who came into the NFL at the same age as Goff (21 years old). Over his first six years in the NFL, Stafford had 131 TDs to 85 Ints and a QB Rating of 83.6. Over the past two years (since he turned 27 years old), Stafford has 56 TDs to 23 Ints and a 95.1 QB Rating. In fact, if you go look at QBs, you'll find that the vast majority of franchise QBs don't become consistent players until somewhere in the 26 to 28 year old range.(generally, 27 years old)

Basically, you're likely not going to know how good Goff is for another 5 years. If Goff shows he is an average starting QB this year, that bodes well for his future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never thought about the winning-gene...until I heard Wentz talk about it so much...I'm a winner he said...I've always won....I looked into it....it matters....sometimes. Hell, with QB's it seems to be all the time. And even that can't save you...

Something isn't a "gene" if it only matters sometimes. There's no such thing as a "winning-gene." Ryan Leaf was a "winner," until he wasn't. Joey Harrington was a "winner," until he wasn't. Johnny Manziel was a "winner," until he wasn't. Meanwhile, Brett Favre and John Elway were "losers," until they weren't.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Goff will be just fine. I'm more focused-concerned on Robert Woods and finally about ready to (almost) conclude on TA11, too. We may see Reynolds more, a lot sooner than expected. I haven't seen much from Cooper (Pharoah) either other than KO returns.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ryan Leaf was a "winner," until he wasn't. Joey Harrington was a "winner," until he wasn't. Johnny Manziel was a "winner," until he wasn't. Meanwhile, Brett Favre and John Elway were "losers," until they weren't.
Leaf is an interesting tale.....If you listen to him, he explains why he wasn't ready for success....but the worst thing that happened to him, was he was drafted by the Chargers. Not the franchise for an immature talent. But he had talent....and squandered it. Poor work ethic...and couldn't handle the stress.
Joey....wow...just like Smith....talent was there.
Johnny Football has talent too...
Brett Farve had incredible talent. I thought the guy he replaced was good, Majakowski or something...known as Magic...but Farve proved right away, he was better. Serious arm talent.
John Elway....I watched a lot of Elway....I grew up watching Elway....I first saw Elway at Dodger stadium....He was a pitcher in the City HS championships....A bunch of dudes on my baseball team would go to these....and everyone was talking about Elway....He was a QB from Granda Hills.. When I saw Elway play football, there was nothing he couldn't do on the field...scrambler...and had a cannon arm....you wanna know why I believe in arm strength? It was John Elway...He literally beat teams by himself at Stanford...When in the pros....he couldn't lift Denver right away...but...he showed signs...then he took the Broncos...a terrible team overall....to the playoffs and 4 SB's. Couldn't win one when he got there....I thought his career would end without a ring.

All of them had it....some (Leaf & Johnny Football) had other demons.....you put any of them on good franchises...they'd win...talent is talent....it shines through...you can see it in games in college...in the right circumstances, you'll see it in the pros.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He can make every throw, with zip and accuracy. His passing skills are superior to many NFL QBs and he is 22 years old with only 9 games played in the league.

Goff has only played TWO games under McVay. Only 2 games in a functioning NFL (not middle school) offense.
If we can give a 22 year old one full season before writing the book on him, he would still have 7 more starts to show us something.

From my pov, I see a guy with all the requisite skills to develop into a top 5 pocket passer.
Every single problem I can find in his game can be chalked up to inexperience. Looking off targets, throwing on time, going through his progressions, making the best possible decision with the ball... those are the things that every young QB needs time to develop. What you look for are indications that he is adapting to the league and continuing to develop.
Ok, who was the wise azz that invited the guy with common sense and logic to join the conversation???
Great post man

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
ahhh, now we're getting somewhere...so, it's not the end result....Oh, I get that....it's not the end result that has brought me to this point....The end result is what I do use....as a marker...as a measure...but the end all be all is HOW we get there...How is he playing in them....and guess what...he went from playing terribly, andf being one of the primary reasons...to just being a side piece....In almost every game he loses....he turns the ball over...not really surprising...Troy was the worst at turnovers...didn't know what the cowboys had done to one of the most accurate passers I ever saw....nope...it the way he does it....again...what I see...no pressure...targets the WRONG people....and just throws it away.....under pressure he's even worse....
Now....you went all 80's & 90's....which is cool, but the game is different....It's faster and results need to be sooner. So lets go to Carr...probably had a QB coach in 8th grade....throwing camps...7 on 7 leagues all year...and while his completion %%% is kinda low, 59%.....he threw 21 tds....and....wait for it...12 ints....which tells me, HE's NOT the reason they are losing GAMES!
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

Every other HOF QB you mentioned joined HORRIBLE franchises at the time....We...us...the Rams WERE 7-9.....we had to trade up to get this guy...cause, you know...we weren't that bad...not awful.....and again...they weren't in the day of 7 on 7 camps all year....QB coaches...Other than Elway....I don't think any had the natural talent of Carr or Goff...

Yet this guy continues to turn the ball over...in clutch games....he's done this since college.

I never thought about the winning-gene...until I heard Wentz talk about it so much...I'm a winner he said...I've always won....I looked into it....it matters....sometimes. Hell, with QB's it seems to be all the time. And even that can't save you...
Get off it dude. Goff is a winner too. Always has been. Took his high school teams far. Took a crap Cal program. Did his part to make them better every year.

Only legit. criticism I see is: maybe he is a gradual improver. But always improving. Almost sounds like you should follow the Eagles man. Not trying to be harsh. Just want what's best for you. (y)

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
2017 2 Games = 73 Points
2016 5 Games = 82 Points

Game one had 2 Pick 6's so
2017 2 Games = 59 Points
2016 4 Games = 63 Points

This is a different Season.... a different team