MMQB: The Truth About Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's way too early to be writing about Goff or McVay after just two games. What did Benoit say that we didn't already know? Goff is technically a rookie and he will make mistakes. Saying he isn't as good as he was against the Colts or as bad as he was against Washington is just dumb at this point. He very well could be either.

Well, if he was bad against the Skins yesterday (minus the pick), then it's not that bad. Would like to see a bit better than 60% completion rate ... but I'll take 9 yards per attempt all GD day.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Lafluer and McVay know so much....fix the freaking staring down targets thing....that shoulda been addressed in training camp. Trent Dilfer works with high school guys on this...
I knew someone would lay it at goffs door :rolleyes:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I knew someone would lay it at goffs door
That's why QB's make so much, they gotta handle the blame too....It wasn't Goff's fault we lost....Sure woulda been exciting if he coulda picked us up...I mean....that's what QB's do...final drive....and the first pass.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's why QB's make so much, they gotta handle the blame too....It wasn't Goff's fault we lost....Sure woulda been exciting if he coulda picked us up...I mean....that's what QB's do...final drive....and the first pass.

He looks better than a number of other QB's so far this league. Thus far he's been the best QB in the NFC West (although I expect that to change as Wilson and the Seahawks begin finding their stride).. For being so young, it's pretty impressive and very encouraging.

Certainly not the worst QB in the league.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I remember Sam Bradford having issues locking his eyes to Amendola. Goff will eventually pick up details like that, hope we don't put him into too many situations where he needs that one drive to win or tie the game.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think the D will be more than fine very soon. Anytime a player returns after missing training camp it takes a bit to rebalance. They have too many good players and a good coach.
The offense I'm not sold on, they've had a pretty favorable schedule. We'll see
I am not sure I get the, not sold on. compared to what? Last year? Cause when did you see them score 20 or more points in consecutive games? Not last year. Compared to Atlanta and Green Bay? No shit. Compared to the game the Redskins defense played against Philly?. Philly's offense scored 22 points. The Rams are just getting the ball rolling. I hope your sold enough to see they are better than last year and have got the arrow pointing up. I'd be not sold on the Defense, because the only reason the Redskins didn't score 33 points on this defense is because inside the 5 they decided to pass after they got there by running the ball and the kicker missed an easy field goal.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I remember Sam Bradford having issues locking his eyes to Amendola. Goff will eventually pick up details like that, hope we don't put him into too many situations where he needs that one drive to win or tie the game.

Yeah, he knew what he did right after he threw it and saw the LB pick it.

Face Palm:banghead:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
It's way too early to be writing about Goff or McVay after just two games. What did Benoit say that we didn't already know? Goff is an Air Raid QB and he will make mistakes. Saying he isn't as good as he was against the Colts or as bad as he was against Washington is just dumb at this point. He very well could be either.

fixed it for ya

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yeah, he knew what he did right after he threw it and saw the LB pick it.

Face Palm:banghead:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, young QBs are bound to make mistakes like this when improvising.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last pass put a stain on an otherwise decent day . I'm more concerned with the D and penalties. See (Woods)

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
You guys have all made valid points....and Crap guys...that did suck... and he knew it right away.... but I'll bet if you look at film of great quarterbacks when they were young you will find similar tendencies, and a simular pick to lose a winnable game. I can remember Warner (Rams 2001 I think) threw an out against Denver in his prime that the corner jumped and if I'm not mistaken took it to the house.... these things happen and not exclusively to young qbs..... the important thing is that he learns and gets better. We will see but so far I've been fairly impressed.... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did what every QB in the NFL has done before. Throw an int or fumble on a drive to try to win a game. Guess that makes him human like the rest of them.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah woulda been amazing but ya know it's his 9th start ... 2nd in a new (real) offense ...kids gotta a whole ball and a whole lotta leeway in my books before I make any harsh judgements ...

UtahRam

Rookie
The difference between Goff against the Colts and Goff against the Foreskins was pass protection. He had better pass protection against the Colts. Period. Credit the Foreskins but that's what I saw.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, young QBs are bound to make mistakes like this when improvising.

Oh yeah, me too.

I felt that I could see that recognition on his face after it happened when TV cut to an iso shot of Goff.

I do some version of head banging, face palming whenever I screw up and know it....

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We're we not down 13 -0 and again 20 -10 in th e second half? If woods doesn't have a blatant pi we are inside the 5 and we take the lead with 7 minutes left. He was handling the late game preasure just fine. Should have been a game winning drive. Defense let them take over 5 minutes off the clock and score 7.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The difference between Goff against the Colts and Goff against the Foreskins was pass protection. He had better pass protection against the Colts. Period. Credit the Foreskins but that's what I saw.
Yeah....but he really wasn't touched...he was harassed...they seemed to be all around on several plays...but not really hit....Hell, I just saw our next 4 games...I'm hoping he gets used to a crowded pocket....and just delivers the ball to the right person. No such thing as a perfect pocket....and he shouldn't expect one.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Defense let them take over 5 minutes off the clock and score 7.
Ok....defense was off it's game...they just scored 16 points the week before...Pick them up...what??? Offense only works when D's playing well?

The best part of 2004.....Bulger years....we'd get penalties...we'd make turnovers....but you know what...Mark was good to take us down to the wire....and get the ball in the endzone....The days of dominant defenses are not gone...but almost forgotten....O's need to pick the D up....esp. in a game like yesterday.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but I'll bet if you look at film of great quarterbacks when they were young you will find similar tendencies, and a simular pick to lose a winnable game.
Maybe...I watched a bunch of Marino, Elway, and Kosar as a youngster...And a bunch of Chris Miller....guess who it reminded me of? I watched a QB the other night....think his name was Deshaun Watson....can't throw a lick...but guess what happened?

the important thing is that he learns and gets better.
This is all we have right now....and....and...I'm optimistic..yeah that's the word.....
He did what every QB in the NFL has done before. Throw an int or fumble on a drive to try to win a game. Guess that makes him human like the rest of them.
OK....human.....1-8.....guys like you make me wanna count....1 and 8.....pretty soon we're gonna have a trend of a human that was drafted first overall....in fact, lets look at all the humans drafted first overall that have thrown picks on the last possession. Lets see the names of these humans...and how'd they turn out?