MMQB: The Truth About Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/18/jared-goff-los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay

The Truth About Jared Goff
He’s not as good as his gaudy Week 1 stat line suggests. But he’s not as bad as the disastrous game-ending interception in Week 2 might make you think. Here’s how first-year head coach Sean McVay has put Goff back on track to become the Rams' franchise quarterback
ANDY BENOIT

HARRY HOW/GETTY IMAGES

Jared Goff trotted out onto the field with 1:44 left in regulation, down 27-20. One timeout, 72 yards to go. It was a scenario that makes a man’s reputation. Fail, and Goff’s (granted, outrageously premature) first-round bust label returns. Succeed, and the 22-year-old rockets to the top of pro football’s Hype Mountain (along with his 31-year-old head coach, Sean McVay).

Goff stood in shotgun and eyed wide receiver Cooper Kupp, who was motioning in, behind receiver Sammy Watkins. It’s a staple tactic of McVay’s—running two receivers off the same spot, forcing defenders to back up a few yards. It’s great against man coverage and can work against zone.

The ball was snapped and Goff eyed Kupp. Then he kept eyeing him. And kept eyeing him. And eyed him some more. When Kupp made his break, Goff threw. That’s when Washington linebacker Mason Foster stepped in for the easiest interception of his life. Foster, as a shallow zone defender, had been eyeing Goff himself. Game over. Rams lose.

With that, away goes the nascent Goff hype. And with it, the adoration of McVay, who, after the interception looked like his dog had just died. He’ll spend the next few days deflecting the inevitable criticism of his quarterback.

The truth: Goff is not as good as his 306 yards and 117.9 passer rating in Week 1 against the Colts suggests. Indy’s retooled defense was young in the back seven and bereft of edge rushers, so Goff was facing safe, predictable coverages and working from a clean pocket. His defense also scored three times, giving him a comfortable lead. He won’t have another scenario like this in 2017.

Also the truth: Goff is not as bad as his final play against Washington suggests. There’s stuff to learn from this game. Washington’s D was more dimensional than Indy’s, and Goff’s circumstances were less favorable.

The Rams, thanks to run-stopping issues on defense and self-inflicted setbacks on offense, trailed much of the afternoon. They didn’t successfully stretch the field. Many of their patented route combinations resulted in checkdowns or improvised QB movement. Their O-line was good, not great.

Goff will have to learn quickly from this film because the Rams travel to San Francisco for Thursday Night Football. It will be Goff’s first nationally televised NFL game, and he enters in a much better spot now than he was in at any point last season.

McVay is doing for Goff what he did for Kirk Cousins. He features the quarterback on first down play-action concepts, often with quick-hitting inside routes that punish defenses for playing a predictable run-stopping zone front.

He also takes shots with deep post-cross route combinations, sending receivers across the field into widening zone voids. Doing these on running downs removes the pass rush. The designs are intricate but, for the quarterback, the reads are not. If the look is this, throw here; if it’s that, throw there.

Many of these passes are coming out of condensed formations, with receivers aligned not far from the offensive tackles. This is another McVay staple but also has tentacles from first-year coordinator Matt LaFleur, who coached quarterbacks in a Falcons offense that flourished with these tightly packed formations. They create a lot more congestion for the defense while presenting a two-way go for receivers.

And just like with Atlanta and Washington last year, so many of the Rams’ aerial concepts are synced with their ground game. You can really help your quarterback by making your plays all look the same off the snap. McVay learned this from working under Mike Shanahan in Washington, and he’ll try to use it against Mike’s son Kyle on Thursday night.

None of this was part of the Goff conversation a year ago. Los Angeles’s running game was constricted and mostly independent from its passing game. Every play was its own entity. Goff was seeing all trees, no forest.

In fairness to the previous Rams staff, they lacked the resources that surround Goff now. There was no stable veteran like 12th-year left tackle Andrew Whitworth or ninth-year center John Sullivan. Todd Gurley was not the smooth, swift runner that we saw in 2015 and have seen these first two weeks.

There was no possession target like Kupp, and no dynamic receiver like Watkins (who, by the way, has flashed the change-of-direction quickness that made him the fourth overall pick in Buffalo in 2014; it won’t be long before he’s showcased like a true No. 1).

In less than a year, Goff’s circumstances have gone from sorry to splendid. Which, come to think of it, might just magnify the pressure. Oh well. Welcome to the NFL, Jared Goff, where success depends on navigating your highs and lows.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Good article, but this would be his 2nd nationally televised game. The color rush game last at Seattle was his first with Coach Bones as the interim head coach.

As I said in another post, I feel this team will bounce back. There is different feel to this team, but at the same time, I am still cautiously optimist because of the last 14 years.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wait, so having a passing offensive coordinator and a second guy to do the run plays is a bad idea? Is that what Benoit is saying here? Like... an offense should be a cohesive unit, with runs, passes, and even *gasp* the blocking being coordinated?

Bloody hell. I think I need to lie down after this revelation.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont believe it, he didnt bash Goff. And he actually spoke highly of the Rams current coaching.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fairness to the previous Rams staff, they lacked the resources that surround Goff now. There was no stable veteran like 12th-year left tackle Andrew Whitworth or ninth-year center John Sullivan. Todd Gurley was not the smooth, swift runner that we saw in 2015 and have seen these first two weeks.

thats was their own doing ...there is no fairness to the previous staff they wanted projects like Grob and B Quick and that guy who is tearing it up in cleveland .... the only reason they lacked the resources is because they FAILED to put them there

get prepared to see a lot of articles over the next few weeks like this ... i think the Media are starting to hedge their bets a little just in case Goff does have a coming out year...they can see something special happening in rams nation and they are miking their seats comfy and ready on the band wagon

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There was no possession target like Kupp, and no dynamic receiver like Watkins (who, by the way, has flashed the change-of-direction quickness that made him the fourth overall pick in Buffalo in 2014; it won’t be long before he’s showcased like a true No. 1).

How's that fair? The prior staff PICKED the players for their offense.

Think McVay didn't have serious input about the off season pick ups and Drafts?

Difference is... McVay has a clue about offense... Fisher didn't.

This has nothing to do with fairness... these are facts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One of the better MMQB articles I've read, a fair read on things.

I'll say the same thing I said after game 1, as well, about this team: they answer when the other team does good things. This time around it took them a bit too long with the initial lead being a significant difficulty to overcome, but they did get back to a tied game which showed me a lot of resilience. We got to see another good insight of who this team is going to be yesterday.

Goff needs to correct. The OL needs to keep improving. Gurley needs to keep pushing. Wideouts and pass catchers in general need to work the scramble drill too, as Goff does shake free sometimes and they don't respond quickly enough (ahem Tavon). But I think all those things are things we can count on happening.

Greater concern for me lies on defense. This game exposes weaknesses when they're there. Game 1 many of us saw Barron's mistakes, and the Skins deserve a lot of cred for a masterful gameplanning that exposed him and Ogletree. And outside of all that my bigger concern is just the way our defense as a whole couldn't shed blocks. Seems like they were so busy reading their press clippings that they got caught and hit in the damn mouth by the Skins.

So this game on Thursday is going to be very valuable for the defense to get out there and resume their push to being an elite unit. It happens, too, btw. Elite units can have early struggles and then go on a tear. It's not the worst thing to have their @$$es handed to them in game 2. Who knows, maybe this will end up being an important learning experience for them.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
How's that fair? The prior staff PICKED the players for their offense.

Think McVay didn't have serious input about the off season pick ups and Drafts?

Difference is... McVay has a clue about offense... Fisher didn't.

This has nothing to do with fairness... these are facts.

I thought the same thing - it was the one point of the article I would argue with. If we had the same staff as last year, I guarantee we wouldn't have the same players that we have now. For one, Fisher would have never drafted Kupp, he wouldn't have considered him athletic enough.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
.......Seems like they were so busy reading their press clippings that they got caught and hit in the damn mouth by the Skins.

Great post, well thought out and communicated as usual. But I'm going to take issue with the statement above because its the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen the comment and Its unfair to the players.

The players weren't reading press clippings. They know who they beat in week one and they're aware of the weekly challenges in the NFL. They know they have work to do in a new system. I think its more plausible that they were thinking too much. Its also more plausible that one or two defensive leaders showed up without mojo, which is unexplained. The rest of the defense played down the the level of those that were "off". The tail always follows the body. Its even plausible to think that they now have an offense, so they thought they would be picked up. Whatever happened, its seemed way out of place. And lastly, even though we managed to capture momentum a few times throughout the game (thanks to the offense), letting a team come in our house with alot more intensity to set the tone, is something we just cannot afford to allow. At home, we should never have to capture momentum and intensity. We should set it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great post, well thought out and communicated as usual. But I'm going to take issue with the statement above because its the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen the comment and Its unfair to the players.

The players weren't reading press clippings. They know who they beat in week one and they're aware of the weekly challenges in the NFL. They know they have work to do in a new system. I think its more plausible that they were thinking too much. Its also more plausible that one or two defensive leaders showed up without mojo, which is unexplained. The rest of the defense played down the the level of those that were "off". The tail always follows the body. Its even plausible to think that they now have an offense, so they thought they would be picked up. Whatever happened, its seemed way out of place. And lastly, even though we managed to capture momentum a few times throughout the game (thanks to the offense), letting a team come in our house with alot more intensity to set the tone, is something we just cannot afford to allow. At home, we should never have to capture momentum and intensity. We should set it.

Thing is that we had guys getting beat one on one in large numbers. Like most of the defense, and on just about every snap in the first half. I don't have another way of explaining it, in fact it's like a lifeline where I am hoping they were caught reading their press clippings.

The Skins offense looked like absolute crap all through preseason. They looked like crap game 1 vs a rival Eagles team. I don't think it's unlikely that the Rams were lickin their chops after watching the film. I went back and looked at some of their early preseason action last week, and their game one loss and they were disjointed and looked like their new OC was in over his head. It's why I was so confident about this game going into it.

My suspicion is that Gruden got heavily involved in the gameplanning for this one and put on a clinic as well. Kind of a perfect storm if you will. And that's my hope at this point too, because the other possibility is that we're not a good defense.

…..

Legend
Thing is that we had guys getting beat one on one in large numbers. Like most of the defense, and on just about every snap in the first half. I don't have another way of explaining it, in fact it's like a lifeline where I am hoping they were caught reading their press clippings.

The Skins offense looked like absolute crap all through preseason. They looked like crap game 1 vs a rival Eagles team. I don't think it's unlikely that the Rams were lickin their chops after watching the film. I went back and looked at some of their early preseason action last week, and their game one loss and they were disjointed and looked like their new OC was in over his head. It's why I was so confident about this game going into it.

My suspicion is that Gruden got heavily involved in the gameplanning for this one and put on a clinic as well. Kind of a perfect storm if you will. And that's my hope at this point too, because the other possibility is that we're not a good defense.

Gone from licking their chops to licking their wounds. Its my hope that McVay is high on accountability and not just using the word as a prop for press conferences. He goes out of his way to accept the responsibility in front of the mic, but I hope he shares it in team meetings and film study today.

Think about it.....some of those plays by Tree (or non plays) will have to be addressed. There's going to be alot of humble millionaires after film room today. They certainly cant hide from film. So the best hope is as you stated previously, "its not such a bad thing to get your ass whooped in game two." And from a team standpoint, you are correct it could be the most important thing to happen to our defense this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The DL film is going to be ugly too. The ILBs had a bad game, so did the safeties, but a lot of the issues started up front and I am sure none of those guys had what would be termed a good day.

My guess is McVay responds with practices in pads to prep for the whiners. They need to get down and dirty and ensure they're ready for smashmouth ball.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Lafluer and McVay know so much....fix the fucking staring down targets thing....that shoulda been addressed in training camp. Trent Dilfer works with high school guys on this...

…..

Legend
speaking of intensity....I bet Washington and the trail of tears to the training room is rethinking the approach. Anyone find it odd the amount of Redskins that had to be helped from the field? Are we just lucky or in better shape?

off topic I know but it just came into my head.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
I think the D will be more than fine very soon. Anytime a player returns after missing training camp it takes a bit to rebalance. They have too many good players and a good coach.
The offense I'm not sold on, they've had a pretty favorable schedule. We'll see

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's way too early to be writing about Goff or McVay after just two games. What did Benoit say that we didn't already know? Goff is technically a rookie and he will make mistakes. Saying he isn't as good as he was against the Colts or as bad as he was against Washington is just dumb at this point. He very well could be either.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
speaking of intensity....I bet Washington and the trail of tears to the training room is rethinking the approach. Anyone find it odd the amount of Redskins that had to be helped from the field? Are we just lucky or in better shape?

off topic I know but it just came into my head.

I think it's a good point. Skins played balls out yesterday man. That team was not effin around.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
the truth about Goff is he's pretty much still a rookie having only played 7 games last year (under the worst circumstances possible) so he's gonna have those growing pains but I think he'll be alright

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's a good point. Skins played balls out yesterday man. That team was not effin around.
So, they gave us their best shot and we still stuck around.

They're a pretty good team... they gave us all they had... we competed.

Put this in the positives thread.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Jeff Fisher wasted vast resources of high draft picks -Greg Robinson-Brian Quick- Isaiah Pead-Tavon Austin etc,etc,etc the list is boundless and atrocious.Jeff Fisher sucks.

stupid-- dumb bastard ...