MMQB: The Truth About Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Decent article.. but it's too early to make any kinds of comments about "truth" of who Jared Goff is as a QB.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Maybe...I watched a bunch of Marino, Elway, and Kosar as a youngster...And a bunch of Chris Miller....guess who it reminded me of? I watched a QB the other night....think his name was Deshaun Watson....can't throw a lick...but guess what happened?

This is all we have right now....and....and...I'm optimistic..yeah that's the word.....
OK....human.....1-8.....guys like you make me wanna count....1 and 8.....pretty soon we're gonna have a trend of a human that was drafted first overall....in fact, lets look at all the humans drafted first overall that have thrown picks on the last possession. Lets see the names of these humans...and how'd they turn out?
I would argue he was having a good game before that pick..as a matter of fact I think he is off to a good start this year and we are merely watching the maturation process....I don't think I will find anything that will convince you of anything..but I'll take you up on that challenge champ....I'll see what I can find..... we will see.im off to see what I can find.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe...I watched a bunch of Marino, Elway, and Kosar as a youngster...And a bunch of Chris Miller....guess who it reminded me of? I watched a QB the other night....think his name was Deshaun Watson....can't throw a lick...but guess what happened?

This is all we have right now....and....and...I'm optimistic..yeah that's the word.....
OK....human.....1-8.....guys like you make me wanna count....1 and 8.....pretty soon we're gonna have a trend of a human that was drafted first overall....in fact, lets look at all the humans drafted first overall that have thrown picks on the last possession. Lets see the names of these humans...and how'd they turn out?
Again with the win loss record for a QB. One of these days you'll figure it out until then.....

Wtfdidhesayomgdoublefacepalm.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would argue he was having a good game before that pick..as a matter of fact I think he is off to a good start this year and we are merely watching the maturation process....I don't think I will find anything that will convince you of anything..but I'll take you up on that challenge champ....I'll see what I can find..... we will see.im off to see what I can find.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)
Don't worry about him he only pays attention to three numbers. Height, 40 yard time in your underwear and a QB win/loss record.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Ok....defense was off it's game...they just scored 16 points the week before...Pick them up...what??? Offense only works when D's playing well?

The best part of 2004.....Bulger years....we'd get penalties...we'd make turnovers....but you know what...Mark was good to take us down to the wire....and get the ball in the endzone....The days of dominant defenses are not gone...but almost forgotten....O's need to pick the D up....esp. in a game like yesterday.
Nobody is saying he is great or even as good as bulger yet, but given what a crap show last year was, I would think you might be pretty happy with Goff's showing the first 2 games this season. He has made plays, some very good ones under pressure. Plus I would say catching the skins at 20 was having the defences' back. I'd say for a 22 year old who's 1st season was nothing more than learning how to get your ass kicked in the nfl, he is bouncing back quite nicely.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I agree with everyone who's more worried about our D, although I am surprised Goff would stare down his receiver (int at the end)--you'd think at this point he'd be beyond that. I think the offense will generally continually improve as Goff gets more games under his belt.

That run D tho--anyone think they're still "adjusting" to a 3-4?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nobody is saying he is great or even as good as bulger yet, but given what a crap show last year was, I would think you might be pretty happy with Goff's showing the first 2 games this season. He has made plays, some very good ones under pressure. Plus I would say catching the skins at 20 was having the defences' back. I'd say for a 22 year old who's 1st season was nothing more than learning how to get your ass kicked in the nfl, he is bouncing back quite nicely.
I see what's everyones concern is....he shows some great talent....6 play drive for a TD was awesome....guess who the primary targets were??? Gurley, Watkins, and and......somebody help me....oh yeah that bullet to Everett. And he should be throwing to these guys...

But he also shows an ability to turn the ball over in the face of pressure....He is showing the ability to lose winnable games. In fact....he's losing more games than he's responsible for winning...If it wasn't for the turnovers....I wouldn't be as concerned....The strip sack at the end of the 2nd quarter was almost another...Blame Havenstein....we know what he is now...but he's got to have an internal clock...he has to get rid of the ball. He has to target the right players.
They are....but mainly, they are discovering who can really play when the bullets are live...Westbrooks is a player...Longacre is a player....Tree, Barwin, Smart, Walker, Alexander.....NRC....those guys struggled...are vets....and besides leadership, what else did they bring to the game? It's a bad sign when your VETS play worse than the younger players...makes guys in the locker room talk.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Again with the win loss record for a QB. One of these days you'll figure it out until then.....
Had he driven them down....for a TD...then passed for a 2 point conversion...guess the win he would have been credited for wouldn't count either? Naw...great comeback win....great last minute drive...not for Whitworth...not for Gurley...not for Woods, Watkins, or Kupp...the great comeback win would have went to the QB....no matter how great or shitty he would have performed...or how great or shitty anyone else played. It goes to the QB...What, you guys wanna change the rules in 2017 now? So....when they change the rules...I'll try to figure out the common core football you guys preach.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.I don't think I will find anything that will convince you of anything.
I'm easy....couple of NO TURNOVER GAMES.....Football 101 for young QB's....don't lose the game...#1 factor for loses is turnovers....Not TD passes...Not knowing where the sun rises...None of that....Help move the chains...and DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER...ESPECIALLY IN THE 4TH QUARTER....DEFINITELY NOT AT THE END OF THE 2ND OR 4TH QUARTERS!
seems easy enough...or is it?:thinking:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Did I think Goff was as good as his 117 rating week 1? Of course not. 1 game out of 16. He showed us a lot yesterday when he moved out of the pocket and found Everett down the field for that big gain.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had he driven them down....for a TD...then passed for a 2 point conversion...guess the win he would have been credited for wouldn't count either? Naw...great comeback win....great last minute drive...not for Whitworth...not for Gurley...not for Woods, Watkins, or Kupp...the great comeback win would have went to the QB....no matter how great or crappy he would have performed...or how great or crappy anyone else played. It goes to the QB...What, you guys wanna change the rules in 2017 now? So....when they change the rules...I'll try to figure out the common core football you guys preach.
You must hate Derek Carr he's so much worse than Goff. He started out losing his first 10 games!
Troy Aikman is even worse! He lost his first 11!
John Elway won 2 but lost the next 6 he clearly wasn't a good QB.
That scrub Steve Young started out 3-16 my goodness that's some bad QB play.
He'll even Joe Montana was 2-14 his first year.

You get the point yet how stupid judging a QB by wins and losses is yet?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I see what's everyones concern is....he shows some great talent....6 play drive for a TD was awesome....guess who the primary targets were??? Gurley, Watkins, and and......somebody help me....oh yeah that bullet to Everett. And he should be throwing to these guys...

But he also shows an ability to turn the ball over in the face of pressure....He is showing the ability to lose winnable games. In fact....he's losing more games than he's responsible for winning...If it wasn't for the turnovers....I wouldn't be as concerned....The strip sack at the end of the 2nd quarter was almost another...Blame Havenstein....we know what he is now...but he's got to have an internal clock...he has to get rid of the ball. He has to target the right players.
They are....but mainly, they are discovering who can really play when the bullets are live...Westbrooks is a player...Longacre is a player....Tree, Barwin, Smart, Walker, Alexander.....NRC....those guys struggled...are vets....and besides leadership, what else did they bring to the game? It's a bad sign when your VETS play worse than the younger players...makes guys in the locker room talk.
Why don't you just root for wen
Had he driven them down....for a TD...then passed for a 2 point conversion...guess the win he would have been credited for wouldn't count either? Naw...great comeback win....great last minute drive...not for Whitworth...not for Gurley...not for Woods, Watkins, or Kupp...the great comeback win would have went to the QB....no matter how great or crappy he would have performed...or how great or crappy anyone else played. It goes to the QB...What, you guys wanna change the rules in 2017 now? So....when they change the rules...I'll try to figure out the common core football you guys preach.
The problem is, you can't let the crap show go. Just let it gooooo. Hi

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You must hate Derek Carr he's so much worse than Goff. He started out losing his first 10 games!
Troy Aikman is even worse! He lost his first 11!
John Elway won 2 but lost the next 6 he clearly wasn't a good QB.
That scrub Steve Young started out 3-16 my goodness that's some bad QB play.
He'll even Joe Montana was 2-14 his first year.

You get the point yet how stupid judging a QB by wins and losses is yet?
ahhh, now we're getting somewhere...so, it's not the end result....Oh, I get that....it's not the end result that has brought me to this point....The end result is what I do use....as a marker...as a measure...but the end all be all is HOW we get there...How is he playing in them....and guess what...he went from playing terribly, andf being one of the primary reasons...to just being a side piece....In almost every game he loses....he turns the ball over...not really surprising...Troy was the worst at turnovers...didn't know what the cowboys had done to one of the most accurate passers I ever saw....nope...it the way he does it....again...what I see...no pressure...targets the WRONG people....and just throws it away.....under pressure he's even worse....
Now....you went all 80's & 90's....which is cool, but the game is different....It's faster and results need to be sooner. So lets go to Carr...probably had a QB coach in 8th grade....throwing camps...7 on 7 leagues all year...and while his completion %%% is kinda low, 59%.....he threw 21 tds....and....wait for it...12 ints....which tells me, HE's NOT the reason they are losing GAMES!
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

Every other HOF QB you mentioned joined HORRIBLE franchises at the time....We...us...the Rams WERE 7-9.....we had to trade up to get this guy...cause, you know...we weren't that bad...not awful.....and again...they weren't in the day of 7 on 7 camps all year....QB coaches...Other than Elway....I don't think any had the natural talent of Carr or Goff...

Yet this guy continues to turn the ball over...in clutch games....he's done this since college.

I never thought about the winning-gene...until I heard Wentz talk about it so much...I'm a winner he said...I've always won....I looked into it....it matters....sometimes. Hell, with QB's it seems to be all the time. And even that can't save you...

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is basically still a rookie QB. He has played two games under a real offense with real coaches. He would probably be better off if he came out this year instead last year with the poor coaching he had last year. He not only starts a new program but has to break the habits he had last year. Except for a very few exceptions, it takes a little while to learn the position, especially if you played in a totally different offense in college.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why don't you just root for wen
I actually have used that hair product....It's excellent for my roots.
wen-hair-care-640x342.png

Then this happened
images

Serious...I'm a fan of Football....I root for the Rams....

I was laughing this weekend tho...some poster was saying Wentz played like this....While Goff played like that....and we lost...LOLOLOL Insinuating that Wentz played worse than Goff....They both lost...We lost....only thing you can look at is...they both played the same damn team but in different weeks....compare the stats. Oh yeah, the final stat is wins and losses.....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ahhh, now we're getting somewhere...so, it's not the end result....Oh, I get that....it's not the end result that has brought me to this point....The end result is what I do use....as a marker...as a measure...but the end all be all is HOW we get there...How is he playing in them....and guess what...he went from playing terribly, andf being one of the primary reasons...to just being a side piece....In almost every game he loses....he turns the ball over...not really surprising...Troy was the worst at turnovers...didn't know what the cowboys had done to one of the most accurate passers I ever saw....nope...it the way he does it....again...what I see...no pressure...targets the WRONG people....and just throws it away.....under pressure he's even worse....
Now....you went all 80's & 90's....which is cool, but the game is different....It's faster and results need to be sooner. So lets go to Carr...probably had a QB coach in 8th grade....throwing camps...7 on 7 leagues all year...and while his completion %%% is kinda low, 59%.....he threw 21 tds....and....wait for it...12 ints....which tells me, HE's NOT the reason they are losing GAMES!
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

Every other HOF QB you mentioned joined HORRIBLE franchises at the time....We...us...the Rams WERE 7-9.....we had to trade up to get this guy...cause, you know...we weren't that bad...not awful.....and again...they weren't in the day of 7 on 7 camps all year....QB coaches...Other than Elway....I don't think any had the natural talent of Carr or Goff...

Yet this guy continues to turn the ball over...in clutch games....he's done this since college.

I never thought about the winning-gene...until I heard Wentz talk about it so much...I'm a winner he said...I've always won....I looked into it....it matters....sometimes. Hell, with QB's it seems to be all the time. And even that can't save you...
The Rams were not a good team sorry. You're creating a false narrative to try to justify your stance and it's comical. Hate to break it to you but every QB does something bad to lose a game or blow a chance to score at the end of the half. Those plays don't define a QB. How you react and rebound to them and what you learn from them do. Goff was horrible in 2016 so what has he come out and done? He's completed 67% of his passes averaged 9.8 ypa thrown 1 int and fumbled once. If that is enough to condemn him so be it. But your stance on QB wins is just comedy :D Go ahead and think the only person that matters in a win or loss is the QB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They make the most money for a reason....sorry....They drive the market....not my opinion. Fact....every single contract takes into account what the QB makes...and every other player is adusted accordingly.
Look at Detroit....that team is WORSE than us....hell they have our old left tackle....but they are actually BETTER than us because of their QB.
The Rams were not a good team sorry.
7-9 the season before (2015).....3-1 before the wheels fell off in 2016....They were the epitome of average....hell, better execution, and same players....better coaching and SAME players, it could be argued they'd win 9 games...not a stretch...not trying to validate my stance...My stance....stands....on its own...

I'm not just giving our QB some pass....I was adamant....we DON'T need to get rid of Bradford....definitely not for Foles...He doesn't get a pass cause he's 22...not cause he's got a nice arm (balls still wobble...see the Woods drop)...not cause he's accurate...He's a active part in why we're losing games NOW....if we don't beat SF...I'm sure we can point to a number of reasons...but the QB...the leader...even tho some don't want it...the natural leader will be part of the reason...if we win Thursday, you better believe he'll be the reason.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
ESPN Says Aaron Rodgers is Not Clutch Due to 5-24 Record When Trailing in 4th
By Jason Lisk September 24, 2013 2:18 pm ET
I found some interesting stuff.....of course it is all up for interpretation. ...but I'll post it tomorrow afternoon. It's pretty in depth.. i have to work 4am et tomorrow ...but with 1 or 2 exceptions these great Qbs in the mind of the champ all had chinks in they're armor and weren't actually great until they're 3rd or forth year in league ...lol Bernie Kozar?

Go Rams...... ;)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree with everyone who's more worried about our D, although I am surprised Goff would stare down his receiver (int at the end)--you'd think at this point he'd be beyond that. I think the offense will generally continually improve as Goff gets more games under his belt.

Couple of things here. 1) were are LOADED with pass rushers ... not so much on run stuffers. 2) Barron is not an effective ILB in a 3-4 scheme. Too light in the pants. 3) Our only "true" LB .. Ogletree, has terrible "eyes" He just doesn't see things like a great ILB does. He over pursues constantly or gets abused by counter moves/misdirection plays. He just isn't disciplined enough