McVay’s Primary Job Making Goff Not a Goof!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ok, X, so who on the offense DID play well? With the possible exception of Britt, seemingly every player on that side of the ball played poorly, based on expectations and prior performance.
None of them played well consistently. Some of them had good games, and sometimes in stretches, but there was no consistency over the course of the season. Too many mental errors, not enough continuity on the line, substandard in-game adjustments from the coordinator, and some lazy effort from some of the players down the stretch. That *will* have an effect on the QB, but you can still judge a QB on his performance when things are going right (e.g., time in the pocket, open receivers, etc). I'm not of the opinion that Goff or Keenum couldn't perform - at all - because the whole team is shit. That's not how player evals work - to me. If he has a highlight vid, it couldn't have been *all* bad. A lowlights vid would be just as relevant.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, if hired, Aaron Kromer, the guy that punched a kid in the face and threatened to kill him, is going to play a significant role in Goff's mental maturation/development??? Lord help us all.

Well, Billy, let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

…..

Legend
So, if hired, Aaron Kromer, the guy that punched a kid in the face and threatened to kill him, is going to play a significant role in Goff's mental maturation/development??? Lord help us all.

If hired?

IF HIRED?

Theres a whole thread dedicated to this topic. It is, and will continue to be a complete waste of energy.

Unless he's hired.

But ya'll are spending an awful lot of time and energy worrying about a guy not even hired.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
If hired?

IF HIRED?

Theres a whole thread dedicated to this topic. It is, and will continue to be a complete waste of energy.

Unless he's hired.

But ya'll are spending an awful lot of time and energy worrying about a guy not even hired.
maybe a waste of energy for you but I can stand to lose a few pounds after the holidays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My take, the tools are there, just have to tailor the offense to his strengths and he'll be just fine

Doing this from an iPhone so forgive me for the "readers digest" version

No worries my Ram brother and believe me I realize this post would come under scrunity, but watching the Goff interview after the McVay hiring just seem to be the same old diatribe. I felt what an opportunity to talk about what him and McVay covered, but Goff just likes to play things close to the vest and there was one thread that many interviewed was pro Goff so that makes me more optimistic.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Gurley had a great rookie campaign that's why, but all of us are still concerned and I will leave that thread to another.

Exactly right....we have seen Gurley perform at a high level, so there is expectation that he gets there again.

My take as well on Gurley. And, Gurley played at a higher level against better competition in the SEC as a college player.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Diffetent pieces of the same puzzle. The OL coach hire will be a big one and could go along way to solving a whole host of problems.
Goff holding the ball and being late on throws is not an OL issue though. That is a bi product of his inexperience and weaknesses.

....and possibly poor scheme and WRs not getting open.

I think Goff was in a horrible situation all the way around. I can't recall more than a very few ocassions where he actually had time to drop back scan the field and go through his progressions. And just about every 3rd down was 3rd and long due to poor running game or dumb penalties.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I understand that, but small hands, feet and neck I unlike others not sure if there is there is opportunity to get bigger. I just hope the next Strength & Conditioning Coach factors in nutrition as well because that is what Goff needs IMHO. And I don't need to be reminded of his enzyme deficiency.

Maybe a good diet with Omega 3 fatty fish lipids. Vitamin B12 for memory, and more vitamin D watching the sun during its day cycle?

Bruce2980

Starter
....and possibly poor scheme and WRs not getting open.

I think Goff was in a horrible situation all the way around. I can't recall more than a very few ocassions where he actually had time to drop back scan the field and go through his progressions. And just about every 3rd down was 3rd and long due to poor running game or dumb penalties.
Even Kurt Warner said on Phoenix sport radio that he didn't think that any QB could do anything in this Rams offense, when talking just prior to Goff starting for the first time. And as far as I am concerned, that is enough said about this subject until 2017 and a real offense with competent coaches take over. Anything other than that is 100% pure speculation.
Trying to guess Goff's football IQ based on statements and interviews? Really?
Trying to understand his talent in that mess called an offense? Really?
Gurley looked like a 7th round draft pick with a bum knees as far as I could tell. No vision, no burst, no breaking tackles, no ability to make one guy miss in the open field, no ability to cut back against the flow of the defense. No ability to go around or in front of your TE who just got bulldozed five yards into the backfield, again.
I'm optimistic, good coaching will have good results, and Fisher will never be hired after the turn around this team will have this year.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
From your mouth to my ears....totally agree.

What you're saying is that because he doesn't know where the sun sets or rises, it somehow doesn't make him sharp.
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying...Unless you live in constant cloud cover....I couldn't see how this doesn't concern some people. Pretty much every car you jump in has a navigation thingy that tells you N, S, E, W....and he never noticed? Not in his 21 years? The worst part of that piece on Hard Knocks, the next guy was unsure also. Think he had problems with the word "rises"....
Why are so many people worried about Goff, but nobody seems worried about Gurley?
Gurley has had significant success at this level. It leads ME to believe he can achieve it again. His measureables are off the charts with speed & size. If I was worried about anything with Gurley, it's his mental makeup....He may have quit running hard after week 1.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
-abandon-thread-GIF.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The fact that he didn't pick up the offense as quickly as we all hoped is more important than the fact that he didn't know where the sun rises and sets - although neither one is a notch in the old intelligence belt - but he is, after all, just a kid. Let's give him a fresh "rookie" season with a real scheme to work with and see how he does.
Right? Did I miss the offensive player that "picked up this offense" well? Britt did fairly well compared to what we've seen from most of our receivers over the past decade. The idea that a rookie QB couldn't pick up this offense is kinda laughable to me. It seemed that defenses picked up our offense better than our offense picked up our offense.

Even Kurt Warner said on Phoenix sport radio that he didn't think that any QB could do anything in this Rams offense, when talking just prior to Goff starting for the first time. And as far as I am concerned, that is enough said about this subject until 2017
This. I liked much of the skill set I saw with Goff but will hold my opinion until I see him play in a real offense.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Put me in the group that thinks its a little odd to not know where the sun sets.

Still.....dont ya need to be a little goofy to thrive in LA?
I consider myself to be at least average in terms of intelligence. I'm a psych major so there were plenty of tough classes. That said, I didn't know where the sun set and I have friends from Eastern countries (so I knew they were ahead of us for a reason). It's just an odd question that you wouldn't know right away if you didn't think about it

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great coaching raises players. Goff had a pack of buffoons that seemed more interested in giving lessons on swagger than they were raising his awareness in being able to anticipate defenses. They were a poor match for Jared.

McCay is going to prepare him well and all these people talkin $#!t in the media are gonna realize his talent.

The ball is gonna be out quickly and accurately and Gurley is gonna remind the NFL how good he is.

Glorious days are ahead for us dudes, now we just sit back and enjoy watching it all take form.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are so many people worried about Goff, but nobody seems worried about Gurley?

Was it the Oline that has everyone thinking Gurley will bounce back? Because that's the same offensive line.

When they got push and Goff set his feet, his passes were smart, well timed (usually), and accurate.

Fix the line, get receivers who actually catch, and Goff will thrive.
Because todd has already done it before

…..

Legend
I wouldnt be so judgmental if say...he didnt know what side of the tree the moss grows on. Or how to find the Northern Star. At some point you would thinkl a person might learn from a cartoon where the sun sets. Or....and I know this a bit of a stretch here....but maaaaaaybe he learns where the sun rises, then using standard common sense could possibly, maybe...you know....lead him to the right answer about where it sets.

I guess its possible for some growing boys to never do boy stuff. Like learn how to tie a knot. Set a hook. Add air to a tire. But yeah...whatever.

As long as he throws alot of Ram touchdowns I suppose it can be overlooked that he's a little pansy.

…..

Legend
Chill????

wow.

alittle sensitive arent ya there @TheDYVKX ?

This whole place turning into a bunch of pansies? Not that theres anything wrong with that I guess. :unsure:

\Good grief....again.