McVay’s Primary Job Making Goff Not a Goof!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
It does make him incurious about a daily natural event. It showed that he never cared to ask the question or to figure it out. We all do similarly about a subjects we care nothing about...

if I were asked that question in a serious situation i might think it was some kind of trick question and be kind of fuzzed

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
If this past season didnt leave you worrying about Gurley in the future, then Im not sure how you can make a fair assessment on Goff either. Gurley was the rookie of the year, looked like a perennial all pro, and arguably the best back in the league in his only season in the NFL before this one. Then he looked like a 5th round draft pick in way over his head at best. If you are going to play that HUMONGOUS drop off purely on the lackluster offensive personnel/scheme its only fair to do the same to Goff. Any offense that can make a guy that played as well as gurley did in year 1 look so bad the next year, can easily do the same to a rookie qb, especially one learning a pro style offense for the 1st time

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Chill????

wow.

alittle sensitive arent ya there @TheDYVKX ?

This whole place turning into a bunch of pansies? Not that theres anything wrong with that I guess. :unsure:

\Good grief....again.

You're taking this sun set thing way too seriously, and now you're making judgements on his life and what type of person he is from it?

Yeah. Chill. All I have to say about that.

HellRam

Starter
If this past season didnt leave you worrying about Gurley in the future, then Im not sure how you can make a fair assessment on Goff either. Gurley was the rookie of the year, looked like a perennial all pro, and arguably the best back in the league in his only season in the NFL before this one. Then he looked like a 5th round draft pick in way over his head at best. If you are going to play that HUMONGOUS drop off purely on the lackluster offensive personnel/scheme its only fair to do the same to Goff. Any offense that can make a guy that played as well as gurley did in year 1 look so bad the next year, can easily do the same to a rookie qb, especially one learning a pro style offense for the 1st time

Well said...I was thinking the exact same thing. Goff and Gurley should be judged on performance equally especially considering the circumstances.

…..

Legend
You're taking this sun set thing way too seriously, and now you're making judgements on his life and what type of person he is from it?

Yeah. Chill. All I have to say about that.

I guess you NEED blue font huh?

Life aint all that serious. I hope I didnt cause a medical emergency when I stepped on your toes. (y)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Most know the sun rises in the east. At least anyone that has spent rime in the great outdoors or had to use an actual map.
With technology now, people don't need rudimentary skills they way many of us needed growing up.
My phone now, does more than all the devices in our home growing up. Crazy to think I can talk into my phone and get just about any information or directions to just about anything or anywhere.
So. A 21 year old kid raised in a technologically heavy environment, doesn't know the son rises in the East. BFD

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'm not saying, I'm posting and yes that does concern me...Goff's responses to me does not come of natural, everything he says, sounds rehersed Everything he says, seems rehersed. Again that is JMHO and it's was not only that statement. When he's interviewed, he repeats what he says all the time..."I'm excited." for example, that is just how I perceive him and again I'm not saying he might not have know the answer of where the sun rises and sets, however, he was unsure and chose not to answer the question, which IMHO concerns me and did not want to give the wrong answer, which is concerning.

I think all professional athletes get some kind of training in dealing with the media. I'm guessing they are told to keep things safe/generic to some degree, and not say anything that could be controversial etc I don't think this in any way reflects on his intelligence.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most know the sun rises in the east. At least anyone that has spent rime in the great outdoors or had to use an actual map.
With technology now, people don't need rudimentary skills they way many of us needed growing up.
My phone now, does more than all the devices in our home growing up. Crazy to think I can talk into my phone and get just about any information or directions to just about anything or anywhere.
So. A 21 year old kid raised in a technologically heavy environment, doesn't know the son rises in the East. BFD

Interesting thought, Dodgers. That makes some sense.

Still hard for most of us to compute. Lol.

…..

Legend

exactly.

I can be narrow minded enough to make fun or belittle it, but still open minded enough to still see you are spot on. I dont think it affects the football player Goff. I'd still want him on my football team. Just not in my foxhole....well wait, he could be a wiz kid at Call of Duty....so bad analogy.

oh hell....I cant win. I am turning into the old guy I grew up laughing at!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Because todd has already done it before

He only averaged 5 yards a carry or more in 5 out of 28 starts.

He only has FIVE 100 yard games out of 28 starts.

Yes, he came out ON FIRE, but he hasn't really done anything since those first 4 games, with the exception of one other.

So, if 5 out of 28 is having done it before, why isn't 1 out of 7 from a much harder position?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Yes, he came out ON FIRE, but he hasn't really done anything since those first 4 games, with the exception of one other.

So, if 5 out of 28 is having done it before, why isn't 1 out of 7 from a much harder position?

Interesting...

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think there was a stat that showed that he got the most contact at the money of scrimmage in the nfl.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think there was a stat that showed that he got the most contact at the money of scrimmage in the nfl.

And you think that a line that is allowing contact at the line of scrimmage is going to give you an accurate reading of what our rookie QB can do? He's a rookie QB behind the worst line in the nfl. Our line is so bad that not even "the best runningback since Adrian Peterson" can break 100 yards in a game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And you think that a line that is allowing contact at the line of scrimmage is going to give you an accurate reading of what our rookie QB can do? He's a rookie QB behind the worst line in the nfl. Our line is so bad that not even "the best runningback since Adrian Peterson" can break 100 yards in a game.
I know ours was bad, and it was exacerbated by the "non-descript" offense we were running, but there were a few lines that were worse than ours. Seattle's and Minnesota's were worse, as was San DIego's and Miami's. Many have commented that Gurley wasn't running the same as last year - missing holes, and not running with as much aggression. And the QBs weren't constantly under siege either. There were many times when you could isolate RB and QB play throughout the season and form an independent assessment on a game-by-game basis, but the offense as a whole was so lame, that it all seems to blend together as one big pile of suck now. Bottom line is, nobody really played as well as they could have. Both QBs and the RB included.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think this in any way reflects on his intelligence.

You're are probably right, but Kevin Demoff just stated one of the reasons they hired Sean McVay was his interaction with Jared Goff and the best you can do is "I'm excited." I don't care how you have been coached Jared sometimes the fan base needs to hear different verbiage then "We'll get this right." "And I will work real hard." "How about Coach McVay's energy and passion is infectious." Something or "I can't wait for OTA's?."

Again I do realize I could be too tough on the kid and he's very young so moving forward I will await to see how things go under McVay as he tries to take this sad song and make it better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You're are probably right, but Kevin Demoff just stated one of the reasons they hired Sean McVay was his interaction with Jared Goff and the best you can do is "I'm excited." I don't care how you have been coached Jared sometimes the fan base needs to hear different verbiage then "We'll get this right." "And I will work real hard." "How about Coach McVay's energy and passion is infectious." Something or "I can't wait for OTA's?."

Again I do realize I could be too tough on the kid and he's very young so moving forward I will await to see how things go under McVay as he tries to take this sad song and make it better.
I've often found that when people begin to dictate how a player or coach should respond to something, even going as far as to give them the words they'd like to hear, and getting irritated that they didn't use them, that it signals a bias that's pretty deep rooted. I wasn't impressed with Goff either, but the very last thing I have a problem with is his enthusiasm or dedication to his craft. Also; he may be a little reserved, and he might not be a mensa member, but I seriously doubt that he's not excited or ready to immerse himself fully in the new system.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
but I seriously doubt that he's not excited or ready to immerse himself fully in the new system.

Well, I know he's excited, he's utilized the word 672 times.