McVay’s Primary Job Making Goff Not a Goof!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's usually just a nerves things, not everyone is good at public speaking.

Maybe a major in communications or public relations (speaking) would have served him better than sociology. Again, I'm rough on the kid and he's young so I'm sure he will improve in every area.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I wouldnt be so judgmental if say...he didnt know what side of the tree the moss grows on. Or how to find the Northern Star. At some point you would thinkl a person might learn from a cartoon where the sun sets. Or....and I know this a bit of a stretch here....but maaaaaaybe he learns where the sun rises, then using standard common sense could possibly, maybe...you know....lead him to the right answer about where it sets.

I guess its possible for some growing boys to never do boy stuff. Like learn how to tie a knot. Set a hook. Add air to a tire. But yeah...whatever.

As long as he throws alot of Ram touchdowns I suppose it can be overlooked that he's a little pansy.
I'm with you Dog and Den.
Anyone who makes it to 20 years old and can't tell you where the sun rises and sets there is just something not right there.Everyone making excuses for it, really??? He didn't even go to public school did he so you can't blame it on that. And, being at Cal you'd think he would get a clue watching it set behind the Golden Gate.

So he's a little behind when it comes to basic common sense things, meh. And he didn't get a lot of help in his rookie year. Well, now he will have one of the consensus brilliant up and coming coaches to get him on track.

If he throws some TDs and gets this franchise turned around I'll volunteer to take him camping and teach him some boy scout stuff. Who knows maybe he can even catch a fish.o_O

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Maybe a major in communications or public relations (speaking) would have served him better than sociology. Again, I'm rough on the kid and he's young so I'm sure he will improve in every area.

So now he picked the wrong major? Dude...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He only averaged 5 yards a carry or more in 5 out of 28 starts.

He only has FIVE 100 yard games out of 28 starts.

Yes, he came out ON FIRE, but he hasn't really done anything since those first 4 games, with the exception of one other.

So, if 5 out of 28 is having done it before, why isn't 1 out of 7 from a much harder position?
He showed an improvement as a receiver, which shows promise. Todd had his fair share of problems running the football, the majority of it was the line/scheme/coaching, if it was all/mostly on him he'd also perform poorly as a pass catcher.

jap

Legend
Most know the sun rises in the east. At least anyone that has spent rime in the great outdoors or had to use an actual map.
With technology now, people don't need rudimentary skills they way many of us needed growing up.
My phone now, does more than all the devices in our home growing up. Crazy to think I can talk into my phone and get just about any information or directions to just about anything or anywhere.
So. A 21 year old kid raised in a technologically heavy environment, doesn't know the son rises in the East. BFD

Technology use to the extreme can create some ridiculous situations. I recall Jerry Pournelle, one of the editors for the old BYTE computer magazine, writing in his regular column, The Electronic Cottage, about how he, his wife, and kids all got email accounts back at the dawn of the Internet (circa 1995). Everyone started enthusiastically sending & receiving emails really heavily and no longer had anything to say to each other at the dinner table. The common human face-to-face contact became effectively defunct and replaced by the face-to-screen dynamic.

Jared: "Welcome to the cybernetic age, folks! I sure as hell don't know where or when the sun rises or sets but you bet your bottom dollar that my smart phone does!!! Who needs all that silly stuff in one's head when they can just access their smart phone?"

It's like some of the high school/college kids I once taught who couldn't navigate ordinary computations without a calculator. The ability to handle mental mathematics has severely decreased with the rise of pocket calculators, PDA's, smart phones, and hand held computers.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Technology use to the extreme can create some ridiculous situations. I recall Jerry Pournelle, one of the editors for the old BYTE computer magazine, writing in his regular column, The Electronic Cottage, about how he, his wife, and kids all got email accounts back at the dawn of the Internet (circa 1995). Everyone started enthusiastically sending & receiving emails really heavily and no longer had anything to say to each other at the dinner table. The common human face-to-face contact became effectively defunct and replaced by the face-to-screen dynamic.

Jared: "Welcome to the cybernetic age, folks! I sure as hell don't know where or when the sun rises or sets but you bet your bottom dollar that my smart phone does!!! Who needs all that silly stuff in one's head when they can just access their smart phone?"

It's like some of the high school/college kids I once taught who couldn't navigate ordinary computations without a calculator. The ability to handle mental mathematics has severely decreased with the rise of pocket calculators, PDA's, smart phones, and hand held computers.
It's done the same harm in the business world. Relationships aren't what they were a few years ago.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I guess now that the new HC has been hired it should be expected by ROD members to ponder the Rams franchise quarterback situation again and especially since McVay is an offensive guru and QB friendly.

I don't fret or worry about the garbage crap Jared displayed in 2016. I'm not going to make silly guarantees of future success on the horizon but I've seen enough things that showed me what I thought, projected and guessed he would be by the start of the 2018 season.

There is no doubt that Goff regressed from the first half of the Saints game and I'm not going to bore anyone with who, what and why that happened. (ROD members are wise enough to make their own cases for or against.)

This kid is still in diapers and to me his 7 game sample from 2016 is severely skewed and has no parallel of what to expect from him in the last 7 games of his 2017 season.

You can earmark this post coach den.. Until week 10 of the 2017 season, will be the time frame in which JG (is out of diapers) and should no longer be given excuses for those agonizing moments of quarterback play that he displayed in 2016.

Week 10 of 2017.. That game will be his 17th start as a professional quarterback and is usually enough of a sample size to make a realistic, logical judgement of what he may or may not be.

I have heard John Clayton, Greg Cosell and others (give their QB feedback from talking to several GM's) say how they've been told it takes approximately 16 to 25 starts before you can be fairly certain of what type of starting quarterback you have on your NFL roster.

Now obviously if Jared blows chunks for the first 7-8 games under McVay's watch next season, we may never see him make it to game number 10 in 2017.

If this is the case JG might end up being nothing more than the caliber of a backup quarterback and coach McVay would sadly have to take another course of action for the 2018 season.

Another full off-season, 4 preseason games and 10 regular season games, is long ways past what our eyes will have seen and perceived in 2016.

__.._
hqdefault.jpg

da989eb97a8ee01b33b40adaaa0a1c10.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If this past season didnt leave you worrying about Gurley in the future, then Im not sure how you can make a fair assessment on Goff either. Gurley was the rookie of the year, looked like a perennial all pro, and arguably the best back in the league in his only season in the NFL before this one. Then he looked like a 5th round draft pick in way over his head at best. If you are going to play that HUMONGOUS drop off purely on the lackluster offensive personnel/scheme its only fair to do the same to Goff. Any offense that can make a guy that played as well as gurley did in year 1 look so bad the next year, can easily do the same to a rookie qb, especially one learning a pro style offense for the 1st time

Todd who ?? Not even a flash . Gurley give us something to get excited about.

You just made me wonder were that 5th grade offense quite came from ?

My thinking is now that Skip Pete & Boras told him to just run the play as it is designed ?? He never really cut back & in open field never jumped over anybody.
Wonder if the coaching staff had him in tight reins ??
It's hard to believe how far Todd Gurley slipped from year one to year too.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So now he picked the wrong major? Dude...

Yes, he did! Good point, I understand that if you have visions of an athletic career you select a major that will allow you the time to focus on your craft so I can understand not majoring in molecular genetics, however, I just thought maybe these guys would be better served with a degree in public relations or communications/public speaking to aid them when dealing with the public.

My post was just a response to another post claiming he ueses the same words because of nerves and that not everyone is a polished speaker.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What's this thing about the sun rising??

It was on Hard Knocks, Goff was asked by his position coach where does the sun rise and set and his response was, "I'm not sure." Weinke then asked the UDRFA QB they just signed and he answered it rises in the east and sets in the west and Goff acted as he just did not know the answer.

Now maybe he did know the answer and was afraid to answer because he thought it was a trick question, but it was a head scratcher that's for sure.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And I close with Jared Goff's response when asked his feeling about the hiring of Sean McVay and again this was not the interview he did with Dani Klupenger, it was directly after the press conference.

"I'm very excited," said Goff who spent a few hours with McVay this week before the decision was announced. "I said to myself, 'If they pick him, I'm going to be really excited.' And they did. I liked it."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And I close with Jared Goff's response when asked his feeling about the hiring of Sean McVay and again this was not the interview he did with Dani Klupenger, it was directly after the press conference.

"I'm very excited," said Goff who spent a few hours with McVay this week before the decision was announced. "I said to myself, 'If they pick him, I'm going to be really excited.' And they did. I liked it."
It's a pretty popular expression.

“I’m having a hard time even putting into words how excited I am to be the new head coach for the Los Angeles Chargers,” Lynn said. “
“He’s a natural-born leader. As you can tell, I am very excited about the leadership qualities he’s going to bring to our team. He is really going to communicate and connect with our players. He’s had a number of great coaching influences in his life and as a former player who won two Super Bowls, Anthony knows first-hand what championship pedigree is all about. We couldn’t be more excited to have him lead our franchise into this exciting new era of Chargers football.”
I'm excited. Goff has the full of array of tools needed to be great. I fully expect him to reach his potential under a staff not stuck in the 1980s.
I am excited.
I'm excited about our future, looking forward to hearing who he picks for OC and the numerous assistant coaches.
GO RAMS !
don't get me wrong - i like him and im excited.
"The players will be excited about the energy and how serious we are about a winning culture"
McVay sounds very articulate and intelligent. I like the guy! He definitely carries himself well and he acts much older than he is. I am excited with the hire.
Sean is so into it that I think it will work out great. He going to get the most out of Goff too. It' hard not to get excited watching and listening to him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's a pretty popular expression.

It is, however, redundancy can be over the top. It's Goff's go to word and I get it, I just feel he's programmed himself to say that as opposed to how he truly feels. He said the same thing when asked how he felt finally having an opportunity to start.

Now I'm being rough on the kid and at 22 I'm sure the word(s) that I said all the time was bodacious tatas, but I'm looking for something different from him, Goff seems robotic in his responses and not natural, IMHO, he's afraid to give the wrong answer so he either goes to his programmed response or does not answer the question at all and does not trust his inner self again JMHO.

For example if he was now asked where the sun rises and sets I am sure his response would be: "I'm just excited to see the sun rise and very excited when it sets."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Aaron Donald says "so" at the end of almost every sentence he speaks...so. We should get rid of that guy too....