McVay’s Primary Job Making Goff Not a Goof!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie
No bias, how do you think he played this year? Again the team around him was bad, but what did you see besides being able to take a hit, that provides some hope of optimism?

He played better than what his numbers suggest. 4 of those ints weren't his fault. Countless dropped passes, drive killing plays on the offensive line, dropped TD's passes, stupid ref mistakes (falcons 50 yard td called back), stupid playcalling, horrible route running by wide receivers, the running game was garbage, quitting teammates. He played as good as a rookie could play given what he was surrounded by.

…..

Legend
The new wiz kid Head Coaching playcaller and the as yet unnounced OC do not remove the "excuses" for Goff's winless record. McVay cannot block and coach at the same time. The line still needs to be addressed.

Saying Goff was less than pro ready, even while knowing full well we had a sham of an offense, an even worse sham of a coordinator, isnt exactly setting up a fair comarison. I am not making excuses, I hate that. But even I cannot discount the seriousness of how bad our offense, hell even the entire philosophy, was to the development of a rookie QB no matter how talented or where he was drafted. Goff clearly has great natural ability. He just needs to feel more comfortable. NO ONE would have found any comfort in the offense we had last year. NO ONE.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
One of the major reasons that the Los Angeles Rams hired Sean McVay was because of the way he interacted with Jared Goff. Goff again in an interview with Dani Klupenger on the hiring of McVay, kept utilizing his favorite adjective “excited.” Suffice it to post, McVay has his work cut out for him and he needs to ensure to hire a QB Coach that can be a Goff confident if the Rams truly have their Field General of the future.

No reason to put the draft choice under the microscope again, it is obvious to everyone that Carson Wentz was more pro ready then Goff. Many tried to inform me that coming from a shot gun offense to a pro-style offense transition was overrated, but that is the furthest from the truth because Goff had not taken snaps under center even in High School and it was obvious from day one he was not comfortable doing that and is the very reason why, it took him that long to make the transition and why he sat on the bench for several games.

Goff although being touted as bright (38 on the wonderlic) was a sociology major at Cal and IMO that is not an aggressive major add in the question of where the sun rises and sets and IMO, Goff is not sharp. There is a difference between smart and sharp and right now Goff to me does not come off sharp.

Now I understand he did not have the best set of circumstances last season, but moving forward there are going to be no more excuses. He has an offensive QB Whisperer that has been trained for this type of gig and there is no debating that he made Kirk Cousins better so now we get to see if in essence Goff has what it takes to be worthy of the ransom the Rams traded to move up to draft him.

It won’t take long because we will know on draft day if McVay truly believes that Goff has the makeup to be a quality quarterback in the NFL. If the Rams draft a QB in the 4th round for example somebody like a Chad Kelly and they spin it that you always draft a QB if you can, well, in that, we will be able to read between the lines.

Again IMO, the only game where Goff showed me anything was in the New Orleans game, every other game besides being able to take a hit, he showed me nothing and believe me, if he showed anything I would post about it because I want him to be great. Moving forward no more excuses, McVay will be tasked with improving the number one overall draft choice to where he can actually be the Quarterback of a winning team because at this moment Jared Goff’s overall record in the NFL is 0-7, that’s right 0-7.

Now again I don’t question Goff’s desire or toughness, but I want to see him not only in the film room, but also in the weight room because he does not have NFL body. Many have posted that McVay is the type of coach that can bring out the best in Goff because he’s more of a “Self-Discovery” type of guy then drilling and calling out the player. Well, we are about to see how this unfolds because to this point, IMHO, Goff has not showcased much and I’m anxious to see with McVay that indeed it was the cast and the coaching more than the player that might have been overhyped because of the California Connection.
I would take 18 year old USC star QB Sam Darnold over Goff right now. That hurts.

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
No bias, how do you think he played this year? Again the team around him was bad, but what did you see besides being able to take a hit, that provides some hope of optimism?

I didn't even have the opportunities to watch a lot of the games. But when I was able to even watch the hi-lights it was easy to see the arm strength, decent footwork, quick release at times, and his ability to make the throws that an expected starting QB is supposed to make. No, he wasn't close to perfect or even consistent most of the time. But I saw enough to have optimism and confidence in the new HC and staff's ability to make him awesome potentially.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
. He played as good as a rookie could play given what he was surrounded by.

Okay we will agree to disagree, I felt he did not play well at all again with the exception of the New Orleans game, IMHO, you look for a glimpse of hope under those conditions and I just felt Goff was as bad as the cast around him added to that the Rams waited to start him and IMHO, McVay will be starting from ground zero.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would take 18 year old USC star QB Sam Darnold over Goff right now. That hurts.

I wouldn't go that far and I still believe in Goff, but under McVay if I don't start to see more of the New Orleans type Goff and I see more of the other games I will become very concerned and if they draft a QB as early as the 4th then again that will concern me as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But I saw enough to have optimism and confidence in the new HC and staff's ability to make him awesome potentially.

That's great, but I am also looking beyond the playing field. I believe Goff when he says he will be dedicated to his craft and that he will be in Los Angeles every day in the off season. McVay brings quite a bit to the table offensively and once preseason starts I will hope to see a different Jared Goff, but until then I will temper my optimism because watching all the games from kickoff to final gun, I did not see enough from Goff to have some trepidation moving forward.

RambleOn

UDFA
I was happy to hear him say during his one on one interview with Dani that he was staying in LA this off season. Let's hope he puts in some hard work to get better.

…..

Legend
Put me in the group that thinks its a little odd to not know where the sun sets.

Still.....dont ya need to be a little goofy to thrive in LA?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I understand that, but small hands, feet and neck I unlike others not sure if there is there is opportunity to get bigger. I just hope the next Strength & Conditioning Coach factors in nutrition as well because that is what Goff needs IMHO. And I don't need to be reminded of his enzyme deficiency.
Small hands?

Seriously, I just can't take you serious my friend

9 1/4 are not small hands, mine are actually the same size and I've never had issues gripping a football

Ya think Joe Montana had small hands? Lol they weren't even an issue back then

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm very worried about Goff. I don't think we have to rehash how he's looked but he's our guy for two years. At least we brought in a guy to coach who will either get the most out of him or we'll know beyond a pretty reasonable doubt after two years that Goff was a mistake. All in time for the new stadium!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Small hands?

Seriously, I just can't take you serious my friend

9 1/4 are not small hands, mine are actually the same size and I've never had issues gripping a football

Ya think Joe Montana had small hands? Lol they weren't even an issue back then

I'm not posting it's in issue, I'm posting with smaller type hands, neck & feet the opportunity for a bigger frame to his height is not necessarily there. You can't take me seriously? you did not even read what I posted correctly...

JRobinson

MiLB
That's great, but I am also looking beyond the playing field. I believe Goff when he says he will be dedicated to his craft and that he will be in Los Angeles every day in the off season. McVay brings quite a bit to the table offensively and once preseason starts I will hope to see a different Jared Goff, but until then I will temper my optimism because watching all the games from kickoff to final gun, I did not see enough from Goff to have some trepidation moving forward.

What other attributes 'beyond the playing field' do you speak of? If I were a betting man, which I'm not, but if I were, I'd bet he's a first in-last out type of guy. Either way, I personally respect your opinion but I feel it may be slightly preconceived. No matter what though, regardless, I would expect that you would fully support and pull for this squad regardless of personal opinions up to this point.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Why are so many people worried about Goff, but nobody seems worried about Gurley?

Was it the Oline that has everyone thinking Gurley will bounce back? Because that's the same offensive line.

When they got push and Goff set his feet, his passes were smart, well timed (usually), and accurate.

Fix the line, get receivers who actually catch, and Goff will thrive.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
No he didn't. And it's okay to say so.
It doesn't mean he won't get better.

Ok, X, so who on the offense DID play well? With the possible exception of Britt, seemingly every player on that side of the ball played poorly, based on expectations and prior performance.

The entire offense was a disaster; coaching, scheme, personnel, and execution. Boras was a poor choice for OC, and we couldn't find a better choice for a variety of reasons, including the probable perception that Fisher was a meddler and a lame duck. The scheme, as has been pointed out ad nauseam, was a "Frankenstein's Monster" (thanks Mack) of bits and pieces of different concepts, with impossibly long and convoluted verbiage, particularly when you factor in how maddeningly predictable it was. The decision to reshuffle the O-line right before the opener was a head scratcher, as was the incomprehensible mix of power and zone concepts. Execution was a disaster on all fronts, as the line failed to protect or open holes in the run game, Gurley suddenly lost vision and patience, receivers routinely ran incorrect and/or lazy routes, then failed to catch the football at an alarming rate. When things did go well, you could always count on a drive-killing (or TD nullifying) penalty to restore disorder.

And no, Goff did not play well. Aside from one half vs New Orleans, he looked like a beleaguered rookie. This was no surprise, given his "development". Why wasn't he getting first team reps from the get go? You want to develop a QB? Fine, stand pat and take Lynch, or continue to "develop" Mannion. This is what I can't understand; If your plan is to sit the rookie, only give him 2nd and 3rd team reps thru TC and pre-season, why move up to draft the guy? I could see the logic of this if he falls to you, sure. But if you're gonna give up all those picks, and you are SURE that he is the guy, you gotta go all in. Scheme the offense around him, what he does well, and gradually add things as he progresses.

I realized as I typed the above, that our coaching staff, in retrospect, probably wouldn't have been able to do all this anyway. It's a moot point, For better or worse, we are stuck with Goff for the near future, IMO, he has the physical tools to be a great QB. Whether he can absorb coaching and improve to that level is the question. If McVay could help Cousins become what he is today, he should work wonders for Goff.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would expect that you would fully support and pull for this squad regardless of personal opinions up to this point.

When OTA's begin I will look forward to all the information that communicates the difference between one year to the next will be night and day. Again I can't put a finger on it, but when I listen to Goff I just get the feeling he wants to say what everyone wants him to say and maybe I will admire that moving forward, but again I watched every game he played in preseason and the regular season and to this point I have reservations, but my hope is that I scrutinized him more because he's a Ram, however, we will all know more once the new coaching staff is in place.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm not posting it's in issue, I'm posting with smaller type hands, neck & feet the opportunity for a bigger frame to his height is not necessarily there. You can't take me seriously? you did not even read what I posted correctly...

Nah, I'm reading the "stuff?" you're posting just fine

I tend to agree with you on many topics, on this one not so much

My take, the tools are there, just have to tailor the offense to his strengths and he'll be just fine

Doing this from an iPhone so forgive me for the "readers digest" version

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I actually think a new OL Coach will factor in much more in his development or lack there of, IMHO.
So, if hired, Aaron Kromer, the guy that punched a kid in the face and threatened to kill him, is going to play a significant role in Goff's mental maturation/development??? Lord help us all.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why are so many people worried about Goff, but nobody seems worried about Gurley?

Gurley had a great rookie campaign that's why, but all of us are still concerned and I will leave that thread to another.