McVay’s Primary Job Making Goff Not a Goof!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was on Hard Knocks, Goff was asked by his position coach where does the sun rise and set and his response was, "I'm not sure." Weinke then asked the UDRFA QB they just signed and he answered it rises in the east and sets in the west and Goff acted as he just did not know the answer.

Now maybe he did know the answer and was afraid to answer because he thought it was a trick question, but it was a head scratcher that's for sure.

Den, if you had asked me nine or ten months ago where does the sun rise and set, I'd have given you the same answer that Goff gave Weinke. Simply because it's not something I care about and would not have immediately come to mind. And that's despite the fact that I am an Eagle Scout who has been camping, fishing, and hunting since I was a kid.

Now, if you had instead asked me to explain the rules of tracing when attempting to create a constructive trust in an unjust enrichment claim, I'd have been able to give you a detailed answer. It's because I studied that and found it to be fairly interesting.

When you ask people an obscure question about something they aren't interested in, you're likely not going to get an intelligent response, even if it seems like a common sense answer to you.

It seems silly to still be harping on such irrelevant things. I am not surprised that Goff sounds unpolished and mechanical in front of the media. He's a 22-year old kid who was thrust into the role as the face of the franchise. He was a college kid a year ago. Most people are going to sound the same way in that scenario. Let's be realistic with our expectations.(plus, again, it's such an irrelevant thing to harp on)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff although being touted as bright (38 on the wonderlic) was a sociology major at Cal and IMO that is not an aggressive major add in the question of where the sun rises and sets and IMO, Goff is not sharp. There is a difference between smart and sharp and right now Goff to me does not come off sharp.
You really believe that "sun rise" crap?

You actually think that was real?
That was scripted reality tv bullshit. thats all.
Let that nonsense go. Its ridiculous. Have you taken the wonderlich? It would be an amazingly difficult thing to GET A 38 and be THAT stupid.

You think sociology isnt "an aggressive" major? Fine, he isnt an engineer but so what? Its not a class for idiots.
You dont see how a sociology major could be applied to TEAM sports?
He is using the word "excited" too frequently for you?

I think you are great at analyzing football and breaking down the game... but measuring someones intelligence or percieved lack thereof comes off as reaching and stretching to meet your own pre-concieved notions, in my honest opinion.

Btw- I think Carson Wentz looks and sounds about as smart as a box of rocks.... but I dont know him. He could be a football savant.

Watching Goff at Cal? That isnt a dim-witted jock.

Infact... i think its brilliant. After studying basic psychology, he has to be aware of himself and how people will percieve him.
I think he plays on the California Blonde routine...
"Where you are strong, pretend to be weak."

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It is, however, redundancy can be over the top. It's Goff's go to word and I get it, I just feel he's programmed himself to say that as opposed to how he truly feels. He said the same thing when asked how he felt finally having an opportunity to start.

Now I'm being rough on the kid and at 22 I'm sure the word(s) that I said all the time was bodacious tatas, but I'm looking for something different from him, Goff seems robotic in his responses and not natural, IMHO, he's afraid to give the wrong answer so he either goes to his programmed response or does not answer the question at all and does not trust his inner self again JMHO.

For example if he was now asked where the sun rises and sets I am sure his response would be: "I'm just excited to see the sun rise and very excited when it sets."
I think it's the same with most players and coaches in interviews.
Honesty. How good are these interviews anyway? They're usually full of mundane questions and coachspeak. The only difference is that players use the term "excited" and coaches use the term "again".

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh shit...I laughed soo hard...My five year old...has been really using excited a lot...She has been on the excited word thingy for a couple months. We have a puppy...and I try to explain that she's gonna jump on her cause she's "excited"....so my lil girl uses it whenever she can...LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Week 10 of 2017.. That game will be his 17th start as a professional quarterback and is usually enough of a sample size to make a realistic, logical judgement of what he may or may not be.
For some reason...this made me nervous.

Aaron Donald says "so" at the end of almost every sentence he speaks...so. We should get rid of that guy too....
No...we need to get a bunch of guys that say so at the end of almost every sentence.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It was on Hard Knocks, Goff was asked by his position coach where does the sun rise and set and his response was, "I'm not sure." Weinke then asked the UDRFA QB they just signed and he answered it rises in the east and sets in the west and Goff acted as he just did not know the answer.

Now maybe he did know the answer and was afraid to answer because he thought it was a trick question, but it was a head scratcher that's for sure.

Thanks - I didn't want to watch that as I knew it would come back and bite us on the ass...

It could be a case of - thinking too hard, or thinking it was a trick question like you suggest, then again it could be all Sherlock Holmes and be like "well I can't do anything about it, so why do I need to know about it..." ;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You really believe that "sun rise" crap?

You actually think that was real?
That was scripted reality tv bullcrap. thats all.
Let that nonsense go. Its ridiculous. Have you taken the wonderlich? It would be an amazingly difficult thing to GET A 38 and be THAT stupid.

You make a valid point about television, however:

Rams hope Jared Goff less confused by defenses than where sun rises

IRVINE, Calif. -- The most stunning aspect to the Rams’ debut on HBO's “Hard Knocks” on Tuesday wasn’t a wide receiver getting cut for having a female visitor in his room, but prized rookie quarterback Jared Goff not knowing from which direction the sun rises.

That would be Jared Goff, who went to Cal, ranked by U.S. News as the fourth-best university on the planet.

Alas, there were apparently some things Cal assumed you already knew.

Pharoh Cooper.

Goff asked Cooper if he knew where the sun rose and the wide receiver said, “In the air?”

“East,” Goff informed him. “Apparently it’s well known.”

Yeah, maybe not. Rams linebacker Cameron Lynch was asked if he could say Wednesday and struggled like he was asked to do his Will Hunting at MIT imitation.

“Uh, I don’t know,” he said.

Special teams coach John Fassel was shown in the debut show with his toddler running into his arms. Asked if she knew yet where the sun rose, he responded, "No, but she’s always at the beach so she knows it sets in the West."

But Fassel said no one should be surprised if players are unaware that the sun rises in the East.

“No, they don’t know,” he said. “I had to think about it when you just asked me. I was like, 'Wait a second.’ We have our minds on football right now.”

Asked if it was remotely possible the players were struggling with this basic bit of knowledge because the franchise had recently arrived on the West Coast, he said: “That could be. You almost kind of have to switch. In St. Louis we don’t know, the sun is like in the middle.”

Punter Johnny Hekker, a five-year veteran, volunteered he was aware from which direction the sun rose.

“Young guys these days,” Hekker said. “As long as [he] can throw the football and move in the pocket, I don’t care what he knows about the sunrise and set.”

Informed Goff was hardly alone on the team in his confusion, Hekker shrugged.

“We’re going to be OK,” he said. “We just have to concern ourselves with football and that’s what we’re here to do. The sun will continue to do what it’s doing.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...un-rise-thanks-to-hard-knocks-rams-goff-knows

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It seems silly to still be harping on such irrelevant things. I am not surprised that Goff sounds unpolished and mechanical in front of the media. He's a 22-year old kid who was thrust into the role as the face of the franchise. He was a college kid a year ago. Most people are going to sound the same way in that scenario. Let's be realistic with our expectations.(plus, again, it's such an irrelevant thing to harp on)

I'm sure you're 100% accurate and I will never admit that I was not ignorant at a young age about common sense things...I once believed a guy (first job I had 16) who said he smoked because his Doctor told him he had low tar and I get you want to keep your mind open to store things that relates to you, but I was trying to illustrate a point that had me personnaly concerned that maybe Goff was just unsure of himself and did not trust his training & development from an educational perspective.

I guess now with McVay and I'm sure other offensive coaches that actually have a clue how to create and execute a game plan, that we will get to see the talent that made Jared Thomas Goff the number one overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft and Thomas Paine be damned!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It is, however, redundancy can be over the top. It's Goff's go to word and I get it, I just feel he's programmed himself to say that as opposed to how he truly feels. He said the same thing when asked how he felt finally having an opportunity to start.

Now I'm being rough on the kid and at 22 I'm sure the word(s) that I said all the time was bodacious tatas, but I'm looking for something different from him, Goff seems robotic in his responses and not natural, IMHO, he's afraid to give the wrong answer so he either goes to his programmed response or does not answer the question at all and does not trust his inner self again JMHO.

For example if he was now asked where the sun rises and sets I am sure his response would be: "I'm just excited to see the sun rise and very excited when it sets."

This is such a nonsense criticism. What football player or coach actually answers any questions with their true feelings? They purposely give nothing to media. Has nothing to do with not trusting his inner self they all speak on cliches and platitudes the greats like Brady included Thats why its such a big controversy when Mike Tomlin's actual thoughts come out through Antonio Browns facebook live posts. Does Bellichick not trust his "inner self" because he just grumbles or says nonsense like on Seattle.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is such a nonsense criticism. What football player or coach actually answers any questions with their true feelings?

Just thought that Goff would provide some insight as to why he and McVay hit it off, but I get it, that's fine, he decided to just say what he always says, whether he's responded about a coaching hire or a sunset or his first start in the NFL.