Looks like Joyner got the tag.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
*shrugs....a 2nd round pick is a starter to me, for 4-5 years..Not a 16 game rental. Looks like I'm in the minority here about this...

I make sure I read your stuff because I like your take on things. Its absolutely ok to not be thrilled losing the 2nd round pick or to expect that a 2nd would net us a long time starter. I just think we made our play and took our chance and the unsureness of that chance was known at the time so I'm chill on results.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'd take Allen Robinson in a heart beat over Watkins even if we have to pay him a few mil more. I say let Watkins walk and sign Robinson to a nice, short incentive based prove it deal with a decent guarantee because of the acl tear, like what Alshon Jeffery had before he signed long term. Our 2nd round pick is gone regardless. This is about improving the team, not over paying because of draft capital given up in the past.

Aren't they different roll receivers?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The tag for a safety isn't that high, also they can still sign him to a deal.

Also truJo worked fine, got him for two years, replaced him with a CB who is much better and way cheaper in Peters. Zero dead money.
Second lowest of all positions. So this doesn’t really bother me. I wanted them to keep Joyner and this allows them to move on to other contracts.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
One is a #1 wr who plays the role and acts it, the other is a #1 wr actor who plays wr.
That's definitely not what I meant.

I meant isnt Watkins more of a stretch the field kind of wr and Rob more of a possession kind of wr?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That's definitely not what I meant.

I meant isnt Watkins more of a stretch the field kind of wr and Rob more of a possession kind of wr?
one does all, and one just runs and not much more.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this is going to be a common theme for this off season. Watch the Rams go just as heavy on the defense as they did last year on the offense. I think the Rams know more about what they need on that side of the ball, and how our current players reacted to the transition.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the point and dont want to speak for Merlin but we are 50+ M under the cap and have no core players locked up past their rookie contacts except for Ogletree, Barron and Brockers. Both LBs are playing out of position and Brockers was a good deal. We may lose Tru after 2 years of franchise tags. Lost JJ. Likely losing Watkins after trading a 2nd rounder for him. Donald is not signed and the oline has a bunch of looming FAs.

I get there are some circumstance beyond their control, but this is the same FO for the past 5 years. Key players are not signed and when they do sign them, its the wrong players. You have to admit it would be nice if we had some key players extended that we drafted and developed. Gurley, Donald

Joyner is a head scratcher for me. How is he not signed long term? 4 years, 36 to 40M seems fair. Guarantee 20M. Makes sense for both. Its basically a 3 year deal for the Rams, Joyner gets 2 years of tag money guaranteed and potential to make another 20M. Now a blown out ACL does not cost him millions. If he is refusing that, then maybe he does not want to be here. Joyner tag makes no sense to me.
One very major correction, this is not the same front office. Jeff Fisher as we know had total 100% control of the 53 man roster. He is gone, this is Les Snead working with Sean McVay. Some of the pieces may in fact be the same but the man running the show has changed and people need to realize that and accept it's different.

My point is, was and always will be it benefits the player to hit free agency. In order for us to have signed a guy already he has to want to stay here and feel that an offer was high enough to not test the waters. Ask any player currently playing or retired and they'll say the same thing. The second contract is a players best chance to maximize his earnings from the NFL and a team. His agent likewise is advising the player to hit free agency and drive his price up. Right now there is one team that can offer LaMarcus Joyner a contract and that's the Rams. In 8 or 9 days? Yeah there will be 32 bidding for his services. You may have an idea what is fair for Joyner but guess what? I do too and it doesn't matter at all what we think or feel, what matters is what he thinks his value is and what a team will offer him. Just because he might not like the numbers you're deciding for him doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Ram. I'd wager he loves being a Ram and playing for McVay and Wade. After all our previous regime had him in the slot as a part time player. Wade made him a Free Safety and he was on the field for 99% of the snaps for the 12 games he played. That's showing him respect and that made him a lot of money.

LaMarcus Joyner is going to do what he thinks is in his best interest. And every player will tell you this is the most important contract of his career. It benefits him to test free agency and not sign a deal before he's able to let other teams bid against him. He's a highly sought after commodity, the highest rated Safety if not the highest rated DB. And knowing that the Rams did the smartest thing they could do when they weren't able to sign him early, they franchised him so they could match any offer he's given. This front office yet again for the last couple off seasons has made a very smart move. And way too many Rams fans are complaining about them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One very major correction, this is not the same front office. Jeff Fisher as we know had total 100% control of the 53 man roster. He is gone, this is Les Snead working with Sean McVay. Some of the pieces may in fact be the same but the man running the show has changed and people need to realize that and accept it's different.

My point is, was and always will be it benefits the player to hit free agency. In order for us to have signed a guy already he has to want to stay here and feel that an offer was high enough to not test the waters. Ask any player currently playing or retired and they'll say the same thing. The second contract is a players best chance to maximize his earnings from the NFL and a team. His agent likewise is advising the player to hit free agency and drive his price up. Right now there is one team that can offer LaMarcus Joyner a contract and that's the Rams. In 8 or 9 days? Yeah there will be 32 bidding for his services. You may have an idea what is fair for Joyner but guess what? I do too and it doesn't matter at all what we think or feel, what matters is what he thinks his value is and what a team will offer him. Just because he might not like the numbers you're deciding for him doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Ram. I'd wager he loves being a Ram and playing for McVay and Wade. After all our previous regime had him in the slot as a part time player. Wade made him a Free Safety and he was on the field for 99% of the snaps for the 12 games he played. That's showing him respect and that made him a lot of money.

LaMarcus Joyner is going to do what he thinks is in his best interest. And every player will tell you this is the most important contract of his career. It benefits him to test free agency and not sign a deal before he's able to let other teams bid against him. He's a highly sought after commodity, the highest rated Safety if not the highest rated DB. And knowing that the Rams did the smartest thing they could do when they weren't able to sign him early, they franchised him so they could match any offer he's given. This front office yet again for the last couple off seasons has made a very smart move. And way too many Rams fans are complaining about them.
Nobody is gonna offer him a contract.
Who’s going to give up 2 1st rounders for him?

TexasRam

Legend
Tagging Joyner was the right move.

Now I long term Donald and resign Sullivan.

Then I sign Norwell. This puts Brown on the bench as depth which we absolutely must have. Saffold then could kick out to tackle in the event of Whitworth or Havenstein going down. So depth on Oline is completely covers along with a long term replacement for Saffold who’s getting older.

Then I sign Burton and NRC.

I also go after Talib or Trumaine.

Draft is heavy defense. NT CB and LB depending on BPA.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I get all that, give me a little credit. Just look at the contracts the top S signed the last 2 years. Your paying the 11M this year. Berry has the highest APY at 13M. They have had months to find some middle ground.

Joyner got tagged, so there will not be a bidding war for his services.
The Rams are going through the tag process again. It’s not smart, not at all especially here. We are paying him now pretty much 1/2 of what would need to be guaranteed for a 5 year deal. Just look at the contracts signed the last 2 years. We get no cap relief and can not fiddle with cap dollars. Oh ya, and we do this song and dance again next year and now the player is even more likely to bet on himself again and not sign a long term deal. Tru’s deal the last 2 years was not good for the Rams. There is a reason most teams don’t use the tag.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why? If they offer him fair comp and he wants to stay, he’ll sign.

He might as well see what some other team will offer. No upside to him signing before March 14th. Not saying it can’t or won’t happen, but might as well see if someone throws crazy money at him.