Looks like Joyner got the tag.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
He didn’t face the other team’s best corner or get the attention that a #1 WR does. That’s the point a lot of people make when they talk about Sammy leaving and how that effects the other WRs moving forward.

I don't know. Im sure thats true to a point but I think it's also really down playing how good Woods played. I don't think it's fair to say that Woods only played well because Watkins was on the field being a distraction for him. It was clear to me that Goff trusted Woods more than any other receiver too. Woods balled out and impressed me a lot last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been saying this for awhile. the Eagles got a deal done with Alshon Jeffery during the season. Everyone knew Joyner would play great at Safety. He could have been resigned even before the switch.

Yeah Roseman and the Eagles' leadership at large put on a damn clinic over the past few years and it built into a Super Bowl championship. They're bold and not afraid.

Jury is still out on the Rams now that they've added McVay to the fold. I think they are going to settle in as a top ten organization, but that's no given by any means and these guys are not above criticism. Not yet.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Per Jason La Canfora, the Rams are trying to sign a bridge deal (1-2 years) with WR Sammy Watkins.

Smart move.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Fair point. What do you think he gets in the open market? Like someone said, you can guarantee a little more if needed. I think what I proposed is an easy talking off point. Give him a 5th, give the team a mill, etc. I was just presenting some baseline talking points. If you look at the largest contacts the last couple of year. The average for the "top" guys is 5 years 50-60M. 21-28M guaranteed. So give Joyner the 5th year and now its 3 non guaranteed years lol....thats NFL contracts. The numbers are there for everyone to see, again, seems odd they cant agree on some kind of deal. Maybe they do still, but it would of been nice to have this one locked up and then maybe tag Watkins.

But here is why he could/should. If he stays healthy he will get year 3 and likely 4. If he blows out his knee or breaks a shoulder or whatever he loses potentially up to 30M. Its give and get, right? Give up a little for long term security. A deal like I proposed makes puts him top 5 of safeties, if you add a 5th year and its a fair deal for both.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Per Jason La Canfora, the Rams are trying to sign a bridge deal (1-2 years) with WR Sammy Watkins.

Smart move.

I am keeping my fingers crossed they can get it done! Will be very disappointed if Watkins is not wearing the Horns next season!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Smart move.

Saw that too, but I cant imagine he is going to take a "bridge deal" at this stage. Its likely he will get a 4 or 5 year deal. i guess the market will dictate that.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I give up. Someone call me when this game of Russian Roulette is over, and we know who will be a Ram next year!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that Sammy Watkins walks out the door with our 2nd round pick in the trash, this will be about the worst move by Les Snead since GRob.

You make it sound like his 2017 did not have value to the Rams, even though he was severely underpaid at $690k.. Even for one season, such an underpay does not come free. In addition, the Rams got back a 6th and should get a comp pick.

So how much is one season of a guy you think should be offered about a $16 million franchise tag worth at $690k? Even leaving out the other parts of the trade. Obviously not a second to you, but how high a pick then?

I personally think they did alright. His presence helped Goff develop and gain confidence, which should help the Rams going forward substantially. His performance in 2017 helped them make the playoffs - and I know I would have given up a second to help Goff develop and for the Rams to win the division. Obviously we all always want more, but the Rams' culture changed. Now the Rams and McVay are better prepared to further develop their offense - which includes more fully implementing the TEs into the offense, which would reduce the role of the receivers a bit anyway.

nighttrain

Legend
You make it sound like his 2017 did not have value to the Rams, even though he was severely underpaid at $690k.. Even for one season, such an underpay does not come free. In addition, the Rams got back a 6th and should get a comp pick.

So how much is one season of a guy you think should be offered about a $16 million franchise tag worth at $690k? Even leaving out the other parts of the trade. Obviously not a second to you, but how high a pick then?

I personally think they did alright. His presence helped Goff develop and gain confidence, which should help the Rams going forward substantially. His performance in 2017 helped them make the playoffs - and I know I would have given up a second to help Goff develop and for the Rams to win the division. Obviously we all always want more, but the Rams' culture changed. Now the Rams and McVay are better prepared to further develop their offense - which includes more fully implementing the TEs into the offense, which would reduce the role of the receivers a bit anyway.
Watkins presence was great last season, would be awesome, greater, so really fine in 2018
train

…..

Legend
All I know is that Sammy Watkins walks out the door with our 2nd round pick in the trash, this will be about the worst move by Les Snead since GRob.

Its an interesting take...but too negative for me. I prefer to consider it a risk worth taking and knowing the risk ahead of time should quiet the riot when things dont go perfectly.

We have'nt lost Watkins yet and I'm not convinced we will lose him. However, if he does sign elsewhere, I'm going to move on and not dwell on the 2nd round pick.

Winners look ahead, not behind.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Anyone see Sammys' tweet? I don't have a good feeling about that situation.

I like Josh Reynolds a lot, more than most I'd say. But expecting him to be as effective as Sammy was last year is a bit optimistic imo. He doesn't have Sammys speed to stretch vertically IN THE SAME WAY. I know he's a vertical threat but not as fast. And the intermediate/red zone success was pretty solid as well.

Kinda pissed we couldn't sign Joyner and tag Sammy. That's what my money was on.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

Smart move.
This is what I'm expecting. Watkins has a decision to make, he can test FA and make decent money, or he can sign with us for 2-3 years and prove he is the real deal, becoming the highest paid WR in the league in 2-3 years when he tests the market again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll repeat....
Free agency doesn’t begin for a week. Let the front office do their thing until then.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Mine was not below, its right on par what you proposed here. I said 5Yrs, 50-60M with 21-28 guaranteed.

You outlined: 5Yrs, 57.8M with 24.2M guaranteed.

Im good with that, done deal! lol. See it was easy! Now lets get Watkins and Donald sign so we can focus on some FAs. :)

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He didn’t face the other team’s best corner or get the attention that a #1 WR does. That’s the point a lot of people make when they talk about Sammy leaving and how that effects the other WRs moving forward.

True but I do expect them to step up significantly now that they have a full year of McVay’s scheme under their belts; continuity is an underrated aspect of evaluting talent and production.

If Watkins is gone, wouldn’t be surprised if Woods and likely our other receivers’ production goes down a notch but I’m also expecting our 12-personnel package with Higbee and Everett to step up with a year of experience in this offense. That can easily offset the loss of Watkins with keeping DBs honest about covering them.