Looks like Joyner got the tag.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone want to kick the tires on Allen Robinson?
Honestly that's best way to salvage the Sammy situation IMO . drafting a rookie or moving woods to number 1 is going to result in regression of our offense

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Sure. Robinson > Watkins.
ACL injury was in week one last year so shouldn't be an issue but should be able to do a short-term deal so he can show he's healthy.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
How many free agents have teams signed long term this off season instead of letting them hit the market? I’ll give you a hint, you can count them on one hand and have digits to spare. Relax, it’ll happen!

I think the point and dont want to speak for Merlin but we are 50+ M under the cap and have no core players locked up past their rookie contacts except for Ogletree, Barron and Brockers. Both LBs are playing out of position and Brockers was a good deal. We may lose Tru after 2 years of franchise tags. Lost JJ. Likely losing Watkins after trading a 2nd rounder for him. Donald is not signed and the oline has a bunch of looming FAs.

I get there are some circumstance beyond their control, but this is the same FO for the past 5 years. Key players are not signed and when they do sign them, its the wrong players. You have to admit it would be nice if we had some key players extended that we drafted and developed. Gurley, Donald

Joyner is a head scratcher for me. How is he not signed long term? 4 years, 36 to 40M seems fair. Guarantee 20M. Makes sense for both. Its basically a 3 year deal for the Rams, Joyner gets 2 years of tag money guaranteed and potential to make another 20M. Now a blown out ACL does not cost him millions. If he is refusing that, then maybe he does not want to be here. Joyner tag makes no sense to me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This. Agents are telling players not to sign until FA tells them their worth.

Which is why I can see us resigning Sammy if someone doesn't want to overpay for him. If someone does (and I bet someone will) then he'll be gone though. All about the dollars.

But what does that really mean "overpay for him?" We are now in a position where will have to overpay for anyone good, unless there is some hidden knowledge about a 2nd or 3rd tier gem (like Sullivan).

It's almost a given to get any player of value, you must give him great money when bidding against others. That's why it's so frustrating for myself and others, because it seems Snead and Demoff perpetually don't sign guys in advance of free agency, except guys who are not worth it, like Tavon. then, off they go to another team...(McCloud, Jenkins, etc...)

That's why I bet we get nothing done with Aaron Donald when we could have, until he's so pizzed he'd rather try FA instead of negotiating. Are the Ram's too freakin' cheap?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It takes two to tango..........it's not just about the FO not getting it done.

Believe me Les, I am aware of that. Still, look at the talent we've leaked from our defense over the years. Even a good front office can outsmart themselves at times when it comes to setting limits on what they'll pay players. And if that type of thing goes on long enough, the problem probably doesn't lie with all the players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I believe money is what separated the Rams from Watkins, doubt it will be much different with Robinson. More and more I think we are edging towards a trade down, a drafted WR to compete with Reynolds, and a dirt cheap TE like Eifert to come in on a one year 'prove-it' deal. jmo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess is that the Watkins negotiations haven't even started. I posted as much in the other thread. I don't know that that point will give us much hope, but there's some hope to it.

Ram65

Legend
I am beginning to get irritated by the Rams' inability to sign their own effin players. Joyner should not have been a difficult signing. I love this front office, but jesus man they need to improve there IMO.

I have to agree here. Easy conversation. We tag you or you sign a 4 year 36-40M dollar deal with 20M guaranteed. This one should not be too complicated. They still have time to get a deal with Joyner done though. Would of been nice to have him signed though and could of tagged Watkins.

Been saying this for awhile. the Eagles got a deal done with Alshon Jeffery during the season. Everyone knew Joyner would play great at Safety. He could have been resigned even before the switch.

I think the point and dont want to speak for Merlin but we are 50+ M under the cap and have no core players locked up past their rookie contacts except for Ogletree, Barron and Brockers. Both LBs are playing out of position and Brockers was a good deal. We may lose Tru after 2 years of franchise tags. Lost JJ. Likely losing Watkins after trading a 2nd rounder for him. Donald is not signed and the oline has a bunch of looming FAs.

I get there are some circumstance beyond their control, but this is the same FO for the past 5 years. Key players are not signed and when they do sign them, its the wrong players. You have to admit it would be nice if we had some key players extended that we drafted and developed. Gurley, Donald

Joyner is a head scratcher for me. How is he not signed long term? 4 years, 36 to 40M seems fair. Guarantee 20M. Makes sense for both. Its basically a 3 year deal for the Rams, Joyner gets 2 years of tag money guaranteed and potential to make another 20M. Now a blown out ACL does not cost him millions. If he is refusing that, then maybe he does not want to be here. Joyner tag makes no sense to me.

Sounds like it would work for both sides. Even a little more guaranteed money if you had to. He is great but, undersized and did get hurt last year and played in 14 games during the 2016 season. I doubt he gets an offer from another team.

Any safeties near his ability in free agency? Could get a gage on his value in the open market.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that Sammy Watkins walks out the door with our 2nd round pick in the trash, this will be about the worst move by Les Snead since GRob.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Word out of Philly is only reason Jeffrey signed deal during season was due to his injury (that he didn't disclose to the team). They had no clue he had it and now he's got the surgery. Peeps saying Philly wouldn't have even offered him that contract had they known. I don't know that we can use him signing contract in season as an example.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Woods was our number 1 and he freaking killed it.

He didn’t face the other team’s best corner or get the attention that a #1 WR does. That’s the point a lot of people make when they talk about Sammy leaving and how that effects the other WRs moving forward.

Ram65

Legend
All I know is that Sammy Watkins walks out the door with our 2nd round pick in the trash, this will be about the worst move by Les Snead since GRob.

I was just about to post that a least they didn't franchise Watkins. Estimate to be 16.3 Million. Way too much money for one year.