Looks like Joyner got the tag.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

alp

UDFA
LARams have placed a non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner.

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am beginning to get irritated by the Rams' inability to sign their own effin players. Joyner should not have been a difficult signing. I love this front office, but jesus man they need to improve there IMO.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
I am beginning to get irritated by the Rams' inability to sign their own effin players. Joyner should not have been a difficult signing. I love this front office, but jesus man they need to improve there IMO.

The tag for a safety isn't that high, also they can still sign him to a deal.

Also truJo worked fine, got him for two years, replaced him with a CB who is much better and way cheaper in Peters. Zero dead money.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
It's all about timing. They need to be one year ahead of schedule or they will lose players and they aren't adjusting to that.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
That's what happens when the cap goes up 10mil every year. Each year is a completely different market and players want to test it out to see how much money they can get.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
How many free agents have teams signed long term this off season instead of letting them hit the market? I’ll give you a hint, you can count them on one hand and have digits to spare. Relax, it’ll happen!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It's all about timing. They need to be one year ahead of schedule or they will lose players and they aren't adjusting to that.
IMO, the TA resigning put the Rams in a bad spot as far as resigning their own FA and AD.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RotoWorld :

Rams assign non-exclusive tag to S Joyner
9635.jpg

Rams assigned the non-exclusive franchise tag to S Lamarcus Joyner.

Keeping Joyner became a priority after he experienced a breakout 2017 following his full-time switch to safety. The tag is worth $11.287 million for safeties. The move means Sammy Watkins is now headed to the open market. The Rams have until July 16 to work out a long-term agreement with Joyner.

Mar 6 - 1:13 PM

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
We have no idea what Joyner was looking for. Whatever it was must have been unreasonable.
Also, they must really like Josh Reynolds.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's what happens when the cap goes up 10mil every year. Each year is a completely different market and players want to test it out to see how much money they can get.

This. Agents are telling players not to sign until FA tells them their worth.

Which is why I can see us resigning Sammy if someone doesn't want to overpay for him. If someone does (and I bet someone will) then he'll be gone though. All about the dollars.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Should we have started to negotiate last year with Joyner... possibly. It's what you do with FA priorities like AD. But here's the thing. We were a bad team, a bad team who fired their head coach. We had a whole new system in place on defense. Joyner up until that point had been an above-average but not elite talent who we were not sure could play safety 100% of the time nor that he would be a scheme fit.

Not signing Joyner ahead of time was as much a product of a bad team turning over coaching staff as anything else. Any team in transition is gonna have an issue signing guys. We did take care of Ogletree which is good (but he was far more a proven commodity than Joyner at the time - arguments about his run-D notwithstanding), we're making progress and more stability will allow us to be a bit more up to speed on signing our guys.

Oh, and one other thing, signing Joyner last year may have precluded us from bringing in all the offensive talent we brought in last year. Pick your poison boys.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

players have little to gain by signing between the end of the season and free agency. when they've been waiting 3-5 years to finally get a big contract, waiting a couple extra months is nothing

jap

Legend
Should we have started to negotiate last year with Joyner... possibly. It's what you do with FA priorities like AD. But here's the thing. We were a bad team, a bad team who fired their head coach. We had a whole new system in place on defense. Joyner up until that point had been an above-average but not elite talent who we were not sure could play safety 100% of the time nor that he would be a scheme fit.

Not signing Joyner ahead of time was as much a product of a bad team turning over coaching staff as anything else. Any team in transition is gonna have an issue signing guys. We did take care of Ogletree which is good (but he was far more a proven commodity than Joyner at the time - arguments about his run-D notwithstanding), we're making progress and more stability will allow us to be a bit more up to speed on signing our guys.

Oh, and one other thing, signing Joyner last year may have precluded us from bringing in all the offensive talent we brought in last year. Pick your poison boys.

. . . besides, Wade needed to actually see what he has talent-wise before he lets the FO know who he wants to keep.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many free agents have teams signed long term this off season instead of letting them hit the market? I’ll give you a hint, you can count them on one hand and have digits to spare. Relax, it’ll happen!
And free agency is still not open for another week....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It takes two to tango..........it's not just about the FO not getting it done.

Each year is a completely different market and players want to test it out to see how much money they can get.

Agents are telling players not to sign until FA tells them their worth.

It's what a good agent will do for his client because it allows the agent to get the most money.

If I was a p[layer and my agent was advising me to take a deal and not test the market I'd fire him. Especially now with rookie cap deals versus what a player can get in the Silly Season.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone want to kick the tires on Allen Robinson?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I have to agree here. Easy conversation. We tag you or you sign a 4 year 36-40M dollar deal with 20M guarenteed. This one should not be too complicated. They still have time to get a deal with Joyner done though. Would of been nice to have him signed though and could of tagged Watkins.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
This. Agents are telling players not to sign until FA tells them their worth.

Which is why I can see us resigning Sammy if someone doesn't want to overpay for him. If someone does (and I bet someone will) then he'll be gone though. All about the dollars.
And teams might not be too eager to re-sign players because they want to see what the market is like, both for their own FAs and others. The Rams can use the money offered to Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, etc... to make an offer to Watkins based on comps. Like buying and selling a house. It's way too early to assume much of anything.