Looks like Joyner got the tag.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams would not pay the market price for Tru on a long term contract. Looks like the same is happening, for the time being, with Joyner. Why wont the rams pay market price? Would have had a chance to sign Sammy if they would have. Now little to no chance Sammy stays.

nighttrain

Legend
He might as well see what some other team will offer. No upside to him signing before March 14th. Not saying it can’t or won’t happen, but might as well see if someone throws crazy money at him.
and as the best receiver in FA someone will
SF or Browns
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He might as well see what some other team will offer. No upside to him signing before March 14th. Not saying it can’t or won’t happen, but might as well see if someone throws crazy money at him.

Well, if the Rams sign somebody else, the offer could be rescinded - so there is that risk.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has the same incentive as he had before the tag was due, the same incentive as he had during the season.
Why would any would be fa sign before hitting the market?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams would not pay the market price for Tru on a long term contract. Looks like the same is happening, for the time being, with Joyner. Why wont the rams pay market price? Would have had a chance to sign Sammy if they would have. Now little to no chance Sammy stays.
Do you know what the Rams offered? How the heck can you say they wouldn’t pay market price? They just paid Tru 30 million for 2 years. That ain’t market all right, it’s way more.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can only sign your own players before March 14th. So there is no risk the Rams sign someone else.

Yeah, but once he can listen to offers from others, the Rams can also be making offers to others. What if the Rams make an offer to somebody else,using cap room they would have used to pay him? The free agency frenzy is like a game of musical chairs at times - if you like an offer enough, better take it before it goes away

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
LOL! The discussion about Watkins is all over the map. Some people think his contribution to the Rams makes him not worth re-signing, others want him back but think he will be too expensive to re-sign. He can't be both!

Rams know he was open all over the joint for much of the season. That's why they're trying to sign him. I just hope they get it done.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Well... guess I was wrong. Glad to keep Joyner
EatCrow.gif

MFaulk107

The Realness
Personally not too happy about this. But then again I'm not a coach or a manager of any sort, so they clearly know something WE don't.

Psycho_X

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...lamarcus-joyner-franchise-tag-offseason-news/
Lamarcus Joyner shares his thoughts on being franchise tagged by Rams

One of the biggest questions facing the Los Angeles Rams this offseason was whether or not to use the franchise tag – and if so, on who? They opted against tagging Sammy Watkins, arguably the top free agent receiver, instead using it on safety Lamarcus Joyner.

Joyner was the cheaper and more reasonable tag candidate as the Rams will now pay him $11.29 million in 2018 – assuming he doesn’t sign a long-term extension this offseason. He was one of the best safeties in the NFL last season, so losing him would have greatly hurt the Rams’ defense.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...gency-secondary-marcus-peters-aqib-talib-pff/
It was a wise move for the organization, but how does it impact Joyner? He’s 27 years old, entering the prime of his career and has no financial security moving forward. That doesn’t seem to bother him, though, as he’ll take the process one step at a time.

“The goal is to get a long-term deal done – we’re still in the process of that – but I’m fine with it,” Joyner said,via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN. “I have a lot more good years left, I believe. So this deal won’t hurt anything as far as my career and my future.”

Joyner moved to safety full-time in 2017, his first season at that spot in the NFL. Needless to say, he thrived, picking off three passes while recording 49 tackles. In the first three seasons of his career, he was the Rams’ nickel cornerback, covering slot defenders inside.

He still does some of that in Wade Phillips’ scheme, but he also rotates back as a deep safety, too. Essentially, he can play a variety of positions in the secondary. That in its own right provides the Rams with plenty of value, particularly if an injury were to occur.

Despite being Pro Football Focus’ No. 3 safety last season, Joyner still doesn’t get much attention nationally. That’ll likely change in 2018 when he continues to prove he’s one of the best safeties in the NFL. It’ll also force the Rams’ hand when it comes to giving him a long-term extension.

“I’m an under-the-radar guy,” he said. “I believe in letting the chips fall where they may. When I was franchised, it was just like, ‘OK, so, now I have another opportunity to win a Super Bowl with this organization and also continue to see where they see me at as far as their future plans.’ That was my whole thought process on it.”

Unless Joyner and the Rams agree to a new contract, he’ll become a free agent next March. It’s not a situation the Rams want to deal with again after seeing Trumaine Johnson leave this offseason.

With Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and Marcus Peters still to pay, however, extending Joyner sooner rather than later would be wise.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...lamarcus-joyner-franchise-tag-offseason-news/
Lamarcus Joyner shares his thoughts on being franchise tagged by Rams

One of the biggest questions facing the Los Angeles Rams this offseason was whether or not to use the franchise tag – and if so, on who? They opted against tagging Sammy Watkins, arguably the top free agent receiver, instead using it on safety Lamarcus Joyner.

Joyner was the cheaper and more reasonable tag candidate as the Rams will now pay him $11.29 million in 2018 – assuming he doesn’t sign a long-term extension this offseason. He was one of the best safeties in the NFL last season, so losing him would have greatly hurt the Rams’ defense.
It was a wise move for the organization, but how does it impact Joyner? He’s 27 years old, entering the prime of his career and has no financial security moving forward. That doesn’t seem to bother him, though, as he’ll take the process one step at a time.

“The goal is to get a long-term deal done – we’re still in the process of that – but I’m fine with it,” Joyner said,via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN. “I have a lot more good years left, I believe. So this deal won’t hurt anything as far as my career and my future.”

Joyner moved to safety full-time in 2017, his first season at that spot in the NFL. Needless to say, he thrived, picking off three passes while recording 49 tackles. In the first three seasons of his career, he was the Rams’ nickel cornerback, covering slot defenders inside.

He still does some of that in Wade Phillips’ scheme, but he also rotates back as a deep safety, too. Essentially, he can play a variety of positions in the secondary. That in its own right provides the Rams with plenty of value, particularly if an injury were to occur.

Despite being Pro Football Focus’ No. 3 safety last season, Joyner still doesn’t get much attention nationally. That’ll likely change in 2018 when he continues to prove he’s one of the best safeties in the NFL. It’ll also force the Rams’ hand when it comes to giving him a long-term extension.

“I’m an under-the-radar guy,” he said. “I believe in letting the chips fall where they may. When I was franchised, it was just like, ‘OK, so, now I have another opportunity to win a Super Bowl with this organization and also continue to see where they see me at as far as their future plans.’ That was my whole thought process on it.”

Unless Joyner and the Rams agree to a new contract, he’ll become a free agent next March. It’s not a situation the Rams want to deal with again after seeing Trumaine Johnson leave this offseason.

With Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and Marcus Peters still to pay, however, extending Joyner sooner rather than later would be wise.
The idea that a person making 11 mil in one year doesnt have financial security, is ludicrous. lets say 40 to 50% take home. Give that to me and without making one investment I could live 40 years without working a day. So unless he is an idiot and blows his money he is good. I dfucking hate that bullish about the tag. He should be ecstatic.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s 27 years old, entering the prime of his career and has no financial security moving forward.

He's guaranteed $11.29 million for this season. He has made over $5 million prior. I can understand wanting more, but unless he is really wasteful he should have financial security

jacktheripper85

Starter
He should be thankful Fisher is gone-he’d be making about $8MM less. Hope he took Wade out for a nice dinner.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I have no problem with them making big money. They put there well being on the line and generate HUGE money for others. They deserve there share of the pie. Just dont boohoo over only getting millions.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Give that to me and without making one investment I could live 40 years without working a day.
What about kids, family, mother & father?

You know they estimate the cost of college in 20 years to be about a million...don't know if that's one year or 4.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
What about kids, family, mother & father?

You know they estimate the cost of college in 20 years to be about a million...don't know if that's one year or 4.
If college start costing people millions then something is terribly wrong.