Kaep refuses to stand for the Anthem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Very simple solution to this

Stop

Breaking

The

Law

Bet that would work

For some. But, that hasn't worked for the law abiding citizens (of all races) who did not break the law but have gotten raw deals from the police.

A better solution, IMO?

Add to your comment the removal of the arrest quotas. Greatly improve police training. And probably MOST importantly, good police officers speak up and not cover for bad police officers.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I knew there wasn't enough room in that skull for proper intelligence. I think ZIKA has been around much longer than we knew.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
For some. But, that hasn't worked for the law abiding citizens (of all races) who did not break the law but have gotten raw deals from the police.

A better solution, IMO?

Add to your comment the removal of the arrest quotas. Greatly improve police training. And probably MOST importantly, good police officers speak up and not cover for bad police officers.

"For some" no what you mean is for most, your other points are valid

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah man. Life is so horrible for black people. They get to work and go to school and basically do whatever they want. I mean WOW I can't believe how oppressed they are.
Social work major here. Oppression in america Is still very real for minorities even if they don't always respond to it the right way. That's all I'll say.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is in fact true how much of what you're asking is true or perception? Like I said this topic won't go anywhere is going to cause problems and should be locked now. Since the start of the Iraq war more black people have killed other black people than soldiers lost in the war. As Sir Charles says there is plenty blame to go around it's all if you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

Whites are killed more than blacks because they are a much larger demographic. But blacks are killed at a higher rate by police. Not picking a side though

bluecoconuts

Legend
I know a lot of cops all around the country and none of them have ever had any sort of arrest quota or ticket quota.

That being said, there are bad cops on every department. There are racist cops, sexist cops, violent cops, corrupt cops, etc.. Being a police officer doesn't automatically mean you're a good guy, but there are far more good cops than bad cops. People don't want to hear about the good cops, the guys who buy food and shoes and school supplies for poor children in their community, the ones who really care and really want to make things better, it's not sexy news. That has made it seem like there is a huge divide, and it makes policing more difficult.

That being said, there is also a divide, you would have to be blind not to see it. Sorry, but it's just the truth. The problem is that there were times where someone was killed when they shouldn't have been, and now anytime someone is killed people are upset about it, even if it was justified.

That doesn't mean there isn't an issue with training though... As a military guy I hate to say it, but the problem is largely due to veterans joining departments. They take the same military mindset that got them through war... It's us vs them, I'm going home to my family no matter what, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.. That is how you want to think when you're in war, but not when you're supposed to be protecting people. These guys are quick to shoot, even if they shouldn't, because that's what you do in combat. That's not how you should act as a cop though.

It doesn't help that the police departments are adopting military gear and tactics. Which is fine for big cities such as LA, NY, Boston, Dallas... They have different challenges... Then you have smaller cities in the middle of Kansas who buy armored cars just because they want to be like the big cities. That's just stupid.

There needs to be a clear divide between police and military. Our military is there to stack bodies and win wars. Our police are supposed to protect us, keep us from harm. We have military acting like cops overseas and cops acting like infantrymen back home. That added to rhetoric of groups of people being the enemy, is it any wonder why there's an uproar?

Training needs to be fixed, the veterans who join need to have the right mindset. Elite military units boot out people all the time for having the wrong mindset, yet nobody else can do it else they seem unpatriotic.

The failure comes from the departments and local governments who want to blow their budget on high end military gear, and armored vehicles instead of better training.

It's not the fault of the officer, it's a failure of department leadership. Failure to identify and remove shitty officers, failure to train them as good as they can, failure to change the mindset from war to protection.

And that's all I'm going to say.

49ers still suck and the Muppet is a shitty QB. I guess he should be used to sitting down, it's where he'll spend most of the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never knew that the National Anthem was an homage to the Police Department. Here I've always thought it was to pay respect to the men and women who have fought and continue to fight for our freedoms.
Who knew?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The crazy thing is, I'm pretty convinced that colin did this to pressure the miners into cutting or trading him

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are many aspects to this problem - and it is a problem - more than anything, in my opinion, is a lack of deescalation techniques taught in the academy. A good chunk of the police force is former military and there are way too many similarities in the techniques utilized.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As to the main topic - I have always thought it was so odd that people can't stand others disrespecting the flag or the anthem but it's perfectly fine to disrespect the president.

And for my take - it's perfectly fine to disrespect all of the above - the free exhange of ideas is what is supposed to make us great.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

What gets me a little irked isn't the stance he's taking because that I agree with.... Its that Kap and others that are using the National Anthem and the American Flag as a statement and being naive to the history of their meaning.

I mean the Flag has many meanings and the Song represents the people who died for our freedom and to stop the oppression of the British takeover. The Song and the Flag do not represent the twisted government or whack job racist people who turn a blind eye to corruption and propaganda of all walks of life that are killing innocent people today.

Speak out against racism but use the correct platform and blame the current people accountable for these ungodly acts, not those that have fought to give you freedom of speech and a song that has nothing to do with your protest....
On June 18, 1812, America declared war on Great Britain after a series of trade disagreements. In August 1814, British troops invaded Washington, D.C., and burned the White House, Capitol Building and Library of Congress. Their next target was Baltimore.

On this day in 1814, Francis Scott Key pens a poem which is later set to music and in 1931 becomes America’s national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner.” The poem, originally titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry,” was written after Key witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the sight of a lone U.S. flag still flying over Fort McHenry at daybreak.

As reflected in the now-famous words of the “Star-Spangled Banner”: “And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.”

The Corrupt British Regime at that time tried to invade and take away the freedom of the American people and the Americans fought them off with many dying for the cause in the process of this tragic war...

American_Flag_Gif_Animation.gif

football9111.jpg

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
1) Always thought Kaep was an entitled douchebag - but come on. Guess what kid - its the anthem of your country. Your feelings are irrelevant. Whether you agree or disagree with something is neither here nor there. Its symptomatic of this generation to feel their particular feelings are somehow important.

2) Quitter and a losers mentality. You don't like something your country does - try and change it. Be proud of your nation and try and make it better - don't quit on it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I know a lot of cops all around the country and none of them have ever had any sort of arrest quota or ticket quota.

That being said, there are bad cops on every department. There are racist cops, sexist cops, violent cops, corrupt cops, etc.. Being a police officer doesn't automatically mean you're a good guy, but there are far more good cops than bad cops. People don't want to hear about the good cops, the guys who buy food and shoes and school supplies for poor children in their community, the ones who really care and really want to make things better, it's not sexy news. That has made it seem like there is a huge divide, and it makes policing more difficult.

That being said, there is also a divide, you would have to be blind not to see it. Sorry, but it's just the truth. The problem is that there were times where someone was killed when they shouldn't have been, and now anytime someone is killed people are upset about it, even if it was justified.

That doesn't mean there isn't an issue with training though... As a military guy I hate to say it, but the problem is largely due to veterans joining departments. They take the same military mindset that got them through war... It's us vs them, I'm going home to my family no matter what, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.. That is how you want to think when you're in war, but not when you're supposed to be protecting people. These guys are quick to shoot, even if they shouldn't, because that's what you do in combat. That's not how you should act as a cop though.

It doesn't help that the police departments are adopting military gear and tactics. Which is fine for big cities such as LA, NY, Boston, Dallas... They have different challenges... Then you have smaller cities in the middle of Kansas who buy armored cars just because they want to be like the big cities. That's just stupid.

There needs to be a clear divide between police and military. Our military is there to stack bodies and win wars. Our police are supposed to protect us, keep us from harm. We have military acting like cops overseas and cops acting like infantrymen back home. That added to rhetoric of groups of people being the enemy, is it any wonder why there's an uproar?

Training needs to be fixed, the veterans who join need to have the right mindset. Elite military units boot out people all the time for having the wrong mindset, yet nobody else can do it else they seem unpatriotic.

The failure comes from the departments and local governments who want to blow their budget on high end military gear, and armored vehicles instead of better training.

It's not the fault of the officer, it's a failure of department leadership. Failure to identify and remove crappy officers, failure to train them as good as they can, failure to change the mindset from war to protection.

And that's all I'm going to say.

49ers still suck and the Muppet is a crappy QB. I guess he should be used to sitting down, it's where he'll spend most of the season.

I kind of agree with this. A large part of the problem is the militarization of the police. They've become in many ways a paramilitary force - they dont' look like cops they look like soldiers on campaign in an active war zone. They may tell you "well that's because it is a war zone" - but does raising the escalation level through intimidation and imposition of your will on theirs by physical force solve the issue? You can't permanently subdue your own civilian populace in this way. Any military historian will tell you one of the hardest things to do is to maintain an armed occupation against the will of the populace which is why you try and win "hearts and minds". This isn't done by dressing up in body armor and pushing your weight around. Its done by old fashioned policing - policing by consent and by individual cops working a beat getting to know their neighborhood and the people who live in it and by earning their respect day in day out for years on end. Its hard - and dangerous. I wouldn't want to do it - but we have to fix the social contract somehow before it completely falls apart. Division and seams in society are growing ever wider. Its frightening to think what could happen....

Sorry for the off topic political post but I thought Blue Coconut's post was interesting - especially coming from a military man.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither of us were there

Or were you?
It was on video. but you are right. Neither of us were there or at any other of these events. So why assume that "don't break the law" is the answer if you weren't there?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It was on video. but you are right. Neither of us were there or at any other of these events. So why assume that "don't break the law" is the answer if you weren't there?

Oh, so is it your belief that the guy in Minny as well as the get other are getting shot while complying with arresting officers demands?

Pretty sure it's an attitude thing here, but go ahead with your "social major" beliefs

Carry on

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I will not blame the Brits of today for your forefathers mistakes flv.... Funny how people living today get blamed and hung on the cross for the hideous acts of those before them... I'm of Italian descent and our Mafia asses have done some heinous crimes in past history so go ahead and smash a meatball in my face why don't ya... LOL ;)

italy-flag-waving-animated-gif-21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.