Joe Noteboom Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Evans, Edwards and Havenstein are FAs after next year - so I'd expect a G and a T in the draft.

Although....extending Havenstein now would be cool and would eliminate much of the concern.
I’ll have a G & T after work - usually Hendricks Gin…

But I agree - hopefully we draft a couple of OL this draft to develop over the next couple of years

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I read a breakdown of Noteboom’s contract… it mentioned voidable years.. and the author said the Rams use that gimmick all the time.

I have NEVER heard of the Rams doing that and the move represents exactly the kind of mindset I was hoping for.

Am I taking crazy pills? Are there other Rams deals with “voidable years?”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read a breakdown of Noteboom’s contract… it mentioned voidable years.. and the author said the Rams use that gimmick all the time.

I have NEVER heard of the Rams doing that and the move represents exactly the kind of mindset I was hoping for.

Am I taking crazy pills? Are there other Rams deals with “voidable years?”
Read the details under the yearly breakdown.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Read the details under the yearly breakdown.

Exactly.
.. and thank you!
Have NOT seen the Rams use this tool and the possibility was one of many reasons I wasn’t worried about their cap issues.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I feel much more comfortable :sunglasses::startstruck::hug:now about this OL with this great news on Joseph Noteboom!

The only negative was the health issue & I fully understand because those concerns have merit when you have been placed on the IR the last 3 seasons in a row. JN just completed his 4th season.

Having other OL'ers like David Edwards & Alaric Jackson available & signed should JN get injured helps this situation out a ton.

Bonifay’d- great post.

AJ Jackson will now be the LT of the future. David Edwards proved he could play LT? Riddle me this one.

—When Whitworth & Noteboom both had Covid , what happened to at LT ?

I also think this kid from Italy will be excellent.The Rams have kept there core players.Les Snead has been PROUD of this group.Austin Corbett was a rent a player for 2 1/2 seasons.How did that workout for a 5th rd pick ?

Lmao- your boy Bobby Evans is still around.I remember posting about him https://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-offensive-line-2021.64410/

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Bonifay’d- great post.

AJ Jackson will now be the LT of the future. David Edwards proved he could play LT? Riddle me this one.

—When Whitworth & Noteboom both had Covid , what happened to at LT ?
David Edwards got the start at LT… Shelton was LG. When Allen got hurt, Shelton moved to C, Edwards moved back to guard and Jackson played LT.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Disagree. If there had been a lot of interest that likely means competing offers and you don't retain a LT at that rate. Top LTs are at $23M. He's nearly 10 lower on average.

So sample size factored in here. He was not pursued hotly and that's why we got him back at our price. Even one team being dumb and he would have been gone. I think we are fortunate here in fact.
Oh, I think there was plenty of interest in that price range.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh, I think there was plenty of interest in that price range.
Unlikely. Interest only matters in this conversation if they're willing to put up an offer bigger than what the Rams did. Rams just locked up their LT of the future at a $3.5M cap hit for 2022 and $15.5M hit for 2023 with an out for 2024. That shit doesn't happen if teams were lined up and after him.

The Noteboom team tested the waters and heard fuckin crickets my man.

oldnotdead

Legend
People don't follow me on Havenstein because they believe the PFF ratings. More than one article has exposed their lack of credibility over the years. No NFL FO goes by them, HC simply roll their eyes.

In the past two seasons he's given up 12 sacks, compared to Blythe who allowed 7 sacks his last two years. That doesn't even account for the pressures, and QB hits Rob has given up. Edwards who clearly struggled last year gave up 7 sacks which is the same as Havenstein. Rob's forte used to be run blocking and it's why he's at RT. But he's been so poor they have focused upon the left side. They only run to the right when Kupp is there to block. Basically, PFF downgraded Edwards but praised Havenstein despite an equivalent level of play which is why coaches and FOs roll their eyes at PFF.

That is why I am down on Havenstein and Edwards.

oldnotdead

Legend
Unlikely. Interest only matters in this conversation if they're willing to put up an offer bigger than what the Rams did. Rams just locked up their LT of the future at a $3.5M cap hit for 2022 and $15.5M hit for 2023 with an out for 2024. That shit doesn't happen if teams were lined up and after him.

I disagree. Noteboom and his agent have known all along since last year he was the heir apparent at LT. His agent knows how much being the Ram's LT increases his value. Teams being turned away with their trade offers knew he was staying much the same way I knew he wasn't going anywhere. But it's why they signed him before other teams could tender their offers. It's also why it's only for 3 years. Joe knows he will earn a premium payday in 3 years.

Go ahead look at his film and look at Terron Armstead's. They are very similar only, at this stage Terron is a better run blocker. That is a skill that can be developed. It's not like Joe can't run block it's a matter of consistency which only comes with experience. Even the media knew there was interest.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I like Noteboom because he can protect the QB. His injury history though is stil a concern and his run blocking is not up there with the top tier tackles like Whitowrth. I also like this contract he signed. If he continues to improve his run blocking and can stay on the field he is a great bargain and he will earn himslef a bigger payday. Unfortunately I think the nagging injuries will continue but on the bright side the Rams have a fine prospect in Jackson who may be the real long-term answer at LT. Boom's contract is well- structured so that if Jackson does ascend he can step into the stating LT roll when is he ready in another year or two.

Tano

Legend
People don't follow me on Havenstein because they believe the PFF ratings. More than one article has exposed their lack of credibility over the years. No NFL FO goes by them, HC simply roll their eyes.

In the past two seasons he's given up 12 sacks, compared to Blythe who allowed 7 sacks his last two years. That doesn't even account for the pressures, and QB hits Rob has given up. Edwards who clearly struggled last year gave up 7 sacks which is the same as Havenstein. Rob's forte used to be run blocking and it's why he's at RT. But he's been so poor they have focused upon the left side. They only run to the right when Kupp is there to block. Basically, PFF downgraded Edwards but praised Havenstein despite an equivalent level of play which is why coaches and FOs roll their eyes at PFF.

That is why I am down on Havenstein and Edwards.
7 sacks given up by a center is like 21 sacks given up by a right tackle

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I disagree. Noteboom and his agent have known all along since last year he was the heir apparent at LT. His agent knows how much being the Ram's LT increases his value. Teams being turned away with their trade offers knew he was staying much the same way I knew he wasn't going anywhere. But it's why they signed him before other teams could tender their offers. It's also why it's only for 3 years. Joe knows he will earn a premium payday in 3 years.

Go ahead look at his film and look at Terron Armstead's. They are very similar only, at this stage Terron is a better run blocker. That is a skill that can be developed. It's not like Joe can't run block it's a matter of consistency which only comes with experience. Even the media knew there was interest.
Way I see it there are two possibilities here.

1. Boom was highly sought after by other teams but the Rams signed him at a bargain.

2. The market spoke.

But at this point it's a stupid thing to argue about. Not trying to knock the guy. And I am glad we got him back, though I'm not sure this OL will be able to improve as I was hoping for on the ground.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Disagree. If there had been a lot of interest that likely means competing offers and you don't retain a LT at that rate. Top LTs are at $23M. He's nearly 10 lower on average.

So sample size factored in here. He was not pursued hotly and that's why we got him back at our price. Even one team being dumb and he would have been gone. I think we are fortunate here in fact.

The difference may be that some of us fans are taking Noteboom more at face value than projecting him as a top LT during these contract negotiations, which he really only aspires to be at this point in his career. In 4 years Noteboom has had 1260 part-time total NFL snaps, Whitworth averaged 1000 snaps per year over his last 10 years, ... putting 'top LT's' in the same category with Noteboom is rather disingenuous. Also, Noteboom has suffered some well publicized injuries, although I believe all of them when playing out of position at LG or as the 6'th man in a 'jumbo' set.
The one thing I've always kept in mind with Boom is whether he has disappointed me during his playing time while often coming in off the bench cold, ... and he has not. Noteboom has only had 4 penalties in his 4 years here, and while he's still developing better run blocking skills, he's been excellent in pass-pro, his primary assignment.
Much the same can be said of Brian Allen when judging his value. His absences have also received a good deal of attention, and he again has had 4 penalties in total during his 1500 snaps. Both young players are receiving contracts based on past performance as well as future anticipation for continued development, they aren't returning with out-of-line contracts or being hyped as 'top' players in their positions, ... not yet anyway.
The Rams paid a fair price based on an assumption that these two players can carry us thru the next couple of years with the same success they have already presented in their short span with us, and in 2 or 3 years we'll be right back here having this discussion once again.
jmo.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the older Ram fans in here @ ROD can muster up some brain cells to utilize in order to have a good example on Noteboom to compare with would be Rodger Saffold who just a few days ago many were clamoring for him to be resigned even at 34 yrs old.

RS was also bounced early from the LT post to other OL posts just as Noteboom was & he was also injured often in his first half dozen season here as a Ram.

Years later fans were still thinking he was very valuable even after all the surgeries & reconstruction he has undergone.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

The $3.5 number is irrelevant. He got $16.5 up front. He gets $25 for sure in the first two years unless they cut him. The last two years are voidable to spread the bonus out.

My counter is that the Noteboom team heard similar value and length and decided the best way to get another big contract was to play for a team that knows exactly how to use him in a situation he's completely comfortable with and has nothing to really adjust to.

The Rams ain't into charity.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Then how do you explain Demby & Evans ?
Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco