Joe Noteboom Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans, Edwards and Havenstein are FAs after next year - so I'd expect a G and a T in the draft.

Although....extending Havenstein now would be cool and would eliminate much of the concern.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So what are we paying our entire oline this year 21mill. Hahaha

Saving cash for something

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Evans, Edwards and Havenstein are FAs after next year - so I'd expect a G and a T in the draft.

Although....extending Havenstein now would be cool and would eliminate much of the concern.

OG is a must in the draft imo. If the Rams extend Havenstein and have intentions to re-sign Edwards eventually, I'm not sure we'll need to draft another OT for this draft. We'll have Noteboom, Alaric Jackson, Havenstein, Edwards, Brewer, Evans & Anchrum who have all had playing time at OT, and we still don't know what Pircher & Ealy might have in them. A very late rounder or another UDFA may be more likely at OT.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As predicted there was a lot of interest in signing Noteboom by a number of teams.
Disagree. If there had been a lot of interest that likely means competing offers and you don't retain a LT at that rate. Top LTs are at $23M. He's nearly 10 lower on average.

So sample size factored in here. He was not pursued hotly and that's why we got him back at our price. Even one team being dumb and he would have been gone. I think we are fortunate here in fact.

dang

Legend
As predicted there was a lot of interest in signing Noteboom by a number of teams. His was the most important signing of all the OL. Good LTs are hard to find and all are expensive. I noted previously that Noteboom right now is on par with one of the better LTs in the NFL, Terron Armstead. Terron's last contract was $13M with $30M guaranteed so Noteboom's contract is fairly slotted. Look at it this way, Whitworth was due $17.6M this year so they are clearing more than $4M in cap overall when Whitworth retires.

Have you looked at the top end LT contracts? They are $19M to over $20M per year. This is a fair deal for both the Rams and Noteboom and IMO his was the most important of the OL FAs to sign.

I don't get some people on this board. People want to upgrade the OL but don't like when they are paid? This opens the door for Jackson to be the RT either this season or in 2023. Jackson looked very good in preseason and his limited action. Once he takes that next step the Rams will have two good OTs.

Allen has been resigned at market value ($8M) because good centers are hard to find.

Corbett is reportedly being courted by the Bengals. As I've said he's not a bad RG but neither is he an elite RG. He's a journeyman type of OG which every OL needs to keep the OL costs down. They have an option to Corbett in Shelton who is a RFA and gives them flexibiltiy as a OG and backup center. I wouldn't mind putting Corbett back at LG where he played better and Shelton at RG.

Releasing Havenstein would probably pay enough to get Corbett extended. Rob could be the only cap casualty this year. They have Jackson as the replacement. Or they might keep Havenstein for a mid to late round comp pick. He will be on the wrong side of 30 so that will keep his market value down. But releasing both Havenstein and Withworth clears enough to re-sign Noteboom, Allen, Corbett and Shelton which is the core of the OL.

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Sheton
RT Jackson

Edwards swing OT, Anchrum swing OG, TBD

This would be a good OL on par if not better than last year's OL which won a Super Bowl for the Rams. Corbett would be an upgrade over Edwards and Jackson could be an upgrade over Havenstein. The main thing is they would be getting younger on the OL with these guys as starters. Again I expect them to draft both an OT and OG this year to add depth.

Miller, OBJ, Michel, Howard, Gay, are the remaining FAs they need to resign.

I see them extending Robinson clearing cap. He did nothing for two years then came up money in the playoffs. With him on the DL on early downs along with Gaines they have plugged the middle of the DL against the run.

I expect Floyd to restructure adding one year and maybe a second year as voidable to spread the cap.
You lost me at ‘Releasing Hav’. Every word after that was determined to be null and void.

oldnotdead

Legend
Disagree. If there had been a lot of interest that likely means competing offers and you don't retain a LT at that rate. Top LTs are at $23M. He's nearly 10 lower on average.

So sample size factored in here. He was not pursued hotly and that's why we got him back at our price. Even one team being dumb and he would have been gone. I think we are fortunate here in fact.

Over the past two years, the Rams turned down a number of trade requests for Joe. His play has not gone unnoticed IMO. When you look at his play it is very comparable to Terron Armstead. I loved Armstead when he was in the draft. He was a steal in the third round. IMO Noteboom is a comparable steal also taken in the third round. The bust rate for LTs is high so teams will pay for a talent that projects as a franchise level player. I've said it for a long time Noteboom is a franchise level LT. I believe there was another former GM sitting with Snead at Noteboom's first start against the 49ers. During the game, he told Snead that he could see Noteboom could really play and was a steal. The sample size is more than sufficient, especially since it's been against NFL opposition. He's given up 3 sacks with two being at OG a position he's never played in his career. Another brilliant move by Kromer, like starting Blythe over Allen at center.

I assumed that Snead talked to Noteboom and his agent and assured them that Joe was in their long term plans and that he would get paid. They are simply honoring that commitment. It's like when people were making a big fuss over Corbett as a center, I knew from watching his game film with the Browns that he had a lot of issues at the position. Watching him play LG with the Rams I could see that OG would be his best position. I still think it was a mistake to move him to RG. He played better on the left side.

Les Snead recently went on the “Coach McVay Show” to inform J.B. Long and D’Marco Farr that multiple teams attempted to trade for Noteboom before.

“Internally, we’ve felt confident in what Joe does. And just to give everyone a little bit of insight, Joe’s one of those players where a lot of teams tried to trade for him,” Snead said.

It's much like Alaric Jackson. Now his sample size is definitely small. But it's enough that you can see his potential.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
As predicted there was a lot of interest in signing Noteboom by a number of teams. His was the most important signing of all the OL. Good LTs are hard to find and all are expensive. I noted previously that Noteboom right now is on par with one of the better LTs in the NFL, Terron Armstead. Terron's last contract was $13M with $30M guaranteed so Noteboom's contract is fairly slotted. Look at it this way, Whitworth was due $17.6M this year so they are clearing more than $4M in cap overall when Whitworth retires.

Have you looked at the top end LT contracts? They are $19M to over $20M per year. This is a fair deal for both the Rams and Noteboom and IMO his was the most important of the OL FAs to sign.

I don't get some people on this board. People want to upgrade the OL but don't like when they are paid? This opens the door for Jackson to be the RT either this season or in 2023. Jackson looked very good in preseason and his limited action. Once he takes that next step the Rams will have two good OTs.

Allen has been resigned at market value ($8M) because good centers are hard to find.

Corbett is reportedly being courted by the Bengals. As I've said he's not a bad RG but neither is he an elite RG. He's a journeyman type of OG which every OL needs to keep the OL costs down. They have an option to Corbett in Shelton who is a RFA and gives them flexibiltiy as a OG and backup center. I wouldn't mind putting Corbett back at LG where he played better and Shelton at RG.

Releasing Havenstein would probably pay enough to get Corbett extended. Rob could be the only cap casualty this year. They have Jackson as the replacement. Or they might keep Havenstein for a mid to late round comp pick. He will be on the wrong side of 30 so that will keep his market value down. But releasing both Havenstein and Withworth clears enough to re-sign Noteboom, Allen, Corbett and Shelton which is the core of the OL.

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Sheton
RT Jackson

Edwards swing OT, Anchrum swing OG, TBD

This would be a good OL on par if not better than last year's OL which won a Super Bowl for the Rams. Corbett would be an upgrade over Edwards and Jackson could be an upgrade over Havenstein. The main thing is they would be getting younger on the OL with these guys as starters. Again I expect them to draft both an OT and OG this year to add depth.

Miller, OBJ, Michel, Howard, Gay, are the remaining FAs they need to resign.

I see them extending Robinson clearing cap. He did nothing for two years then came up money in the playoffs. With him on the DL on early downs along with Gaines they have plugged the middle of the DL against the run.

I expect Floyd to restructure adding one year and maybe a second year as voidable to spread the cap.
Sorry man, can't follow you on Hav. Every year, for whatever crazy ass reason, some folks want to get rid of this guy. No way in hell Jackson takes over for Hav or is he better. We have a very quality right tackle on a very affordable contract.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
OldNotDead loves you for that comment.

OldNotDead hates you for that comment.
Now I'll add this caveat for OldNotDead......only way I'd be on board for this type of move is if it nets us another elite type player in FA. However our line depth would be very iffy. Would be risky as hell, but who the fuck am I kidding, I'd root for the Rams regardless of who they sign hahahahaha

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Now I'll add this caveat for OldNotDead......only way I'd be on board for this type of move is if it nets us another elite type player in FA. However our line depth would be very iffy. Would be risky as hell, but who the fuck am I kidding, I'd root for the Rams regardless of who they sign hahahahaha
And you said you were not 'dopey' earlier today.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Love the signing. It's cheap and gives us a homegrown franchise left tackle for (I hope) the next three years. And I'll be honest: if Havenstein breaks the bank next year (hope he won't, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. The one thing you can't do is trade him when you're potentially losing him, Edwards, and Evans next year.), you have A-Jax ready and waiting.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Love the signing. It's cheap and gives us a homegrown franchise left tackle for (I hope) the next three years. And I'll be honest: if Havenstein breaks the bank next year (hope he won't, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. The one thing you can't do is trade him when you're potentially losing him, Edwards, and Evans next year.), you have A-Jax ready and waiting.

One way to prevent Havenstein breaking the bank on us next year would be to extend him this off-season. If he doesn't agree to a reasonable contract, then the genie is likely out of the bottle and the best solution may be to trade him now while the iron's hot. It won't be popular, but he'd command big compensation. It really comes down to how management feels about Edwards, Jackson, Pircher & Ealy with their OT development. jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
One way to prevent Havenstein breaking the bank on us next year would be to extend him this off-season. If he doesn't agree to a reasonable contract, then the genie is likely out of the bottle and the best solution may be to trade him now while the iron's hot. It won't be popular, but he'd command big compensation. It really comes down to how management feels about Edwards, Jackson, Pircher & Ealy with their OT development. jmo.
OK. You need to stop associating with Old-Not-Dead immediately. Seriously, No Contact!

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
No need, he's an RFA for 2022. Maybe next year he'll get such an offer.
Agreed but why not sign him now so that we have him under contract before he likely becomes a starter? We have all seen how effective he is at moving people and so it looks like he will handle RG and back up Allen at center. As has been pointed out, he snaps left handed as well which is important. We might regret waiting is my view

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Agreed but why not sign him now so that we have him under contract before he likely becomes a starter? We have all seen how effective he is at moving people and so it looks like he will handle RG and back up Allen at center. As has been pointed out, he snaps left handed as well which is important. We might regret waiting is my view

As it turns out, Shelton was signed for two years today, so his status as an RFA has ended.