Joe Noteboom Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Too much $$$ , but as I said in the Allen thread what else was available and at what cost?
If he plays the way he has when given the opportunity at LT, it's actually a bargain. The questions are if he can keep it up and whether he can stay healthy.

A decent starting LT that hits the open market with the current bump in the salary cap probably goes for $15 million plus.. and Noteboom has definitely been decent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The difference may be that some of us fans are taking Noteboom more at face value than projecting him as a top LT during these contract negotiations, which he really only aspires to be at this point in his career.
Well we are discussing his value. Which is clearly lower on the market than starting LTs who were paid before him.

I don't have any issue with fans overvaluing our own. I do it too time to time. But he basically got a prove-it contract because there was enough concern about his readiness around the league.

The contract tells us a story. Teams weren't high on Boom on the market and the Rams benefitted.

So for myself, as I process this it seems that the trend with the Rams and their OL FAs is keeping the guys they can lock down on a budget. They did the exact same thing with Hav, locking him up at a discount. Guys who get good offers in FA leave. That seems to be the model. Because they also extended Shelton on a bargain which was my favorite move so far.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well we are discussing his value. Which is clearly lower on the market than starting LTs who were paid before him.

I don't have any issue with fans overvaluing our own. I do it too time to time. But he basically got a prove-it contract because there was enough concern about his readiness around the league.

The contract tells us a story. Teams weren't high on Boom on the market and the Rams benefitted.

So for myself, as I process this it seems that the trend with the Rams and their OL FAs is keeping the guys they can lock down on a budget. They did the exact same thing with Hav, locking him up at a discount. Guys who get good offers in FA leave. That seems to be the model. Because they also extended Shelton on a bargain which was my favorite move so far.

Noteboom never reached free agency, so any speculation on his reaching or not reaching market value comes with no verification or evidence, ... unless you can provide some links as to why other teams were supposedly showing a lack of interest, ... again, it's just more speculation. Noteboom may very well appreciate living, working & winning a Super Bowl in L.A., and if so, he likely conveyed that message to his agent, all that matters to me is for the Rams and their fans to be happy that a fair arrangement came to fruition and that all sides are satisfied with the terms. jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Noteboom never reached free agency, so any speculation on his reaching or not reaching market value comes with no verification or evidence, ... unless you can provide some links as to why other teams were supposedly showing a lack of interest, ... again, it's just more speculation. Noteboom may very well appreciate living, working & winning a Super Bowl in L.A., and if so, he likely conveyed that message to his agent, all that matters to me is for the Rams and their fans to be happy that a fair arrangement came to fruition and that all sides are satisfied with the terms. jmo.
Well.. the argument that he didn’t get top market value means that there wasn’t interest in him is silly to me. Darious Williams didn’t get too market value, but we know multiple teams had interest.
The price point was right for a guy with Noteboom’s history. There is a little bit of a gamble.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it very hard to believe and think there's a lot of stretching the imagination that a guy who has starting quality tape as a LT in the NFL had no teams interested in him in free agency. And yes he did get there to free agency the tampering period means any team can talk to him. It's also just as logical that the Rams/Whit/Boom and their agents knew in advance of Monday what the plan was and since both were Rams they could discuss numbers and the outcome.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just a note in regards to price and whether it was too much, the salary cap is expected to sky rocket after new tv deals are done next year. That seems to be a big reason why teams are embracing the "void year" deals also. Contract costs are going to skyrocket again over the next 3 years in free agency. So even contracts that seem way too high now might seem quite good by next offseason. Reminds me of Higbee's deal when there was a lot of angst over the amount but it ended up being a fairly middle of the pack contract within a year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m still stoked about this. Great having Boom back

Where did he go ?

Come Here GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Noteboom never reached free agency, so any speculation on his reaching or not reaching market value comes with no verification or evidence, ... unless you can provide some links as to why other teams were supposedly showing a lack of interest, ...
I don't have to prove anything. This is just the way I read the end result. Don't care if anyone agrees either.

If there was all the interest so many assume is there he would have forced the Rams to make a decision. But they didn't have to. And we keep a guy we developed on the cheap so end result is good.

sloramfan

Starter
wait a minute here...

so a guy who jumps in and starts when whitworth goes down, against a powerful ( fuck i dont even remember which team it was) and absolutely dominates... is not worth a really good contract?

WE'RE TALKING LEFT TACKLE BOYS!!!!!

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE DETRACTORS!!!!

geeze, sometimes i wonder what the motivation is for some of the moronic takes i read...

go rams

go joe...

slo

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
This was a must with Whit retiring but the Rams need a dependable backup to Noteboom too, they must protect Stafford at all cost.

TexasRam

Legend
After watching the Boom and Allen calls (over at therams.com) it appeared clear that both Noteboom and Allen really wanted to stay here. The major reason (from their own words) was the familiarity with our offense and scheme and how it gave them a great chance to succeed. Both being relatively non established players, it seems they valued maximizing their brand at this moment over potential short term bigger payday. Just my impression. Does this mean both had a real good idea how much more they could make in Free Agency? I don't know. I just know both wanted to stay here. It's probably a good move because they are both still growing and success now could lead to much bigger contracts later vs potentially declining and washing out on another team.

TexasRam

Legend
I will say, he is not the most charismatic guy ..not that it matters.
Yea he always seems a little nervous. Kind of plays that way to. Hesitant and unsure at times. Really blessed with natural feet and balance however. Really refined his technique to a pro level as well behind Whitworth's tutelage.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The difference may be that some of us fans are taking Noteboom more at face value than projecting him as a top LT during these contract negotiations, which he really only aspires to be at this point in his career. In 4 years Noteboom has had 1260 part-time total NFL snaps, Whitworth averaged 1000 snaps per year over his last 10 years, ... putting 'top LT's' in the same category with Noteboom is rather disingenuous. Also, Noteboom has suffered some well publicized injuries, although I believe all of them when playing out of position at LG or as the 6'th man in a 'jumbo' set.
The one thing I've always kept in mind with Boom is whether he has disappointed me during his playing time while often coming in off the bench cold, ... and he has not. Noteboom has only had 4 penalties in his 4 years here, and while he's still developing better run blocking skills, he's been excellent in pass-pro, his primary assignment.
Much the same can be said of Brian Allen when judging his value. His absences have also received a good deal of attention, and he again has had 4 penalties in total during his 1500 snaps. Both young players are receiving contracts based on past performance as well as future anticipation for continued development, they aren't returning with out-of-line contracts or being hyped as 'top' players in their positions, ... not yet anyway.
The Rams paid a fair price based on an assumption that these two players can carry us thru the next couple of years with the same success they have already presented in their short span with us, and in 2 or 3 years we'll be right back here having this discussion once again.
jmo.

So let’s have the discussion now. What would you do & what do things look like in 2 years?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This was a must with Whit retiring but the Rams need a dependable backup to Noteboom too, they must protect Stafford at all cost.
Agree but do you see Alaric Jackson or Tremayne Anchrum or starting LG David Edwards being what you say the Rams need in a dependable backup?

My position is this Ram Org. has the above matter resolved with the 3 OL'ers mentioned above along with Joseph Noteboom as the starter.

The only real concerns or needs involving the OL IMO are @ OG. I would check off the box marked "Dependable Back-Up @ LT".

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
After watching the Boom and Allen calls (over at therams.com) it appeared clear that both Noteboom and Allen really wanted to stay here. The major reason (from their own words) was the familiarity with our offense and scheme and how it gave them a great chance to succeed. Both being relatively non established players, it seems they valued maximizing their brand at this moment over potential short term bigger payday. Just my impression. Does this mean both had a real good idea how much more they could make in Free Agency? I don't know. I just know both wanted to stay here. It's probably a good move because they are both still growing and success now could lead to much bigger contracts later vs potentially declining and washing out on another team.
They both know they'll get the best version of themselves by staying with the Rams and have the best chance to earn their full contracts AND, especially with Noteboom, get another big contract.