Joe Noteboom Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It wouldn’t surprise me if the Rams put the deal together after they figured everything out and said. “This is the best we can do, I hope you’ll stay”.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It wouldn’t surprise me if the Rams put the deal together after they figured everything out and said. “This is the best we can do, I hope you’ll stay”.
Agreed and again, Noteboom against the Buccaneers in the playoffs was amazing, just need him healthy and he'll be asset that comes shining through.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well first off congrats to 70. He's done his time and taken some serious flak around here and improved each year. So he deserves the payday and starting gig and hope he makes the most of it..

Well, it's $25M guaranteed over 3 yrs so who knows what the structure & the incentives are or how bonuses are structured. Last yr could be bloated and they could cut ties if he is not worth it, with a minimal cap hit.
I suspect you're correct and have to think there is an escape clause/structure built in. Hopefully it won't be needed but this is a big opportunity for Boom to show the league what he can do too. If he can lock things down on that left side maybe he gets that massive extension down the road.

IMO, great move, Noteboom is an upper echelon LT in pass protection plus has been improving on his run blocking too, durability is the only issue here, but Alaric Jackson is in reserve and ready to be the backup LT moving forward...Glad the kept Boom...Great Job.

I suspect the Rams saw the market shaping up for him and paid him what he was gonna get. Hard to fault them there. You don't want to push your luck too much at a critical spot like LT. This is still a bit of a dice roll I think, in terms of him staying healthy, but it's less a dice roll than going with just Jackson there.

If the Rams stand pat on the OL now they are going to have one of the cheapest units in the league again with both Boom and Havenstein on favorable deals. I mean $13M per for a LT is cheap. So that total infers what many of us had in questions wrt Boom going forward as a starter. Seems like a fair deal all around and I'm happy with how the Rams played it.

TexasRam

Legend
Had to be done.

The Risk of not having a proven pass blocking LT was too great.

He’s proven his chops at LT - especially in that Tampa game.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Noteboom is an elite pass blocker, at least based on the small sample size we have seen. His run blocking could certainly improve, although call it bad I do not think would be fair. Some more musings here, but if the Rams felt comfortable committing to Noteboom like this, despite his small sample size, injury history, and unspectacular run blocking, I think it show they fully intend to keep this offense being very pass-heavy, and will value pass protection in their LTs perhaps even a bit disproportionately.

Hard to say I blame them, with Stafford at the helm and the WRs this roster has at its disposal.

Though it is concerning how the Rams struggled to run the ball in the playoffs. In the end the Rams won it all, but I would think it uncommon to do so while struggling so much to run. Hopefully we can find a way to beef up the interior, and Noteboom's run blocking continues to improve.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Boom gets the job done it pluses up this OL with Jackson as an option on the interior. Nothing wrong with playing your future LT at LG for a season or two. And if Boom kills it then Jackson might carve out a future as a top OG who knows.

I was disappointed in Edwards in 2022. But that said so much of OL is guys working on the same sheet of music, and mistakes have a way of making guys look worse than they are. So make Edwards compete with Jackson at LG. Or move him to RG and have him compete with Evans/Anchrum.

Either way competition is going to need to get us to that improved run game so many of us want.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Extending Boom was a no brainer. He’s at least a near-elite pass blocker and protecting Stafford is Job One for any OL player.

He’s affordable.

He knows this playbook cold.

Absolutely zero off field issues.

‘Football smart.

Great teammate.

Hell, what more do you want at LOT for another SB run?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Extending Boom was a no brainer. He’s at least a near-elite pass blocker and protecting Stafford is Job One for any OL player.

He’s affordable.

‘Football smart.

Great teammate.

I feel much more comfortable :sunglasses::startstruck::hug:now about this OL with this great news on Joseph Noteboom!

The only negative was the health issue & I fully understand because those concerns have merit when you have been placed on the IR the last 3 seasons in a row. JN just completed his 4th season.

Having other OL'ers like David Edwards & Alaric Jackson available & signed should JN get injured helps this situation out a ton.

Psycho_X

Legend

He’s affordable.

‘Football smart.

Great teammate.

To add to your points, he is always at Whitworth's home gym working out with the other starting olineman so you know there's no dedication issues in the offseason. When I saw him keep popping up in Whitworth's work out videos I was ok with keeping him around long term.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Like the deal but man…. Reggie needs to work some magic with him

oldnotdead

Legend
As predicted there was a lot of interest in signing Noteboom by a number of teams. His was the most important signing of all the OL. Good LTs are hard to find and all are expensive. I noted previously that Noteboom right now is on par with one of the better LTs in the NFL, Terron Armstead. Terron's last contract was $13M with $30M guaranteed so Noteboom's contract is fairly slotted. Look at it this way, Whitworth was due $17.6M this year so they are clearing more than $4M in cap overall when Whitworth retires.

Have you looked at the top end LT contracts? They are $19M to over $20M per year. This is a fair deal for both the Rams and Noteboom and IMO his was the most important of the OL FAs to sign.

I don't get some people on this board. People want to upgrade the OL but don't like when they are paid? This opens the door for Jackson to be the RT either this season or in 2023. Jackson looked very good in preseason and his limited action. Once he takes that next step the Rams will have two good OTs.

Allen has been resigned at market value ($8M) because good centers are hard to find.

Corbett is reportedly being courted by the Bengals. As I've said he's not a bad RG but neither is he an elite RG. He's a journeyman type of OG which every OL needs to keep the OL costs down. They have an option to Corbett in Shelton who is a RFA and gives them flexibiltiy as a OG and backup center. I wouldn't mind putting Corbett back at LG where he played better and Shelton at RG.

Releasing Havenstein would probably pay enough to get Corbett extended. Rob could be the only cap casualty this year. They have Jackson as the replacement. Or they might keep Havenstein for a mid to late round comp pick. He will be on the wrong side of 30 so that will keep his market value down. But releasing both Havenstein and Withworth clears enough to re-sign Noteboom, Allen, Corbett and Shelton which is the core of the OL.

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Sheton
RT Jackson

Edwards swing OT, Anchrum swing OG, TBD

This would be a good OL on par if not better than last year's OL which won a Super Bowl for the Rams. Corbett would be an upgrade over Edwards and Jackson could be an upgrade over Havenstein. The main thing is they would be getting younger on the OL with these guys as starters. Again I expect them to draft both an OT and OG this year to add depth.

Miller, OBJ, Michel, Howard, Gay, are the remaining FAs they need to resign.

I see them extending Robinson clearing cap. He did nothing for two years then came up money in the playoffs. With him on the DL on early downs along with Gaines they have plugged the middle of the DL against the run.

I expect Floyd to restructure adding one year and maybe a second year as voidable to spread the cap.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Big if true

That would be great if true. Different amounts, but the Allen contract could easily be just as creative.
Potentially signing both Von Miller & Bobby Wagner just made that much simpler. Whitworth's 2022 contract which is likely retired will be over double the amount of savings that both Boom & Allen would cost towards the 2022 CAP. Gotta love it ...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To add to your points, he is always at Whitworth's home gym working out with the other starting olineman so you know there's no dedication issues in the offseason. When I saw him keep popping up in Whitworth's work out videos I was ok with keeping him around long term.

:pointup:This.

Noteboom appears to be a pro.