Joe Barksdale signs with Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
And cut who in the process?

Garrett Reynolds or Travis Bond or Brandon Washington or any of the other not as great players that might make the roster. Like it or not, he's better than some guys on the team. Hell, I'd carry an extra OL and cut one of our RBs in Watts or Pead or any of them.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Garrett Reynolds or Travis Bond or Brandon Washington or any of the other not as great players that might make the roster. Like it or not, he's better than some guys on the team. Hell, I'd carry an extra OL and cut one of our RBs in Watts or Pead or any of them.

I think Bond and Washington may be on the outside looking in as it is. I think Reynolds would have been the battle - but I'm thinking positional flexibility would win out. Or am I wrong in thinking that Joe can't play guard?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think Bond and Washington may be on the outside looking in as it is. I think Reynolds would have been the battle - but I'm thinking positional flexibility would win out. Or am I wrong in thinking that Joe can't play guard?

I don't know if he's played guard, but his huge size and dominating run blocking would translate well. Also, he struggles with speed rushers but he wouldn't have a problem with that at guard. I think he very well could. Probably not any worse than Reynolds.

Either way, even if those guys are on the outside looking in, I'd rather keep Joe at that cheap price than keep a guy like Pead or Watts or any other player that might make it purely because of ST that can be replaced.

lockdnram21

Legend
He probably did. there is nothing another $100K cannot fix. I have no confidence this staff can get their OL rookies ready by game 1 or even this year.
Well I think there going in the right direction by letting him go. I s sorry but imo he was horrible vs our division in pass protection

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd rather keep Joe at that cheap price than keep a guy like Pead or Watts or any other player that might make it purely because of ST that can be replaced.

Its hard to fill out the 53 man roster with an eye on making sure that your STs are all covered.

Covering kicks seems replaceable and trivial until you give up a long return.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Its hard to fill out the 53 man roster with an eye on making sure that your STs are all covered.

Covering kicks seems replaceable and trivial until you give up a long return.
We have the players to do it. We can put Bailey or Joyner or McLeod or any of those guys back on STs. It's not like we don't have the players.

ram007

Starter
Well I think there going in the right direction by letting him go. I s sorry but imo he was horrible vs our division in pass protection

I hope they prove me wrong. And I am damn not ready for another 1-3 start

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cheap and please don't take the wrong way, but if I was going to move San Diego would be on my short list, if money was not an issue. I could get used to 75 degrees and sunny most of the time.

I here that California has a great state income tax:whistle:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We have the players to do it. We can put Bailey or Joyner or McLeod or any of those guys back on STs. It's not like we don't have the players.

I know Bailey can get it done - I've seen it. Didn't get to see Joyner enough to say that he 'can do it' - but I know he got a look out there last year. It is a skill though - not just the kind of thing you can throw an athletic body at and call it a day.

Can you imagine the tension in the room on cut day? The ST coach, the OC, and the DC all out to make sure that their guys make it - but someone's guys are going to get the axe.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I know Bailey can get it done - I've seen it. Didn't get to see Joyner enough to say that he 'can do it' - but I know he got a look out there last year. It is a skill though - not just the kind of thing you can throw an athletic body at and call it a day.

Can you imagine the tension in the room on cut day? The ST coach, the OC, and the DC all out to make sure that their guys make it - but someone's guys are going to get the axe.

Yeah, it's tough. Someone is going to have to get cut. I'd just rather have an extra reliable vet on this young OL, and I think it's more beneficial than some other positions on the team, but I agree with you that you can't neglect other positions either. It's over now with Barksdale, obviously they disagreed with me, we'll see what they do from here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we made a mistake in not bringing him back on a prove it deal. This team can never have enough depth on the OL (we always suffer injuries there) and it would have been nice to have a veteran presence. But oh well, it is what it is.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If this team is serious about winning this season, whats wrong in paying an experienced average RT (who is only 26 years) like Barksdale the market money?

They offered him the market monie. He wanted more.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Pretty sure Joe was mad with us and not sure if he wanted the challenge of beating out our second round draft pick after all Snisher have piled on about the big kid with the belly fat.( I'm not happy JB did'nt think he could'nt beat out a rookie) Loved the PSU kid so much better who went before us even when Snead wanted to trade up, I believe for him. Think Bucs got my guy. Now Havenstein is my guy and JB is now playing on another prove it deal at a fairly young age to get a nice bigger contract, if he performs.
But was'nt that what he was on last year when all hell broke loose with Joseph, Wells and the pass rushers from the skins and chiefs both got 3 sacks a piece off ol'e JB. Many want to blame it on Joseph and Wells forcing JB to try and help more inside first and then got his lunch handed to him from 2 guys and 1 is just coming into his own on the skins thanks to JB.
Don't think JB could be a better guard than who and what we have now on the squad. So it was another versatility thing.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
There seem to be a lot of assumptions that the Rams didn't offer him the same money or more. We really don't know and likely never will unless Joe himself speaks about it. Joe was a decent RT but far from being irreplaceable. I wish him the best in SD but I don't think there was much of a push after the draft to sign him. If we add another Vet I think it'll be somebody like Reynolds, a guy who can play both guard and tackle if needed off the bench.
That's cheap. It's not really possible that we could have offered much less, if any at all.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In San Diego JB is supposedly being told that he can be the RT. In St Louis he might start the season as the starter, but Havenstein is likely to take over whenever he is ready. Can't say as I blame him - if he starts the full season and does okay he should get a lot more money next year.

Plus, he probably is a little peeved that the Rams told him his market value, stuck to it, and then were proven correct. Gotta hurt JB's ego a little.

ram007

Starter
They offered him the market monie. He wanted more.

Market money is what SD payed him. Anything wrong to given him 20% more and is Barksdale not worth $1.2+ million to a team that is ranked near bottom in their OL capabilities?