Joe Barksdale signs with Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can't post it on my phone, but Jim Thomas on Twitter said we offered him around $4M a year at one point. Should have taken it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Market money is what SD payed him. Anything wrong to given him 20% more and is Barksdale not worth $1.2+ million to a team that is ranked near bottom in their OL capabilities?

they supposedly offered him $4m and he refused. then they drafted their rt of now and the future. he wasn't gonna come back and sign a $1m contract.

he played hardball and he lost.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Just Speculating here but I figure that with the Reynolds signing and with three rookie tackles in camp (a fourth if you count Brown) that Joe understood he had no future with the Rams. Time to move on for both sides.

Thanks for your service Joe.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like to me that the Chargers will be doing a ton of running the ball now. If your OL

OLT>Dunlap 6-9 330/8
OLG>Frankin 6-7 320/5
OC> Watts 6-2 311/2
ORG>Fluker 6-5 340/3
ORT> Barksdale 6-5 326/4

This new OL has some size to it the five average out close to 6-6 327 pounds with 5 yrs of NFL experience. One would think that the rookie of the year award may come from this city with new rookie RB Melvin Gordan running through the the HOLES this OL should be able to generate!

Just do not ask them to pass block because it will not be pretty for the aging QB Phillips Rivers:eek:.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just Speculating here but I figure that with the Reynolds signing and with three rookie tackles in camp (a fourth if you count Brown) that Joe understood he had no future with the Rams. Time to move on for both sides.

Thanks for your service Joe.

I think that the early signing of UFA Garrett Reynolds placed the Barksdale Team under the parked bus.

The early May drafting & addition of four Ol'ers .....i.e.ORT Havenstein, ORT/OLT Brown, ORT Donnal & ORG Wichmann started the bus & then ran over the Barksdale Team leaving them as road kill.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would have preferred to keep him another season since he signed for that cheap. At least a year of insurance in case of injuries or rookies not being ready.

How much would a late UFA contract this week have sunk the Ram Org. plans & Cap $$$ in order to have your preference?

Are you thinking that the Rams Org. were offered that same "On The Cheap" contract as the Chargers Org. were offered? Not a chance IMO.

IMO Barksdale's team high demands were rejected by Ram Org. by a very large margin. So the Barksdale Team took their out of line demands elsewhere.

Elsewhere'ville also fully rejected those Barksdale Team high demands. Time past & more time past :oops:. By that time Rams org were deep into their 2015 seasons plans that was obvious to most ...did not include Barksdale Team demands nor Barksdale as a player.

I tend to believe that the Rams had plans to greatly improve the play coming form the 2014 seasons ORT post. I think the Rams off season UFA & 2015 draft would add merit to my thinking. Barksdale was nothing more than stopgap material as a short term starter early in this season. That a non starting Barksdale offers nothing in what Boudreau desires in a dressed game day OL reserve. A late off season signing of Barksdale would be nothing but a large monkey wrench landing in the middle of 2015 Ram team machine future plans.

…..

Legend
I think Joe is much better than given credit for. And if we let him walk for just 1.1m then shame on us.

So this means is we signed Garrett Reynolds for around the same money and let Joe go. Unbelievable and I am shaking my head at flawed decision making. jmo of course.

Good luck Joe.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Joe is much better than given credit for. And if we let him walk for just 1.1m then shame on us.

So this means is we signed Garrett Reynolds for around the same money and let Joe go. Unbelievable and I am shaking my head at flawed decision making. jmo of course.

Good luck Joe.

He was offered 4 million a year early in the free agency period and refused thinking he was worth more. Also I don't really like pff for their ratings but they had him as the 2nd worst pass blocker and the 3rd best run blocker. He has his own flaws, so we replaced him with a draft pick that has a similar skill set and will be cheaper. In the end it's Joe and his agents fault he had to sign for so cheap.

…..

Legend
He was offered 4 million a year early in the free agency period and refused thinking he was worth more. Also I don't really like pff for their ratings but they had him as the 2nd worst pass blocker and the 3rd best run blocker. He has his own flaws, so we replaced him with a draft pick that has a similar skill set and will be cheaper. In the end it's Joe and his agents fault he had to sign for so cheap.

I heard the rumors but has it ever been confirmed, the numbers you're using? .... could very well be true, and if it is then obviously the flawed decision making is on thier part, particularly an over zealous agent one would think.

I think everything I've heard is conjecture, but I might have missed something.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard the rumors but has it ever been confirmed, the numbers you're using? .... could very well be true, and if it is then obviously the flawed decision making is on thier part, particularly an over zealous agent one would think.

I think everything I've heard is conjecture, but I might have missed something.
The only confirmation we'll ever get is Barksdale saying this is what happened. Fisher and Snead aren't the type to come out and say this and I doubt Joe or his agent will. We do have JT and some others giving us figures for what the Rams offered and what Joe/his agent were seeking.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Joe Barksdale contract has been filed with league. It's for 1-year, $1.095 million, with incentives that could max it out at $2.095 million.

Barksdale get a $350K signing bonus; $745K base salaries. The additional $1 million in incentives deal with playing time.

Rams offered more to Barksdale way back when, but not as high as the $4 million per year that I mentioned a few days ago.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO....This below article is very good, its hits on many of the things some of us have been saying since late 2014 season.o_O I solidly believe that Snead /Fisher /Demoff /Boudreau have made a very good decision in this UFA Barksdale matter.

http://www.rams-news.com/will-the-st-louis-rams-be-ok-without-joe-barksdale-grisak/

Yes, it would have been nice to bring Barksdale back, but he wasn’t a necessity. Barksdale was a solid part of the offensive line, starting 29 games over the past two seasons, and it is because of this that fans started to see Barksdale as a necessity when in fact he wasn’t.

Some went as far to say he was the number one priority for the Rams in the offseason. The truth is, Barksdale is an average to above average right tackle at best. While he did have a good 2013, last year and the year prior, he did consistently get beat by better competition.

This was most recently proven last season when he was completely dominated by Kansas City’s Justin Houston and Washington’s Ryan Kerrigan. The fact of the matter was, Barksdale is an average right tackle.

He has reached his ceiling, Havenstein on the other hand, we dont know what his ceiling will be, but we do know that he brings the physical play that Barksdale did not.

Many have blamed Davin Joseph and the inexperience at quarterback that gave Barksdale issues, but looking at the stats and performances, that is only partly true. Against the Chargers last year, Joseph ended up with a positive grade at 5.1, meanwhile Barksdale came out exactly even with a 0.0 grade.

Against the Raiders, a weaker competition, Joseph ended up with a -2.5 grade while Barksdale excelled against a team who had one of the worst defensive lines in football putting up an impressive 1.7 grade.

In possibly his worst three game stretch against the Cardinals, 49ers, and Chiefs, Barksdale managed a grade of -4 or worse in those three consecutive games. Meanwhile, Joseph accumulated a grade worse than -1 just once.

The stats are simply inconsistent and dont back up that Joseph was the reason for all of Barksdale’s struggles. Watching the film, while Joseph did cause some issues, Barksdale did get beat one on one on plays in which Joseph held his own plenty of times.

Going back to Barksdale’s good year in 2013, it wasn’t all that impressive as many make it out to be.

Last edited: