Joe Barksdale signs with Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This is why I prefer this place over most mediums of Rams discussion. Lot of us wanted Joe to return, but he didn't and there's been nothing but well wishes.

I haven't even gone onto STLtoday and all I've seen from other places are wishing he gets injured, calling him a bitch for not signing with us or just generally acting like jilted ex lovers. I don't know why so many Rams fans act like pissy little girls the minute the players leave.

Anyways, best wishes to Joe. May he have good luck in his future endeavors.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is why I prefer this place over most mediums of Rams discussion. Lot of us wanted Joe to return, but he didn't and there's been nothing but well wishes.

I haven't even gone onto STLtoday and all I've seen from other places are wishing he gets injured, calling him a bitch for not signing with us or just generally acting like jilted ex lovers. I don't know why so many Rams fans act like pissy little girls the minute the players leave.

Anyways, best wishes to Joe. May he have good luck in his future endeavors.
My stance has always been to wish ex-Rams well UNTIL they play the Rams... then, I hope they have their worst day as a professional in their lives!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In other news, Joe Barksdale is currently shopping for a new agent.

He had to be getting advice that he was going to get 5 year and money to start like $4 million plus a year. Prior to the draft he had options just not at that price. After the draft some of those options dried up and he was stuck with prove it deals from a couple contenders.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
It may be a little bit scary at first, but I like the idea of getting the young guys on the field together ASAP.
I want these guys to become a unit, and the sooner they start playing together, the better.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You mean the guy who never played an NFL snap compared to a 4 year experienced vet who is atleast by all accounts is a capable NFL caliber RT?

There isn't a rookie out there who has played an NFL snap yet 32 teams feel like they upgraded at some position or another.

Ram65

Legend
I think the Rams graded Joe B low this year or just plain Below Average! Last part of the year he didn't seem to hold up well.

Wish him the best and you never know because he is on a one year deal. I think Rams know what they are doing here. I thought they would resign him. Joe didn't get many offers or much money. Oh...... I had a blast in SD in the early 80's. They really loved Fouts and the Chargers back then.

ram007

Starter
There isn't a rookie out there who has played an NFL snap yet 32 teams feel like they upgraded at some position or another.

I like Havenstein's pick.

Joe Barksdale is worth $1M for Rams on a one year deal. He would have been a great swing tackle or guard if havenstein beats him out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I like Havenstein's pick.

Joe Barksdale is worth $1M for Rams on a one year deal. He would have been a great swing tackle or guard if havenstein beats him out.

I'm not sure he can play guard.

And again, you only get 53 spots. You are either cutting one of the rookies or you are cutting someone who does have positional flexibility.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SD is beautiful - and have they have a QB which means they have a chance - but at 350k he is going to be in a studio apartment out there unless he has been saving.

$350k is the signing bonus. Plus league minimum (for a 5th year vet, which is $745k) plus incentives up to a million.

So yes, he and his wife will get a lot more than a studio apartment.

Not the money he had hoped for, but not hurting. And next year I bet he signs quickly, rather than hoping there will be a better market after the draft.

ram007

Starter
I'm not sure he can play guard.

And again, you only get 53 spots. You are either cutting one of the rookies or you are cutting someone who does have positional flexibility.

Are you indicating Barksdale is worse than ALL the OL rookies they drafted for a 53 man roster spot?

RamBill

Legend
Chargers add right tackle Joe Barksdale to mix at offensive line
By Eric D. Williams
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12914109/san-diego-chargers-add-ex-st-louis-rams-rt-joe-barksdale

The San Diego Chargers on Tuesday continued to add depth up front at offensive line.

Joe Barksdale has agreed to terms with the San Diego Chargers on a one-year deal, a source told ESPN's Adam Caplan, confirming an earlier report by Yahoo! Sports.

The deal has not been confirmed by the team. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Barksdale, 27, started 29 games at right tackle for the St. Louis Rams over the past two seasons. However, St. Louis selected Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein in the second round of this year's draft, allowing the Rams to move on from Barksdale in free agency.

Barksdale visited the Atlanta Falcons, Tennessee Titans and Chargers.

The Chargers have mulled the possibility of moving right tackle D.J. Fluker inside to guard this offseason after an uneven performance in 2014. San Diego signed tackle Chris Hairston to serve as the team's swing tackle in April.

However, Fluker reportedly lost weight and is healthy, so it will be interesting to see whether he will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting right tackle job, or asked to move inside to right guard, replacing Johnnie Troutman as the team's starter there.

General manager Tom Telesco has repeatedly said that Fluker will remain at right tackle this offseason.

The Rams originally added Barksdale off waivers from the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 27, 2012. After serving in a backup role most of that season, Barksdale became more prominent for the Rams in 2013 when he started 13 games at right tackle.

Barksdale stayed at that spot last year, starting all 16 games at right tackle.

He entered the league as a third-round pick for Oakland in the 2011 NFL draft.

ESPN NFL Nation Rams reporter Nick Wagoner contributed to this report

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Are you indicating Barksdale is worse than ALL the OL rookies they drafted for a 53 man roster spot?

I'm indicating that I would rather have Havenstein, Brown, Donnal, and Wichman - each with their rookie deals - than have Joe under the contract he signed with San Diego, yes.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I believe Joe might have been personally mad that things went bad for him in being able to sign a longer contract and for more and knowing we did sign his eventual replacement could'nt make him want to jump for joy. I'm sure we had the exact or even a better (slightly) deal on the table for one year specifically.

I think Joe blinked first after maybe thinking waiting till a injury in camps would forced his signing with more money was his best option. I think Fisher was just being nice always saying we were still interested. I'm sure we offered the same deal. I agree with most here in biting the bullet and let the young guys fight it out and get them on the field as quick as we can. Not a fan on the Fisher waiting period for rookies. Reminds me of being a kid and being told I had to wait a half hour exactly before I could get back into the pool? Just glad its all over and lets move forward.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There seem to be a lot of assumptions that the Rams didn't offer him the same money or more. We really don't know and likely never will unless Joe himself speaks about it. Joe was a decent RT but far from being irreplaceable. I wish him the best in SD but I don't think there was much of a push after the draft to sign him. If we add another Vet I think it'll be somebody like Reynolds, a guy who can play both guard and tackle if needed off the bench.

bluecoconuts

Legend
SD is beautiful - and have they have a QB which means they have a chance - but at 350k he is going to be in a studio apartment out there unless he has been saving.

Jesus dude, how much do you think things cost in Southern California? A nice big, multi room apartment will be around 5K a month, he'll have no problem living in San Diego.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Jesus dude, how much do you think things cost in Southern California? A nice big, multi room apartment will be around 5K a month, he'll have no problem living in San Diego.

It was more tongue in cheek than anything - I like San Diego - a lot.

Of course he will have no problem living there quite comfortably.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wish him well. after all, he's no longer even in our Conference!