Joe Barksdale signs with Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Barksdale is visiting Chargers today via @nwagoner twitter feed

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Chargers hosting free agent OT Joe Barksdale
6508.jpg

The Chargers are hosting free agent OT Joe Barksdale on Monday.

Arguably the top young free agent left on the market, 27-year-old Barksdale is coming off a strong 2014 in St. Louis. He was one of the top pass-protecting right tackles in football last year. The addition of Barksdale could allow the Chargers to kick D.J. Fluker inside to right guard. Chris Watt is penciled in at center with LG Orlando Franklin and LT King Dunlap holding down the left side.
Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
May 18 - 4:04 PM

lockdnram21

Legend
6508.jpg

Arguably the top young free agent left on the market, 27-year-old Barksdale is coming off a strong 2014 in St. Louis. He was one of the top pass-protecting right tackles in football last year. The addition of Barksdale could allow the Chargers to kick D.J. Fluker inside to right guard. Chris Watt is penciled in at center with LG Orlando Franklin and LT King Dunlap holding down the left side.
That's got to be a typo. He was horrible in pass protection.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
6508.jpg

That would actually be a pretty decent line imo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm conflicted.

Part of me wants Joe back.

Part of me likes the idea of Havenstein driving people off the line in the running game.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm conflicted.

Part of me wants Joe back.

Part of me likes the idea of Havenstein driving people off the line in the running game.

The way I see it CGI it's one or the other. Which sucks. Cuz I don't think either would make good guards. Barks going to SD might be the nail in the coffiin on him coming back.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The way I see it CGI it's one or the other. Which sucks. Cuz I don't think either would make good guards. Barks going to SD might be the nail in the coffiin on him coming back.

Joe came and went in Tennessee. He might leave SD without a deal too.

RamBill

Legend
Report: Joe Barksdale visiting Chargers
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ort-joe-barksdale-visiting-san-diego-chargers

SAN FRANCISCO -- The curious case of offensive tackle Joe Barksdale added another interesting development Monday afternoon.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Barksdale is spending his day visiting the San Diego Chargers. Barksdale, of course, is the St. Louis Rams' erstwhile free-agent right tackle.

Once thought to be one of the more coveted free-agent tackles on the market, Barksdale has remained available until now in large part because of a miscalculation of his value on the open market. Rams coach Jeff Fisher indicated at March's owners meetings that Barksdale's price had probably kept him from being signed and has since said on multiple occasions that the Rams still have interest in bringing Barksdale back.

San Diego's interest stems from its flirtation with moving right tackle D.J. Fluker inside to guard. The Chargers haven't made any definitive choice on that, though, and Fluker is still making first-round money. The team signed Chris Hairston to be its swing tackle on April 20 but Barksdale would presumably be seen as a possible starter.

Over the past two seasons, Barksdale has started 29 games at right tackle for the Rams. But St. Louis picked Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein in the second-round of this year's draft and there's a good chance he'll plug in as the starter right away.

Although Fisher has publicly expressed interest in retaining Barksdale, it seems the chances of that happening have grown less and less likely. The Rams spent four draft picks on offensive linemen this year and signed swing tackle Garrett Reynolds as a free agent.

Barksdale's market hasn't been all that brisk, with various levels of interest from Tennessee and Atlanta in addition to San Diego and St. Louis.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Joe - no offense man, seem like a great guy - but just go.

Seriously - just go.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Reminds me of Bartell. He was the ONLY decent corner available in free agency, and therefore became the second coming of Darrell Green, so naturally we WAY overpaid him, and he really wasn't that good. Still pisses me off.
End of rant.

jjab360

Legend
That's got to be a typo. He was horrible in pass protection.
I really wouldn't say horrible, I've seen horrible and Barksdale's not it. It is tough for me to say he's above average though, I'd say he's right around average at pass pro.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
From what I've seen, (like his film of the Nebraska game, how he shut down Gregory), I already like Havenstein better against speed rushers. Maybe not against bull rushers, but overall, I like Havenstein better than Barksdale as a player and especially for what this O wants to do as a power running O.

So, other than Fisher wanting to start vets for a few games, I see no reason for Havenstein not to start from day one at RT.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One of the NFL's best in pass pro? I like Joe. He's a stand up guy and I don't think he played as bad as outfits like PFF had him but it was a rough year for him and the entire line when it came to pass pro. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in horns but I also wouldn't offer a big contract. My guess is that he doesn't leave SD without a contract.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good God can't believe Barksdale is getting so much play here we need to have Simon & Garfunkle revise their song to read: "Where have you gone Joe Barksdale?"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forget his agent, I'm thinking he's sitting at the kitchen table surfing the want ads and saying to his wife,
"And you said March was the best month to have our wedding".....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Forget his agent, I'm thinking he's sitting at the kitchen table surfing the want ads and saying to his wife,
"And you said March was the best month to have our wedding".....
Lol, then he hangs up and tells his client, "You want coverage for your boat too on this policy? "

RamBill

Legend
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin

OT Joe Barksdale has agreed to terms with the #Chargers, per a league source.