Joe Barksdale signs with Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Seems like it has been awhile since there has been any news or rumors about Joe Barksdale. I know the Rams drafted some interesting & promising offensive linemen in the recent Draft but I would still like to see the Rams bring back (Barksdale) or bring in (Blalock, etc) some veterans for their offensive line to help provide veteran leadership until some of these young linemen are ready.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I think he comes back. I'd certainly like to see it happen. If he doesn't win the starting RT job then he's more than solid depth.

I wonder if the Rams will honour whatever contract was put on the table now that so much time has passed and his position has weakened. I hope not.

RamBill

Legend
Report: Falcons still talking with Joe Barksdale
FOX Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/report-falcons-still-talking-with-joe-barksdale-051515

MAY 15, 2015 1:32a ET

Even after the Falcons signed veteran offensive tackle Tyler Polumbus, the team is apparently still open to building the line, according to Vaughn McClure of ESPN.

McClure quoted head coach Dan Quinn on the situation with Barksdale:

"He's still somebody that we're actively talking to," Quinn said to ESPN of Barksdale.

The connection of Barksdale to the Falcons isn't a new one, as he just recently worked out for the team, but many probably put this rumor to the side after Atlanta signed Polumbus. Quinn knows how important depth on the o-line can be though, as you can tell from this quote about the newly-signed Polumbus.

"I think No. 1 with Tyler, we like the length out at tackle," Quinn said. "He's proven where he's been a swing player before where he's played both right and left. We wanted to add more competition to the group, and that's certainly what Tyler does. Remember, we've had some experience with him, so we know the grit level and how hard he's willing to go. ... We had another chance to add a player to the team to add to the overall competitiveness of the group."

It's a situation to monitor, as Quinn hasn't shied away from attacking the positions that he feels may need added depth in his first season as a head coach.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I believe at this point I would tell his agent that "This is our last, best offer...Take it today or we move on and you can continue to think you can get a better offer, even though it hasn't happened this late into the process"...I know that this could be cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I'm tired of them chasing this guy...

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
I believe at this point I would tell his agent that "This is our last, best offer...Take it today or we move on and you can continue to think you can get a better offer, even though it hasn't happened this late into the process"...I know that this could be cutting off your nose to spite your face, but I'm tired of them chasing this guy...

I think you're probably right.

My concern is they do what they did with Saffold in terms of the contract offer but this situation is different in that we needed Saffold. We don't need Joe because we've drafted his replacement. It would be nice to have him back but the contract offer needs to reflect that altered position.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He may also be after a guaranteed starting position somewhere, thats not a given with the Rams anymore...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't confirm this is Joe, but I've heard he's lost a little weight during free agency.

595465810a2851373465b900831685l.jpg

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
I can't confirm this is Joe, but I've heard he's lost a little weight during free agency.

595465810a2851373465b900831685l.jpg

Well at least he's got no excuse for not getting to outside speed rushers anymore. What happens when he does get to them doesn't bear thinking about though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't even want the guy anymore personally. I like Joe. But he handled this situation horribly and now he's probably not starting for anybody this year. Should have taken the deal before the draft Joe. You screwed yourself.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know I'm a broken record here - but where does he fit on the 53 man?

Just take a look at our O Line

G Rob
Saffold
Havenstein
Brown

I think we should all be able to agree that these 4 players are going to make the 53 man roster - right? I include Donnal on the 'no way in H-E-Double Chopsticks he gets waived list' but I have seen roster guesses with him on the PS - so lets just cap it at 4 players on the 'no way' list.

We are going to need to have a center (and a backup center) so lets add 2 roster spots (and probably 3) for the best of

Jones
Rhaney
Barnes

Are we going to cut the versatile free agent that we signed?

Reynolds

Are we going to part with one of our rookie draft choices?

Donnal
Wichmann

Are we ready to give up on guys we have been developing?

Bond
Washington

Hard to know how many OL we will keep (10 is a lot) - and yes, its not entirely uncommon for a day 3 draft pick to get waived.

I know we don't want to be a day care out there on the O Line - but I'd rather go thru some growing pains and keep our best players than lose them to other teams so that we can marginally more prepared in week 1.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Barksdale is gone I just don't think he'll come back I could see him signing with Atlanta, it's a good match. Rams have already moved on with Havenstein, Donnal and Reynolds for better or worse IMHO.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@ChargersLegion: FA Joe Barksdale is visiting the Chargers today. ⚡⚡⚡ (Via @UTgehlken)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Get this over with. I'd much rather a Justin Blalock Update thread. Guard is where we could use the vet.

Yup. So every other position on the line has a vet or two next to them.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Meh. I don't care at this point. I'm fine with our line at this point and think Blalock would be a better addition

Limey

Rookie
Good. Get this over with. I'd much rather a Justin Blalock Update thread. Guard is where we could use the vet.
I know what you mean, but I also agree with 12 that I don't want to lose any of our young guys before they have chance to develop and we know what we have got. Given the above, I'm not sure there is room for Blalock, either. Unless they look like a total shambles all through camp, or someone gets hurt, I prefer to go with what they have. 12's 4 untouchables, 2 centres and the other 2 rookies are the 8 I hope they keep, plus the best of Reynolds, Bond, Washington, the UDFAs and the 3rd centre.