Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Fisher isn't coaching like a job who believe his job is on the line. If he were, he'd be starting Goff.

The real silly thing here is that it's a no win situation. If Fisher truly bungled this, and my opinion is he has, people will still claim he made the right decision if Goff comes in and lights it up after Keenum puts us in a hole.
(This is not just a response to J32, whose analysis I like a lot, but my view of where we're at.)

Agree that Fisher may not be coaching as if his job is on the line, at least not on a game by game basis (remember the Titans?!) He is being careful with Goff just as he consistently makes every effort to protect all his players. He has also consistently taken the long view of developing the team, and Kroenke has backed him in this approach. It's one of the things I admire about both of them.

I agree with you that Goff could likely start, and quite possibly put up more points than Keenum, but it still isn't clear to me that's the best approach even from a pure won/loss calculation. Goff really has a lot on his table this year. I think Fisher wants to make sure he doesn't get killed because he doesn't quite anticipate a blitz (happened several times in preseason due to blocking breakdowns, rough hits) and to shorten his season so he doesn't hit the wall later. Goff injured or shellshocked will not help the final w/l record.

There's also the team as a whole. I think Fisher really handles it on merit (or more properly the o/d/st coaches likely do.) The vets seem to like Keenum, they have to be ready to go with Goff, and Goff has to earn it. That's how you command loyalty and effort from the team. Goff has shown outstanding passing ability, we know he has the intangibles, he'll get there soon.

There's also a need for the offense to walk before it can run. The passing game was abysmal last year, everything was out of sync so badly it is still impossible to tell who was more at fault. Looks much better now, but we don't want to risk another meltdown. We need to start with just being able to execute, especially including the much despised short passing game which is key to third down conversions. (Looking at you, Mr. Spruce and Mr. Gurley, and anyone else who can actually catch the ball.) Also need to integrate whatever new concepts Groh has, as well as three rookie receivers, and get the o-line fully in sync. It seems to me that Keenum is well suited to do this to start with, while starting Goff with less command of the O runs a greater risk of holding others back. When the O is ready to move on, and is being held back by the qb, it will be clear as will Keenum's limitations.

Also, the D is going to kick ass. The biggest story will be the return of Quinn, Ogletree and Gaines. And we will be able to run the ball. Really run the ball.

This is old school and I'm ok with it. To hell with the media. The team is on the upswing. Let's be patient and let it develop.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure it is. To see him come in after being 100% ready and playing lights out? How is that not a win for the Rams and their fans? The thing you don't understand is that this pick wasn't for the next 16 weeks. It was for the next 16 years. If it takes Goff 2 or 3 or 5 weeks to get it all down, then that's a drop in the bucket over the next decade and a half.

That's a thing I understand quite well. Feel free to check my posting history on that one.

It's pretty clearly not a win for Rams fans because starting Keenum set us back this year when Goff was the better option.

But like I said, this is the exact response we'll get. "It was the right move to sit Goff. Look, he's playing well. Obviously, sitting him got him ready." That's not a reality I live in. Unfortunately, it will be the talking point if Goff comes in and plays well. My talking point? That he was ready from the beginning and Fisher hurt our team, yet again, by refusing to play the talented rookie.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
After dwelling deeply into it, I've accepted Goff not being ready yet. You can argue his poor performance from a lesser supporting cast but his opposition on defense also proven to get the best of him. I expect great things from him once the game slows down and there's little to no second guessing when reading defenses.

bluecoconuts

Legend
How could he have him ready?
Specifically.

Well there's a little bit of guesswork on my part, but they could simplify the playbook for him, design easy plays that don't require as much mentally.. I mean the talent is there, it's the mental aspect that is holding him back at this point. Which means he's either slower than guys like Vince Young, who probably can't even spell his name, or they're not doing him any favors.

I understand they can't do what the 49ers did with Crappydick and tell him that if his first read isn't there to just take off and run, but they could make it to the point he's comfortable and has the tools to succeed.

They're comfortable with Keenum though, and Keenum obviously has a firmer grasp on the offense, same with Mannion, they've been here, they get to digest it. Hell, Keenum is obviously still learning and his wife is helping him study, so it could be more complex than we think. So I get why they're doing what they're doing, they're comfortable with Keenum until Goff has a firm grasp on the offense.

But they could make it easier for him.. I don't throw my student's a quantum physics text book and expect them to be experts by the end of the semester (hell, I'm not an expert by any means), but I can break things up so it's easier for them. Then they build off that information as they progress.

So he could be ready if they wanted him to, ready as in able to start. As long as they're comfortable with Keenum they'll keep Goff on the sidelines.. I'm more worried about the practice snaps at this point, because if Keenum does struggle, and Goff isn't getting meaningful snaps it could hurt the team. Unless the plan is to truly go to Mannion next if Keenum does struggle, which I personally would see as a mistake.

Athos

Legend
Fisher said they probably switch week 2 and he be the back-up

Lmao.

So now it's musical chairs of the backup.

Lar for the course Fish. Par for the course.

Man, if I were never a Rams fan this would still be funny as shit and I'd think Fisher was insane

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Does anyone know of a list of 1st overall QBS that didn't start the season. Because RIGHT NOW it's looking like we should have stood pat, taken a receiver, safety, and Dak.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know of a list of 1st overall QBS that didn't start the season. Because RIGHT NOW it's looking like we should have stood pat, taken a receiver, safety, and Dak.

Since 2000:
JaMarcus Russell (hold out)
Alex Smith (Tim Rattay)
Eli Manning (Kurt Warner)
Carson Palmer (Jon Kitna)
Michael Vick (Chris Chandler)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

A receiver like who? Treadwell? Who also isn't starting?

Lets give the rookies some time, guys. Many, many guys who have or will be fitted for gold jackets weren't ready to start by game 1.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
At first I was like WTF, but really it's a good idea to ease him in and not just throw him ilto the wolves.

That's OK. Y'all can watch the best QB of this class play Sunday at 3:25 CT.

Screenshot_20160711-200346.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's pretty clearly not a win for Rams fans because starting Keenum set us back this year when Goff was the better option.
Except he's clearly not (right now).

Is what it is though. I'm not into debating this ad nauseum.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
A receiver like who? Treadwell? Who also isn't starting?

Lets give the rookies some time, guys. Many, many guys who have or will be fitted for gold jackets weren't ready to start by game 1.

I'd take Treadwell, Coleman, Boyd, Doctson...any of them. For as much as we gave up for Goff, he shouldn't be in street clothes.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd take Treadwell, Coleman, Boyd, Doctson...any of them. For as much as we gave up for Goff, he shouldn't be in street clothes.

If he is great is years 2-5 of his rookie deal, then will you really care if he is in his pajamas in year 1? Those are some great looking WRs you named and none of them are going to be as good this weekend as they are in a year either.

Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers .... if you could go back and draft one of those guys, would ya? Would you give up what we gave up to get one of em? So would I - and none of them started week 1.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One of those was taken 1st overall. All of them had more complete teams when they came in. We weren't in a position to trade up. We don't have receivers that cant catch. We don't have replacements for JJ or McLeod.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well there's a little bit of guesswork on my part, but they could simplify the playbook for him, design easy plays that don't require as much mentally.. I mean the talent is there, it's the mental aspect that is holding him back at this point. Which means he's either slower than guys like Vince Young, who probably can't even spell his name, or they're not doing him any favors.
Yeah, they could do that, but why would the coaches want to take away a large chunk of what they can do in the passing game just to accommodate one guy? I mean, that doesn't really seem smart - or fair to the other players who have been there longer and are ready to embrace the whole of the playbook.

I understand they can't do what the 49ers did with Crappydick and tell him that if his first read isn't there to just take off and run, but they could make it to the point he's comfortable and has the tools to succeed.
That's exactly what I was proposing had they drafted Wentz. I don't think that's a smart move with Goff though.

They're comfortable with Keenum though, and Keenum obviously has a firmer grasp on the offense, same with Mannion, they've been here, they get to digest it. Hell, Keenum is obviously still learning and his wife is helping him study, so it could be more complex than we think. So I get why they're doing what they're doing, they're comfortable with Keenum until Goff has a firm grasp on the offense.
Zactly.

But they could make it easier for him.. I don't throw my student's a quantum physics text book and expect them to be experts by the end of the semester (hell, I'm not an expert by any means), but I can break things up so it's easier for them. Then they build off that information as they progress.
I don't think they're going to wait on him to digest the whole playbook before we see him. I think they just want him to be able to recall all of the plays so that they can be comfortable with him having the specific plays for the following game memorized and repped. Aside from that, a couple more games of film and studying defenses would help him a lot. JMO.

So he could be ready if they wanted him to, ready as in able to start. As long as they're comfortable with Keenum they'll keep Goff on the sidelines.. I'm more worried about the practice snaps at this point, because if Keenum does struggle, and Goff isn't getting meaningful snaps it could hurt the team. Unless the plan is to truly go to Mannion next if Keenum does struggle, which I personally would see as a mistake.
Mannion earned his spot right now though. I know Goff is allegedly this second-coming, but he's also mortal and as green as The Hulk's balls. He hasn't looked great this preseason (which is fine, and closer to the norm than not), and the coaches are discovering that their plans to bring him along slowly are actually warranted. They didn't expect a no-huddle shotgun-exclusive QB to come in and immediately fit into their offense, And that's fine too. If they can get him more comfortable (see Fisher's comments about 'feeling'), we'll see him soon enough. None of this is on the coaches. None of it. They knew ahead of time what they were getting, they knew ahead of time how they were going to develop him, and so Goff's ability to get up to speed (on the coaches' timetable within the structure of the time they give him) is solely on Goff. Honestly, I'm glad they're making him earn it. I could give a shit where he was drafted. Still have to earn it.