Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Nothing like the local kid standing on the sidelines in street clothes.
I'll root my rear off for the Rams Monday night, but this is embarrassing.
And people think playing poorly would hurt Goff's confidence? I cant think of anything more de-motivating than the way he's been handled

Exactly how I feel about it.

lockdnram21

Legend
Good point, I'll have to look into it more then. I'm sure theres another player that could have been inactive instead in another position. But well noted.

I dont give a crap about the media, I'm worried about what all this negative attention does to our young QBs confidence.
Goff knows he's not ready... It should be motivation

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dont give a crap about the media, I'm worried about what all this negative attention does to our young QBs confidence.
I'm told he's unshakable, so this won't bother him any.
And I'm sure he understands. He seems very amenable to his coaches' plans for him.

…..

Legend
embrace the madness......the young lad did not come it and make the world his. we now have to live with it. Based on this current event....I doubt he's active until week 5

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Here is what other NFL fans think of this for those that are interested in reading what people who have no Idea what there talking about think from nfl.com story of Goff being inactive.

Jacob Smith
Goff will be the next ryan leaf. Mark my words! He is a spoiled rich kid that is going to be a bust!
Like · Reply · 21 mins

Joey Stevens
·
HST at Moffitt Cancer Center
Well, you might as well should pack your bags while you're at it jeff. Cause you're going bye bye
Like · Reply · 21 mins

Kevin Cardwell ·
Austin Peay State University
What a waste of future mortgage of draft picks. Cant even make the active roster.
Like · Reply · 22 mins

Glen Nguyen ·
Saint Petersburg, Florida
You shell out all that equity in a 1st overall pick and you don't feel like you need to rush him on to the field? Sounds like Fisher drafted him a bust. Winston and Mariota started day 1. How do you like that comparison? Fisher cares more about his job at this point and doesn't want to reveal his #1 bust.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 23 mins

Trevor Norton ·
Durham College
Titans and Bucs where not in a Position to win though. Rams D is good they can win with reliable QB play. Winston and Mariota looked good but its easier when you have no pressure. The rams have a new stadium and alot riding on this season they need the Kid to come in ready as can be no point in rushing him
Like · Reply · 5 mins

Corey Mingo
·
University of Central Missouri
LOL!!!!! Now, the entire country will see what the fans in St. Louis have been saying over Fisher's entire tenure. He sucks as a coach and the Rams will always be losers as long as he is the HC.... Think about this for a second, Jamies Winston, Marcus Mariotta, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, RGIII, Ryan Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Teddy Bridgewater, Andy Dalton,(well maybe not Wilson) but all were drafted in the 1st round, and started opening day, now you trade up to get this guy and he isn't even ready to be the backup QB on opening day, AMAZING!!!! Either he sucks or the coaching sucks,...See More
· Reply ·
like.png
1 · 25 mins

Kevin Cardwell ·
Austin Peay State University
As the great Archer would say: Little column A, little column B
Like · Reply · 21 mins

Ben Lujan

Hillary = Corruption.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
3 · 28 mins

Jacob Smith
You deserve a cookie
Like · Reply · 22 mins

Chris Manster

Politics= political forum
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 11 mins

Matt Carberry ·
Calgary, Alberta
Politics = corruption

Two party system = dumbed down masses who are too self involved in petty adversarial bullsh*t to recognize that they need to understand and work with each other in order to progress as a society

Enjoy fighting for your freedumb though.
Like · Reply · 8 mins

Tommy Lair
A 1st overall draft pick benched behind 2 career backups and a punter. I've been a Rams fan for 30 years and a fan of Jeff Fisher since his Titans days. The Rams need a new coach and front office more a new stadium. How many top 5 or top 10 picks has this crew completely blew it on now???
Like · Reply · 30 mins

Paul Fortune

Fisher doesn't need to gamble. He wants to make sure he goes 7-9 again so he can get an extension.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 26 mins

Jordan DeRoulet
Just watch "Hard Knocks" and see what a DUNCE this kid is...
Like he never bothered to learn ANY of the playbook before training camp.
Goff is already a BUST.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 33 mins

Matt Carberry ·
Calgary, Alberta
I even said that before the draft, watching him on the white boards drawing up plays and breaking down coverages. He was glazed over with a blank stare half the time. Seemed like he was just trying to memorize words and regurgitate them, but clearly had no clue what half of it actually meant.

Whereas Wentz was a step ahead, playing off the concepts coaches were asking him to diagnose before they even finished explaining it. He not only had the answers but could elaborate clearly on how and why.

Goff has a lot of work to do, but #1 overall picks usually aren't given 2 years to sit and slowly learn which seems to be exactly what he needs at this point.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 16 mins

Chad Christianson ·
Youth & Family Director at Lutheran Church of the Cross
While I personally think that long term Wentz will be the better QB, I think it is stupid to throw either Goff or Wentz to the wolves with a below sub par offensive line. If the Vikings wouldn't have been so desperate Wentz would probably be inactive also.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 34 mins

Juan Carlos Flagg
·
California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly)
Remember when you trolled the Redskins? Ah, some of us hope this is Karma coming by peaking her head in to say hello.
Like · Reply · 38 mins

Ian Wells ·
Moncton, New Brunswick
Not even active, wow
Like · Reply · 38 mins

Phong Ta
·
Works at The Possible Project
I didn't really think Goff would do that well to start anyway. Yes, Gurley is in the backfield but beyond that the Rams' offense is a complete train wreck

The O-Line is mediocre at best, there's not a single proven receiver be it at WR or TE, and even if you consider Tavon Austin to be a good player and worthy of the contract extension he was given(he isn't), his skill-set is as an in-space gadget player in the mold of Percy Harvin. Those kinds of players are notoriously difficult to manufacture touches for, which is bad for Goff

That offense has nothing going for it beyong Gurley, of course Goff didn't do well
Like · Reply · 39 mins

Jovany B Ayon
·
Indio High School
Take tavon out that offense and gurley will die with nothing but stacked up boxes waiting for him. since the passing game is a joke. Gurley and Tavon were the only ones making plays last season.
Like · Reply · 16 mins

Chris Manster

I'm with you. Tavon isn't that great of a player and didn't really deserve that contract. However, he had that team over a barrel since it really didn't have any other weapons besides Gurley. Trajic, lol
Like · Reply · 6 mins

Bob Dodger
Goff is far from ready. He won't be until next year. Unless they want to get him killed. Was ignorant to give away picks to get the #1 Pick. Then use it on the top QB of a weak QB draft class. Not sure he was even the best in the draft. Fisher isn't holding him back. He just has so much to learn. It's a different world when you're playing under Center and not in shotgun all the time. Should have fired Fisher after last season. He may not be holding him back, but he and his offense aren't going to helo him either.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 41 mins

Chris Manster

Did you see any of the HBO series with the Rams in it this year?

There was part of it that I thought was hysterical.

Fisher was talking to one of his assistant coaches and saying about Goff, this guy has never huddled before, not in college and not in high school either. Somebody, I think it might have been Goff or Fisher, can't remember correctly, sorry, but he was talking about how Goff wasn't used to to the complex playcall nuances of the NFL.

I could noticeably see that Goff was just out of his realm. He seemed to have zero understanding about how to make playcalls and do the basic tas...See More
· Reply · 19 mins

Jovany B Ayon
·
Indio High School
Chris Manster The thing is Fish and company knew all that before they drafted him. it all ends up in Fish hands. and word is they just made goff a healthy scratch for week 1. not a good sign for a #1 overall pick. I wanted them to stay put and draft will fuller or an outside linebacker, ohh well.
Like · Reply · 12 mins · Edited

Chris Manster

Jovany B Ayon I feel sorry for Rams fans. That front office and Head Coach, maybe even the entire coaching staff need to be fired. I think I could do a better job evaluating personnel. There's not many teams I would say that about, not even Cleveland, Philly, or SF.
Like · Reply · 3 mins

Thomas Ripley

As usual, uninformed postings. Goff was drafted to sell tickets. The Rams bosses did not want to chance that the LA fans would not be interested. But, Fisher must have a winning season in order to get a new contrqact (Snead, too) So, Case Keenum is the real Golden Boy, the one who will lead the Rams to the playoffs. Yes, Case, the NCAAF record holder in Yards, TD's and one more, is really that good. Just Shut Up and watch.
Like · Reply · 49 mins

Chris Manster

If so, the Rams made a terrible move by drafting Goff. They should have drafted Treadwell and got themselves a true #1 possession receiver, a chain mover that can keep the defense from getting winded.
Why is it that the league lets many of those future all-star wideouts go to the Vikings.
Purple Power! Sigh.....

LOL :)
Like · Reply · 16 mins

Brenton Maisel
Is it Goff who isn't developing well or is it Fisher who's impeding his development?
Like · Reply · 52 mins · Edited

James Cherry
·
Account Manager at Barclaycard US
Still made no sense to draft goff over Wentz
Like · Reply ·
like.png
2 · 58 mins

Jovany B Ayon
·
Indio High School
Coming from a pro-style offense in college, wentz was perfect for their system.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
2 · 39 mins

Thomas Wayne ·
Mississauga, Ontario
Why, because Wentz is starting? There was no number #1 consensus at QB this year. Both Goff and Wentz were not that good to be drafted when they did. You think PHI is sitting there celebrating that they got Wentz? They were going to pick whoever the Rams didn't and only moved up so high so they ensured themselves that they were getting one of the two.

You have people that still think Goff may turn out to be the better player and others that say Wentz will be. So you can't say one team should have or shouldn't have picked one over other. Wentz wasn't even going to start and wouldn't be starting if Bridgewater didn't blow out his knee.
Like · Reply · 38 mins

James Cherry
·
Account Manager at Barclaycard US
Jovany B Ayon and a bigger bodied qb with some mobility, fisher does well as a coach when he has a mobile qb, he has no clue what do with a traditional qb
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 37 mins
Show 7 more replies in this thread

Rich Siewert
·
Mount Royal University
So much for the whole Goff us ready for the pros and Wentz will need a few seasons of watching and learning!
Like · Reply · 59 mins

Jesse VanLuven
·
Aloha, Oregon
These teams sure are putting a lot of faith in their rookies. Looks like 'Hard Knocks' season isn't going to end as scheduled.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Stephen Bak
·
Northern Secondary School
I see Goff a potential bust.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 1 hr

Michael Haworth
·
West Valley High School, Spokane, WA
Based on what..the fact that he isn't starting day one? He may bust, he may not....I don't think he's a bust myself but as a Hawks fan...I hope he does.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Stefano Barca ·
Mail Carrier at Canada Post
Michael Haworth guy never called a play from huddle in college!
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 30 mins

Tommy Lair
Michael Haworth Never mind not starting. He is the 1st overall draft pick who could not even win a backup job with one of the worst offences in the game.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 25 mins

Brock Staton ·
John Jay High School
If LA really wants their team to be good, they will fire Jeff Fisher. He was mediocre in Tennessee and clearly isn't any better now. His only SB appearance was cause of Air McNair.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
2 · 1 hr

Rex Irmen

Lol sunrise east or west? How can anyone be this stupid?
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 57 mins

Brock Staton ·
John Jay High School
Rex Irmen What? It rises in the East. Not sure what you're implying.
Like · Reply · 52 mins

Tamboura Hines
Brock Staton Goff didn't know the answer to that question. Have you seen hard knocks?
Like · Reply ·
like.png
2 · 46 mins
Show 3 more replies in this thread

Thomas Wayne ·
Mississauga, Ontario
I don't really care what they do with Jared Goff as long as he's ready when City of Champions Stadium is opened in 2019. Feed him to the wolves or baby him through the transition to the NFL but when the 2019 season arrives, it better be show time.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 1 hr

Bob Dodger
Nice, love to see fans that say I don't care until 2019. If that's all you have to say, don't. I do care. I care that Snead and Fisher make an ignorant trade for the #1 pick just so they can get a QB that is far from NFL Ready. Next year is a much better QB class coming out.
Like · Reply ·
like.png
1 · 37 mins

Thomas Wayne ·
Mississauga, Ontario
Bob Dodger I didn't mean it in a negative way. Clearly Goff has a lot to learn so the Rams should do what they need to do to get Goff ready because when 2019 comes, there should be no excuse. Of course you're going to try and win games now and they can with that defense and Gurley but you banked your future (draft picks) on Goff so if you don't think he's ready now do what you gotta do. Everything the Rams have done up to this point was for the big re-introduction of the Rams in L.A. with the new stadium in 2019. If you can't get up to speed by then, well everything was for nothing.
Like · Reply · 31 mins · Edited

Dalton Ibanez
·
Works at All Western Mortgage
all i have to say (and have been and will keep saying).... "WTF are you doing Jeff Fisher?"
Like · Reply ·
like.png
2 · 1 hr

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Good comments overall in this thread. I am of the "come to peace" mindset. Still a little upset Goff won't be ready to start. I think this move breeds stability.

Meanwhile, in Whiner country, they are in total disarray with Chip, dip and the old man bully. Yet the talk on the radio is that they think they can beat the Rams Monday night. It certainly is possible, but I reeeeeally hope we kick their as7.

lockdnram21

Legend
Nothing like the local kid standing on the sidelines in street clothes.
I'll root my rear off for the Rams Monday night, but this is embarrassing.
And people think playing poorly would hurt Goff's confidence? I cant think of anything more de-motivating than the way he's been handled
If he's not ready, He's not ready

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a Goff fan, this will make watching the game a little less exciting. That's all. Is he gonna start at all this year? That's the question.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Who wants to bet the opening shot on MNF is Goff standing on the sidelines in street clothes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
embrace the madness......the young lad did not come it and make the world his. we now have to live with it. Based on this current event....I doubt he's active until week 5
Steve Wyche was on the radio (and he spoke to Fisher) saying that the 2-3 spot behind Keenum could change as early as next week. It's all up to Goff now to get the terminology down and establish a higher level of comfort with what he's doing. Exactly what the coaches have been saying since day one, so this isn't much of a surprise.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Question: When was the last time you saw a Team Dress 3 QB's for a Regular Season game!?
Answer: Never have seen it!
No Big deal. get a grip everyone! Goff is 3rd string right now. And who knows what can happen by the "Bye Week"!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Somewhere @jrry32 head just exploded.....

In all seriousness, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone who listened to Fishers comments this week. Goff will be active and starting soon enough....

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

Doesn't move the needle for me. Fisher's move is just as stupid whether he's inactive or sitting there in pads and watching the game.

Unfortunately, you all will likely come to see that in due time. And it's not a realization that I'll enjoy seeing everybody have.

lockdnram21

Legend
Fisher said they probably switch week 2 and he be the back-up

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Goff knows he's not ready... It should be motivation
I'm told he's unshakable, so this won't bother him any.
And I'm sure he understands. He seems very amenable to his coaches' plans for him.

Yea I read the same, I feel you guys. It's just one negative thing after another and its hard to think it doesn't faze him at all. But I hope thats the case!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doesn't move the needle for me. Fisher's move is just as stupid whether he's inactive or sitting there in pads and watching the game.

Unfortunately, you all will likely come to see that in due time. And it's not a realization that I'll enjoy seeing everybody have.
I'm just glad you don't have to see him get wrecked out there due to the uncertainty in what he's doing.

lockdnram21

Legend

How is it stupid? Fishers job is on the line and he feels Keenum gives him best chance right now. Goff is no where near ready

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
We live in an instant gratification society.It used to be that a rookie quarterback (1970s/1980s)would be a clipboard holder for their first few seasons,QBs needed 3 -5 years to develop.

rookie contract is up after 5 years

WvuIN02

Starter
If he's not ready, He's not ready
Nobody is "ready" coming out of college.

Peyton Manning STILL holds the rookie interception record at 28, and that was WITH Marshall Faulk and managing only 3-13. Practicing vs guys who pull up and play vanilla in preseason is never going to prepare you for someone game planning ways for JJ Watt to tear your head off

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it stupid? Fishers job is on the line and he feels Keenum gives him best chance right now. Goff is no where near ready

Fisher isn't coaching like a job who believe his job is on the line. If he were, he'd be starting Goff.

I'm just glad you don't have to see him get wrecked out there due to the uncertainty in what he's doing.

The real silly thing here is that it's a no win situation. If Fisher truly bungled this, and my opinion is he has, people will still claim he made the right decision if Goff comes in and lights it up after Keenum puts us in a hole.