Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ed-goff-to-be-inactive-for-rams-season-opener

When the Rams open their season against the 49ers on Monday Night Football, No. 1 overall pickJared Goff will be in street clothes and a punter will be the team's emergency third-string backup.

That's the latest from NFL Network's Steve Wyche, who spoke with Rams coach Jeff Fisher on Tuesday. Fisher told Wyche that Sean Mannion will be the team's backup and punter Johnny Hekkerwill be the emergency backup. Teams almost never make three quarterbacks active due to special teams availability, which is the main reason why Goff is sitting.

Fisher added that Goff and Mannion could potentially switch for the home opener against Seattle the following week. He also called Carson Wentz's situation in Philadelphia completely different from that of Goff. The Eagles felt good enough about the No. 2 overall pick to trade their starter and elevate Wentz into a Week 1 starting role. Fisher, according to Wyche, said that "Goff will one day be the starter but not until he is ready."

"Jared's had a great camp, so has Sean. Case is clearly our starter. I think Week 1 just to settle things down ... it's probably going to be, like I mentioned last week, it's probably going to be three and inactive," Fisher said. "That's just how it goes. And then next week we'll flip them. I just want him to feel and sense and absorb the pressures of Week 1. He's going to be a great player. As we've said from Day One, we're not rushing him. We don't have to rush it. I'm really happy with where he is right now. It's unfair to compare him to anybody else. I know Philly has got their situation, it's a little different and trading Sam so Carson is going to start, but you know Jared is in a good place right now. He's done some really good things, so I'm really pleased with his progress."

This move can be interpreted 1,000 different ways. On one hand, if a team is going to invest the amount of equity that the Rams have placed in Goff, wouldn't they expect Goff to lead the team on opening night?

The Rams have also been steadfast in their comments about Keenum, who is a free agent after this year. General manager Les Snead and Fisher both indicated that there was a real chance Keenum would be the starting quarterback to open the season. A ho-hum preseason for Goff -- 22-of-49 passing (44.9 completion percentage), two touchdowns and two interceptions -- likely didn't help his chances of ascending the depth chart so early. It's also important to remember that some old-school coaches simply prefer to make their top picks earn the privilege. Eli Manning, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 draft, did not start a game for the Giants until Nov. 21, 2004. Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall pick the following season, did not start a game until October.

The Rams feel like they have a winning team, which is the only reason why they wouldn't prefer Goff get his lumps and learn from his mistakes. If he continues to be inactive on game day, though, more questions will be raised. In the meantime, Fisher says he'll continue to get substantial practice reps.

"We're probably no different than anybody else," he said. "I'm going to have both Sean and Jared work against the defense. I hold the card, and when I hold the card, I want them to put it in our terminology. So I show them the card real quick, they call the play and they go. So they learn. The reps are valuable. They're hard to get, but he's going to get them. It's just a matter of him -- I think the reps are one thing, and we'll get him reps -- but it's just a matter of him feeling everything. You just kind of feel it. So we're in a good place. Regardless of what everybody else is saying out there, he's our quarterback, he's going to be our franchise player, it's just not right now."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh shit.

giphy.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Somewhere @jrry32 head just exploded.....

In all seriousness, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone who listened to Fishers comments this week. Goff will be active and starting soon enough....

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Leave it to the media to continue the Goff bashing.

Faulk even mentioned favoring this scenario during our last game, that Mannion should be the guy off the bench and Goff should have a weeks practice to prepare for an upcoming game should Keenum go down. I happen to agree with Faulk on this.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
It doesn't mean that much in the long run, and I think we're all smart enough/invested enough as fans to realize that.

The worst thing this does is give fuel to people who want to hate on our team, people who want to make us feel miserable for supporting them. I'm not sure why there are so many Rams haters, and they seem to be more prominent than ever, but they sure are getting insufferable. So that's the only real damage that's been done: we have to deal with more shit-talkers for a while.

We'll serve it back to them soon enough.

WvuIN02

Starter
The media shartstorm is going to go into category 5 if Wentz blows up in week 1 vs the Browns while Goff is sitting inactive.

HellRam

Starter
As someone who was advocating Goff to start week 1. I have made my peace with Keenum starting the season. I also do believe Keenum gives us the best chance to win week 1 on Monday night.

That said I still would like Goff to start atleast half the season this year(minimal). Goff need's that experience going into next season. IMO the Rams can be legit contenders next year, but only if Goff is going into a year where he has some ample playing experience. Sitting Goff now helps the Rams short term but if they sit him too long it could effect the following years.

Go Rams!

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
We live in an instant gratification society.It used to be that a rookie quarterback (1970s/1980s)would be a clipboard holder for their first few seasons,QBs needed 3 -5 years to develop.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I doubt it will create many waves here as those of us that were looking forward to a QB change to start the season are well beyond the 5 stages of grief at this point.

Athos

Legend
:mrburnsevil::mrburnsevil::mrburnsevil::mrburnsevil:

batman-cluster.jpg

I bet you could create a sit-com about Fisher's Russian Roulette of Failed QB exerpiments.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I bet you could create a sit-com about Fisher's Russian Roulette of Failed QB exerpiments.
Little early for that kind of proclamation, don't you think?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We live in an instant gratification society.It used to be that a rookie quarterback (1970s/1980s)would be a clipboard holder for their first few seasons,QBs needed 3 -5 years to develop.

Two important changes. That was before free agency - it's important for draft picks to contribute on their first contract, before they get expensive and before they possibly go elsewhere.

And that was before the current CBA - it used to be the case that the starting QB could get plenty of practice reps to prepare for that week's game, and there was still time for the developmental guy to get plenty of reps in practice to learn, and even time for the third stringer to get a number of reps. Now there aren't enough reps to go around. So the way for QBs to learn is to actually play.

HellRam

Starter
Two important changes. That was before free agency - it's important for draft picks to contribute on their first contract, before they get expensive and before they possibly go elsewhere.

And that was before the current CBA - it used to be the case that the starting QB could get plenty of practice reps to prepare for that week's game, and there was still time for the developmental guy to get plenty of reps in practice to learn, and even time for the third stringer to get a number of reps. Now there aren't enough reps to go around. So the way for QBs to learn is to actually play.

Valid points. That's a good take I haven't heard mentioned much.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I get Fisher wants to start Keenum, got it. But why put Goff inactive, just fueling the media fire and more pressure on Goff.

Its bad enough Goff rarely played with the 1s in preseason, got bashed by the media week after week when no one could catch the fucking ball, and now this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing like the local kid standing on the sidelines in street clothes.
I'll root my rear off for the Rams Monday night, but this is embarrassing.
And people think playing poorly would hurt Goff's confidence? I cant think of anything more de-motivating than the way he's been handled

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I get Fisher wants to start Keenum, got it. But why put Goff inactive, just fueling the media fire and more pressure on Goff.
Because Mannion is further along in terms of understanding what to do and teams rarely carry 3 QBs due to special teams needs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Its bad enough Goff rarely played with the 1s in preseason, got bashed by the media week after week when no one could catch the freaking ball, and now this.

I don't think Jeff Fisher cares what the media thinks, and neither should you.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Because Mannion is further along in terms of understanding what to do and teams rarely carry 3 QBs due to special teams needs.

Good point, I'll have to look into it more then. I'm sure theres another player that could have been inactive instead in another position. But well noted.

I don't think Jeff Fisher cares what the media thinks, and neither should you.

I dont give a shit about the media, I'm worried about what all this negative attention does to our young QBs confidence.