Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The real silly thing here is that it's a no win situation. If Fisher truly bungled this, and my opinion is he has, people will still claim he made the right decision if Goff comes in and lights it up after Keenum puts us in a hole.
Actually, that would be a win/win for the Rams and their fans.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Credit to Keenum. He's a true professional and deserves to start while Goff gets comfortable.

The sky is not falling......yet.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think lockdn nailed it.

Goff's got his motivation, now. Big Time!

Let's hope he uses it constructively.

Move a cot into the film room.
Pick Keenum's brain mercilessly.
Eat all 3 of his meals with Weinke or Boras.
Throw after practices.
Use play calling flash cards.
Turn his cell phone off except for communication with players or coaches. NO social media until further notice.
Mental drills.
Physical drills.

And utilize any other goddamned idea that he can think of to get better as fast as he can.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Honestly, I've come to peace with this. As soon as Goff can take a snap under center 100/100 times, and know the playbook perfectly, he will start. You really want a rookie to start on Monday night vs a division rival? I'm sticking to thinking he starts vs Seattle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In no way is that a win/win for Rams fans.
Sure it is. To see him come in after being 100% ready and playing lights out? How is that not a win for the Rams and their fans? The thing you don't understand is that this pick wasn't for the next 16 weeks. It was for the next 16 years. If it takes Goff 2 or 3 or 5 weeks to get it all down, then that's a drop in the bucket over the next decade and a half.

WvuIN02

Starter
This situation to a lesser degree is a lot like the Steelers one when Big Ben played his rookie year behind a dominant defense and running game. Not as well rounded of a team (no Plaxico or Hines Ward), but one that could also conceivably win a lot of games while also getting reps for your rookie QB. I think this boils down to JF trying to keep his job by making the playoffs which he sees as a scenario under Keenum and not Goff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I get it, but I don't really like it. I don't think Fisher is doing Goff anyone favors in terms of his development. He's basically throwing him in the deep end and asking why he can't swim yet. If he wanted Goff to play he could have him ready, but he doesn't. Keenum is fine, but we need to do a better job with Goff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just curious but why is Seattle at home a better situation than San Fran on the road? The 49ers defense was horrible last year. And Seattle? Yeah, there they were in the top 3 of defensive points allowed. The idea that he needs to be in street clothes week 1, but will be ready by week 2 is even more insulting

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm just curious but why is Seattle at home a better situation than San Fran on the road? The 49ers defense was horrible last year. And Seattle? Yeah, there they were in the top 3 of defensive points allowed. The idea that he needs to be in street clothes week 1, but will be ready by week 2 is even more insulting
Same reason that Todd Gurley didn't start until week 4 vs Arizona. Or Aaron Donald didn't start until week 3. Or Tre Mason didn't start until week 5. Or Greg Robinson didn't start until week 5.

The list goes on. Fisher doesn't play rookies right away. And each year our first round pick has looked pretty dominant once they finally came in and started after learning the playbook and adapting to the speed of the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend
Fisher knows defense.

Fisher don't know offense or QB.

But who cares, eventually Goff will get his shot and Fisher will soon be out the door. I would rather have Goff with less time with Fisher, and the mess Fisher makes with an offense.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This is a tough situation, but I will continue to say Goff coming from an offensive system that compares to Kelly's in Philly/SF is causing much of the problem. He's having difficulties with those details/facets of being an NFL QB. Talent aside, it's going to take time for him to understand, let alone master what it takes to be a top level QB. I want to see him play as much as anyone, but I cannot see them forcing him into a situation where he fails. It's a very long season and anything can happen between now and February. He will continue competing on the practice field, in the meeting room, etc., etc. I believe he has the talent to be a great one, but not at the expense of having him start before he's ready.

lockdnram21

Legend
Same reason that Todd Gurley didn't start until week 4 vs Arizona. Or Aaron Donald didn't start until week 3. Or Tre Mason didn't start until week 5. Or Greg Robinson didn't start until week 5.

The list goes on. Fisher doesn't play rookies right away. And each year our first round pick has looked pretty dominant once they finally came in and started after learning the playbook and adapting to the speed of the NFL.
This^^^^^

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

I'd actually reckon it may have to do with noise? If he still has issues calling plays, it may be easier to cut his teeth in a quieter environment. Just a guess.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/los-angeles-rams/0ap3000000695834/Jeff-Fisher-explains-why-Goff-starts-the-season-as-No-3-QB

I'm not going going to fret about Goff anymore... It's okay
tumblr_n0p62koN1h1r08o57o2_500.gif

Last edited: