Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The facts as of now are that Goff is the 3rd QB according to Fisher.

Their goal is to win football games. To do that you focus on preparing the starting QB and to a much lessor extent you prepare your number 2 QB in case your number one goes down. If you do not you are handicapping your team. The defense and other veterans would not like this.

Teams usually have a scout defensive team and a scout offensive team. You only have 10 practice squad players, so 12 of the 53 man roster will be on one of the scout teams helping the guys who will play get ready. Goff will get more meaningful reps running the Seahawks, Cardinals and Bucs scout team reps.

This situation is on Goff. You did not beat out Mannion week one. Now it is not about making you better, its about making the teams top 2 Qbs better so we can go 2-2 the first 4 games.
"Jared's had a great camp, so has Sean. Case is clearly our starter. I think Week 1 just to settle things down ... it's probably going to be, like I mentioned last week, it's probably going to be three and inactive," Fisher said. "That's just how it goes. And then next week we'll flip them.

The bold and italics are mine to emphasis Fishers comment. My thought is that Fisher's plan is to move him to the #2 QB spot next week and start him in week 3 on the road in Tampa Bay. I got busted for saying that reps on the scout team agains the number 1 defense See quote below and then look at the responses.

"We're probably no different than anybody else," he said. "I'm going to have both Sean and Jared work against the defense. I hold the card, and when I hold the card, I want them to put it in our terminology. So I show them the card real quick, they call the play and they go. So they learn. The reps are valuable. They're hard to get, but he's going to get them. It's just a matter of him -- I think the reps are one thing, and we'll get him reps -- but it's just a matter of him feeling everything. You just kind of feel it. So we're in a good place. Regardless of what everybody else is saying out there, he's our quarterback, he's going to be our franchise player, it's just not right now."

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
But why put Goff inactive
A cynical reason might be to remove any possible QB controversy in front of the MNF lights in case things go bad with Keenum. Nobody can ask "why didn't you put him in?" if he's in street clothes, the worst question will be "why was he inactive?" and the safe answer is already in place -- "he obviously wasn't ready, he was so far from it he was inactive".

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
How could he have him ready?
Specifically.
If he's not ready because of the whole "he can't call the play in the huddle", here you go:
martin-football-3-compartment-wrist-coach.jpg

I'll chip in the five bucks.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
My thought is that Fisher's plan is to move him to the #2 QB spot next week and start him in week 3 on the road in Tampa Bay.

That would be more than acceptable if it turns out that way.. (y)

I'm running with that prediction Orchid & hoping you're correct
tumblr_mm3ep7mmyX1qe2thio1_500.gif

…..

Legend
Steve Wyche was on the radio (and he spoke to Fisher) saying that the 2-3 spot behind Keenum could change as early as next week. It's all up to Goff now to get the terminology down and establish a higher level of comfort with what he's doing. Exactly what the coaches have been saying since day one, so this isn't much of a surprise.

I'm pretty neutral on this topic, choosing to believe that Goff is Goffy enough to not be superman and he'll ascend to the top like a normal human quarterback.

My issue with this is....reps. The starters need to get ready, reps are limited. What can take place for the third string QB in just a few practices that will have him suddenly improved? I don't buy much of a difference between weeks 1 and 2

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I feel the need to go Ben Affleck:
pardon the profanity:

We have had SHIT for depth at Quarterback the last few years and it has bit us in the ass.

I don't give a fuck which of our QBs starts. I want the best one out there. Period.

If the best one goes down....the next man is up. Period.
QB, of all positions, is one in which you cannot have too much depth.

WE WILL RALLY AROUND CASE KEENUM AND PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL.
IF HE GOES DOWN, I BELIEVE IN 2ND YEAR PRO SEAN MANNION.

WHAT A GOOD FUCKING PROBLEM WE HAVE IF WE WIN.
Again: FUCK WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE THINKS.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over.
Well, the Rams are not going into 2016 with shit for QB depth.
Let's let this play out.

Case Keenum has never had a full training camp as the #1. Let's see what he's made of.
Fuck all this crybaby bullshit.
I'm ready for some goddamn mother fucking football..

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
My thought is that Fisher's plan is to move him to the #2 QB spot next week and start him in week 3 on the road in Tampa Bay
I would be surprised. I think it was @Dog who picked week 5, I think that's a more reasonable earliest possible expectation at this point -- it's a home game, but not the home opener, against a decent team but not a division rival.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Works for me. What difference does it make if he is wearing his uniform on the sideline?

Patience.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm pretty neutral on this topic, choosing to believe that Goff is Goffy enough to not be superman and he'll ascend to the top like a normal human quarterback.

My issue with this is....reps. The starters need to get ready, reps are limited. What can take place for the third string QB in just a few practices that will have him suddenly improved? I don't buy much of a difference between weeks 1 and 2
I really believe it's more mental than anything right now. He simply doesn't know most of what he needs to know. Hence the flashcards comment by Fisher. Once he gets the vernacular down, and knows where to go with the ball, he'll climb up the depth chart. Just a process.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Steve Wyche was on the radio (and he spoke to Fisher) saying that the 2-3 spot behind Keenum could change as early as next week. It's all up to Goff now to get the terminology down and establish a higher level of comfort with what he's doing. Exactly what the coaches have been saying since day one, so this isn't much of a surprise.

It's not at all but man are people are going to run with it.........LOL yay.

…..

Legend
I really believe it's more mental than anything right now. He simply doesn't know most of what he needs to know. Hence the flashcards comment by Fisher. Once he gets the vernacular down, and knows where to go with the ball, he'll climb up the depth chart. Just a process.

So then....he needs to hang out with Keenum's wife?

seriously though....I agree. Maybe now he can calm down and let it sink in.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is just not a big deal. I think most Rams fans knew that he may sit awhile. And I get the frustration of wanting to see results quickly because we've been losing for sometime now but he's obviously not quite ready. Sure, you could throw him in the fire now and he might do alright but odds are he would fall flat on his face, ramping up the "bust brigade" to deafening levels. Keenum is the best option on the road in prime time against a divisional rival. Fisher is being cautious and smart. Elevating Goff to backup the very next week at home will defuse the media a bit and is a very smart strategy. The sky is not falling yet!!!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Same reason that Todd Gurley didn't start until week 4 vs Arizona. Or Aaron Donald didn't start until week 3. Or Tre Mason didn't start until week 5. Or Greg Robinson didn't start until week 5.

The list goes on. Fisher doesn't play rookies right away. And each year our first round pick has looked pretty dominant once they finally came in and started after learning the playbook and adapting to the speed of the NFL.

I could be mistaken, but didn't Olgetree, Jenkins, Brockers, & McDonald start immediately?

Anyway, Gurley was coming off a serious knee injury. Donald was a luxury selection playing behind a pretty good combo in Brockers and Langford (who was coming off his best year). And Robinson was raw as an onion as he came from a simplified college offense and simply wasn't ready.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Some thoughts;
  1. I think Goff should have received more reps in preseason with the 1's.
  2. I think a lot of us are concerned because we've been conditioned to fear a bad offense under Fisher. So... If he's catching heat, he brought that on himself.
  3. I would have liked to see Goff as #2 this week as he could get mop-up reps in the 3rd/4th quarter when we get a big lead :sneaky:
  4. The fact Goff is sitting early, doesn't mean squat about his long term prospect. A LOT of QB's have needed time to break in. It's kind of disappointing to see the media tear the guy down "to create a story".
  5. Goff doesn't look ready, but he's close. You can see his skills. Once things slow down, he'll be thinking less and he'll be ready.
  6. Sitting Goff gives the offense time to get better before he's inserted as the starter. The oline. The young WR's. The new offense variations from Groh. Time helps Goff in these ways.
  7. I hate the thought of losing games with Keenum, while Goff sits. Here's hoping Keenum wins early so we aren't trying to dig out with a rookie.
  8. I understand the general concern... By I'm not feeling it, yet. So, I'm giving Fisher and is staff the benefit of the doubt to get him ready and that's going to take a couple more weeks.