Janoris Jenkins signs with NY Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 years 62 million with 29-30 guaranteed. My be he's a cap casualty before that contract is done.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
You're a high risk/high reward player, JJ. Glad the Giants gave you what you wanted, though.
I'm looking forward to seeing you jump routes and our receivers blowing past you in London next season.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Janoris Jenkins deal reportedly includes $29 million fully guaranteed
Posted by Josh Alper on March 9, 2016, 11:12 AM EST
496300402-e1457539941205.jpg
Getty Images
Cornerback Janoris Jenkins told Josina Anderson of ESPN that it “feels good” to have a deal in place to join the Giants as a free agent on Wednesday, which might be an understatement after looking at the numbers in the deal.

According to multiple reports, the deal is a five-year pact with a total value of $62.5 million. That $12.5 million per year average is good for seventh-best among cornerbacks, but Jenkins ranks even higher when it comes to guaranteed money.

The deal reportedly includes $29 million in fully guaranteed money, which is more than any corner in the league other than Darrelle Revis. Jenkins shares more than just a home stadium with Revis as his new agents Neil Schwartz and Jon Feinsod also negotiated Revis’ return to the Jets last year.

Jenkins is coming off a very strong 2015 season, but his play hasn’t always been at the same level over the course of his four years in the NFL. Keeping things at that level would be made easier with a strong pass rush, which makes the Giants’ interest in defensive end Olivier Vernon (and their decision to re-sign Jason Pierre-Paul) hard to argue with even if it will add another pricey contract to the payroll.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Rams won that...

Sometimes you win by not making bad deals. JJ at $12.5M per and the 2nd most guaranteed after Revis is a turrible, turrible deal.

And we're so loaded at safety with Mo Alexander and Christian Bryant in reserve that McLeod getting over paid isn't smart.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As much as I wanted him back I cannot blame a guy that has worked to get here taking that kind of money. It's not like the Giants are a bad team. They can win that crappy division with Eli at QB
I mean that's a shit load of guaranteed money.

Is what it is. Hopefully Gaines comes back 100% and we don't feel much difference at CB.

I am curious though what the max offer was from us?

Tru is the better overall CB so I'm glad he's staying.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Janoris Jenkins ends up second only to Darrelle Revis in CB money at signing
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2016, 11:48 AM EST
zz0ymdqynjc4ytkzntm0zju5mwy1ytiznjywyjexotk4zg-e1457542070670.jpeg
AP
The two teams in the nation’s largest market soon will have the two highest paid cornerbacks in football.

Per a league source, the contract to be signed by cornerback Janoris Jenkins with the Giants has (as others have reported) a base value of $62.5 million, an average of $12.5 million per year. The contract pays out $29 million in the first two years, all of which is fully guaranteed.

Beyond that are three non-guaranteed seasons, with base salaries only and one of the fluff that complicates the presentation or digestion of the contract. Jenkins gets $11 million in 2018, $11.25 million in 2019, and $11.25 million in 2020.

He’s second only to Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, whose current five-year, $70 million deal was negotiated a year ago by the same firm that negotiated Jenkins’ deal, Schwartz & Feinsod. The Revis contract had $39 million fully guaranteed at signing, with a three-year payout of $48 million and base salaries of $11 million in 2018 and 2019.

Revis will get significantly more guaranteed and much more in the early years of the contract. His deal averages $14 million in total value at signing.

For Jenkins, it’s a surprising deal given that he entered the league with plenty of red flags. To his credit, he has been a model citizen since becoming a second-round pick in 2012, and he now has received a financial reward that reflects his on-field accomplishments and absence of off-field entanglements.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
That contract is as risky as Wall Street's decision making. Best of luck to him though, looking forward to facing him in Twickenham.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just heard on BSPN. pee pee off Janoris.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/janoris-jenkins-expected-to-sign-with-the-giants/

One of the best cornerbacks available in free agency appears set to choose New York over Los Angeles.

Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins is poised to sign with the Giants, Adam Schefter of ESPN reported and a source confirmed to PFT.

The Rams had interest in keeping Jenkins, although doing so would have been expensive, and perhaps too expensive after cornerback Trumaine Johnson signed his $14 million franchise tender.

Jenkins has been a starter in all four of his seasons since the Rams drafted him in 2012, and now he’ll be the No. 1 cornerback for the Giants.
If True, P.O.H!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I understand it. The Rams are starting to get closer to being a contender. They can't really afford to lose good players right now. Plus Jenkins talked about LA and playing in warm weather and keeping the Defensive backfield intact "Migos". It gave a lot of fans hope.....Now they are pissed because he turned his back on them. Fan stands for Fanatic. Natural to me and that passion is what makes sports so much fun.

event_167094912.jpeg

29MIL for thre first two years???

Good for him, and good for the Rams that they didn't do that deal!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't understand insulting the guy for going with the best offer on the table.

My opinion of him as a person and player won't change. The guy showed growth on the field and off, no arrests, no suspensions and his last two years with the Rams were his best. Deserved to get paid. Good luck to him.
Sorry! I'm Selfish!! F him.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Bye JJ! Looking forward to seeing GRob running your @$$ over! :mrburnsevil::rolllaugh:

Maybe they should pin a benjamin to GRob's chest before they play against each other. Perhaps JJ will try to take the bait! :death::rolllaugh:

I'm good with Gaines and Johnson on the corners here. Let's get Barron and McLeod inked and I think the Rams will be fine in the secondary. Maybe draft another DB to groom. I'm not remotely worried about JJ's departure. It seemed quite obvious that it was inevitable.

RamBill

Legend
Rams prepared to handle loss of Janoris Jenkins
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ms-prepared-to-handle-loss-of-janoris-jenkins

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Make no mistake, the Los Angeles Rams badly wanted to keep cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

They tried for more than a year to strike a long-term deal with their soon-to-be former No. 1 cornerback, but it was all for naught. According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, Jenkins is headed to the New York Giants on a deal that will pay him more than $12 million per season. The move can't be made official until 4 p.m. ET, when the new league year begins.

Assuming there are no hiccups before that, Jenkins is on his way to play for former Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, the Giants' defensive coordinator. Really, Jenkins' departure should not surprise. He was always going to go to the highest bidder, and once the Rams put the franchise tag on fellow cornerback Trumaine Johnson, the team's willingness to pay such a heavy freight for Jenkins dwindled.

Back in October, Jenkins said he was looking for a team that would give him a deal that would show the "respect" he believed he deserved. League sources told me he would seek a contract that would start at the $10.5 million annual average that the Philadelphia Eagles gave Byron Maxwell last year. The Rams were more comfortable with something in the area of $8 million per year.

In heading to New York, Jenkins takes his knack for big plays -- his six return touchdowns are the most of any defensive player in the NFL in the past four years -- with him. He also takes his penchant for allowing big plays -- Pro Football Focus has him down for 22 touchdowns allowed in that same time span, third most in the NFL.

Jenkins had his best NFL season in 2015, cutting down on some of the mistakes that previously plagued him, and the Rams understandably wanted to bring him back because of it. But if there was one player among their key defensive free agents whom they were equipped to handle losing, it was Jenkins -- not necessarily Jenkins personally, but more so one of their top corners.

Once they tagged Johnson instead, it made Jenkins the most likely candidate to depart. That's not to say the Rams will be able to keep others like ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and linebacker/safety Mark Barron, but they are right to put the priority on trying to keep those players rather than paying big money for a second corner.

That's because the Rams have some depth in place that makes losing Jenkins more tolerable. Johnson will return as the No. 1 corner, a job he hasn't done much in his four NFL seasons but showed he could handle in a late-season win against the Detroit Lions and receiver Calvin Johnson. Opposite Trumaine Johnson, the Rams are expecting to get E.J. Gaines back in the fold after a season-ending foot injury. Remember, Gaines was actually the favorite to win the starting job instead of Johnson before last season. Assuming he returns to health, which is the expectation, Gaines is capable of stepping in and playing well.

Lamarcus Joyner took a big step forward as the nickel corner and Marcus Roberson is a still-developing talent who can handle the fourth cornerback job. And, of course, the Rams could still turn to the draft to add another topflight corner, especially with three picks in the top 45.

In the meantime, they now have more money they were ready to spend on Jenkins that they can allocate elsewhere. That means continued efforts to keep the likes of Barron, Hayes and Sims and potentially even find some upgrades for an offense in desperate need of some.

No, the Rams didn't want to lose Jenkins just like most teams don't want to lose players they've drafted and developed. But at least in this case, they're prepared to replace him.