Janoris Jenkins signs with NY Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted to see him in horns, and something tells me he still might be. If he is not, good luck to him. I mean, pretty much screw the Giants, but I am glad he is going to get paid.
Now we have another hole, and whether you wanted Janoris back or not, it is going to be a big one to fill.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I can easily see why Jenkins took the money and fled to New York. If some team is welling to pay him "well in excess" of 12M that is their choice. I would take that money in his position too. No hard feelings at all. It only takes one scary play in the NFL to end your carer immediately. You have to cash in as soon as possible to make sure you aren't left with nothing but a broken body at the end of your career. Good for him getting paid.

Fans like to bring up "loyalty" but will be the first ones wanting players cut as soon as they get old, their body breaks down, and their performance declines. Which is fair. Football is a business. If you cannot perform get out. But it works both ways and if management does not want to pony up the cash.... a player has every right to say good riddance. I didn't mind Jenkins "me first" mentality in regards to money. What I did hate was:

(1) His lack of professionalism taking to twitter;
(2) Jenkins seemingly being a lesser team-mate... obviously, I was never in the locker room so this is speculation, but it says something to me that it was Tru texting the injured Gaines all season keeping him in the loop and not Jenkins.
(3) His confidence (a good thing) hitting the point of lacking any self-awareness (a bad thing). He seems to actually believe he is a top 5 CB in this league. That is crazy, and I wonder if such a high opinion of himself made him hesitant to listen to criticism and/or work hard to improve his game. Query why it took him to so long to not bite on every double move, when the coaches doubtlessly would have been harping on it for years. Query why he only seemed to put it together his contract year, whereas Tru seemed to follow more of a steady upward trajectory in his development since being drafted (injuries aside)

I'm glad the Rams did not pay him that much money. My only worry is if the market for non-elite CBs is going to start getting crazy after the Maxwell and Jenkins deals...

I ultimately think Jenks will be solid for the Giants, but that fans will still be disappointed at how many big plays he gives up for such a high price-tag.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I always felt we'd lose him. He was in it for the money. He made it clear the highest bidder wins. Even if its a buck. I'm glad the Rams didn't give in to that much. They probably have options that the Giants didn't have.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
He could have been such a huge star out in LA, his personality seems to match the west coast better. NY celebs always seem more like the serious and brooding type. (not bashing East coast, lots of friends from that area--but man they can be some moody mf'ers) :argue:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Jenkins is better than average. But he ain't no all star caliber DB. The Giants were more desperate than the Rams at that position. The Rams have enough depth to avoid over paying. The Giants didn't. I just hope the Rams use that money they saved to address areas more in need. And don't be surprised to see them wait until the initial frenzy dies down and look for second tier guys who might provide more value for the buck. That has been their M.O.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I have a feeling, if its a long term deal, he's going to be a cap casualty. So he better hope the guarantees are big. Because at some point, the deal is going to look bad on the books, and he'll be searching for his third team. Wish him the best, but damn, have fun wearing grey.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Mixed feelings. Last year showed that, when motivated, he can be pretty effective. At the same time, the three prior years showed that he doesn't always keep his head in the game and has maturity issues. And I am glad the Rams didn't pay him what the Giants are apparently offering.

Thankfully, JF and LS seem to know how to draft CB's, and I'm confident we will have an adequate replacement on the roster. If EJ is ready to go, then this loss is minimal.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Best to him. This is his only chance for a big contract due to his age. So can't begrudge that at all.

RamBill

Legend
The Giants' new starting cornerback adds a boom-or-bust element to the secondary.

BEN STOCKWELL

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...is-jenkins-is-a-high-risk-signing-for-giants/

Editor’s note: Grades and analysis for this article may be updated as further details of the deal are reported.

The deal: Per a report from Rand Getlin, cornerback Janoris Jenkins will sign with the Giants when free agency opens with Ian Rapoport adding that it will be a multi-year deal “worth more than $12 million per year.”

Grade: D

What it means for the Giants: This is a boom-or-bust move for the Giants. From a financial perspective, this is a big gamble on a cornerback who has not proven himself to be among the top tier of corners. Jenkins has consistently been a corner equally adept at creating impact plays for both his team and the opposition.

Since Jenkins entered the league in 2012, only Buster Skrine (25) and Patrick Peterson (23) have surrendered more than Jenkins’ 22 touchdowns, while only four corners (Antonio Cromartie, Brandon Carr, Cary Williams and Tramon Williams) have allowed more plays of 20-plus yards than Jenkins (39). On the positive side, Jenkins will make big plays for his own team as well; his 10 career interceptions are tied for the 12th-most since he entered the league, and his 34 passes defensed are tied for the seventh-most.

Paired with incumbent No. 1 corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Jenkins gives the Giants two aggressive corners who love to make plays on the ball. Rodgers-Cromartie himself has 12 interceptions and 38 passes defensed since 2012, and if the Giants can land a pass-rusher to play opposite Jason Pierre-Paul, they are setting themselves up to have an extremely aggressive pass defense that could lead for some explosive games in 2016 — for both them and their opponents.

What it means for the Rams: When the Rams franchise-tagged Trumaine Johnson last week, it seemed clear that the Rams were moving on from trying to retain Jenkins. While Jenkins has provided Jekyll and Hyde play since he entered the league, Johnson has been a far more consistently positive presence in the Rams secondary. Johnson has 15 interceptions (five more than Jenkins) since 2012 and 20 pass defenses on 1,300 fewer snaps.

The Rams need a second corner opposite Johnson now that Jenkins is headed for the Big Apple, but they can get comparable if not more consistent play at a far lower price than the Giants have paid Jenkins.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Im not mad at him or the Rams.

The point of FA after your rookie contract is to get paid big time. With the cap going up and the market exploding that's exactly what Jenks did. Good for him making 12 mil plus

On the rams end Tru is already under the tag for 14 and even though an extension will lower that number having 26mil plus committed to the CB position doesn't make sense considering our own FA we have to sign this year and next. Additionally Jenks is getting paid like a top 5 CB, but has never played like that. I would rather bet on the rare 6'2 guy who is year younger with more ints with fewer chances.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for Jenkins. Imagine how angry he must have been when the Rams tagged Trumaine Johnson though. Speaking of Johnson, my guess is he will want as much money as Janoris. I guess Fisher figured he would rather give that money to Trumaine rather than Jenkins. We can only hope that it works out. Jenkins is a good cover corner, but his off the field antics and "unique" personality drove me nuts. The NY media will anoint him the savior, but they will also crucify him as soon as he gives up a touchdown. He will find it very difficult to play in NY. Finally, would you rather be rich or happy? I guess friendships mean little to Jenkins. He will soon find out he made the wrong decision. IMHO

fearsomefour

Legend
I wonder if any of the old Rams warned Jenkins about how terrible Spagnuolo is?
Yeah, probably would not matter....you know, you have a small window to make your money. He is at the right age coming off of a great year....cash in. I get it. I really wanted him back. But, keeping Johnson was probably the smarter move as he is a more consistent player.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The part that he likely didn't pay attention to, was the fact he now needs to learn a new defense. Not that he can't but it'll take time. Even when he came to the Rams, yeah he made some flashy plays, but he was also probably the worst corner in the game consistency wise and repeatedly got shredded. I fear he will have the same start in NY. Though, you never know I suppose.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 52]Screenshot_2016-03-09-08-53-21 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM[/GALLERY]

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't know if there is such a thing as a shut down corner anymore....not with the rules the way they are. In terms of D, I value a pass rusher over a cover guy. It is easy enough to take a great DB out of the game by just not throwing toward him. But, I never saw anyone avoiding JJ.
To me, JJ leaving makes resigning a guy like Barron all the more important....lose a playmaker, keep a playmaker.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm not upset with him at all, I'm upset that our team is going to allow all our free agents to walk. We didn't even sign Johnson to a contract, we franchised him, that's only a one year bandaid for the most part. What did we even clear up all this cap space for?