It's time to start Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because you can't just close Pandora's Box after you've opened it up, you have to let nature take it's course and count your blessings.

And on a more serious note, the mods must've thought it warranted enough discussion to keep it open
And thats what I wanted was discussion but it's turned into a mess more then a discussion.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
And thats what I wanted was discussion but it's turned into a mess more then a discussion.

I do apologize for my choice of words in the last post as I was still pretty mad about today's loss; it was completely uncalled for.

Anyways, Mannion's still unpolished to take reigns as a starting NFL QB. The preseason tape still shows WIP and I'm not so sure he'll develop into a decent starter.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Haven't read the thread. I liked the Mannion pick. He's not ready.
#pickcity

Limey

Rookie
Foles wasn't great, but we have short memories. At least he didn't throw a pick 6 and hand the game to the opposition, which was what seemed to be happening regularly last season. He didn't win us the game, but he didn't give it away, either. I would like him to play better, of course I would, but knee-jerk benching could make things much, much worse.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Actually? Yeah. Let the thread die on its own. Or disagree in a way that isn't being a total ass about it. I'm not saying that I'm immune to this, but I'm sick and freaking tired of people lording their opinions over others. It's what pissed me off about hammer, and it's starting to pee pee me off with certain other posters I've already mentioned.
Damn , losing makes us a unhappy locker room!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Why? Is Foles hurt? Keenum on holiday?

I had this game down asa loss at the start of the season anyway, its time to stop over-reacting, there will be all for getting Bradford back soon...

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The strange choice to go for 2 after the first score factors in too....the Rams may have won in regulation if they just kicked the extra point. Strange choice.
Johnson played well again. Very uneven game in terms of officiating. Both teams DBs were holding all day long. Some got called, some did not. I am glad the refs corrected themselves on the Johnson pick cause that was a great play.
i'm thinking that Fisher figures the wind makes the PAT harder, making the 2 pt more attractive. lately Zuerlein has been putting a nasty hook on the ball even in the dome. that end of the stadium has 2 openings and i noticed the flags on the goalposts where one flag was straight out and the other was straight down.
he gambles at times, and when it works its great. obviously the opposite when it doesnt. that didnt lose the game (GZ may have missed it, he missed last week around that distance in a dome. austin and cook both dropped important passes. 2 non calls on illegal blocks would have been nice to have.
honestly, not having robert quinn cause chaos on the outside really hurt the rams. when a top defense loses almost half its starters that never helps. and without a good rotation i'm betting hayes and sims wore out as the game went on, not use to getting all those snaps.

mo alexander looking at the ball carrier instead of seeing the bouncing ball behind him was big. Foles missing out on Britt being wide open on the first drive. etc, et al.
in the end, unless its a blatant screwup that leads to a game winning score, it really doesnt matter why they lost, the fact is they did lose. in another big game that would put them over the hump. and until they learn how to win those games, Rams fans will be bummed out a little longer in life. maybe fisher will draft 4 or 5 WR's next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Foles did have a bad game, and for any who are looking to absolve him he deserves to be criticized

Not noting Britt wide open deep on the first drive... Give him that one play back it would change the entire game. But he also did not see Quick later in the game along with poor accuracy.

The WRs share blame too. Some of his misses were likely poorly run routes. Plus the drops.

And Cigs wentt back to the well on that sweep a bit too much. Vertical shots will complement what Cigs is doing in the backfield, but it is hard for me to blame his scheme when the QB is not seeing WRs running open.

All that aside I will close by saying it is Cigs responsibility to get the QB playing well. Like it or no accountability needs to be there by the dude running an offense that still executes poorly across the board. Maybe he needs to have these guys run plays until they puke, so they can effin execute them correctly idk.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Mannion is HIGHLY unlikely to perform better than Foles, and throwing him into the middle of this season is more likely to damage than to help his growth as a future NFL starter. Running him out there over Foles and Keenum is a bad idea. Sorry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm bumping this...because it really is time to start Mannion. The season is dead. Foles and Keenum have looked awful. Let's see what this kid can do. If he struggles, he struggles. But let's get him NFL action. It's not like we're going to cut him anyways after the year. So let's see what he can do. If he struggles, we'll go get a guy this off-season and Mannion can compete with him. If he looks great, we have our answer.

I'm tired of watching guys that have no future with this team. Let's see what Mannion is made of. Get him reps this week with the #1 unit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm bumping this...because it really is time to start Mannion. The season is dead. Foles and Keenum have looked awful. Let's see what this kid can do. If he struggles, he struggles. But let's get him NFL action. It's not like we're going to cut him anyways after the year. So let's see what he can do. If he struggles, we'll go get a guy this off-season and Mannion can compete with him. If he looks great, we have our answer.

I'm tired of watching guys that have no future with this team. Let's see what Mannion is made of. Get him reps this week with the #1 unit.

Even with the offensive line in shambles?

I'm not sure that's good for this evaluation or his development.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even with the offensive line in shambles?

I'm not sure that's good for this evaluation or his development.

Yep. Let's see what he's made of.

I think it's good for evaluation.

Frankly, we have to evaluate the kid. Because we can't stand pat this off-season without knowing that he's the guy.

fancents86

Starter
No. Disagree. Not while the playoff hunt is on. We're still in it - could still win the division even if the wild-card slot is difficult. Chicago - W, Baltimore W (probably screw it up though), Bengals - L, Arizona W/L take your pick, Detroit - W, Tampa - W, Sea Pigeons - W/L, Whiners W.

I've got us down for 7 more wins. We crush our division.
I think your name should be "RamsinDenial" brother. Lol. I like your optimism though.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Will starting Mannion give us a materially better chance to win?
Will starting Mannion materially harm his growth as an NFL QB?

I believe the answers to those are no and yes, respectively, so no. Let's not start Mannion.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yep. Let's see what he's made of.

I think it's good for evaluation.

Frankly, we have to evaluate the kid. Because we can't stand pat this off-season without knowing that he's the guy.
Who needs to evaluate him? "We"?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If you want to lose the team in the locker, sending the message that wins no longer matter by starting a rookie 3rd string QB 8s a good way to do it.
Mannion struggled in preseason. He's more than likely had very few reps in practice, since the start of the regular season.

Starting Mannion could do more harm than good.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Heh fair enough there's no we (unless we were Packers fans that own shares I guess). Even though I disagree at times with him, I would certainly trust @jrry32 to evaluate QBs more than the Rams at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Whoever replaces the staff. It'll be nice to have tape of Mannion at the NFL level. Or...if he impresses, maybe we give Fisher a chance to coach out his 5th year.(I doubt that...and by doubt that, I mean I doubt he'll earn it...I wouldn't be shocked if Kroenke keeps him anyways)

Will starting Mannion give us a materially better chance to win?
Will starting Mannion materially harm his growth as an NFL QB?

I believe the answers to those are no and yes, respectively, so no. Let's not start Mannion.

If the answer to the first question is no then the answer to the second question is irrelevant because if he can't offer us a better chance to win than Foles and Keenum have the past two weeks, his growth won't matter.

So my answers are:
1. Possibly.
2. Likely not.

What harm is it going to do? He's had almost the entire season to work on his game. He didn't come out with a flaw so major that you can't risk playing him as a rookie. He might struggle. But it'll at least let us see what we have.

Rookie mistakes will be tolerated. But we need to see if he has the chops to play in the NFL.

P.S. anticipating a possible argument, I think the whole "Carr'ing" or "Bulger'ing" claims are crap. You don't get "Carr'd" or "Bulger'd" over 6 games. Those guys got their asses kicked up and down the field for years before they were broken. It isn't something that happens over a short period of time unless you already had the problem.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mannion won't get more valuable sitting in the box. He's not a vintage action figure. If we don't give him real reps and real game action to evaluate him, we won't know best how to attack the 2016 off-season.

NEITHER QB ahead of Mannion has shown very much. And if you'll all recall, the very offensive issues we had were even more present in preseason because several of the teams we faced game planned us while we didn't and we ran super vanilla offenses and defenses and Mannion's time was used as "eval" time for the bottom of the offensive roster.

In Mannion's defense, he was the first to have the offense down and actually helped Foles get it. And when he was in, even leading bis motley crew, they had more energy than our 1s. His command of the huddle and the offense was noted at the time.

Now, is he "ready"? I dunno. Obviously he'd need at least a week with the 1s. But is he that much less ready than Winston's first game? No way. Winston very well may end up being the better QB, but Sean Mannion has already started, what? 40+ games at OSU? The pro game takes time to adjust to all on its own.

Also, timely, accurate throws would help the OL and skill position players out a lot right now because the zeppelins and worm burners they are getting now just aren't cutting it.

Seriously, when we are sitting here and we have to be sorry we let Shawn Hill go... If we care about winning, we have to do SOMETHING because neither Foles nor Keenum is going to do it. I haven't seen QB play this bad outside of Cleveland or Miami maybe ever.