It's time to start Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion won't get more valuable sitting in the box. He's not a vintage action figure. If we don't give him real reps and real game action to evaluate him, we won't know best how to attack the 2016 off-season.

NEITHER QB ahead of Mannion has shown very much. And if you'll all recall, the very offensive issues we had were even more present in preseason because several of the teams we faced game planned us while we didn't and we ran super vanilla offenses and defenses and Mannion's time was used as "eval" time for the bottom of the offensive roster.

In Mannion's defense, he was the first to have the offense down and actually helped Foles get it. And when he was in, even leading bis motley crew, they had more energy than our 1s. His command of the huddle and the offense was noted at the time.

Now, is he "ready"? I dunno. Obviously he'd need at least a week with the 1s. But is he that much less ready than Winston's first game? No way. Winston very well may end up being the better QB, but Sean Mannion has already started, what? 40+ games at OSU? The pro game takes time to adjust to all on its own.

Also, timely, accurate throws would help the OL and skill position players out a lot right now because the zeppelins and worm burners they are getting now just aren't cutting it.

Seriously, when we are sitting here and we have to be sorry we let Shawn Hill go... If we care about winning, we have to do SOMETHING because neither Foles nor Keenum is going to do it. I haven't seen QB play this bad outside of Cleveland or Miami maybe ever.

This is an underrated part of it. We're in evaluation mode. It's tough to evaluate what we have at the skill positions when the QB can't get them the ball. Same with the OL. Hard to evaluate them when the QB can't maneuver the pocket or get the ball out on time.

It would be helpful to evaluate Mannion...but if he does end up offering more than Keenum and Foles, it might allow us to evaluate other players...and maybe, just maybe we realize we have a little more than we thought.

Frankly, I think Brian Quick is capable of doing things in this offense if we use him on the routes he's best at. And those happen to be the routes that Mannion would likely be the best at throwing (with how inaccurate Foles is right now).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, the season is done. We're not in playoff mode even though we're not eliminated. No way we sweep, so we're done.

I dunno if I put Mannion out there against the Bengals, but after that? Maybe put him on the scout team this week half time and get him as many reps as possible.

iced

I see us finishing 6-10 or 7-9 with the way the team is playing and all the injuries

Without a starting caliber qb and a duct taped OL, its unrealistic to expect anything more.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
What's more disheartening is that we went 4-4 through the meat of our schedule and will likely go 2-6 or 1-7 the rest of the way.

Yeah. The only game I have is winning is the SF game atm. The way TB is playing, they will beat us. They aren't the easy out they were in the beginning of the year.

What really SUCKS will be having the Cards come into the Dome and roflstomp us because you KNOW Arians will run up the score.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's more disheartening is that we went 4-4 through the meat of our schedule and will likely go 2-6 or 1-7 the rest of the way.

Yeah. The only game I have is winning is the SF game atm. The way TB is playing, they will beat us. They aren't the easy out they were in the beginning of the year.

What really SUCKS will be having the Cards come into the Dome and roflstomp us because you KNOW Arians will run up the score.

Screw that. We can go 1-7 the rest of the way as long as we stick it to the Cards again. But let's not hurt Palmer. I respect him and I don't want Seattle somehow stealing the division.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
We'll be lucky to win one game the rest of the way.

I'd hoped Keenum would be an improvement over a struggling Foles, but NOPE. Wow, what a display of hippo droppings.

So, beating the Cards? Well I'll be rooting for the Rams, but honestly, I have an excuse...I have a brain injury....lol.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I just said that. You don't put in a rookie against the Bengals D especially not one whose not taken any meaningful snaps since preseason.

That said, I'd start getting him scout team reps now so that if we need to start him week after next, it's not a cold start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Only starting Mannion in Week 17 is a waste. One start won't tell us much of anything. Gotta give him at least 4 imo if you're going to start him. But as many as possible would be best.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yeah, more starts are better... Just not this week on the road. That would not be...um...optimal for his development to have the Bengals plant him like a perennial.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, more starts are better... Just not this week on the road. That would not be...um...optimal for his development to have the Bengals plant him like a perennial.

Eh...I don't know. Maybe he'd surprise us? If not the Bengals, his first start would be against the Cardinals. Not any better. ;)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I still don't like the idea, not behind the line that just allowed Case Keenum to get concussed. If we want him to develop into something that might be of use for us and not just a tackling dummy in a vain attempt to save something we already know is lost we'll let him come into next year as one of our(hopefully) many QBs competing for this job and try to earn it with a year of NFL under his belt.

This season is a wash, we know the script already, throwing him into this fire just does him a disservice.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
But it would be at home and he'd hopefully have a week of scout team and then a week of 1st team as opposed to now where maybe he'll have a week with the 1s starting cold.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it, but at the same time, just like with Gurley, I don't think it would be optimal to get his first start on the road after a formerly undefeated team just got its first loss against a fellow NFCW rival. It will be a bounce back game for them which is why I expect our D to have to play out of their skulls to keep it under 30 (of course, we'll score our obligatory 13).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it would be at home and he'd hopefully have a week of scout team and then a week of 1st team as opposed to now where maybe he'll have a week with the 1s starting cold.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it, but at the same time, just like with Gurley, I don't think it would be optimal to get his first start on the road after a formerly undefeated team just got its first loss against a fellow NFCW rival. It will be a bounce back game for them which is why I expect our D to have to play out of their skulls to keep it under 30 (of course, we'll score our obligatory 13).

Gotta get those reps with the 1s either ways. Don't think a week of scout team will make much of a difference.(JMO)

As for Cincy, that was their second loss...and Gurley did get his first start on the road...against an undefeated team (Arizona). ;)

Like you said, this is a kid that had like 40 starts in college under a former NFL HC in a pro style system. We're 11 weeks into the NFL season. Unless he's just not ready, toss him into the deep end and let's see if he can swim. He's not going to drown because the Rams aren't going to cut him if he struggles. But if he plays well, he might earn himself the starting job heading into next year and give us some relief in the off-season.(makes QB less of a priority...still a priority but we're less desperate)

I still don't like the idea, not behind the line that just allowed Case Keenum to get concussed. If we want him to develop into something that might be of use for us and not just a tackling dummy in a vain attempt to save something we already know is lost we'll let him come into next year as one of our(hopefully) many QBs competing for this job and try to earn it with a year of NFL under his belt.

This season is a wash, we know the script already, throwing him into this fire just does him a disservice.

Or it does him a service. Rather than competing with a more highly regarded prospect...who let's be honest, will win the job...he'd get a chance to prove he's the guy on the field.

He's had most of the season to prepare. Let the kid show what he's made of. It's not going to break his career. But it could make it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Look at Manning behind those OLs in Indy... They were mediocre at best, but he got rid of the ball so dang fast that he made them look better than they were.

Heck, even in Denver, he did the same dropping 40 more TDs over a 3 year period than any other QB which is just nuts to think about with Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rothlisberger and other very productive QBs playing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Rams botched the Keenum concussion yesterday, look for him to be inactive this week on protocol. With mannion being #2 in practice this week he better be getting significant snaps. Start him against Cincy? Heck no. Doesn't mean he can't get some snaps though especially in garbage time. Cincy is gonna look to put a beat down on us after losing 2 in a row.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's too early to throw away the season. We still have a shot at the playoffs, although a small one. The team is probably going thru the same thing as us on this board... anger, frustration, desperation... we need to stick together. If we don't play well, the sun will still rise tomorrow. It is way too early for Mannion, although if we don't see some kind of progress out of this offense I believe Fisher will be gone this year. And rightly so.

nighttrain

Legend
Only starting Mannion in Week 17 is a waste. One start won't tell us much of anything. Gotta give him at least 4 imo if you're going to start him. But as many as possible would be best.
plain foolishness to run out Foles on Keenum in anymore games, Mannion is a big boy and i'm sure he took a few hits in College ball, I agree that we should get him on the field now!
trainI