Gurley is the best back in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Shorter guys have shorter strides. That's a disadvantage in straight line speed in terms of talking about the fast guy who's 5'8" vs the fast guy who's 6'

It makes them look fast because of their fast stride but I'll bet long stride TG is faster over 60 yards.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bro. You're just wrong on this one. Brown, J-Jax, Hilton, OBJ, Sanders, Cooks, and Cobb to name a few, are not big guys.....and can go straight down the field with speed to burn you for a reception. Hells, even throw in Givens.

Austin torched Sherman for a long completion.

Austin has been open downfield a few times.....Foles has missed. Not sure what you aren't seeing.

But TA can't against fast coverage because he's not a top speed guy. Ask him.

And back to my point, again, Foles will never be a breadbasket guy all the time and that's pretty normal. We can keep making the guy at fault or understand who he is and send the correct receivers.

As I recall, Sherman was right there with TA. Maybe we are thinking of different passes?

jjab360

Legend
I'm not quoting him. It's far too common of a statement by him. Many many times. I'm sure others on here have heard it too. For me it's been on the radio. Don't act like when I say he said it, many times, it's not true.

4.34 - 40. Not 80. Your point is irrelevant as I'm saying he has fast burst and sprint speed.

He has been run down many times and he is almost never open on long passes. Zero separation most of the time.

Regardless, and back to the point, Foles is not going to breadbasket drop it every pass and TA, not being able to get separation downfield consistently, is not the WR Rams should use. It almost always fails. Has he caught a long ball this season? I don't remember one. I remember several attempts, no separation, pass defended.
Give me an example of Tavon being run from behind by a defender who didn't have the angle and, yes, quote Tavon saying he doesn't have elite straight line speed because I've never heard him saying it before and I think you're taking what he said out of context.

Yes, he caught a long ball against the Cards and did this against Richard Sherman:

Clear separation, ball underthrown.

RamzFanz

Damnit
They need to work on timing and Foles has to throw the ball a second sooner so Austin can run to it.

Well, see, that's a damn good point. Yes, that makes sense, and if TA adjust to the pass, that would work.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25075081/combine-best-workout-numbers-since-2000

4.28 handheld time which is more reliable for some scouts.

Also didn't run an amazing 10 or 20 yard dash (1.55, 2.56) implying his 20-40 yard speed is what's most impressive in direct contrast to RF's argument.

No offense but handheld times are pretty worthless compared to laser times as they can vary an extensive amount. No official track sport uses hand timing and neither does the NFL. This is why Chris Johnson has the official fastest 40 and not Bo Jackson. Officially and reliably, the fastest 40 for Austin is 4.34. All his speed is gained early and this is why his 100m time is far slower than you would expect. He is almost a full second slower than TG3 when it comes to the 100m yet they are very similar in the 40 yard dash.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Give me an example of Tavon being run from behind by a defender who didn't have the angle and, yes, quote Tavon saying he doesn't have elite straight line speed because I've never heard him saying it before and I think you're taking what he said out of context.

Yes, he caught a long ball against the Cards and did this against Richard Sherman:

Clear separation, ball underthrown.

LOL, dude, how do I quote a radio show?

Here's the context:

Are you the fastest player on the team?

Oh no, maybe for the first 30 or 40. Lots of faster players longer. Probably Givens is fastest. [paraphrasing]

I'm not home, but when I get home, I will give you examples.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, see, that's a damn good point. Yes, that makes sense, and if TA adjust to the pass, that would work.

I mean the play has to unfold a little more quickly I wasn't clear at first.

Foles needs to let it go earlier, he khnows the route and where the WR should be, or close enough.

Let TA run to it :)

jjab360

Legend
No offense but handheld times are pretty worthless compared to laser times as they can vary an extensive amount. No official track sport uses hand timing and neither does the NFL. This is why Chris Johnson has the official fastest 40 and not Bo Jackson. Officially and reliably, the fastest 40 for Austin is 4.34. All his speed is gained early and this is why his 100m time is far slower than you would expect. He is almost a full second slower than TG3 when it comes to the 100m yet they are very similar in the 40 yard dash.
Actually the NFL does use hand started/electronic finish times for their "official" 40 times.

Most teams use their own handheld 40 times, not the NFL times, and according to Fisher in his post draft interview they had Tavon clocked at a 4.2.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Actually the NFL does use hand started/electronic finish times for their "official" 40 times.

Most teams use their own handheld 40 times, not the NFL times, and according to Fisher in his post draft interview they had Tavon clocked at a 4.2.

TA is faster than his official combine time. It's still not a point that supports straight line speed over a longer distance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has been run down many times and he is almost never open on long passes. Zero separation most of the time.

820966378.gif

820969870.gif

tav1.gif

tavon-austin-punt-return-td.gif

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YWwTU6aFk

I don't see a guy getting run down. Maybe you can provide some examples? Because I can't think of a single time I've seen Austin run down from behind legitimately. I don't count Austin having to slow down or cut to avoid defenders in front of him as him getting run down from behind.

Regardless, and back to the point, Foles is not going to breadbasket drop it every pass and TA, not being able to get separation downfield consistently, is not the WR Rams should use. It almost always fails. Has he caught a long ball this season? I don't remember one. I remember several attempts, no separation, pass defended.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eN28-TxKxk

Tavon has had at least 2 other deep balls where he had separated, Foles under-threw him, and the pass was broken up. You saw there what happens if you put the ball out in front of Austin.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's the humorous part of all this (the NFL Combine coverage and 40s). The NFL teams don't use the "official" times (what you're quoting for Austin). They use their own times along with the times that the scouting service gives them. The 4.34 40 you're quoting for Austin is meaningless. NFLDraftScout has him in the 4.2s somewhere and that's the time the NFL teams would actually pay attention to.

As far as 100 meter dash is concerned, he hasn't run that since high school and none of us have any idea what went into those times. Gurley was a serious track athlete. Which means he probably had pretty damn good technique. Austin may not have been. A lot of football players are forced to do it by their coaches to keep them out of trouble and in shape. Regardless, a 100 meter dash time that is...what...7 years old doesn't tell us much of anything.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the humorous part of all this (the NFL Combine coverage and 40s). The NFL teams don't use the "official" times (what you're quoting for Austin). They use their own times along with the times that the scouting service gives them. The 4.34 40 you're quoting for Austin is meaningless. NFLDraftScout has him in the 4.2s somewhere and that's the time the NFL teams would actually pay attention to.

As far as 100 meter dash is concerned, he hasn't run that since high school and none of us have any idea what went into those times. Gurley was a serious track athlete. Which means he probably had pretty damn good technique. Austin may not have been. A lot of football players are forced to do it by their coaches to keep them out of trouble and in shape. Regardless, a 100 meter dash time that is...what...7 years old doesn't tell us much of anything.

Somewhere in the 4.2s....SMH

jjab360

Legend
TA is faster than his official combine time. It's still not a point that supports straight line speed over a longer distance.
Exactly how much farther than 40 yards do you think a QB is going to throw the ball down the field exactly?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

jjab360

Legend
Odd. They went back and adjusted the times to the Combine "Official" times. They used to have the scout's times. Which had Austin at a 4.28.

You can still see it on this page as it hasn't updated:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

That's really too bad. They used to have the times that NFL teams used.
They still have him at a 4.28:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89477&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

RamzFanz

Damnit
Austin almost hit 19 mph on a full sprint, that's insanely fast. He's the best athlete on this team and Foles consistently underthrows him.

The fastest human is 32% faster at over 27MPH. Robert Gill, a 29 year old rookie runs 25MPH. There are QBs that run over 21 MPH and many many RBs and CBs.

19 is fast. It's not that fast on a football field.

RamzFanz

Damnit
820966378.gif

820969870.gif

tav1.gif

tavon-austin-punt-return-td.gif

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YWwTU6aFk

I don't see a guy getting run down. Maybe you can provide some examples? Because I can't think of a single time I've seen Austin run down from behind legitimately. I don't count Austin having to slow down or cut to avoid defenders in front of him as him getting run down from behind.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eN28-TxKxk

Tavon has had at least 2 other deep balls where he had separated, Foles under-threw him, and the pass was broken up. You saw there what happens if you put the ball out in front of Austin.

A) You answer as if you can't comprehend a word I've said. Foles will not be leading receivers deep every time. Few QBs can consistently. Perhaps it could get better with timing, but that's NOT who Foles is so throwing to TA deep is an error unless he's open.

B) In every example you gave, there are players on the field running as fast or faster than TA. TA uses blocking and changes of speed and direction to stay ahead of them.

In the first video, he only has separation because he lept and pushed off and they STILL caught up with him. In the second he was painted by the defender and only caught it because it was a basket catch, which Foles will not make very often that deep.

TA might have 3-4 deep ball pass receptions in his career. It's NOT what he does well compared to all the things he does do well.

Tavon Austin has already told us, so we don't need to guess. He's not only NOT the fastest in the NFL, he's not even the fastest on the Rams. He's not even in the conversation.

WvuIN02 says 19 MPH. I can't find a reference over 18, but either way, that's not fast in the NFL. There are QBs that exceed 21.

Last edited: