Gurley is the best back in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's currently #5 in the NFL in rushing yards, #1 in YPG, #1 in rushes of 40+ yards, tied for 2nd in rushes of 20+ yards (behind Bell), 4th in longest individual running play, all while being 17th in attempts.

Wow.
115 yds/game in 4 starts vs Arizona, Green Bay, Cleveland & San Francisco
The next guy (and he's not even close) is Le'Veon Bell at 92.7 yds/game.
icon_eek.gif

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Something else I'd like to add. Seems all the pundits are willing to put Gurley in the top 5 or even 3 in RB's. Nobody wants to come right out and say Gurley is the best. For some reason I think this has to do with him being a Ram. If he was a Cowboy or Peterson was putting up the exact same numbers, everybody would crown him. Doesn't matter, he'll just keep stunning everyone.

RamsFan14

Starter
Something else I'd like to add. Seems all the pundits are willing to put Gurley in the top 5 or even 3 in RB's. Nobody wants to come right out and say Gurley is the best. For some reason I think this has to do with him being a Ram. If he was a Cowboy or Peterson was putting up the exact same numbers, everybody would crown him. Doesn't matter, he'll just keep stunning everyone.

Well idk if it's because he's a Ram, maybe it's because he's a rookie? They don't want to give a rookie THAT much love after 4 starts? That's what I would think it is, although if he were a Cowboy, Jet, or a Patriot... Maybe some would rank him higher... I guess I can see that. Kinda sad :/

jjab360

Legend
I don't think so, I think it's just because nobody wants to say that about a rookie only 4 starts into his NFL career.

Don't worry, it'll be the consensus opinion in a few weeks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles will never throw a Dan Marino deep ball. Dan Marino didn't throw a Dan Marino deep ball. The receiver has to adjust and highpoint the ball if necessary. It's just how it is. It's his nature and the nature of most deep passes by most QBs. Bruce and Holt made Warner look a lot better at the deep pass than he would look with TA.

You need tall physical receivers for those passes. If TA isn't in the open field, Foles should never throw it to him deep unless it's desperate and going for the PI.

I also thought TA had the speed to separate deep until I didn't. He has a horrible record catching the deep ball or separating after 30 yards. Dude's little legs pumping like Fred Flintstone's make him look faster than he is in a straight line. Just as Gurley's long graceful strides make him look slower.

TA is all YAC in my mind until he proves otherwise. Burst speed that is unfathomable. Slippery. Change of speed and direction that spins defenders to the ground. But straight line? It doesn't work.

That's crazy. Foles should just put the ball out in front of Austin. There are numerous other QBs in the NFL capable of doing it.

But yea, I'm sure who has recorded all of these long plays doesn't have great top-end speed:
56 yard run vs. Arizona (2013)
57 yard reception vs. Indy (2013)
63 yard reception vs. Carolina (2013)
65 yard run vs. Chicago (2013)
66 yard reception vs. San Francisco (2015)
73 yard punt return vs. San Diego (2014)
75 yard punt return vs. Seattle (2015)
78 yard punt return vs. Washington (2014)
81 yard reception vs. Indy (2013)
84 yard punt return vs. Dallas (2013)
98 yard punt return vs. Indy (2013)

That's 11 50+ yard plays in 3 years (including 5 75+ yard plays).

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's crazy. Foles should just put the ball out in front of Austin. There are numerous other QBs in the NFL capable of doing it.

But yea, I'm sure who has recorded all of these long plays doesn't have great top-end speed:
66 yard catch vs. San Francisco (2015)
81 yard catch vs. Indy (2013)

Yes, I'm sure a guy that has 11 50+ yard plays in 3 years (including 5 75+ yard plays) does not have great deep speed.

Come on Jerry, I'm saying YAC and almost every play you listed is YAC. Almost every one of those is him making players miss with change of speed or direction. It's what he does.

TA MIGHT have 3 long bombs to his name.

Dude is tied with Gurley, Donald, and Quinn as my favorite players, and he's a weapon, but his straight line top speed is not what you think. He's been run down many many times.

My god man, that's according to HIM! HE tells us that over and over.

By the way, I'm not saying he isn't fast straight line, he's just not fast like Givens. He's not even in that conversation and HE will be the first one to say so. He's definitely above average.

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
He was almost at 19 mph when timed on speed. Its just below Olympic sprinter speeds.

He should have 2-3 tds on long bombs this year alone that Foles missed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on Jerry, I'm saying YAC and almost every play you listed is YAC. Almost every one of those is him making players miss with change of speed or direction. It's what he does.

TA MIGHT have 3 long bombs to his name.

Dude is tied with Gurley, Donald, and Quinn as my favorite players, and he's a weapon, but his straight line top speed is not what you think. He's been run down many many times.

My god man, that's according to HIM! HE tells us that over and over.

By the way, I'm not saying he isn't fast straight line, he's just not fast like Givens. He's not even in that conversation and HE will be the first one to say so. He's definitely above average.

Does Austin somehow get faster when the ball is in his hands? If he can outrun NFL players repeatedly over 60, 70, 80, and 90+ yards, I think he has the speed to get open deep.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Does Austin somehow get faster when the ball is in his hands? If he can outrun NFL players repeatedly over 60, 70, 80, and 90+ yards, I think he has the speed to get open deep.

But he doesn't. He evades them and uses speed and direction changes to stop them and spin them. When they hesitate, he turns on the burst speed to create separation. He has fantastic burst speed. But in straight line, he does get run down.

I'll leave you to your opinion. Austin and I disagree.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He was almost at 19 mph when timed on speed. Its just below Olympic sprinter speeds.

Foles isn't "missing" which is my whole point. That's who Foles is and we all know it. TA is not a good choice for adjusting to the ball and going up for it. That's why so many teams use tall athletic WRs, because most long balls are not bread basket passes.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

66 yard reception vs. San Francisco (2015)
81 yard reception vs. Indy (2013)

That's 11 50+ yard plays in 3 years (including 5 75+ yard plays).

They need to work on timing and Foles has to throw the ball a second sooner so Austin can run to it.

jjab360

Legend
But he doesn't. He evades them and uses speed and direction changes to stop them and spin them. When they hesitate, he turns on the burst speed to create separation. He has fantastic burst speed. But in straight line, he does get run down.

Dude, TA ran a 4.2 at the combine and has outrun entire NFL defenses in a straight line multiple times. TA has great quickness and straight line speed.

And please quote me where he says otherwise.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude, TA ran a 4.2 at the combine and has outrun entire NFL defenses in a straight line multiple times. TA has great quickness and straight line speed.

No he didn't. His fastest 40 was a 4.34 at the Combine.

Athos

Legend

Bro. You're just wrong on this one. Brown, J-Jax, Hilton, OBJ, Sanders, Cooks, and Cobb to name a few, are not big guys.....and can go straight down the field with speed to burn you for a reception. Hells, even throw in Givens.

Austin torched Sherman for a long completion.

Austin has been open downfield a few times.....Foles has missed. Not sure what you aren't seeing.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Usain Bolt can run at 28 MPH. Austin is WAY off of olympic sprinter speeds. Even with his 66 yarder he didn't make the top 5 fastest players this week. Gurley was 2nd on the list at over 21 MPH. Why is this such a big deal? Austin is an incredibly quick athlete, but he's not elite when it comes to top speed. He can't even run sub-11 second 100 meter times. It's not a knock on the guy, it's the truth.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Shorter guys have shorter strides. That's a disadvantage in straight line speed in terms of talking about the fast guy who's 5'8" vs the fast guy who's 6'

RamzFanz

Damnit

I'm not quoting him. It's far too common of a statement by him. Many many times. I'm sure others on here have heard it too. For me it's been on the radio. Don't act like when I say he said it, many times, it's not true.

4.34 - 40. Not 80. Your point is irrelevant as I'm saying he has fast burst and sprint speed.

He has been run down many times and he is almost never open on long passes. Zero separation most of the time.

Regardless, and back to the point, Foles is not going to breadbasket drop it every pass and TA, not being able to get separation downfield consistently, is not the WR Rams should use. It almost always fails. Has he caught a long ball this season? I don't remember one. I remember several attempts, no separation, pass defended.