Gurley is the best back in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Noteworthy for stat geeks like me...
5 games
4 starts
Last 2 games barely played 4th quarter, that the game was safely in hand and we called off the dogs.
I see what you did there :D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
We hit a mother freaking Game 7 of the World Series, bottom of the ninth, down by 3 runs, 2 outs, 3-2 count GRAND SLAM on this pick...

We did that in back to back years with Donald and Gurley.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If he had started the whole year, he would be leading the league in rushing. He's getting close to it anyway now, even after missing several games. We'd be screwed without him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Can we perform a hat trick with some kind of uber receiving talent next draft?

We've found a formula. Pick these athletic freaks who show well on game tape. Donald just happen to destroy workouts too. How he lasted to our pick, I'll never know.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We've found a formula. Pick these athletic freaks who show well on game tape. Donald just happen to destroy workouts too. How he lasted to our pick, I'll never know.

People got hung up on his size, and they were mistaken. Badly and irrevocably mistaken.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think that's a testament to the method of taking the best player available. Fill basic needs in FA and then pick up the athletic freaks in the Draft. I like how it's working out so far

…..

Legend
I'll definitely give kudos to TG3 for the speed and vision on that play, but the blocking on that play was what got me pumped -- unreal execution. Nobody even breathed on him to the endzone.

The blocking stood out to me as well....especially Rob getting out ahead of the play and taking his point of attack 6 yards up field, then imposing his will on a linebacker that had the leverage advantage.. GREAT job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, at what point in his NFL career did we not know that Foles throws a deep ball that needs to be adjusted to and fought for? Saying Foles shouldn't underthrow on a deep ball is like saying a tiger shouldn't have stripes. It's exactly why I wanted him for Britt and Quick, but the WRs aren't getting it done.

That's not for Tavon and, I disagree, he's not fast enough. He's always blanketed on long balls. TA has burst speed, he does not have deep ball speed. HE will tell you this. He was on Hekker's show a few weeks back and couldn't say that Hekker wouldn't outrun him after 40 yards. He's said this himself many times, he's not the fastest guy on the team, he's the quickest in bursts.

Anyways, my point is the same as yours, he's the wrong receiver for that pass. It almost never works. It's the definition of madness just continuing to waste that play call on TA. He's a YAC guy.

Yet we've seen it work in the past. And no, it's not like saying a tiger shouldn't have stripes. A QB's job isn't to under-throw deep balls.

TA has the speed to separate deep. Foles has hit him deep this year. Foles just has to drop it in the bucket.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Dude, at what point in his NFL career did we not know that Foles throws a deep ball that needs to be adjusted to and fought for? Saying Foles shouldn't underthrow on a deep ball is like saying a tiger shouldn't have stripes. It's exactly why I wanted him for Britt and Quick, but the WRs aren't getting it done.

That's not for Tavon and, I disagree, he's not fast enough. He's always blanketed on long balls. TA has burst speed, he does not have deep ball speed. HE will tell you this. He was on Hekker's show a few weeks back and couldn't say that Hekker wouldn't outrun him after 40 yards. He's said this himself many times, he's not the fastest guy on the team, he's the quickest in bursts.

Anyways, my point is the same as yours, he's the wrong receiver for that pass. It almost never works. It's the definition of madness just continuing to waste that play call on TA. He's a YAC guy.
I completely disagree. TA set records in high school and college for 100 meter dashes. He IS the fastest guy on the team. Maybe in the league. We've seen him blow by defenders and have to come back for the ball. It happened twice yesterday. There's not a single defender in the NFL that could run him down.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think that's a testament to the method of taking the best player available. Fill basic needs in FA and then pick up the athletic freaks in the Draft. I like how it's working out so far

Same, I only hope experience will reduce the margin of error.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I completely disagree. TA set records in high school and college for 100 meter dashes. He IS the fastest guy on the team. Maybe in the league. We've seen him blow by defenders and have to come back for the ball. It happened twice yesterday. There's not a single defender in the NFL that could run him down.

Actually, Tavon isn't THAT fast in the 100m. I think his high school best was 11.47. Tavon is more quick than fast. He has incredible burst but not elite top speed. There are other guys on the team that are faster in the 100m.

Athos

Legend
jtVJyKC.gif

Could watch this all day.

Once Todd hits the 2nd level, he's gone.

And good luck to the sad saps trying to tackle him when he's at full boar like a bullet train.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yet we've seen it work in the past. And no, it's not like saying a tiger shouldn't have stripes. A QB's job isn't to under-throw deep balls.

TA has the speed to separate deep. Foles has hit him deep this year. Foles just has to drop it in the bucket.

Foles will never throw a Dan Marino deep ball. Dan Marino didn't throw a Dan Marino deep ball. The receiver has to adjust and highpoint the ball if necessary. It's just how it is. It's his nature and the nature of most deep passes by most QBs. Bruce and Holt made Warner look a lot better at the deep pass than he would look with TA.

You need tall physical receivers for those passes. If TA isn't in the open field, Foles should never throw it to him deep unless it's desperate and going for the PI.

I also thought TA had the speed to separate deep until I didn't. He has a horrible record catching the deep ball or separating after 30 yards. Dude's little legs pumping like Fred Flintstone's make him look faster than he is in a straight line. Just as Gurley's long graceful strides make him look slower.

TA is all YAC in my mind until he proves otherwise. Burst speed that is unfathomable. Slippery. Change of speed and direction that spins defenders to the ground. But straight line? It doesn't work.

RamzFanz

Damnit

See above. I don't agree. TA gets run down in a straight line race all the time. It's his change of speed and direction that keeps him from being tackled.

And more to the point, if Foles can't drop it in the basket every time, then we need to accept that and use them both in their strengths and not try to make them what they aren't.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I will also say this is why I hated that we didn't do this with Givens before we cut him just to see. THAT dude had straight line speed. TA told us he had no shot at keeping up with him after the initial burst.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He's currently #5 in the NFL in rushing yards, #1 in YPG, #1 in rushes of 40+ yards, tied for 2nd in rushes of 20+ yards (behind Bell), 4th in longest individual running play, all while being 17th in attempts.

Wow.

WvuIN02

Starter
Austin almost hit 19 mph on a full sprint, that's insanely fast. He's the best athlete on this team and Foles consistently underthrows him.