Gurley is the best back in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A) You answer as if you can't comprehend a word I've said. Foles will not be leading receivers deep every time. Few QBs can consistently. Perhaps it could get better with timing, but that's NOT who Foles is so throwing to TA deep is an error unless he's open.

I don't expect it to be done every time. Deep balls aren't a high percentage pass. But I don't think 40-50% of the time is too much to ask.

B) In every example you gave, there are players on the field running as fast or faster than TA. TA uses blocking and changes of speed and direction to stay ahead of them.

In the first video, he only has separation because he lept and pushed off and they STILL caught up with him. In the second he was painted by the defender and only caught it because it was a basket catch, which Foles will not make very often that deep.

This is the NFL. There are going to be players on the field as fast as pretty much anyone in the league. Todd Gurley isn't running away from guys with ease either. Austin has shown the ability to rip-off huge plays and outrun guys to the end-zone. Not just once...over 10 times. You have to be very very fast to do that.

I'm not even sure what videos you're talking about. In the catch this year, he got picked up by the deep safety and still got enough separation to allow him to make the catch when Foles put it out in front of him. Point made. You put the ball out in front of Austin and let him run under it, he can make plays. You under-throw it and you gotta hope for DPI.

TA might have 3-4 deep ball pass receptions in his career. It's NOT what he does well compared to all the things he does do well.

He barely had an opportunity to do it before this year. And he's looked pretty darn good at it this year. We're 7 games in and Foles realistically could have hit him on between 3 and 5 deep passes. The top deep ball guys are typically catching between 6-12 40+ yard passes a year. Austin is doing plenty well. Foles just needs to get the timing down and give him a chance to run under it.

Tavon Austin has already told us, so we don't need to guess. He's not only NOT the fastest in the NFL, he's not even the fastest on the Rams. He's not even in the conversation.

Yea, he is in the conversation. There aren't many guys in the NFL that have ripped off a similar number of big plays over the last few years.

WvuIN02 says 19 MPH. I can't find a reference over 18, but either way, that's not fast in the NFL. There are QBs that exceed 21.

Take that fight up with WVU. I don't care about this at all.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Austin has shown the ability to rip-off huge plays and outrun guys to the end-zone. Not just once...over 10 times. You have to be very very fast to do that.

No, you don't have to be very very fast, you can also be elusive and know your strengths. His strengths are elusiveness and burst speed. He will MAKE you slow down or change direction and burst away for 20 yards. It's incredible. He's amazing. Just don't expect him to outrun top corners unless he has a move up his sleeve.

He will tell you the same.

So would Barry Sanders. Another short guy who was slower than TA and ripped off amazing play after amazing play using all the same skills TA has.

You should be proud of who he is and not try to make him something else. Like Foles.

Yea, he is in the conversation. There aren't many guys in the NFL that have ripped off a similar number of big plays over the last few years.

There are tons. Some are top speed fast and some are burst speed and elusive.

Take that fight up with WVU. I don't care about this at all.

Of course you don't. It's the only discussion of his actual speed over distance not based on anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, you don't have to be very very fast, you can also be elusive and know your strengths. His strengths are elusiveness and burst speed. He will MAKE you slow down or change direction and burst away for 20 yards. It's incredible. He's amazing. Just don't expect him to outrun top corners unless he has a move up his sleeve.

He will tell you the same.

So would Barry Sanders. Another short guy who was slower than TA and ripped off amazing play after amazing play using all the same skills TA has.

You should be proud of who he is and not try to make him something else. Like Foles.

Barry Sanders was also fast.

There are tons. Some are top speed fast and some are burst speed and elusive.

Tons of guys that have put up a similar number of long plays as Austin? Okay...who are these "tons" of players?

Of course you don't. It's the only discussion of his actual speed over distance not based on anecdotal evidence.

You're right. I don't. It's a pointless argument. You can't even confirm what the number was, you can't confirm that it is truly Austin's top-end speed, and the numbers you'd be comparing it to don't come from an identical environment. It means nothing to me.

I'm not wasting my time with it. Take it up with someone else.

jjab360

Legend
And Gurley was faster and he never hit full stride.

I counted TA making 5 change of directions and 25 on the niners was faster.
Gurley ran in a straight line pretty much, Tavon like you said was changing directions and throttled down at the end of the run which is why the DB matched stride.

This argument is dumb though, Tavon is clearly a very, very fast player and you keep moving the goal posts without any actual counter-evidence. I'm done here.

Athos

Legend
I don't even know why there's any argument.

Austin has elite acceleration. Long striders take awhile to build speed.

If Foles actually starts seeing Austin breaking open sooner and getting the ball out like he should, Austin should be running under the pass before any defenders can actually catch up.

And like you already said bro....when Austin has the ball in his hands, no one is really going to get a clean mit, if any, on him.

This thread turned stupid in a hurry. :palm:

Hell, I was the biggest Tavon detractor when he was drafted....and I know he has the speed to kill.

Foles has erratic accuracy tho. And why we are going to need a QB upgrade in the future.

Put Tavon on the Packers, and he and Rodgers would be killing folks.

Dawgsfan73

UDFA
Name
JB
Gurley's lower body is ridiculous.

And let's not forget that stiff arm. The guy slips sooo many tackles with it.

funny story about that stiff arm is he never used it in high school. he got to UGA and he was shown by our rb coach just how effective it could be so he started doing it and let's say many SEC defenders wished he didn't learn how effective that was. gurley's hands are also amazing. i can't wait to see us use him in the receiving area as well. much more than we use him now. many people underestimate Gurley's speed for some crazy reason.. he ran track at UGA for goodness sakes.. he can run pretty dang fast.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
funny story about that stiff arm is he never used it in high school. he got to UGA and he was shown by our rb coach just how effective it could be so he started doing it and let's say many SEC defenders wished he didn't learn how effective that was. gurley's hands are also amazing. i can't wait to see us use him in the receiving area as well. much more than we use him now. many people underestimate Gurley's speed for some crazy reason.. he ran track at UGA for goodness sakes.. he can run pretty dang fast.

It also helps that Gurley is 6'1" and some change. He's as tall or taller than most of the guys trying to tackle him so he can use that reach to stiff arm them into the dirt. Shorter backs have a hard time doing that.