Gurley is the best back in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well if you want to be picky, then Gurley's receiving ability isn't even close to the level Bell's at. They are both great RBs and should both be considered top 3 players at there positions. Which one is better is all preference honestly, no doubt tho Gurley's running ability is amazing. Bell at WR is quite impressive at the same time, although it's been tough for him to display his catching ability without Big Ben. Hopefully he'll rebound from his MCL quick, the dude is a stud.

Did you even watch Gurley's Sophomore year? He had more receiving yards that year than Bell had in ANY year he played in college and Todd missed 4 games that year. He also had more receiving TDs in that year than Bell had in his entire college career. He is a way better receiver than y'all think he is because y'all haven't seen him utilized in the passing game much. When he was the only offense UGA had in 2013 we did everything possible to get him the ball. If you ever meet Todd look at his hands. He has some freaking bear claws. Guy could catch a bowling ball.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Le'Veon Bell and TGII are the top 2. They just run and play differently.

LB will just stay behind the line for a couple seconds then fly right by you. TGII will run you over in the process.

RamsFan14

Starter
Did you even watch Gurley's Sophomore year? He had more receiving yards that year than Bell had in ANY year he played in college and Todd missed 4 games that year. He also had more receiving TDs in that year than Bell had in his entire college career. He is a way better receiver than y'all think he is because y'all haven't seen him utilized in the passing game much. When he was the only offense UGA had in 2013 we did everything possible to get him the ball. If you ever meet Todd look at his hands. He has some freaking bear claws. Guy could catch a bowling ball.

No I did not watch Gurley's sophomore year in college, but for now I still stand by my comments. Bell has proven he can handle the catching role in the NFL, which is a big deal. Does that mean Gurley can't do what Bell does? No, perhaps with time maybe we'll see that side. I sure as hell hope Gurley can be a scary RB catching the football, if anything with more learning, he'll be a duel threat. But to say Bell isn't on Gurley's level? Eh, too soon for me. Keep proving it, then I'll label you number 1. The fact Gurley's being discussed as a top 5, top 3 RB is already impressive in itself.

WvuIN02

Starter

We all get the mancrush, but no need to denigrate another great player just to say someone's better. Bell led the NCAA with yards after contact (over 1,000) the year he came out, and to have the single season yards from scrimmage record in his second year for a storied franchise like Pittsburgh.....that's pretty good too.

Let's just suffice it to say he's looking the part and Gurley is already in elite status.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No I did not watch Gurley's sophomore year in college, but for now I still stand by my comments. Bell has proven he can handle the catching role in the NFL, which is a big deal. Does that mean Gurley can't do what Bell does? No, perhaps with time maybe we'll see that side. I sure as hell hope Gurley can be a scary RB catching the football, if anything with more learning, he'll be a duel threat. But to say Bell isn't on Gurley's level? Eh, too soon for me. Keep proving it, then I'll label you number 1. The fact Gurley's being discussed as a top 5, top 3 RB is already impressive in itself.

Fair enough, just know that you are vastly underrating Gurley's receiving abilities. I watched every college play he ever took part in and he's got some soft hands and is a smooth route runner. It's much easier to catch balls out of the backfield when everyone on the other team is focusing on Antonio Brown, Bryant, and Big Ben's ability to escape the pocket. Not taking anything away from Bell, but he does have a great supporting cast on offense.

Just to make it clear, I think Bell is clearly a better receiver than Todd. But the gap isn't as big as some think. I respect Le'Veon a lot and it sucks he's out for the year.

RamsFan14

Starter
Fair enough, just know that you are vastly underrating Gurley's receiving abilities. I watched every college play he ever took part in and he's got some soft hands and is a smooth route runner. It's much easier to catch balls out of the backfield when everyone on the other team is focusing on Antonio Brown, Bryant, and Big Ben's ability to escape the pocket. Not taking anything away from Bell, but he does have a great supporting cast on offense.

Just to make it clear, I think Bell is clearly a better receiver than Todd. But the gap isn't as big as some think. I respect Le'Veon a lot and it sucks he's out for the year.

Hey man, Gurley might be a better RB catching out of the backfield then Bell down the line, I'm just finding all kind of excuses right now haha. Love Gurley and all, but I can't just say he's the best RB in the NFL after 4 starts, would feel like such a homer saying that so early lol. He's an impressive runner, that's forsure. I'm just giving Bell the love I think he deserves, doesn't mean Gurley can't pass by him soon :sneaky:. And honestly I'm not too familiar with Gurley's catching ability (I hear he has good hands), so you may very well be right. I'm just going by what I've seen in the NFL so far, if that makes sense.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Now the OL had perfect blocks on the play. But just when you wanna take some thunder from Gurley Mason/Cunningham steps in and everything drops off. This isn't a knock on Mason/Benny at all. They are solid options. TG3II is just that good. Amazing!

jap

Legend
Now the OL had perfect blocks on the play. But just when you wanna take some thunder from Gurley Mason/Cunningham steps in and everything drops off. This isn't a knock on Mason/Benny at all. They are solid options. TG3II is just that good. Amazing!

Tre & Benny are hard effort guys, but they lack the vision, the incredible balance, the speed, the sheer brute strength (which is saying a lot because Benny is a beast in his own right!), and the quickness. I have seen TGII get knocked for not having as much wiggle as other top backs, and I respectfully disagree. TGII's wiggle is very subtle as in the way he can bend & contort his body to avoid hits/grabs by opponents while moving at top speed. Combined with his amazing balance and Herculean strength that subtle wiggle makes for a pretty impressive overall package! The kid has thighs the size of NFL linemen: I wouldn't want to touch those thunder thighs when they are pumping at top speed. I saw SJ break a 'Frisco CB's arm with his thigh when running through an arm tackle his rookie season, and the Gurley Man's thighs look bigger and stronger than SJ's!

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Tre & Benny are hard effort guys, but they lack the vision, the incredible balance, the speed, the sheer brute strength (which is saying a lot because Benny is a beast in his own right!), and the quickness. I have seen TGII get knocked for not having as much wiggle as other top backs, and I respectfully disagree. TGII's wiggle is very subtle as in the way he can bend & contort his body to avoid hits/grabs by opponents while moving at top speed. Combined with his amazing balance and Herculean strength that subtle wiggle makes for a pretty impressive overall package! The kid has thighs the size of NFL linemen: I wouldn't want to touch those thunder thighs when they are pumping at top speed. I saw SJ break a 'Frisco CB's arm with his thigh when running through an arm tackle his rookie season, and the Gurley Man's thighs look bigger and stronger than SJ's!

Gurley's lower body is ridiculous.

And let's not forget that stiff arm. The guy slips sooo many tackles with it.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
jtVJyKC.gif
[/QUOTEun.....]
Our white guys on the line flat got it done on that big run...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

On the red zone channel today the guy was talking about how all the players have a microchip in their pads that monitors their speed during a game. Gurley was the 2nd fastest on the day. And the only rb on the list.

I'm pretty sure it happened on that run.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even with Foles throwing a couple of "what was that" and a couple of "why did he hold it", the WRs catch what they are expected to catch and the passing game was very good today. Pass protection and some great throws. I just don't know what has happened to our WRs. Even Bailey had a drop.

I want Quick back to replace TA on those long balls. It almost never works. He's too short and he's not fast enough long distance.

Disagree. TA is fast enough but Foles has a tendency to under-throw the deep ball. If he had delivered the deep ball to TA that he threw to Britt (over the shoulder) on the play where Reid interfered with him (and wasn't called), it would have been a TD. But you can't under-throw TA. He's not going to out-muscle a defender for the ball. That's what Quick or Britt are there to do.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the way Gurley just hits that hole and is gone :)(y)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Disagree. TA is fast enough but Foles has a tendency to under-throw the deep ball. If he had delivered the deep ball to TA that he threw to Britt (over the shoulder) on the play where Reid interfered with him (and wasn't called), it would have been a TD. But you can't under-throw TA. He's not going to out-muscle a defender for the ball. That's what Quick or Britt are there to do.

Dude, at what point in his NFL career did we not know that Foles throws a deep ball that needs to be adjusted to and fought for? Saying Foles shouldn't underthrow on a deep ball is like saying a tiger shouldn't have stripes. It's exactly why I wanted him for Britt and Quick, but the WRs aren't getting it done.

That's not for Tavon and, I disagree, he's not fast enough. He's always blanketed on long balls. TA has burst speed, he does not have deep ball speed. HE will tell you this. He was on Hekker's show a few weeks back and couldn't say that Hekker wouldn't outrun him after 40 yards. He's said this himself many times, he's not the fastest guy on the team, he's the quickest in bursts.

Anyways, my point is the same as yours, he's the wrong receiver for that pass. It almost never works. It's the definition of madness just continuing to waste that play call on TA. He's a YAC guy.

DenverRam

Starter
On the red zone channel today the guy was talking about how all the players have a microchip in their pads that monitors their speed during a game. Gurley was the 2nd fastest on the day. And the only rb on the list.

I'm pretty sure it happened on that run.

ye and he has been getting faster every week. up to 21.8 mph. Been gaining about 2 mph per game.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Noteworthy for stat geeks like me...
5 games
4 starts
Last 2 games barely played 4th quarter, that the game was safely in hand and we called off the dogs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PFT agrees with @NateDawg122.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/02/nfl-morning-after-a-wonderful-awful-sunday/

Todd Gurley is the NFL’s most fun young star. Gurley, the Rams’ rookie running back, has started four games. In those four games he has rushed for 146, 159, 128 and 133 yards. So far in the NFL this season, starting running backs have gained 128 or more yards in about 7 percent of all games. Gurley is doing it 100 percent of the time.

Gurley’s 566 yards in his first four starts are the most for any player in his first four starts. Gurley is averaging 141.5 yards a start; in Jim Brown’s best year, 1963, he averaged 133.1 yards a start. Gurley is the best running back in the NFL right now, and he’s only 21 years old. He’s going to be fun to watch for years.