Greg Robinson playing Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Our OL coach will sort everything out. If Havenstein is injured or healthy and all I ask is the VERY BEST PLAYERS are the ones STARTING when the whistle blows. We won't force Grob to play if others are better in practice and it will be obvious in Pre-season games who is the better players. If the expensive GRob experiment does'nt work out at ORT then we try him at OG then we will give up on the experiment if He is not a better player then the next man up. I hope Havenstein gets totally healthy and picks up where he left off after his rookie year at ORT allowing NO SACKS!!!

I'm sure Kromer will want his BEST five on the field and have the freedom to make the decision as we don't " HAVE TO " make anyone fit where we have someone better to protect Goff and make holes for Gurley. Everyone needs to RELAX and not take every word McVay says now as how things will work out. We can just speculate till we see who lines up healthy in August. Lots will have happened before we arrive at our starting 5. We will have a hopefull FA center and hopefully OL rookies and even UDFA offensive linemen that will get a shot to compete. Miles to go men. I think we can be optimistic from what nightmare we saw last season. GO RAMS!!!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
raw
12345.0.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will agree with our new HC McVay & in fact I have been saying GRob best chance to make an impact here as a Ram in the last season in his rookie contract would be Right Tackle not OG. Since it appears that the rather large 6-5 332 pound Rodger Saffold has survived being a cap casualty thus far & would seem to be cemented on the left side @ OG again. Plus there lefty 6-4 324 pound Jamon Brown to back the often injured Saffold up. Center who knows but I would imagine a Kromer guy will show up along with a draft prospect. I would bet he is at least 6-5 & over 320 pounds.

The right side is much less certain at this point. The RT post in 2016 was one big problem just like the LT was but for a total different reason.... a very Unhealthy Havenstein. The consideration of a 6-7 321 pound Havenstein @ RG if GRob works out is not too far out there.....Rams had a 6-7 RG in 2014 & 2015 named Garrett Reynolds. Harvey Dahl was 6-6 315 pounds @ RG, There have been some very tall OG's have been been outstanding like the 6-8 315 pound Alex Boone or the 6-6 315 Kyle Long or 6-7 Geoff Schwarts. Late last season a over 6-6 Andrew Donnal finished game 11 for near 6-6 320 pound Cody Wichmann as the starter & remained a starter till the end of the season.

tbux

Rookie
Grob issues are mostly mental IMO- he has quick feet for his size. Hav not so much. Good move. Benefit is a QB can see clearly when RT gets beat- not LT. GR can only get better with a new Oline coach.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I want to be at the forced center practice for all players not in starting positions. Please tell me that is not the plan. I admit it won't take much to improve over the much loved efforts of C. Barnes . It also won't be smart to start Toth,Elflein or Pocic in their rookie years either. All need a year seasoning (aka NFL weightroom,diet & filmroom and REPS out the arse) they may have played 4 years with no injuries but we got fooled before by the great BAMA BUST who played every position on the OL and won 3 college National Titles and could NEVER put it together after attacks from Lis Franc and Back injuries. Raw is raw.

I'm guessing the Jets FA Center Mangold wants more than a one year contract. Thats all we need though. Mangold 33 is quite a risk after his injuries started last season and we been down that injured high priced FA center road before just recently before Barnes. If we had collected this extra cap room before today could we have signed Tretter too? Well lets hope Wichman saves the day and fills out our beefy OL at Center we been hoping for for 3 years now. He would save us an early draft pick we need for so many other positions.

I also hear our new 35 year old OLT only practices once a week. Thats all he did for the Bengals. Someone will have to take the reps and do tons of practicing while he watches and hopefully critiques and helps Kromer coach up this bunch. Just another hurdle we will have to adjust too in having this older vet start for us and protect the #BLINDSIDE.

tbux

Rookie
From the moves made so far- I am confident we will end up with a more than capable C.

Ram65

Legend
Kyle Long has been a successful OG at 6'6" so Havenstein is just a little taller.

At this point I'm all in on Kromer and McVay figuring out who plays where. Don't know if Hav's injured ankle set him back last year or not. He did well his rookie year. If they get a good center to replace Barnes the line will improve with LT Whitworth a big upgrade. Now. let them find out who can fill the rest of the line. I don't care who plays where. I want to see an all around solid offensive line for a change.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chris+long's+brother&oq=chris+long's+brothjer&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9211j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=kyle+long's+brother&*

Kyle Howard Long is an American football guard for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League. He played college football for the University of Oregon. Long was drafted by the Bears in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Wikipedia

Born: December 5, 1988 (age 28 years), Ivy, Virginia, VA
Height: 6′ 6″
Current team: Chicago Bears (#75 / Guard)
School: University of Oregon
Parents: Howie Long, Diane Addonizio
Siblings: Chris Long, Howard Long, Jr.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They will start GRob off at RT but he'll suck and they'll move him inside. IMO Havenstein will kick his butt in camp as long as he's healthy. Either way, whoever is moved to OG will end up being depth, of that I am sure because Saffold and Brown will be the starting guards.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Well, I think the goal is to give GROB less to think about and maybe they feel Havenstein can make the adjustment easier than GROB. Not a big deal because if that fails then they can easily slide Havenstein back outside.

Then move him inside.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...I hope this isn't set in stone. Robinson on an island is going to struggle regardless, whereas a healthy Havenstein has proven he can be succesful at that position. I also think Havenstein can be succesful at G but hopefully GRob isn't just being handed the job, he'll have have to compete and be evaluated accordingly.

That's basically the only difference between LT and RT in today's NFL. The RT is often given help. The LT is often on an island.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm glad we are not giving up on GRob but I don't understand messing with Hav. He has been on of the few lineman to do his job and now you move him....

Robinson is more athletic IMO and seems like a better fit than Hav to play guard
Agree 100%
Hav played well at RT when healthy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Then again with all this OLine talk...if i'm HC i'm still not penciling Saffold in as a starter. No way. Develop someone younger who can stay on the field.
Saffold is my overpaid sixth man. First off the bench.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm amazed how many people want to take the statistically worst tackle in all of football and plug him right back into our lineup when we find his replacement.

Is the goal to get better than dead last in offense or not? Seriously.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It looks like they're fixing our o-line head on - I seem to remember LeCharles Bentley mentioning last year that moving GRob to guard would just give him more rules to get used to which wouldn't help his gameplay. Maybe Havenstein will be able to cope better inside..

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm amazed how many people want to take the statistically worst tackle in all of football and plug him right back into our lineup when we find his replacement.

Is the goal to get better than dead last in offense or not? Seriously.

I really do not think that the Plug In @ RT is the end of this story . You are correct you don't just take one of the most problematic LT's in football last season & say your moving from the left side of the tracks & moving to the right side of the tracks to RT...... problem fixed & move on.

I took it this way ....your no longer our starting LT & if you will work real hard know your assignments, know what to do & do it consistently & you can do it better than all the others RT's playmates we have .....you can get your toys & play RT on Sundays. if not you will be our 10th or 11th Ram OL'er.

McVay & Kromer were smart to keep interim Head coach Fassel. One of the many benefits is they got the entire full nasty inside load on what GRob has or has not done the last three seasons. Fassel himself made strong statements last season that GRob needed a change of posts & intended to bench GRob for the remaining 2016 season if not for the RT Havenstein & Donnal serious injuries. GRob got very lucky in that situation.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Confirms what I've thought for a while, Havenstien is slow footed and stiff, he'll be better suited inside.

I just watched McVay's comments. He actually said they are going to let Greg try to play ORT and have Havenstein at Guard. If it doesn't work they will switch Robbie back outside and move Greg inside. So, it doesn't seem to be written in stone. If Greg doesn't work out at ORT and gets moved to Guard, I would move him to left guard and have Saffold play on the right. For one Saffold had his best season as a RG. Secondly that would give both Havenstien and Robinson a vet alongside of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coach please expand on "Why" you like Havenstein moving inside!?! Thanks!

6'7 guard now maybe it will be GROB at RG, however, I like Havenstein at RG for running the football getting that push that the Rams seem to struggle with last season. Protection on the left and running right no excuses this season.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Unless McVay commented on Robinson's position move after his presser I think many reporters misinterpreted McVay's comments. This is the excerpt word for word:

What does this addition mean for Greg Robinson, is he going to switch positions?

"Right now the plan is Andrew's gonna be our left tackle and we'll give Greg an opportunity to play on the right side. I think that will be a good opportunity for Greg to go to that right side, he and... we'll see how Havenstein is able to do, if we allow him to play guard and tackle; and you know we feel fortunate to have some depth inside with Rodger Saffold and Jamon Brown, and Andrew Donnal played a lot of snaps last year. So we've got some guys on this roster that have some position flex, but being able to get an Andrew Whitworth, he knows what its like, he's played the game at a Pro Bowl-caliber level at that left tackle position will give us some flexibility to put Greg on the right side and see how he does there."

I see no specific mention of Greg being locked in at right tackle. If anything McVay only alluded to them trying him out at both positions on the right side.

Last edited: