Greg Robinson playing Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well, I think the goal is to give GROB less to think about and maybe they feel Havenstein can make the adjustment easier than GROB. Not a big deal because if that fails then they can easily slide Havenstein back outside.

Not sure how this is going to work. IF GROB is too confused at the Left Tackle position defenses will just play more games and stunts wherever he is located. Left side/right side doesn't make a difference if you can't figure the defense and follow the line calls and know who to block and who to not block.

I think it is a myth that the left side is all that much different from the right. DCs just attack the weak link And in this case that is GROB all day long.......

WHAT SAY YE?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Confirms what I've thought for a while, Havenstien is slow footed and stiff, he'll be better suited inside.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay so this makes the Whitworth signing even better. We tend to forget that Robinson has only played tackle for 3 years in the pros and one year in college. Maybe moving him out to the right for the next three years and trying him again at left when Whitworth retires is the plan

Psycho_X

Legend
That is a lot of beef on the line that's for sure. I'm not sure Grob will fair any better on the right side with how bad he whiffs at times but i guess at least Goff will see them coming now before he gets hit lol. But the run blocking potential will be nice.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like the move. Hav will have some exp at both positions now and Grob can help himself out by quickly learning the right side. Plus Grob has always struggled with speed rushers and he'll be facing less speed rushers on the right side.
I also wouldn't take anything McVay says at this point to the bank, it's mostly speculation until they get on the field.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm glad we are not giving up on GRob but I don't understand messing with Hav. He has been on of the few lineman to do his job and now you move him....

Robinson is more athletic IMO and seems like a better fit than Hav to play guard

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Hopefully they are smart enough to see that Robinson doesn't have the feet to play tackle. He would be a good guard and thats all he ever should of been.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Why not? I like it! He's big and can get one heck of a push, huge upgrade over the others IMHO. Not sure how he would do pulling, but I need to see it.
If he is athletic enough to play tackle, pulling should be no problem.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
To be more specific McVay said they would cross train Hav and see if he can play guard. IMO Right side still up in the air. Donnal, Hav, Brown, G-Rob all in the mix for those 2 spots.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we could land Nick Mangold on a one year contract, that would be ideal for completing this OL unit. Then add Elflein with our 3'rd rounder ...

HellRam

Starter
Yeah put me in the club that's not a big fan of this. Lots of movement on the line.

Havestien his rookie year gave up zero sacks along with zero penalties. I've read on here he's overrated, IMO if anything he's underrated. Thats incredible production as a rookie.

As for Robinson, we'll see. Still don't think he candle handle DE's with any speed or quality moves. 7 sacks in 14 games last year sums it up for me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well, I think the goal is to give GROB less to think about and maybe they feel Havenstein can make the adjustment easier than GROB. Not a big deal because if that fails then they can easily slide Havenstein back outside.
I'm hoping the game of musical linemen is over.
Injuries and underachievement have set us back long enough.
If Hav can play G at a high level, I'm for it though. As long as Grob can grasp RT, of course.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Probably backup to Havenstein
LOL:rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

I think it is a myth that the left side is all that much different from the right.
It's not a myth, but it's not as set in stone as it once was. The left side of the offense is known as a right-handed QB's blindside. So defenses usually loaded up pressure packages over there. I'd agree that RT's in today's NFL need to be as...athletic as LT's....because many teams have dangerous R-DE's. We had Long over there...You can see why defenses would want instant pressure from the backside, don't you? Similarly, the offenses on the right, usually focus a lot of passes in that direction. So the L-CB was usually the teams strongest corner. Not as set in stone, but this was where this thinking arose.

I hate to say I told you so....BUT EYE TOLE EWE SEW!!!!! (my ode to a great ramfan, Jswirb)

Greg Robinson has tackle skills...Frankly, Havenstein doesn't. Not the power....not the quickness. I'm surprised he's finally moved to guard. I saw a rating service...that had him listed as a possible guard in the NFL
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...iew-versatile-linemen-middle-rounds/26327871/
Havenstein (6-foot-7, 321 pounds) is projected as a right tackle, but there are some who believe he could develop as a guard.
....and I remember telling a ROD member in here...and he of course wanted proof...my google skills weren't as tight then...so I couldn't then..McVay is my proof. I don't know what type of guard he'll be either...In fact, I expect us to draft a Center and Guard in this draft...late....development guard....starting Center...I doubt his lower body issues just automatically disappear.
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...tential-patriots-wisconsin-ot-rob-havenstein/
Havenstein has some hip, joint and knee stiffness that impedes some of his bending abilities, which could really start affecting him once in the NFL.
Lets hope Kromer is as good as advertised. For Goff's sake, lets hope we have 5 healthy bodies in front of him. I fully expect to see G-Rob as our highest rated lineman....pff be damned....but it's how the entire unit performs that will be the key to success.

One thing I'll add, QB's throw through the lanes...the passing lanes created by a sound pocket. No one throws OVER the linemen....now, finding receivers is another subject entirely. LOL