Greg Robinson playing Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
McVay has yet to see them live on the grass. I think it's important to remember that.

Now I want you guys to imagine GRob playing at RT in space. What makes anyone think he is suddenly going to start playing well in space? That ship has sailed for me dudes, and I'll believe it when I see it. More likely is he'll go out there and start grabbing and lunging, and Kromer's head will explode and he'll move him to OG.

So at this point what McVay says is immaterial. He's just spitballing right now with the press and it means very little other than the fact that things are gonna be wide open.
Right. All I'm saying is that McVay did in fact say that Robinson will be trying the RT spot. Whatever happens happens, the coaches will start whomever they feel is the best player at each position. RT isn't like LT.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
WTH....Whitworth, Saffold, Mangold, Havenstein, Robinson...Everybody wants to move GROB to Guard, he will play RT with Big Rob holding down RG and the Rams running right more often than Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Not seeing Mangold as our C, den.

I doubt they sign him, tbh.

Age and injury have robbed him of his former great skills. Plus, at best, he would be a short term and expensive rental.

I think a Groy type is much more likely.

Or a draft pick.

As to the Hav at RG and GRob at RT? Like you, I trust Kromer. And I mean a lot.

But I still have to see it work effectively with my own eyes before I'm fully won over.

For now, I'm with Merlin. Brown at RG and Hav at RT.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I definitely agree to the idea that LT is the only set position on the line. I'm excited to see what Kromer and competition will bring out of these young guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right. All I'm saying is that McVay did in fact say that Robinson will be trying the RT spot. Whatever happens happens, the coaches will start whomever they feel is the best player at each position. RT isn't like LT.

Not disagreeing here Shovel. But in today's NFL if you have GRob at even RT teams are going to move their best DE over and get a great matchup. To play RT you gotta be able to move well and hold up in space or you're a liability. GRob has the talent and I am hopeful for him, but he's been so bad in space I just can't imagine him doing well there.

Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Not disagreeing here Shovel. But in today's NFL if you have GRob at even RT teams are going to move their best DE over and get a great matchup. To play RT you gotta be able to move well and hold up in space or you're a liability. GRob has the talent and I am hopeful for him, but he's been so bad in space I just can't imagine him doing well there.

Hope I'm wrong, I really do.
Oh definitely. I'm not saying RT is a cakewalk by any means, it's likely GRob would struggle less there though. RT's usually have the benefit of TE who could help. I too have my doubts on if Robinson could transition to the right effectively, he's been slow to develop thus far. The idea does excite me though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not seeing Mangold as our C, den.

Was a quick response, I would be pleased if they signed someone like Ryan "Yorg" Groy to an offer sheet that the Bills could not match, with Aaron Kromer's blessing of course. Groy 27 could be the center for many years to come and fits my short surname request at that position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I took McVay's comments that he and Havenstein would compete at RT and they'd also look at Hav at RG. We'll see what happens.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not a fan of Robinson at any tackle spot. I bet havenstein will be a nice guard though
Trying to solve two shortcomings with one move.
Grob not facing top pass rushers might help....although nothing is helping him until his balance issues are addressed.
Havenstein cannot stay in front of pass rushers. Fast guys run right around him.
His size and power will be an advantage only if he can play with leverage. That can be an issue for a guy that big who can appear a bit stiff. Can he play with enough bend inside? First step quickness? We shall see.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That's not exactly the same as the other quote I saw, but same gist...The other one said (I think) we'll try him (or start him out at) at RT...Maybe that quote was not exactly right...Guess it doesn't matter, they're going to do what they think is best...Obviously nothing will be set in stone for quite a while...
In the presser McVay said both quotes. You know how the press likes to ask the same questions more than once. The "starting point" quote was a clarification of the first quote.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Grob not facing top pass rushers might help....although nothing is helping him until his balance issues are addressed.
Havenstein cannot stay in front of pass rushers. Fast guys run right around him.
His size and power will be an advantage only if he can play with leverage. That can be an issue for a guy that big who can appear a bit stiff. Can he play with enough bend inside? First step quickness? We shall see.
It was brought to my attention that left tackles tend to take their guys one on one while everyone else gets a little help. If that's the case then I'd like to see Robinson at RT. also think he can learn from Whitworth for a few years

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
The problem is that rams24/7 didn't read or post the entire transcript. I'm not going to post the entire transcript either, but I will provide evidence and the link to the full transcript.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/3/10/14890882/transcript-la-rams-sean-mcvay-robert-woods-andrew-whitworth-2017-nfl-free-agency

(On the adjustment Greg Robinson is facing moving to the right side)

“It’s certainly a challenge. That’s one of the things you appreciate about a swing tackle – those guys that can play both on the left and the right. You go back and you look at what Jamon Brown was doing at Louisville, he was a strong tackle at Louisville, where he’s playing on the right and the left side. I think it’s more just getting a comfort level of working in his stance. We talked to Greg yesterday and told him about our plans and he’s up for the challenge. When you’re doing some of your drills, just get comfortable playing right-footed, with that right-handed stance as opposed to that left. And I think that’s something that he’ll immediately be able to work on, just get comfortable with that muscle memory. I think that’s something, with his athleticism, we feel confident that he’ll be able to make that transition.”

(On if Robinson seemed accepting when they spoke to him)

“Absolutely, Greg was great. I think it’s very important, like we talked about, with that communication. When you’re fortunate enough to bring Andrew Whitworth in the building, I think it’s important to let your players know where they stand and how that affects them and those guys upfront. It was important for us to communicate what the plan is. Every day is an evaluation, so we’re looking at that, but you have to have a starting point and the starting point is we’re going to give Greg a chance to play at that right tackle spot and see where we go from there.”
I watched and listened to the entire presser. Don't suggest that I did something when you don't know that as fact. He also said in the transcript I wrote that Havenstein will compete for that spot as well. It sounds like there's a two man competition on the right side between GRob and Hav, what I'm saying is that we shouldn't assume GRob is our RT in March, because Hav was never ruled out either and he is the incumbent RT starter.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I watched and listened to the entire presser. Don't suggest that I did something when you don't know that as fact. He also said in the transcript I wrote that Havenstein will compete for that spot as well. It sounds like there's a two man competition on the right side between GRob and Hav, what I'm saying is that we shouldn't assume GRob is our RT in March, because Hav was never ruled out either and he is the incumbent RT starter.
I didn't mean to offend you. The fact remains the same, you still neglected the part in the transcript saying RT will be the starting point for GRob, which can be misleading. Of course he's not locked in at RT, but he's getting a chance which says something. Yes, there will be a competition, it could be more than 2 people, no one knows at this point. All we know from McVay has said is that Whitworth is the LT and Grob will tryout on the right side, RT being the starting point. Other than that the lineup is a mystery. We'll all know who's locked in as starters come Week 1.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Just keep in mind that the reason guys ran around Hav was that he had a busted wheel and played through injury.

When he's right, guys don't run around him. So, that's something to consider.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Oh definitely. I'm not saying RT is a cakewalk by any means, it's likely GRob would struggle less there though. RT's usually have the benefit of TE who could help. I too have my doubts on if Robinson could transition to the right effectively, he's been slow to develop thus far. The idea does excite me though.
You Can't Trust Greg Robinson: it's too difficult to switch sides and retain the same level of play at either side; footwork, hands, protections are all opposite of what you're used to. Imagine switching and having to push someone to the right after you'd built your whole career using your footwork and strength to leverage them to the left

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You Can't Trust Greg Robinson: it's too difficult to switch sides and retain the same level of play at either side; footwork, hands, protections are all opposite of what you're used to. Imagine switching and having to push someone to the right after you'd built your whole career using your footwork and strength to leverage them to the left
I'm guessing he'll get one snap at RT to appease the media, then move permanently to RG. :fuelfire:

fearsomefour

Legend
Just keep in mind that the reason guys ran around Hav was that he had a busted wheel and played through injury.

When he's right, guys don't run around him. So, that's something to consider.
He was not right last year for sure. Guys got the edge on him his rookie year too....he was able to push them around the pocket which was affective. It's a half a step thing. If the competition at RT last into preseason it will be interesting to watch.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I get that, but as a right-handed person I feel like working at Rt would be easier; for me. My dominant side is on the outside. Yes he's switching sides and positions, but they are objectively easier pass blocking positions, and will be working with a proven oline coach and offensive system, it's not unreal to think he could be a better player at RT than LT.

Bottom line: the coaching staff is willing to give him a chance on the right side. If he bombs he sits on the bench and better players start. There really isn't an issue here. An open competition. I don't see McVay as the stubborn type like Fisher. He also didn't draft Robinson so he has no motive to try and make him work. This is a good thing for the Rams.

jap

Legend

He has the whole off-season to work on the switch to the starboard side. It's not like it hasn't been done in a single off-season before. Beetlejuice has done it!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.Whitworth, Saffold, Mangold, Havenstein, Robinson...Everybody wants to move GROB to Guard, he will play RT with Big Rob holding down RG and the Rams running right more often than Ronald Wilson Reagan.
I like it....so much I won't correct it....
But mine is a little different
Whitworth-Saffold-Mangold/other dude from Buff-BROWN-Robinson

Also, improvement of Havenstien. Is it a health concern or playing ability?
Probably a little of both. RT was as bad a problem as ANY on the line last year.

Now I want you guys to imagine GRob playing at RT in space. What makes anyone think he is suddenly going to start playing well in space?
Hmmmm

Also and while I'm thinking about it, Saffold's natural position IMO is RT.
Hmmmmm
I got a tweet here...shows ONE play...and one play does not a season make....in it, they are commenting about Gurley's pass blocking....but look who allows the sack...and look who's feet are "mirroring" his opponent.

View: https://twitter.com/RSmithNFL/status/837052852900081665

Notice who's feet are crossing on the right side???Foot busted then? Where's his "kick slide" step? Again, one play....not trying to bash Havenstein....but look who's technique appears correct?
Notice who's arms are extended perfectly on the left side.
I know...one play...hell, I'm looking at Saffold too...pitiful...
all positions should be open...
and I really think we grab a rookie center to run this unit.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/los_angeles_rams_reveal_plan_f.html
Los Angeles Rams reveal plan for Greg Robinson
By Mark Inabinett
When Los Angeles signed Andrew Whitworth in NFL free agency last week, the Rams got not only a new left offensive tackle, but a new right offensive tackle, too. The new right offensive tackle is Los Angeles' old left offensive tackle - Greg Robinson.

The Rams selected Robinson out of Auburn with the second choice in the 2014 NFL Draft. But having Robinson protect its quarterback's blind side, like most things in the franchise's past decade or so, hasn't worked out the way that Los Angeles hoped it would.

The Rams' offense has finished last in the NFL in yards gained in each of Robinson's three NFL seasons. In 46 NFL games, Robinson has been called for penalties 42 times, including 27 times for holding. He finished second in the NFL for offensive-holding penalties in 2016 after leading the league in 2015.

With the Rams investing the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft in California quarterback Jared Goff, one of the first players off the board when free agency started last week was Whitworth. After 11 years as a starter for the Cincinnati Bengals, including three Pro Bowl seasons and one All-Pro campaign, Whitworth left for a three-year, $33.75 million contractwith the Rams that included $15 million in guaranteed money.

Whitworth is the major piece of an offensive-line overhaul that could leave only left guard Roger Saffold in place as Los Angeles tries to improve on 2016's 4-12 showing, the Rams' 13th straight non-winning season.

New Los Angeles coach Sean McVay revealed the Rams' plans during a Friday press conference.

"Right now, the plan is Andrew's going to be our left tackle, and we'll give Greg an opportunity to play on the right side," McVay said. "I think that'll be a good opportunity for Greg to go to that right side, and we'll see how (Rob) Havenstein is able to do if we allow him to play guard and tackle. You feel fortunate because you've got some depth inside with Roger Saffold and Jamon Brown, and Andrew Donnal played a lot of snaps last year. So we've got some guys on this roster that have some position flex, but being able to get an Andrew Whitworth -- he knows what it's like, he's played the game at a Pro Bowl-caliber level at that left-tackle position -- will give us the flexibility to put Greg on the right side and see how he does there."

Last season, the Rams' regular offensive-line alignment had Robinson at left tackle, Saffold at left guard, Tim Barnes at center, Cody Wichmann at right guard and Havenstein at right tackle. Barnes has been released, even though he was the only one of the players to appear in every game in 2016.

Los Angeles doesn't have a ready replacement for Barnes, but the Rams appear to want the offensive line to have Whitworth and Saffold on the left and Robinson and Havenstein on the right.

"Every day is an evaluation," McVay said, "but you've got to have a starting point. And the starting point is we're going to give Greg a chance to play at that right-tackle spot and see where we go from there."

McVay said the Rams thought Robinson would handle the switch in sides just fine.

"It's certainly a challenge," McVay said. "That's one of the things you appreciate about a swing tackle, those guys that can play both on the left and the right. ... I think it's more just getting a comfort level of working in his stance. We talked to Greg (Thursday) and told him about our plans. He's up for the challenge. So when you're doing some of your drills, just get comfortable playing with that right-handed stance as opposed to that left and I think that's something he'll immediately be able to work on. Just get comfortable with that muscle memory, and I think that's something with his athleticism, we feel confident he'll be able to make that transition."

Whitworth said he hopes "to be a rock and a foundation for this team," and McVay said having the veteran tackle would help as the Rams remodel their offensive line.

"He's a pro's pro," McVay said. "Knows what it looks like. I think he'll be a great example for a lot of these young up-and-coming linemen that we feel really good about, and being able to bring him in for what he'll be able to offer in the meeting room and on the grass as far as just the way that he prepares week in and week out, I think will be a great example for the rest of those guys."

Last edited: