Greg Robinson playing Right Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You guys....sheesh. Statistically??? Our you talking about holding? Penalties??
All need a year seasoning (aka NFL weightroom,diet & filmroom and REPS out the arse) they may have played 4 years with no injuries but we got fooled before by the great BAMA BUST who played every position on the OL and won 3 college National Titles and could NEVER put it together after attacks from Lis Franc and Back injuries. Raw is raw.
Bama teams are loaded...it's very easy to play effectively in college if every other player next to you is basically pro talent. If you saw Barrett at the combine that year, he looked very....average.
Toth has had to block several future pros....some possible all-pros, his entire 4 year career.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jon-toth/

I'm not as high on Eflein....

They will start GRob off at RT but he'll suck and they'll move him inside. IMO Havenstein will kick his butt in camp as long as he's healthy.
Wow....as long as he's healthy. What guarantees he'll be healthy? Hell, how did he get injured in the first place?
I'm amazed how many people want to take the statistically worst tackle in all of football and plug him right back into our lineup when we find his replacement.

Is the goal to get better than dead last in offense or not? Seriously.
Worst in all of football...says who? PFF? Your eyes?
I'll say it again, I've only witnessed 2, three sack games in the last 5 years....one was against Havenstein. I'd rather have a 5 hold game, than allow my QB to get hit, and possibly lose confidence in his protections. That's just me...

And really....just looking at the players...there is really NO WAY, that if you lined them up...gave them rep after rep...and Hav outplays G-Rob...physically impossible. It's why Havenstein has NEVER been considered for LT...Even tho he had this great rookie season.

You are correct you don't just take one of the most problematic LT's in football last season & say your moving from the left side of the tracks & moving to the right side of the tracks to RT...... problem fixed & move on.
Yeah you do boni.....It's like buy a Porsche....saying it doesn't run good on the 5 fwy....and when you get it on the autobahn, say, "naw, I'm use my Yugo instead....my 911 never worked for me."
Coaches make good players great. Coaches can also make good players bad....It's like we don't remember Kurt Warner....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Unless McVay commented on Robinson's position move after his presser I think many reporters misinterpreted McVay's comments. This is the excerpt word for word:

What does this addition mean for Greg Robinson, is he going to switch positions?

"Right now the plan is Andrew's gonna be our left tackle and we'll give Greg an opportunity to play on the right side. I think that will be a good opportunity for Greg to go to that right side, he and... we'll see how Havenstein is able to do, if we allow him to play guard and tackle; and you know we feel fortunate to have some depth inside with Rodger Saffold and Jamon Brown, and Andrew Donnal played a lot of snaps last year. So we've got some guys on this roster that have some position flex, but being able to get an Andrew Whitworth, he knows what its like, he's played the game at a Pro Bowl-caliber level at that left tackle position will give us some flexibility to put Greg on the right side and see how he does there."

I see no specific mention of Greg being locked in at right tackle. If anything McVay only alluded to them trying him out at both positions on the right side.

Good observation @rams24/7

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Then again with all this OLine talk...if i'm HC i'm still not penciling Saffold in as a starter. No way. Develop someone younger who can stay on the field.
Saffold is my overpaid sixth man. First off the bench.

Agreed and I think it will be open season across the line tbh. But Saffold will end up being one of the top two OG simply by attrition. Brown is an exceptional talent on the OL to my eye, I think he is going to put it together under Kromer as a Guard and will probably be one of our best guys up front. After him there's nobody really who can give Roger a run for his money.

Donnal is solid in pass blocking but not very strong in the run game. Wichmann is gonna move over to Center I think due to the fact he's not in the same class as these other guys physically.

GRob I think is a guy with a very narrow adjustment range mentally, but he's the wildcard because he's so talented. I believe the key with him is making him earn it. Dude should have been replaced years ago at LT but the regime was too invested in him. He is capable of blowing everyone out of the water but I just don't have any faith in him.

Then there's the rest of the depth options. Williams might make his presence felt somewhere, but he's a longshot and the rest of the depth guys even moreso. Gonna be a lot of turnover on the depth.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I like Hav at Guard just so the D can't see which lane Gurley is going to run through.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams OL was so bad last year, they blew it up. It's going to be completely different this season. The only position that seems certain is Whitworth at LT and Barnes NOT at center. The rest of the OL is yet to be determined.

FLV, you need to start a betting line of what the OL will look like opening day. :thinking:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FLV, you need to start a betting line of what the OL will look like opening day. :thinking:

WTH....Whitworth, Saffold, Mangold, Havenstein, Robinson...Everybody wants to move GROB to Guard, he will play RT with Big Rob holding down RG and the Rams running right more often than Ronald Wilson Reagan.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Unless McVay commented on Robinson's position move after his presser I think many reporters misinterpreted McVay's comments. This is the excerpt word for word:

What does this addition mean for Greg Robinson, is he going to switch positions?

"Right now the plan is Andrew's gonna be our left tackle and we'll give Greg an opportunity to play on the right side. I think that will be a good opportunity for Greg to go to that right side, he and... we'll see how Havenstein is able to do, if we allow him to play guard and tackle; and you know we feel fortunate to have some depth inside with Rodger Saffold and Jamon Brown, and Andrew Donnal played a lot of snaps last year. So we've got some guys on this roster that have some position flex, but being able to get an Andrew Whitworth, he knows what its like, he's played the game at a Pro Bowl-caliber level at that left tackle position will give us some flexibility to put Greg on the right side and see how he does there."

I see no specific mention of Greg being locked in at right tackle. If anything McVay only alluded to them trying him out at both positions on the right side.

Thank you for posting this. Crazy how we have people saying Grob is playing RT and Hav is starting at Guard.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Go listen to Mcvay's latest video. That's exactly what he said, GRob will be tried at RT and Hav at RG. I think they'll try more combinations than that, seeing what works best. They're blowing up the current OL and starting over, with the only sure thing Whitworth at LT. No telling what the OL will look like come game one of '17

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33245/rams-roster-will-look-very-different-in-2017

...Whitworth now protecting the blindside of franchise quarterback Jared Goff, Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick, is expected to move to the right side, either to tackle or guard, a decision that partly rests on the improvement of young right tackle Rob Havenstein.

The Rams spoke to Robinson on Thursday about the transition and McVay said he's "up for the challenge," though it will be a difficult one.

"You have to have a starting point," McVay said, "and the starting point is we're going to give Greg a chance to play at that right tackle spot and see where we go from there."

So not exactly "locked" in, but it's looking like its the first place he's expected to go.
Also, improvement of Havenstien. Is it a health concern or playing ability?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Thank you for posting this. Crazy how we have people saying Grob is playing RT and Hav is starting at Guard.

That's not exactly the same as the other quote I saw, but same gist...The other one said (I think) we'll try him (or start him out at) at RT...Maybe that quote was not exactly right...Guess it doesn't matter, they're going to do what they think is best...Obviously nothing will be set in stone for quite a while...

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Go listen to Mcvay's latest video. That's exactly what he said, GRob will be tried at RT and Hav at RG. I think they'll try more combinations than that, seeing what works best. They're blowing up the current OL and starting over, with the only sure thing Whitworth at LT. No telling what the OL will look like come game one of '17
No he said the right side. Please read what Rams24/7 posted. "we'll see how Havenstein is able to do, if we allow him to play guard and tackle;"

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33245/rams-roster-will-look-very-different-in-2017

...Whitworth now protecting the blindside of franchise quarterback Jared Goff, Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick, is expected to move to the right side, either to tackle or guard, a decision that partly rests on the improvement of young right tackle Rob Havenstein.

The Rams spoke to Robinson on Thursday about the transition and McVay said he's "up for the challenge," though it will be a difficult one.

"You have to have a starting point," McVay said, "and the starting point is we're going to give Greg a chance to play at that right tackle spot and see where we go from there."

So not exactly "locked" in, but it's looking like its the first place he's expected to go.
Also, improvement of Havenstien. Is it a health concern or playing ability?
That's Gonzalez take on what McVay said.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bottom line is they're going to do a lot of experimenting before they settle on a starting OL.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Is it, because it looks likes he's quoting him.
To me it is because Rams24/7 posted word for word McVay's comments after the question was asked about where Grob would play. Like Rams24/7 said unless something was said afterwards I will guess that the only thing for sure right now is AW starts at LT.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

To me it is because Rams24/7 posted word for word McVay's comments after the question was asked about where Grob would play. Like Rams24/7 said unless something was said afterwards I will guess that the only thing for sure right now is AW starts at LT.

The problem is that rams24/7 didn't read or post the entire transcript. I'm not going to post the entire transcript either, but I will provide evidence and the link to the full transcript.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/3/10/14890882/transcript-la-rams-sean-mcvay-robert-woods-andrew-whitworth-2017-nfl-free-agency

(On the adjustment Greg Robinson is facing moving to the right side)

“It’s certainly a challenge. That’s one of the things you appreciate about a swing tackle – those guys that can play both on the left and the right. You go back and you look at what Jamon Brown was doing at Louisville, he was a strong tackle at Louisville, where he’s playing on the right and the left side. I think it’s more just getting a comfort level of working in his stance. We talked to Greg yesterday and told him about our plans and he’s up for the challenge. When you’re doing some of your drills, just get comfortable playing right-footed, with that right-handed stance as opposed to that left. And I think that’s something that he’ll immediately be able to work on, just get comfortable with that muscle memory. I think that’s something, with his athleticism, we feel confident that he’ll be able to make that transition.”

(On if Robinson seemed accepting when they spoke to him)

“Absolutely, Greg was great. I think it’s very important, like we talked about, with that communication. When you’re fortunate enough to bring Andrew Whitworth in the building, I think it’s important to let your players know where they stand and how that affects them and those guys upfront. It was important for us to communicate what the plan is. Every day is an evaluation, so we’re looking at that, but you have to have a starting point and the starting point is we’re going to give Greg a chance to play at that right tackle spot and see where we go from there.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it, because it looks likes he's quoting him. Gonzalez mentions right side, the quote says right tackle.

McVay has yet to see them live on the grass. I think it's important to remember that.

Now I want you guys to imagine GRob playing at RT in space. What makes anyone think he is suddenly going to start playing well in space? That ship has sailed for me dudes, and I'll believe it when I see it. More likely is he'll go out there and start grabbing and lunging, and Kromer's head will explode and he'll move him to OG.

So at this point what McVay says is immaterial. He's just spitballing right now with the press and it means very little other than the fact that things are gonna be wide open.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also and while I'm thinking about it, Saffold's natural position IMO is RT. Roger can play in space, so if anyone is going to give Hav a run for his money--and I think that competition is important--it should be Roger. Best 5 guys regardless of position IMO:

1. Whitworth.
2. Saffold.
3. Brown.
4. Havenstein.
5. DRAFTEE at CENTER

After Hav there's a lot of dropoff IMO. If they bring in a guy like Elfein at Center he is immediately in our top 5. From there it's where do guys most comfortably slot.