Goff a long way from playing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My question is - if this is true - why make him the #2?

Exactly.

I smell a smokescreen:

• He's already the number 2 over a ready to start Mannion which logically means, he must be ready
  • Fisher already said he was ready to start
  • He's practicing with the ones this week

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Exactly.

I smell a smokescreen:

• He's already the number 2 over a ready to start Mannion which logically means, he must be ready

I don't

I think the #2 gets scout team reps and the #3 gets almost no reps at all

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He came from a system where he stood at the line of scrimmage and looked to the sideline for the play call....it's not that hard to understand

This is what you get with Air Raid QB's

He played in a High School offense

Doesn't mean he can't learn the offense but he hasn't yet.

I believe that he can get there. He has physical tools and I think the kid is intelligent.

Takes time.
Wow!

You just described Quick (gifted athlete from a high school style program... Appalachian State if I recall... no playbook was the rumor).

Gee, hope it doesn't take Goff as long as it has Quick... I'm getting too old... I may not make it :LOL:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wouldn't surprise me if it was a defensive coach who was expecting SOMETHING from the #1 overall pick, only to have the defense have to haul most of the water for this team because the #1 overall pick...just isn't getting it very fast.

Now, of course, there are factors. Fisher's unwillingness to create an environment for his rookie to thrive is certainly a large part. Maybe the biggest part...and we have no way of knowing if the criticism of Goff takes this or any other factor into account.

But...coming from that Bear Raid offense...I can see Goff might struggle. While he did do well with sight adjustments, recognizing complex blitzes or dawgs and knowing the correct audible is a far sight more complicated.

This has been covered before...but this smacks of Fisher "falling in love" with Goff's potential. What scares me about that is that he and Snead by extension may have underestimated the development requirements of Goff.

That's not to say that at some point that Goff can't or won't be Negasonic Teenage Warhead awesome. It does SERIOUSLY bring into question Fisher's ability to scout QBs, architect and implement a coherent plan for rapid development of any rookie QB and even if he can parse what skills translate from college to the pro game.

That last point is rather nettlesome. The Rams currently have two of the top college passers of all time and spent the #1 overall on an Air Raid QB. Actually, we have TWO Air Raid QBs. And the one QB we have who played in something other than a spread is #3 on the depth chart and I'd wager that he leaves before Keenum does unless a team like Cleveland comes calling.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If that is truly the case, then what little faith I have left in this coaching staff is gone.

I'm about there... Either Goff is that dumb, and despite a good academic record (from my understanding Cal actually makes student athletes work), good wonderlic score (which is supposed to reflect intelligence) can't figure out the NFL, which apparently faked out every other NFL team..Or this coaching staff is completely failing him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't

I think the #2 gets scout team reps and the #3 gets almost no reps at all

They said in the video Goff will be getting reps. By that, I am assuming they mean with the 1s since they have the time and it wouldn't make sense otherwise as he already has the scout team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm about there... Either Goff is that dumb, and despite a good academic record (from my understanding Cal actually makes student athletes work), good wonderlic score (which is supposed to reflect intelligence) can't figure out the NFL, which apparently faked out every other NFL team..Or this coaching staff is completely failing him.

...or it's just Fisher playing his games. I'm going with Fisher games. Otherwise, how do we account for the fact that he's already a hit away from going in, has been since week 2, and that Fisher has already proclaimed him ready?

bluecoconuts

Legend
...or it's just Fisher playing his games. I'm going with Fisher games. Otherwise, how do we account for the fact that he's already a hit away from going in, has been since week 2, and that Fisher has already proclaimed him ready?

I dunno, it seems stupid for games. For all we know he has him as the #2 because he feels pressure to do so. Apparently there were tons of issues with Vince Young and Fisher not wanting to play him.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think this is all speculation, however, there may be some truth to it. If Goff really had it down to the point of it being 2nd nature, Keenum would be sitting. If all things equal as far as understanding the offense goes, Keenum couldn't hold a candle to Goff's arm talent.

The point of Fisher being on the hotseat is probably speculation as well. If Fisher was worried, he'd probably start Goff to buy himself some time.
Bingo!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That was a classic piece of reporting. "Sources within the organization..." Isn't that a standard journalistic quote taught in journalism school? That's the same as saying "An anonymous source close to the situation, who didn't want to be mentioned in my article, said..." Freaking clown who has no direct/indirect knowledge about anything the RAMS do or don't do. All he did was spur more discussion about Goff playing, or the lack thereof. Priceless piece of work. I'm just sorry I had to watch the 15 second ad and 26 seconds of pure drivel. I could have done a better job with the report, and even added some quotes from ROD members plus colorful pictures.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That was a classic piece of reporting. "Sources within the organization..." Isn't that a standard journalistic quote taught in journalism school? That's the same as saying "An anonymous source close to the situation, who didn't want to be mentioned in my article, said..." Freaking clown who has no direct/indirect knowledge about anything the RAMS do or don't do. All he did was spur more discussion about Goff playing, or the lack thereof. Priceless piece of work. I'm just sorry I had to watch the 15 second add and 26 seconds of pure drivel. I could have done a better job with the report, and even added some quotes from ROD members plus colorful pictures.

A janitor peered out onto the practice field and heard something about "missed blitz call", and PRESTO! A "source" for Bleacher Report!

RamzFanz

Damnit
For all we know he has him as the #2 because he feels pressure to do so.

I don't get the sense Fisher caves under pressure. Do you?

I can't go with Fisher starting a game with an unprepared rookie and a punter as his backups when CK could be one hit away from a game or season ending injury. Not when he has Mannion ready to play. And then what the next week? Start Mannion or double down on his lie and humiliate the kid, Rams, and himself?

I'm going with Fisher's proclamation that Goff is ready to start while actually suiting him up over an anonymous "leak." Not because I believe anything Fisher says, but because if Goff went in and was destroyed and humiliated, Fisher would have had no cover.

If Goff doesn't start, I expect CK to be on a very very short leash. JMHO.

Last edited:

Rambo

UDFA
I thought this is one of the things he did good in college, pick up the blitz and change the play at the line of scrimmage.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Cole is one of the least accurate reporters in the sport. This guy claimed carson was a stone cold lock among his many other gaffs. His reporting should be taken with a huge grain of salt if not outright dismissed.

Bonsignore is the new Bernie (I guess someone has to fill that space), also a garbage reporter. Guy acts likes he is deeply imbeded in the rams organization like he's known these guys for years. Complete BS guy was a nobody before relocation talk. He isn't connected anywhere.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Cole is one of the least accurate reporters in the sport. This guy claimed carson was a stone cold lock among his many other gaffs. His reporting should be taken with a huge grain of salt if not outright dismissed.

That was a hyperbole :poop: report to get reactions from Rams fans and other sports media anti-Fisher supporters.
grainofsalt.jpg
4751539._UY200_.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Exactly.

I smell a smokescreen:

Yep. He already said that they're both ready.

I think this report only has an element of truth, and the source could be anyone. You or me, even. There are just some things they'd like to see Goff master before he plays. They'd also like him to be comfortable with what he's doing without having to think about what he has to do. They said that. If I had to guess, I'd say they want him to be more familiar with defensive looks and alignments before he goes out there and finds himself having to change a play. I wouldn't say he can't do it. I would suggest he's just not proficient at it yet.

if he has to play due to some unfortunate means, then he'll get a specific set of plays and a game-plan suitable to his progress.
I would guess.

Ellard80

Legend
So lets just make a Rams on Demand Twitter so we can put forth official breaking news that we come up with on our own inferences and assumptions.