Goff a long way from playing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's going to be really fun to see Goff audible to Quick....LOL...I guarantee it'll work!!!

This is a good point. If Goff lacks the ability to audible, it might actually make our offense better. :LOL:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not really but i can only hope that once they see goff out there and what he can do they won't be as conservative as they are now.

I'll use the powerful car analogy. When i was younger my dad updated our car, from a hunk of junk from the year 78 to a 94 commodore which had a take off only sports cars could better. First time i got in the car i drove very carefully as i didn't want to risk an accident. Until i stopped at the first set of lights then took off. Are you kidding me? It opened up a new world to me. No more sitting behind slow drivers because i didn't think i could overtake before the next parked car impeded me. I'd take on any driver from the left hand lane at a set of lights turning green, Give me 20m before a parked car and i win the race to be the first in line in the right hand lane.

So i presume once they see what goff can do out there they will loosen it up somewhat.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I think it's Misdirection. If they say that Goff is doing amazing and is very close to starting following the bye, opposing teams will begin to game plan against Goff and see what they can do to take advantage of him. Saying he's a long way away from playing will surprise a lot of teams especially Carolina if he does indeed become the starter next Sunday.

giphy.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My opinion,
Once they decide to put Goff in...they can't take him out just because he's throwing picks, losing games and fumbling snaps. (injury not withstanding of course).

Right now they have the luxury of sitting Keenum down whenever they want and i think Fisher likes having that in his pocket. They're struggling with the finality of that decision(to start Goff) because they don't really know how he's going to respond once he gets in there for good as "the man."

I think Fisher thought that he could red shirt Goff this year because Keenum and the rest of his team were up to the challenge of winning 8, 9 or 10 games.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think Mannion is any further ahead of Goff.. Goff is by a wide margin the most talented QB we have.. I think that Keenum knows the offense enough, plus has enough physical talent to keep him at #1, but I don't think that Mannion has the physical talent or the playbook understanding to justify playing him over Goff. Even if he knows the playbook and NFL defenses better, he doesn't have the talent.. So Goff would start over him with a reduced offense.

Which is why I can't figure out if it's pressure or not or what's going on. If the idea is that Goff is one snap away, then play him with a reduced/simplified offense until he figures it out. A simplified playbook may help, because right now our playbook is apparently 30 seconds of calling the play which happens to be a run up the gut. It's overly complex for no reason. Just play the damn kid.

I would disagree about this. When the three QBs were Foles, Keenum and Mannion, it was Mannion who had the offense down the best as a freakin' rookie and actually was helping Foles.

So, it would SHOCK me to find that Mannion, in his second year in this offense..well...this offense along with Boras' passing stuff bolted on... was only as far along as Goff...who, may or may not be starting because he does not fully grasp the offense.

Nah, I'll stick with what we know about Fisher (who is remarkably consistent as a coach and personnel person). He falls in love with players. Do we have to go through the list of players?...again??? Keenum is one of those players. GOFF is one of those players.

Which means that Mannion will NEVER see the field. He quite simply....can't. If Mannion were to see the field and light it up, it would actually be BAD for Fisher. What would he say?

"oh, yeah. Sure we knew all along what we had in Sean. But...err...well...you know...you can never have too many QBs in this league... And as a defensively oriented, power running team, I felt that it was important for us to spend what you media guys would probably think is a Franchise amount on our backup, Jared Goff. But our plan all along was to win with Sean...and we are!"

Sportswriters aren't known to be the healthiest eaters and I'm pretty sure if Fisher tried something like that, the incredulousness would cause mass choking among the gathered sports media and at least one of the fatter guys would need the paddles.

I'm certain that the coaching staff is working like hell to get Goff up to speed as fast as possible. And that continues to mean that Mannion will continue to get no development. That said, even at this time, if I had to bet real money with Mannion having been a coaches kid and with his Football IQ, I think it's safe to say that Mannion is ahead of Goff at this time.

We all hope Goff turns out stellar. I hope Mannion gets a chance at his next stop because Fisher will fight like hell to keep Keenum and I'd like to see the young man get a shot.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not sure that is what we are anymore @flv my man. Not at this point anyway.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Not sure that is what we are anymore @flv my man. Not at this point anyway.
Yep! We all know what they think that they want to be but that isn't what they are at all. They've made Gurley a total non factor so far, and the defense is a total disappointment at this point of the season.:baghead:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion,
Once they decide to put Goff in...they can't take him out just because he's throwing picks, losing games and fumbling snaps. (injury not withstanding of course).

Right now they have the luxury of sitting Keenum down whenever they want and i think Fisher likes having that in his pocket. They're struggling with the finality of that decision(to start Goff) because they don't really know how he's going to respond once he gets in there for good as "the man."

I think Fisher thought that he could red shirt Goff this year because Keenum and the rest of his team were up to the challenge of winning 8, 9 or 10 games.
Agree.

I'd be surprised if Goff does any better than Keenum for some period of time.

In fact, I'd expect worse results.

Opponents will throw the kitchen sink at the kid and his supporting cast (particularly that Oline) is not strong enough to withstand the onslaught.

This isn't Dak and the Dallas line. Gurley isn't looking like Elliott lately and there's no Dez on this team.

And I agree... once they put him in, they pretty much have to stick with him. Sure, they can do whatever they want but putting him in, bad results, then pulling him is:
1] Terrible for his psyche
2] Bad optically

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher started with the "We wont rush him" "He'll start when ready" rhetoric before they hit OTA
Its obvious to me there was never any intention of playing him. Fisher thought/thinks he can win with Keenum and is going to sacrifice the season to prove he's right.
Thru 7 games last season, Foles was 4-3, had a 7-5 TD-INT ratio and a rating in the mid 80's, team was scoring 19 a game
Hard to believe that after 7 games, (including Case game vs Detroit) that we are worse off so far this year

bluecoconuts

Legend
I would disagree about this. When the three QBs were Foles, Keenum and Mannion, it was Mannion who had the offense down the best as a freakin' rookie and actually was helping Foles.

So, it would SHOCK me to find that Mannion, in his second year in this offense..well...this offense along with Boras' passing stuff bolted on... was only as far along as Goff...who, may or may not be starting because he does not fully grasp the offense.

Nah, I'll stick with what we know about Fisher (who is remarkably consistent as a coach and personnel person). He falls in love with players. Do we have to go through the list of players?...again??? Keenum is one of those players. GOFF is one of those players.

Which means that Mannion will NEVER see the field. He quite simply....can't. If Mannion were to see the field and light it up, it would actually be BAD for Fisher. What would he say?

"oh, yeah. Sure we knew all along what we had in Sean. But...err...well...you know...you can never have too many QBs in this league... And as a defensively oriented, power running team, I felt that it was important for us to spend what you media guys would probably think is a Franchise amount on our backup, Jared Goff. But our plan all along was to win with Sean...and we are!"

Sportswriters aren't known to be the healthiest eaters and I'm pretty sure if Fisher tried something like that, the incredulousness would cause mass choking among the gathered sports media and at least one of the fatter guys would need the paddles.

I'm certain that the coaching staff is working like hell to get Goff up to speed as fast as possible. And that continues to mean that Mannion will continue to get no development. That said, even at this time, if I had to bet real money with Mannion having been a coaches kid and with his Football IQ, I think it's safe to say that Mannion is ahead of Goff at this time.

We all hope Goff turns out stellar. I hope Mannion gets a chance at his next stop because Fisher will fight like hell to keep Keenum and I'd like to see the young man get a shot.

Mannion may know the offense, but he's nowhere near the talent level of Goff or even Keenum. That is what'll keep him from seeing the field.

lockdnram21

Legend
Agree.

I'd be surprised if Goff does any better than Keenum for some period of time.

In fact, I'd expect worse results.

Opponents will throw the kitchen sink at the kid and his supporting cast (particularly that Oline) is not strong enough to withstand the onslaught.

This isn't Dak and the Dallas line. Gurley isn't looking like Elliott lately and there's no Dez on this team.

And I agree... once they put him in, they pretty much have to stick with him. Sure, they can do whatever they want but putting him in, bad results, then pulling him is:
1] Terrible for his psyche
2] Bad optically
We don't need Dez. Kenny and Quick have been playing well.... Dak has t even played with Dez for real. The line is the only problem I see... Goff would open up things for Gurley

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't need Dez. Kenny and Quick have been playing well.... Dak has t even played with Dez for real. The line is the only problem I see... Goff would open up things for Gurley
And maybe, just maybe, Goff would actually play like, well you know, the kid that was drafted #1 overall???
Goff will make his mistakes, but will make his plays too.
If coach can make excuses for Keenum's awful play, I'm sure he can use one or two to back up the rookie

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mannion may know the offense, but he's nowhere near the talent level of Goff or even Keenum. That is what'll keep him from seeing the field.

Hopefully Goff is significantly more talanted than both. Keenum v Mannion - I think may be closer than we think. Mannion, like Goff, is just a big old bag of mystery at this point because Fisher doesn't pull the cord until its way too late.

Same thing happened last year with Foles.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I don't know. No one knows. We haven't seen him. And we can't use the "he has to play" or "he has to get reps" for Goff and then turn around and expect Mannion to surpass him while he's been all but ignored for the better part of two seasons. Remember, Mannion on his own dime went and spent all off-season working his ass off on QB fundamentals and improving.

Do I think Mannion has a higher ceiling than Goff? No.

Do I think Mannion could be an effective QB in the NFL? Maybe. Likely, even. However, that conversation is nigh on impossible to have and the reality of it is even more so because there's no way Fisher is going to let anyone other than Keenum act as the placeholder or Goff come in once he's ready to be the Franchise (and we all, presume, hope and pray that happens).

But most of us function from a meritocratic mindset (insofar as even if you grant the extra reps and attention as befits a #1 overall, he should earn the spot). From that mindset, Mannion is??? It's empirically impossible to say that the Rams allocated enough resources to develop him (the requisite reps his rookie year were squandered in the backup battle between Keenum and Davis when everyone and their brother knew Keenum was the guy).

Bottom line now is that even if Goff is a full season away from being ready and Keenum gets injured, they'll put Goff out there...because there's NO CHANCE that they will EVER allow anyone to second guess this choice. It's okay if Goff busts, but NOT okay if they already had a QB in the roster before paying what they did for Goff.

Consistency and patterns. Mannion will NEVER see the field. I fully expect they try to keep Keenum and deal Mannion this off-season.

Watch...

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
If Fisher is just trying to protect Goff from getting "killed" then that tells me the kid is not ready to play in the NFL. The O-line has protected Case pretty well this season so what is Fisher saying when he says Goff's not ready? Is he saying the kid can't read a blitz? If that's the case then how in the hell did he get mentioned to be the number 1 pick? What in the world have the Rams done? If he can't get the nod on a team that is 3-4 after the lousy game Case had last week I'm going to start wondering whether the kid is the biggest bust in NFL history. Mr. Fisher had better get his but in the game and quit screwing around before this season is a total loss. They are only 2 or 3 more losses from that being a fact.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Jason Cole? That guy makes up basically the dumbest stuff ever just to get clicks. Not once have I seen one of his "buzz rumors" to actually be true. In fact it's usually the opposite.

After hearing the quotes from today's practice, excuse me while I toot my own horn. Lol.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
After hearing the quotes from today's practice, excuse me while I toot my own horn. Lol.

He's taking the Mike Florio approach. Make up enough stuff until you have enough clicks to be hired by a television network.