Frank Cignetti just got fired.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You're running out of scapegoats really quickly, Fisher.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Fisher just has to be fired after this season. If he is not, he should resign. Doesn't look like the guys have any fight in them anymore. They need to blow the coaching staff up. He is the 4th highest paid coach in the league. 4th! This for a guy who is close to having the most losses of any coach in NFL history. This team has regressed record wise and on offense in each of his four years. There is absolutely no reason at all to keep him unless you want this team to alienate the fans as much as possible to help with a move to LA. No reason Fisher should be back next year under ANY circumstances. Well, for the other 31 teams that is....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Personally, I didn't think Cigs was doing a good job, and yeah, I know about the injuries, Foles, and our WR's unable to execute, etc. I've defended OC's in the past for some of these reasons, but I still saw a game plan, strategy. His play calling was very unimaginative, and Fisher, addressed the offensive woes every week. He inferred that the coaches needed to do a better job, getting certain players, touches, looks that would give them a chance to succeed. I don't think he did that.

I expected him to be fired, I think most of you all did too.

Was he a scapegoat, like everyone says? Did anyone want him back, as our OC? Not me.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
We fired the OC and replaced him with the guy who lost out to guy who got fired. My optimism is at high levels:confused:
Well, to try to put a positive spin on it, I think they chose the wrong guy in the first place. To that I'll add that Boras did at least spend time as a head coach, albeit with a losing record ... and has served as both an offensive line coach and a tight end coach.

With that kind of experience, I'd like to think that he may well be the right person for the job at this time. Heck, he may well have been the reason for what little success we've seen from our offense this season.

Why we didn't run the ball more against the Bears is beyond me. When the injuries really started piling up for our offensive line, Cignetti really should have went to Boudreau and Boras asked them, "What do I do?" and followed their suggestions to the letter. If their advice somehow implied 12 touches between Austin and Gurley against Cardinals, then we're already so doomed that it doesn't matter anyway.

I'm as excited as anyone about the Lions game.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No more interceptions and dropped passes now . What a relief

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The descent is complete. Outside of a Kurt Warner savior, we are exactly like the Turds. Can't draft a QB for crap. But at least we have GSOT...

But those days move farther and farther away with each passing season.

At least something can pass for us. It sure isn't our QBs.

fancents86

Starter
This does not make us better in any sort of way. How is changing Oc's going to make a oline of rookies and backups gain experience? How is this going to make Foles not hold on to the ball forever? How is this going to help the receivers get seperation?

If it is In fact true that cig is a CI on the side and is cutting into his time with the team, I can see that. But this, like everyone else said, was a scapegoat move. Now if Fisher and/or Snead are fired I guarantee we'll be looking for another OC as well. I don't see a smart coach keeping this knee jerk reaction of a decision.

Last edited:

rams2050

Starter
I'm convinced that Fisher hires guys who he doesn't believe will provide him any competition when it comes to keeping his job. A smart coach would hire people who would do a fantastic job, thus making the coach who hired him look good. Fisher does NOT ascribe to that theory, apparently, and continues to hire coaches -- especially on the offensive side of the ball -- who will pose no threat to him. Defensive-wise, well, Williams is operating under something of a black Bountygate cloud so no threat there, either.

A smart coach would have been trolling for Martz -- and shorten his reins before he was ever hired, Mike Shannahan, or others. It is ridiculous how he has ridden this offense to a point where now his OWN job is in jeopardy, something that MIGHT not have happened if he had had even a modicum of talent at the offensive coordinator's position all along.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
B0wxDQc.png

I call this one "Sacrificial Ram".

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This does not make us better in any sort of way. How is changing Oc's going to make a oline of rookies and backups gain experience? How is this going to make Foles not hold on to the ball forever? How is this going to help the receivers get seperation?

If it is In fact true that cig is a CI on the side and is cutting into his time with the team, I can see that. But this, like everyone else said, was a scapegoat move. Now if Fisher and/or Snead are fired I guarantee we'll be looking for another OC as well. I don't see a smart coach keeping this knee jerk reaction of a decision.

You guys are killin me with this scapegoat thing. If you coordinate that bad of an offense for ANY team you're packin your bags and likely well before this point in the season with most coaches. The NFL is about results.

We can all want to see Fisher fired and there is every reason to fire him. But from his level he has to make the accountability move. He cannot sit on his hands and do nothing. I was irked that it took that long, Cigs was so far in over his head it wasn't funny.

The OC hire of an in house guy instead of someone more proven is Fisher's fault. The failure is Fisher's fault regardless. But IMO we need to get off the dude's back about firing Cigs, like it was unwarranted or unfair. If there was ever a firing of a coordinator that was needed it was this one.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Why isn't the WR position coach getting fired?

I'm going to paste my comment from a little over a week ago below.

What offensive coordinator in their right mind would hitch their wagon to this train wreck?

Fisher is what he is.

I hope Snead gets to stay when Fisher is finally cut loose. Fisher as a defensive coordinator would be genius. Head coach....not so much.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Firing coaches & benching players works.... I expect the offense and defense to play much better this weekend.... And getting Foles out the game...that last drive into the red-zone said it all....And Cigs wasn't throwing the passes....missing wide open guys....

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Calling the plays with a dart board would have been more successful than Cigs was. Now, Boras needs to tell Fisher to stay the hell out of his business, just worry about the defense and try to not screw up the clock management anymore!
Then they just might win enough games to screw up their draft position.:rant:

WvuIN02

Starter
Reminds me when Darth Vader is force choking that guy to death while promoting the new admiral.

"You have failed me for the last time!"

Hah, good luck Boras

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Calling the plays with a dart board would have been more successful than Cigs was. Now, Boras needs to tell Fisher to stay the hell out of his business, just worry about the defense and try to not screw up the clock management anymore!
Then they just might win enough games to screw up their draft position.:rant:

Boras just needs to get the running game rolling. Get a good game plan together vs Detroit to spring Gurley, and put the thumb screws on these guys from execution standpoint during the week. This game is at home so no hostile crowd to deal with for the OL calls. Then play action the F out of that Lions defense.

I just hope Keenum plays better. But again, regardless of the QBs they do need to get the running game back in action.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You guys are killin me with this scapegoat thing. If you coordinate that bad of an offense for ANY team you're packin your bags and likely well before this point in the season with most coaches. The NFL is about results.

We can all want to see Fisher fired and there is every reason to fire him. But from his level he has to make the accountability move. He cannot sit on his hands and do nothing. I was irked that it took that long, Cigs was so far in over his head it wasn't funny.

The OC hire of an in house guy instead of someone more proven is Fisher's fault. The failure is Fisher's fault regardless. But IMO we need to get off the dude's back about firing Cigs, like it was unwarranted or unfair. If there was ever a firing of a coordinator that was needed it was this one.

This is where my head is at. We are not scoring! Something needed to change and I'm glad he's doing something.

Will it work? Probably not, unless Cigs took the playbook with him. That's what really needs to change in the offseason.

We need a new offensive playbook and a creative mind on that side of the ball.