Frank Cignetti just got fired.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Firing offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti solves nothing for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...inator-frank-cignetti-solves-nothing-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Apparently the deck chair wearing the offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti costume just didn't match the decor on the U.S.S. St. Louis Rams as it sinks into further despair.

Less than a day after Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he was "almost out of answers" to try to fix the team's offensive woes, he submitted something that some might consider a response by firing Cignetti and promoting Rob Boras to offensive coordinator. But that doesn't mean it's the right one.

Did Cignetti do a good job with the Rams offense? A simple look at the numbers would offer a resounding no.

Three quarters of the way through the season, the Rams are 31st in the NFL in yards per game (296.3) and offensive points per game (14.4) and last in passing yards per game (178) and first downs (175). Undoubtedly, those are numbers that scream for a change.

That also doesn't mean it was all Cignetti's fault, either.

No, once again, the blame here is going to the wrong place. It was Fisher who hired Brian Schottenheimer as the coordinator when he arrived in 2012. After three seasons of poor offensive output, Fisher had a chance to re-invent the offense last offseason with a creative hire from outside the ranks. He decided to hire from within, going with Cignetti, though it sure seemed like any proven outside commodity looked at the situation in St. Louis and thought better of pursuing the job.

It was also Fisher who mostly neglected the offense and the quarterback position until this offseason. There was that moment he attempted to stray outside of his comfort zone in 2013 with a spread offense intended to throw it all over the yard, but that was no more than a passing fancy that last just four games before it was scrapped. And it was Fisher who picked the players, including the quarterbacks, offensive linemen and wide receivers, who represent the NFL's 31st-ranked offense.

So what, exactly, does firing Cignetti now, with four games to go, accomplish? Theoretically, it gives Fisher a chance to evaluate Boras as his offensive coordinator if indeed Fisher is back for the 2016 season, which is still a possibility. What it doesn't do is offer any sort of a cure for an ailing offense.

But remember, whether the coordinator is Boras or Bill Walsh in his prime, the job is to execute the run-first philosophy that Fisher desires. To this point, that hasn't gotten the Rams anywhere.

In Fisher's first three seasons in St. Louis, the Rams have finished 23rd, 30th and 28th in the NFL in yards per game. They've ranked 28th, 22nd and 23rd in offensive points scored per game, though never with an average higher than 19.

Boras takes over an offense that has Nick Foles and Case Keenum as quarterback options and an offensive line that already struggled mightily before a rash of injuries has left it to bottom out. It's an offense that has Kenny Britt, he of the 445 receiving yards, leading the team in that category. By way of comparison, last week's opponent, the Arizona Cardinals, have three wideouts with at least 550 receiving yards.

So Boras, like Cignetti before him, isn't exactly going to be playing with a stacked deck. In fact, one could argue that it's stacked against him. Firing Cignetti now, 12 games into his first season as coordinator, only generates more questions.

If the offense doesn't improve over the final four weeks, will it then somehow be Boras' fault? Will the search for a fourth offensive coordinator in about a year then begin anew? Will Fisher again get to make the call?

And perhaps most important: At some point, don't you think we'll run out of sacrificial Rams?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do believe these need some re-arranging.

Titanic-Deck-Chairs.jpg
th

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/673956898476056576

Why does this feel more like San Fransisco's scapegoating through the 2000s more than a good move?

If Fisher was smart he would bring in Martz right now (the guy that beat him in the super bowl) and show that he is willing to make aggressive changes to make the offense much better and current. With 5 weeks left snd a bad line and QB, Martz could understandably do very little as his system could not be installed. However, it would be better next year for sure, and he would keep his job for at least 1 more year as everyone waits to see., if he fails, maybe Fisher is gone, Martz becomes HC and keeps Williams! I'm for this scenario.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This is true, we weren't blown out, but at some point you lose confidence in your team's ability to get back into it. I'm not saying that it's the right course of action, I can just say I see why they were maybe trying to conserve him and not run him into the ground when we're all but pretty much out of it and guys were pretty much walking around our backfield at will. Gurley's been getting hit for more tackles for losses as time goes on, we can't just keep relying on hoping he busts one and gets out, because it has the same propensity of somebody hitting him hard and sending him to the injury report.

But like you said, ultimately Boras, Cignetti and Schott have all been figure heads for Fisher's offensive game plan.

That would be a sure indicator you've just hired the wrong HC. I don't know if he will want to stay with a new HC, but he sure would be giving up a sweet gig loaded with talent.
Maybe, maybe not. You have to trust the guy, if I can't even trust him to make good hires and replace somebody properly then what's the point of bringing in somebody when so much of the team needs replacing?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Oh I'm not trying to justify Cigs, far from it.

I'm just saying, Boras is probably not going to be any better because ultimately Fisher is still here and the offense sucks because of him, not in spite of him.

To be fair, I'm not counting on the O to set the world on fire next game.

FrankenRam

Starter
Pat Kirwan nailed it on Sirius this morning: "coaches don't learn on the job in the NFL."
QUOTE]

Huh? If not on the job....where do they learn. Is some Power 5 college conference offering a baccalaureate degree in NFL coaching?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Grab yourself a second favorite team ! You guys all worry too much . The Hawks and steelers are on a roll...

There is no second favorite team. :mad:

That is like sending a guy out to whack Paulie

Nobody whacks Paulie on my watch. :mrburns:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/07/rams-fire-offensive-coordinator-frank-cignetti/

Rams fire offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti
Posted by Josh Alper on December 7, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnknda4nzcyndgyzwy5yzywyjhiyjuwmgfhndmxzmux-e1449519385574.jpeg
AP

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Sunday’s 27-3 loss to the Cardinals that he’d run out of answers for how to get the team back on track after falling short for the fifth straight week.

He must have done some brainstorming overnight because the team has made a change on the coaching staff. The Rams announced that they have fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and turned the reins of the unit open to assistant head coach Rob Boras.

Cignetti was in his first year as coordinator after spending the last three years as the team’s quarterbacks coach. The Rams currently rank 31st in the league in both scoring and offensive yards and have managed just 54 points during a losing streak that has featured some of the ghastliest offensive football in recent memory.

“We thank Frank for his hard work and dedication over the last four years,” Fisher said in a statement. “We wish him the best moving forward.”

Boras doesn’t figure to have considerably better luck unless the Rams find some way to upgrade on quarterbacks Nick Foles and Case Keenum in the next few weeks. There should be plenty of other changes coming to the Rams after Fisher extended the team’s run of seasons without a winning record to 12, up to and including the zip code the team calls home for their next attempt to play something resembling capable offensive football.
--------
So, we have a sacrificial lamb.

This makes no difference as the Rams play Fisherball… strong D and running game. Sadly, the D has given up and the O line sucks/is too young/is decimated by injuries.
--------
Problem is Jeff Fisher will hire another offensive coordinator that fits his outdated philosophies. Fisher should be a DC and thats it.
---------
Oh, so you mean we’re actually going to start seeing slant routes, and HB screens to Gurley? Hopefully, anyways

Sheesh. The constant deep routes, seam routes, oh and those pathetic WR screens to Austin or Cook(which almost never work) are just the start of man problems they’ve had on offense.

Give Foles the proper scheme and he can throw the ball. He’s not great, but St. Louis has a special ability of making QBs look even worse than they actually are.
--------
This should fix everything. Fisher’s HC success died with Mike Heimerdinger. Guy was truly underrated in what he brought to the table to Fisher. Unlike Andy Reid when he lost Jim Johnson to cancer which sent him into a tailspin until he went to KC, Fisher has never recovered in finding another competent offensive coordinator to help him out on the level with Heimerdinger.
--------
The headline should have just read, “Jeff Fisher Covering his Own Behind.”

Also, is Rob Boras related to agent Scott Boras?

I ask because the Rams are the only franchise that seems to hire people because they’re related to agents.

Kroenke should have just fired Fisher. They’re not making the playoffs and the next coach would be cheaper and give better results on the investment. When Jim Caldwell only makes $4 million, isn’t his 3 playoffs in 5 years with two teams better than the excuse making, apparently answers deprived Fisher?
----------
I tell you what, we certainly miss Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. Two years before he left the Titans, he had our boys finish 13 & 3 (for the third time in an 8-year span). Can you imagine–THREE 13 & 3 seasons in 8 years (a span which also included 12 & 4, 11 & 5 and 10 & 6 finishes)? Seems like SO long ago. Since he left, our Titans have been stinking up the joint.

– Fan Since Memphis
--------
The Rams had an offensive coordinator?
--------
Jeff Fisher is the Jay Cutler of head coaches.
--------
The Rams figure out an offensive plan that doesn’t require talent at the QB, WR, OL or TE positions.
--------
There is more to blame on that offense than just Cignetti. The o-line is absolute garbage, Jared Cook couldn’t catch a cold, the Wr’s can’t get separation and when they do Foles over or underthrows them by 10 yards. When you can’t convert 3rd downs EVER and keep the offense on the field is there any question why their vaunted defense has went downhill these least 5 weeks?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Here is what I consider to be the top 5 reasons in no order that this team is losing.

1. QB's who cant find the open man (and there are open guys).
2. QB's who can't throw catchable balls.
3. Poor blocking by the OL.
4. WR drops (when the ball actually is catchable).
5. Penalties.

I don't think this firing fixes any of that.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The Rams announced that they have fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and turned the reins of the unit open to assistant head coach Rob Boras.

I should offer my services to these guys as a proof reader.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I understand the logic of not running when you're way behind, but that's not what happened at all though. Rams were down 10 points in the first half and just 7 points until the last 5 minutes of the third quarter. When Gurley had his longest run of the day in the 3rd quarter, 34 yards, Rams were down 7 points. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters Gurley had 3 touches.

As bad as the end score looks, Rams were in that game for a long time.

I think the immediate firing of Ciggi tells us he didn't run the offense the way Fisher wanted, not that Fisher was running the offense.
He didn't run the offense he wanted, and he was getting poor results.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it always surprises me when he gets the ball. jestsayin
It surprises me when he gets more than 10 yards and a piece of yellow cloth does not come flying across the screen.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I should offer my services to these guys as a proof reader.

Agreed. As one whose OCD symptoms kick in when I see grammatical errors, I constantly correct stuff before posting it but still miss a few here and there due to skimming articles when I'm in a hurry. The ignorance of the English language by the media is astounding.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Agreed. As one whose OCD symptoms kick in when I see grammatical errors, I constantly correct stuff before posting it but still miss a few here and there due to skimming articles when I'm in a hurry. The ignorance of the English language by the media is astounding.

Lol. I tend to copy and paste articles directly. It's really not my job to fix their errors. It does bother me sometimes when you can just tell that something was rushed out.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We fired the OC and replaced him with the guy who lost out to guy who got fired. My optimism is at high levels:confused:

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
A desperate move from a man who never had any "answer(s)".

Year four and we remain 2/3's short of a playoff team.

No elite QB (not even below average....we have the very bottom of the barrel)

No elite pass protector at the crucial OL position.

At least the new coach will have a capable defense and a formidable running back from which to build.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Lol. I tend to copy and paste articles directly. It's really not my job to fix their errors. It does bother me sometimes when you can just tell that something was rushed out.

That's because you're not as compulsive about it as I am. :sneaky:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think this firing fixes any of that.

You may be right. But it holds the OC accountable for a terrible offensive product, and it gives the other finalist for the OC job a chance to show what he can do.

Fish has to make the move for accountability from his level. Firing the OC had to happen and tbh it should have happened a couple games ago.

RamzFanz

Damnit
1. QB's who cant find the open man (and there are open guys).
2. QB's who can't throw catchable balls.

We'll see. Keenum played his first start in terrible conditions. I still have hope he will be an improvement. He has a faster ball, better feet, and my grandmother could be more accurate than Foles since the GB game.