Frank Cignetti just got fired.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
You guys are killin me with this scapegoat thing. If you coordinate that bad of an offense for ANY team you're packin your bags and likely well before this point in the season with most coaches. The NFL is about results.

We can all want to see Fisher fired and there is every reason to fire him. But from his level he has to make the accountability move. He cannot sit on his hands and do nothing. I was irked that it took that long, Cigs was so far in over his head it wasn't funny.

The OC hire of an in house guy instead of someone more proven is Fisher's fault. The failure is Fisher's fault regardless. But IMO we need to get off the dude's back about firing Cigs, like it was unwarranted or unfair. If there was ever a firing of a coordinator that was needed it was this one.
That's assuming the play calling was what was killing us. All the things I listed off are not a product of play calling necessarily, they are more execution and discipline. You can call all the play calls in the world but if your qb is not getting the ball out at an appropriate time or your line is not holding, or your receivers are not getting open, your play calls are not going to work.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You guys are killin me with this scapegoat thing. If you coordinate that bad of an offense for ANY team you're packin your bags and likely well before this point in the season with most coaches. The NFL is about results.

We can all want to see Fisher fired and there is every reason to fire him. But from his level he has to make the accountability move. He cannot sit on his hands and do nothing. I was irked that it took that long, Cigs was so far in over his head it wasn't funny.

The OC hire of an in house guy instead of someone more proven is Fisher's fault. The failure is Fisher's fault regardless. But IMO we need to get off the dude's back about firing Cigs, like it was unwarranted or unfair. If there was ever a firing of a coordinator that was needed it was this one.

A-freakin-men.

And of course, if he (JF) didn't fire Cigs and kept tolerating the same results, he'd be called stubborn. He made a bad hire. Now at least he's admitted it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's assuming the play calling was what was killing us. All the things I listed off are not a product of play calling necessarily, they are more execution and discipline. You can call all the play calls in the world but if your qb is not getting the ball out at an appropriate time or your line is not holding, or your receivers are not getting open, your play calls are not going to work.

If you're a store manager and an entire department is underperforming for most of the year, and it's been a problem for four straight years and you are failing overall as a store as a result, would you make a change?

Anyway. Execution is very much related to play calling, just like it is related to gameplanning. If you send your QB out there with a gameplan that has been foreseen by your opponent and that defense has worked on what you plan to do for a given down/distance he's gonna be confused and flustered. How quickly the QB gets the ball out is also affected by how well prepared he is. Same goes for all positions. This is why the elite coordinators get the most from what they have talent-wise. And why coordinators who are not up to snuff get eaten alive in the NFL.

Cigs just wasn't ready. It wasn't all him, but he was certainly part of the problem in my estimation. And please don't reply that I am making excuses for Foles or anyone else who is a player. I'm not. Just saying that the firing was warranted and the whole "scapegoat" thing is a bit out of control.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sorry, this is a b u l l s h i t move.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, it worked wonders for Detroit. Who knows. Not really a scapegoat, his O has been a total disaster.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Cig was better then Shott but not much. I don't blame the offense woos on him but the play calling left a lot to be desired IMHO.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I was definitely in the I want a name OC when he promoted Cigs in the first place.
No OC is succeeding with this OL and the QB play. Gurley hasn't gotten more carries because the run game is ineffective and he is not being productive while being hit behind the line of scrimmage on 60+% of his carries. Not to mention we are playing from behind if Gurley was being productive he would get the ball. No way are they saving or limiting him out of health concerns.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
"Rams promoted Rob Boras. He is also not qualified to be an OC. He's been a TE coach since 2004. Has never called plays. A ridiculous replacement".
This was on Facebook by a Rams fan, thought I would share it.

......."at this point, what difference does it make?"

fancents86

Starter
If you're a store manager and an entire department is underperforming for most of the year, and it's been a problem for four straight years and you are failing overall as a store as a result, would you make a change?

Anyway. Execution is very much related to play calling, just like it is related to gameplanning. If you send your QB out there with a gameplan that has been foreseen by your opponent and that defense has worked on what you plan to do for a given down/distance he's gonna be confused and flustered. How quickly the QB gets the ball out is also affected by how well prepared he is. Same goes for all positions. This is why the elite coordinators get the most from what they have talent-wise. And why coordinators who are not up to snuff get eaten alive in the NFL.

Cigs just wasn't ready. It wasn't all him, but he was certainly part of the problem in my estimation. And please don't reply that I am making excuses for Foles or anyone else who is a player. I'm not. Just saying that the firing was warranted and the whole "scapegoat" thing is a bit out of control.
Again, you're assuming the store manager has set that department up to succeed. I think we're misunderstanding each other. I'm not standing up for cigs, I don't think he was the answer to our offense, but I don't think he was the entire problem. I don't think assigning our qb coach to OC (again) is the right move. I don't think any OC at this point in time can fix our oline, qb and receiver problems. fisher IMO is a big contributor to our coaching problems. He is responsible for putting so much stock into our Defense and so little into our O. He is responsible for making moves to get Long and Wells who were aging, injury prone, and on the decline. He is responsible for acquiring "projects" instead of instant talent on our O. He is responsible for having our new qb rely on a very fresh oline and signing this qb before an actual nfl game. This can not be put on Cigs, he was set up to fail. Back to your department store analogy, if I was the STORE OWNER, I would let go of the manager for setting up the department for failure and let go of the other unqualified team mates in the department.

Fisher isn't going to fire himself, he's in desperation mode with firing our OC and hoping the new qb coach can do something. I think that's pretty obvious. But if he REALLY thinks his job is secure, why not ride out the season with Cigs and find an actual proven OC in the offseason?

Last edited:

MountainRam

Rookie
Let me get this straight, Schottys offense was complex. So Cignetti was hired to simplify. Now what is Boras going do? Simply the simplification process or the other way around?

MountainRam

Rookie
Well, it worked wonders for Detroit. Who knows. Not really a scapegoat, his O has been a total disaster.

Lets see what Detroit had when they fired their OC:

An offensive guy a their HC
Good RBs
Good OL (better than Rams)
Very good TEs
great Wrs (megatron and Taint)

and wait a second........

A QB in Stafford.

fancents86

Starter
Schotty was never the problem. It is always Fisher tying the hands of OC. In his show, Fisher said he wants to run the ball 35 times a game. Even if it is a tongue in cheek comment, who in their right mind talks about 1969 style football in 2015 when rules have been changed in favor of passing?
You might wanna tell that to the Georgia Bulldogs. Lol

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
This seems like the sort of desperate move that a coach makes when he knows he's nearing the end. Cignetti is a scapegoat. Getting rid of him won't solve our problems.

It's simply a ploy to silence the savage beast (fans) and take the heat off for a week or so....not that I believe it will.

fearsomefour

Legend
Lets see what Detroit had when they fired their OC:

An offensive guy a their HC
Good RBs
Good OL (better than Rams)
Very good TEs
great Wrs (megatron and Taint)

and wait a second........

A QB in Stafford.
Well, sure....that helps too if you wanna get all technical.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cignetti was nothing more than a puppet. I seriously doubt he had much say in personnel or the freedom to implement much change. It probably won't change much until they hire a proven OC and give the total control of running the offense.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
......."at this point, what difference does it make?"

9c7230f45bf856ebaa8b39f631b796c3.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Cignetti out, Boras in as offensive coordinator
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2d9bc750-cd79-50e6-80ea-7864fd76096e.html

In 20 seasons as an NFL head coach Jeff Fisher said he could not recall firing a coach in the middle of a season. And then came Monday.

With the Rams in the midst of a five-game losing streak, the offense getting worse by the week, and his own job seemingly in jeopardy, Fisher fired offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti.

“I’ve become a very good friend of Frank’s over the years, and I’m very fond of Frank,” Fisher said at his regular Monday media session. “He’s a great man. But it was, in my estimation, time to move in a different direction.

“Our focus is on the future of this offense, the future of this football team. I felt like this was the best thing we could do.”

Rob Boras, who had the title of assistant head coach/offense while also coaching tight ends, takes over as coordinator. By all accounts, Boras finished a close second to Cignetti last offseason for the OC job.

“It was very close,” Fisher said. “If you’ve seen Rob coach on the field, Rob’s a hands-on, very enthusiastic or detailed guy. He gets the big picture. He’s not done a lot of play-calling before and that was really the difference and the reason I went with Frank (in February). But we can take care of that. I have no concern about that.”

But Boras, 45, can’t throw a pass accurately, make a contested catch as a receiver, or throw a crunching block as a lineman. This deep into a season, it’s debatable how much of an impact he can have.

So what exactly can Boras bring to the league’s 31st-ranked offense and 32nd-ranked passing game after 12 contests?

“There’s some different thoughts,” Fisher said. “Stimulate the staff. A little more creativity. But it’s the run game. We’re lacking in the run game efficiency right now and it all starts there. Rob, wherever he’s been, he’s been very successful with respect to the run.”

Fisher said he has been thinking about making a change at coordinator for a couple of weeks.

“Just haven’t gotten the production,” Fisher said. “We’re getting what we want out of ’em on the practice field. It’s not carrying over to the game. I didn’t wake up this morning and make this decision.”

By noon Monday, Fisher said Boras was working as offensive coordinator. Fisher said he informed the Rams’ offensive players of the change at about 2 p.m., or right around the time the team publicly announced the switch.

Fisher said the players were shocked by the news.

“Yeah, they were,” Fisher said. “And I hope they took it personally because they need to. You’ve got a good man and a good football coach that’s busting his butt every single day. Now, for whatever reasons, he’s no longer here. They have to take some responsibility for that.

“All the blame’s not to fall on his shoulders. But it’s the way this business works. Players contributed, coaches contributed, everybody contributed (to Cignetti’s ouster).”

Cignetti, 50, came in as part of Fisher’s original staff in 2012, serving as quarterbacks coach his first three seasons in St. Louis. He had 11 seasons of coordinator’s experience at the college level, but his Rams promotion last February made him a coordinator at the NFL level for the first time.

Upon taking the job, Cignetti stressed that he was all about running the football and putting players in position to maximize their strengths. Getting the ball more often to Tavon Austin was a priority.

The playbook was streamlined and the play-calling terminology simplified. The Rams went to more of a zone-blocking scheme, which in theory would help a young line. At quarterback, the plan was to get the ball out quickly with Nick Foles.

Even with their recent struggles, the Rams are tied for ninth in the NFL in rushing offense behind feature back Todd Gurley. Austin is getting the ball more than in his previous two seasons. Through 12 games, he has 73 touches, 685 yards rushing-receiving, and eight touchdowns — all single-season highs with four games to play.

But just about everything else involving the offense has been a disaster. The team is averaging only 178 passing yards per game, on pace to be the third-worst output since the move to St. Louis in 1995. The current per-game average of 15.8 points would be the fourth-worst showing in the 21 seasons for the team in St. Louis.

The Rams rank 26th in red zone offense (48.1%) and are 32nd — or last — in third-down conversion rate (24.5%). Foles ranks 31st among NFL quarterbacks in passer rating (69.0) and returns to the bench this week with Case Keenum now cleared from his Nov. 22 concussion.

“The lack of production’s obvious,” Fisher said. “We’ve been talking about it for weeks. ... Eighteen touchdowns in 12 weeks just doesn’t give you a chance to win a lot of games. Seven of our 12 games, we’ve scored 13 points or less.”

As was the case with Cignetti, Boras also came in with Fisher’s original Rams coaching staff in 2012. A Chicago-area native, he was a four-year starting center at DePauw University, a Division III school in Greencastle, Ind.

He began coaching in 1992, spending his first 12 seasons at the college level. His only stint calling plays during that time as for three seasons at Nevada-Las Vegas. He has spent his last 12 seasons in the NFL, as tight ends coach in Chicago (2004-09) and then Jacksonville (2010-11) before coming to St. Louis.

Part of Boras’ job description this season as assistant head coach/offense was to have more input in the running game. That role obviously evolves again as coordinator.

“What I’m anticipating is it’s play selection, it’s calls, it’s adjustments and things like that,” Fisher said. “It’s commitment to it as far as the play calling’s concerned. Expanding on some things that we need to do, and then hopefully pushing things down the field as a result of it because that’s what we haven’t been able to do.”

With Boras’ promotion, offensive assistant Kenan Smith assumes full-time duties as tight ends coach. He had been helping Boras with the tight ends previously.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No Offensive Coordinator can succeed with the offensive personnel that is on this team. Nobody.

That being said Fisher needs a guy that knows offense and can be the guru to come in here and fix things. And Fisher needs to keep his hands off the offense. History has to repeat itself and Fisher has to be told to hire Mike Martz, or the second coming of Martz......if Fisher is to stay.

If Fisher stays and OBrien is fired from Houston, then hire OBrien.

If Fisher goes, Hire Gase.

A new fresh viewpoint of the entire team may be exactly what is needed.