Frank Cignetti just got fired.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm sure Schotty is smiling quietly to himself somewhere :p

Well, if going to Georgia, and running an offense that ranks 86th in the nation despite having a top recruiting class, getting a 15 year veteran head coach fired and as a result putting himself out of a job after only one year on it ... if all that makes one smile, then yes, I guess he's smiling somewhere.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So the offensive coordinator gets fired for the failures of the regime. Now we really are the Same Ole Sorry Ass Rams. :(

fancents86

Starter
Ok lets take ALL of this into perspective. The offense has been anything but ignored, in FA or in the drafts, since Fisher has gotten here. Lets begin with the drafts.

2012 went DT, WR, CB, RB, CB, WR, GG, K, LB, RB Normal expectations, guys through round 3-4 are higher value picks. 3 D and 3 O there.
2013 went WR, OLB, SS, WR, OG, CB, RB. 2 D 3 O in the first 4 rounds.
2014 went OT, DT, CB, RB, SS, CB, QB, T, DB, DE, C. 3 D and 2 O in the first 4 rounds.
2015 went RB, OT, OG, QB, OG, WR, OG, LB, DE. All 5 O in the first 4

We are looking at 8 defensive players and 13 offensive players in the first 4 rounds of those drafts.

Ok cool. They are DEFINITELY drafting defense too much right? Not the case at all.

Better yet, lets look at FA.

2012- Scott Wells (31), Cortland Finnegan (28), Kendall Langford (26), Rocky McIntosh (29), Will Hayes (27), Barry Richardson (26), Jo-Lonn Dunbar (27)
2013 - Jake Long (28), Jared Cook (26)
2014 - Kenny Britt, Davin Joseph
2015 - Saffold, Akeem Ayers, Nick Fairley, Garret Reynolds,

I'm sure I am missing guys in FA. You don't see super young FAs come out often, and when they do they typically break the bank. Long, Wells, Finnegan.....none of them put the team in a position where they couldn't maneuver because of money. Did they pay them a lot? Sure they did, but it isn't like they took it out of my wallet. Nobody expected an ACL tear for Long let alone two for Bradford. Nobody thought after one stellar year Finnegan would find the biggest cliff he possibly could to fall off of.

It not like they have been restacking the D over and over and over and ignoring the offense. This is a capable offense with Tavon and Gurley in it, but without a hope from the QB position it is punchless. Period.

Let me also make this clear, I do not think Cigs was the problem. I've been preaching this up and down to anyone who will listen, this team is in it deep with its QB issues, and it won't be fixed this year. The had a perpetually injured Bradford and decided to roll the dice moving on from him, which is understandable. The play has not panned out. Hell look at Dallas. Everybody was fawning over recieving options and their offensive line last year and at the beginning of this year. Down goes their starting QB and they are still looking for answers.
Ignoring doesn't necessarily mean neglecting to pick up players, but it's obvious they put much more thought into defense. Maybe I should have used the term neglected? Just look at our offense compared to our D. We can lose multiple big time players and still be a damn good defense. We lose one position on our oline and we're phucked. Where is all this productive offense that they gathered? Did you notice that FIVE out of the thirteen offensive picks were used on rbs? So that's 5 rbs altogether and 5 drafts picks in 2015 to fix our oline (after 3 yrs of either failed attempts at FA or bad draft choices)which is 10 out if the 13 right there. According to your list of draft picks that leaves 3 players on offense in the first 3 years that were not rbs. Does that not scream neglect? Yes they spent draft picks and free agents on offense, but they were either projects or no longer on the roster. Quick? Still waiting for this "next TO" thing. Givens? Gone. Stacey? Gone. Richardson? Gone. Mason? Play time diminished. Tavon? Used for punt returns or gimmick plays. Davis? Not here anymore. Gilbert? Not here anymore. Bailey? Was rarely used even though he had arguably the best hands on the team. Gurley? Can't produce bc our oline collapses. GRob? Verdict is still out on him. Mannion? Doesn't even get much practice. Bam bam? Punt returner. Brown and Havenstein have been decent has rookie starters so I'll give them a thumbs up on those picks.

Also, if you didn't expect Long to get injured then you must not have any Miami friends, haha. They were jumping for joy when he left bc he was declining and injury prone.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this team working solely off of Gurley and Tavon, this season has proven that this is not a reliable method.

Edit: I'm not sure where you got 13 players on offense bc I counted roughly 18.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Point for me is this, Fisher could hand over the play calling to Boras. When they stayed in house, he sold Boras/Cignetti almost as a co-OC sitch.
Cignetti was in way over his head,
and I'm sure would have taken the demotion just fine.
Bolded in red for emphasis...

Because, here's what Fisher said yesterday about the decision between Cignetti and Boras and why he went with Cignetti.

If Cignetti was over his head and at least had some play calling experience, I can't get too excited about Boras... who has very little play calling experience.

Of course, I am always reassured when Jeff Fisher says "But we can take care of that. I have no concern about that." :LOL::(

Rob Boras, who had the title of assistant head coach/offense while also coaching tight ends, takes over as coordinator. By all accounts, Boras finished a close second to Cignetti last offseason for the OC job.

“It was very close,” Fisher said. “If you’ve seen Rob coach on the field, Rob’s a hands-on, very enthusiastic or detailed guy. He gets the big picture. He’s not done a lot of play-calling before and that was really the difference and the reason I went with Frank (in February). But we can take care of that. I have no concern about that.”
:eek:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They gave him a chance... Unbelievably bad hire from the start. But my best to him for trying 100%

OC has to design for his talent or lack of it. Maximize what his players can do and keep away from their flaws. Don't ask a QB to make throws he can't and keep calling passes you can't protect or runs into a stacked box and keep expecting it to work.
I said it weeks ago in another thread it was like a HS team when the shop teacher is the OC.
That might be a bit harsh, but sticking with it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is he on the hot seat in Houston? Seeing they are tied for division lead and a game back in the wild card I'd think he's pretty safe? I dont follow them so Im just asking

You are right, he probably is not anymore. They were a mess early in the season and he was taking lots of heat. Looks like he turned it around by getting one of his QBs straightened out.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what exactly can Boras bring to the league’s 31st-ranked offense and 32nd-ranked passing game after 12 contests?
“There’s some different thoughts,” Fisher said. “Stimulate the staff. A little more creativity. But it’s the run game. We’re lacking in the run game efficiency right now and it all starts there. Rob, wherever he’s been, he’s been very successful with respect to the run.”

Part of Boras’ job description this season as assistant head coach/offense was to have more input in the running game.
OK, so I know I'm being very critical of what Fisher says, but some of these things just don't add up.
If what he says is correct, then Boras was as much of the problem lately in a declining running attack as Cignetti.

I guess Fisher is asking me to believe that Cignetti refused to listen to a man who ..."wherever he’s been, he’s been very successful with respect to the run" and who's "job description this season as assistant head coach/offense was to have more input in the running game."

I'm to believe Cignetti ignored this man and his ideas and continued putting that run-anemic offense out there regardless?

He began coaching in 1992, spending his first 12 seasons at the college level. His only stint calling plays during that time as for three seasons at Nevada-Las Vegas.
I feel nauseous...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bolded in red for emphasis...

Because, here's what Fisher said yesterday about the decision between Cignetti and Boras and why he went with Cignetti.

If Cignetti was over his head and at least had some play calling experience, I can't get too excited about Boras... who has very little play calling experience.

Of course, I am always reassured when Jeff Fisher says "But we can take care of that. I have no concern about that." :LOL::(

:eek:

It just doesnt make any sense.
Had he chosen Boras over Cignetti, Cignetti would still be on staff.
I just dont see the need for Cignetti to be fired other than for Fisher to "appear" as if he's doing something.

I'll say this much, if Fisher thinks running the ball more is the answer, than he should be fired and let Cignetti be the coach.
On 3 first down carries, Gurley totalled -1 yard in the 1st half.
Running the ball is not the answer

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Running the ball is not the answer

I have a feeling you're correct on this.

That Oline is not one that can impose it's will on the opponent. Got to be balanced, which means at least 40% passes... and this team is not good at passing.

We'll see... let's give Boras a chance.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a feeling you're correct on this.

That Oline is not one that can impose it's will on the opponent. Got to be balanced, which means at least 40% passes... and this team is not good at passing.

We'll see... let's give Boras a chance.
And I'm not an O-line expert, but IMO the ZBS isnt designed to impose will, more complicates blocking scheme. Which I beleive is the ultimate FAIL of this offense. Seems the design is complicated and plays take too long to develop.
Just off the eyeball test, when Gurley gets the handoff from QB under center, he has much more success than the shotgun hand off, mis direction play that seemingly loses 3 yards every time they try....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Point for me is this, Fisher could hand over the play calling to Boras. When they stayed in house, he sold Boras/Cignetti almost as a co-OC sitch.
Cignetti was in way over his head, and I'm sure would have taken the demotion just fine.
The act of firing is sending some sort of message, that's what I have the issue with.
Now had he fired him and brought in someone from the outside to step in? Would have made more sense.

I get where you're comin from. But I'll throw out there that we don't really know how that conversation went with Fish and Cigs. Maybe he offered him that option, I don't know.

We're all makin assumptions, granted. But either way Fish needs an OC who has the edge in scheme and preparation. There's a lot of guys who can draw up plays and dazzle on a chalkboard. But the guys who have that instinct for attacking defenses creatively by using their rules against them, and who can have their entire offensive team on the same page executing that plan? Those guys are very hard to find. Fish is 0-2 in OC hires now, plain and simple in my estimation. I think Boras is a longshot, but got my fingers crossed regardless.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get where you're comin from. But I'll throw out there that we don't really know how that conversation went with Fish and Cigs. Maybe he offered him that option, I don't know.

We're all makin assumptions, granted. But either way Fish needs an OC who has the edge in scheme and preparation. There's a lot of guys who can draw up plays and dazzle on a chalkboard. But the guys who have that instinct for attacking defenses creatively by using their rules against them, and who can have their entire offensive team on the same page executing that plan? Those guys are very hard to find. Fish is 0-2 in OC hires now, plain and simple in my estimation. I think Boras is a longshot, but got my fingers crossed regardless.
I agree, we dont know. I have a hard time thinking Cigs refused a demotion but anything's possible.
I'm game for being positive, but I'd be happier if they went to a "sling it" mentality instead of what seemingly will be Fisher overseeing things and running Gurley 30+ times

fancents86

Starter
If I was Boras I would have declined the job. Chances are more in the favor of him being out of a job next season than if he had stayed a qb coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I was Boras I would have declined the job. Chances are more in the favor of him being out of a job next season than if he had stayed a qb coach.

Experience is the most important thing for coaches as they climb the ladder brother. Few positional coaches would pass up the chance to coordinate even in the Rams current situation. Not only do you log that all-important experience, but you also get a chance to show improvement and positive effect.

All these guys get torched in bad situations somewhere in their careers. Look at Belichick getting fired in Cleveland. Back when that happened he was characterized as a bad coach with no personality in the media and by fans. But in coaching circles it was no big deal and he got the experience of being a head coach and used it to get it right the second time around with the Patriots.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Scapegoat or not and injuries aside, you can't run arguably one of the worst offenses of our generation and expect to keep your job. At this point, Boras is the right choice until an experienced OC is on the market for next year (IMO despite what he did for us, Martz isn't the right choice). My guess is he knows it is just a temporary opportunity to show what he can do and likely can return to a lesser role in 2016.

Debacled

Starter
Ignoring doesn't necessarily mean neglecting to pick up players, but it's obvious they put much more thought into defense. Maybe I should have used the term neglected? Just look at our offense compared to our D. We can lose multiple big time players and still be a damn good defense. We lose one position on our oline and we're phucked. Where is all this productive offense that they gathered? Did you notice that FIVE out of the thirteen offensive picks were used on rbs? So that's 5 rbs altogether and 5 drafts picks in 2015 to fix our oline (after 3 yrs of either failed attempts at FA or bad draft choices)which is 10 out if the 13 right there. According to your list of draft picks that leaves 3 players on offense in the first 3 years that were not rbs. Does that not scream neglect? Yes they spent draft picks and free agents on offense, but they were either projects or no longer on the roster. Quick? Still waiting for this "next TO" thing. Givens? Gone. Stacey? Gone. Richardson? Gone. Mason? Play time diminished. Tavon? Used for punt returns or gimmick plays. Davis? Not here anymore. Gilbert? Not here anymore. Bailey? Was rarely used even though he had arguably the best hands on the team. Gurley? Can't produce bc our oline collapses. GRob? Verdict is still out on him. Mannion? Doesn't even get much practice. Bam bam? Punt returner. Brown and Havenstein have been decent has rookie starters so I'll give them a thumbs up on those picks.

Also, if you didn't expect Long to get injured then you must not have any Miami friends, haha. They were jumping for joy when he left bc he was declining and injury prone.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this team working solely off of Gurley and Tavon, this season has proven that this is not a reliable method.

Edit: I'm not sure where you got 13 players on offense bc I counted roughly 18.

I said in the first four rounds. When you grasp at straws looking at players beyond the 4th round that are far more likely to wash out on any team than make an impact it dilutes any kind of argument looking to be made. Some players work out and develop, others don't and crash and burn. Its the name of the business. Listing guys like Stacey and Richardson who they spent late round picks on who produced very well means nothing, seeing as they got what they could out of them and moved on. Do you expect every 4th+ rounder to fail? No, but you do on the majority of them. When they pan out thats great, but they are being picked that late for a reason.

Yes, Mason has lost out on playing time because of Gurley. Remember the cries for a 2nd RB around here when Steven Jackson was carrying the load solo? We have it now, but we have an absolutely punchless passing offense that just hangs the running game out to dry. This team is built to run the ball down defenses throat and use the pass to exploit that fact. When the QBs we have cant fight their way out of a wet paper back defenses are going to stack the line nullifying the passing game. This offense is built on the premise of running the ball twice for every pass rather than passing the ball twice for every run like we have been seeing in recent weeks.

I've said it plenty of times elsewhere, the offense is a QB away from being able to impose its will upon defenses, not as a world beating record setting scoring team, but at least good enough to be competitive. With the QB play right now, its going to keep flopping and keep costing guys their jobs.

I've also mentioned before they were not going to spend an early pick on a QB with Bradford still around until this past draft after another freak of an ACL tear. They used a 5th rounder to look for a backup and this past season took a flier on Sean Mannion in the 3rd as a developmental guy. QBs don't grow on trees, and a Brady is an exception rather than the rule. Using premium picks on guys you expect to be backups or starters based on catastrophe (ACL tears for example) is a luxury, one the Rams couldn't and apparently still cannot afford to do. There are 11 starters on each side of the ball, not counting STs, and there will always be a few weak points on ANY roster. Address those before worrying about "so what happens if the starter goes down?". Its cool to have a backup who can step in, but when there are other positions needing upgrades from the get go excluding injury they should take precedent.