First Take: Seattle Michael Robinson Talks Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
EVERYBODY has receivers my friend.

We HAD Gilyard and Salas and Mike Sims-Walker and Clayton and Hoo Hoo and Bajemi and Akexander and on and on and on.

Naming names means crap too me and should you too.

Washington WENT ANG GOT GARÇON THEN DJAX, THOSE ARE WRS!

Indy kept Wayne drafted Fleener AND Allen, and signed Hakeem Nicks, and did I mention they hired Lucks coach as OC?!?!

That is how you surround a young QB with talent.

What they Rams have done, going on five years now, is continually throw crap at the wall to see what sticks!

I love Austin but Quick sucks, Givens? Pettis? Really? Now Britt is my new "hope" and I like Bsiley but he's only had 17 catches ANd is already on strike one with substance abuse program.
You're not even giving them a chance to develop must you forget that the WR rule of 3 years for a WR to fully develop, this year is huge for them and I think they will all man up and show you why Snisher broke your heart by passing on Sammy Watkins. I mean how much should you spend on the WR position before you just let the kids develop..

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
But Austin's talent as a WR really didn't show up until later in the year, the Indy game specifically, because as a rookie he was struggling with the playbook. By this time Sam had already gone down with the ACL. I think we do have talent on this team at the WR position, but I also think it is not unfair to say that talent has yet to fully demonstrate itself at the NFL level.
That's why I was saying next year is the year to see what kind of QB we have in Sam, he'll get to play with all the other receivers that have the playbook down, instead of them struggling. You could say last year when we started 1-3 that they were clueless and didn't know what to do but to say that he has no talent this year is beyond me!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no need to get into personal attacks.

I am not misrepresenting what the poster was saying. He was stating that Sam's lack of "a supporting cast" (also known as the rest of the team) was the main reason for Sam's less than stellar play.

You may consider his opinion on this matter as a fact, but that does not mean that I do.

My opinion is that the offense, as a whole, has not played well over the past 4 years. Sam has contributed to that poor play. He is not absolved from it as he is a member, nay, the LEADER of the offense. Leaders do NOT get the right to blame the rest of their team when things go poorly.

LEADERS step up and take responsibility.

I am sure, actually, that Sam does just that.

It is just some posters on internet boards that refuse to expect it.

Well, no, none of that is true. You did misrepresent what he said.

Here's exactly what he said:
Honest?! Taken seriously?! How can you when he says "if we get after him he'll throw it up"? INTs have never been an issue with Sam. A competent, experienced surrounding cast has.

He never assigned blame. Only pointed out that a competent AND experienced offensive supporting cast has been something that Bradford hasn't yet had.

And he's right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love Austin but Quick sucks, Givens? Pettis? Really? Now Britt is my new "hope" and I like Bsiley but he's only had 17 catches ANd is already on strike one with substance abuse program.
I think you're selling these receivers way too short here. How do you know Quick sucks? If that's a fact, then Fisher is an idiot for keeping him around, I guess. Givens set a rookie record and then had a set-back. Pettis has always been solid. Every fan of this team knows that Bailey has the goods. Tavon is a game changer. Britt is the only question mark at this point as far as I'm concerned. And as such, there's an apparent disconnect between Sam's "projected" numbers from last year and how he would have achieved those numbers.

Meaning, how does Sam project 363/599 for 3856 yards, with a 60.7 completion percentage and 32 TDs to 9 INTs with shitty receivers?

AZRamsFan93

He never assigned blame. Only pointed out that a competent AND experienced offensive supporting cast has been something that Bradford hasn't yet had.

And he's right.
He said "his supporting cast" (the rest of the team) is not "competent".

A pretty damning indictment in my book. In my opinion a textbook example of "throwing under the bus".

RFIP

Funny because I like Britt more than any outside wr on this team.

Bailey next best and I love Austin in the slot.

But Bailey is out four games so.

And I probably like Pettis more than 99.9% of Rsm fans but people seem to think he's a goner (cut), I do not.

You are right though, I am not a Quick or Givens believer but I pray I'm wrong.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk if some of you guys will agree with what I'm saying, or believe if it's relevant to this discussion... But deep down I really believe he lacks the swagger in being an NFL QB (right now at least). Is swagger everything to playing NFL QB, NOT AT ALL... But I'm a guy who's pretty big on body language, I think it robs off the toher players the right way (no pone intended) and even helps the player himself (good body language has proven to increase testosterone and lower cortical, for what it's worth. I'm not expert on it but that's the lil research I believe to be true). Bradford... Just looks like a guy on the field, I don't see the swagger that a Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers, RG3, and so forth carry with there respective teams. Those guys and more imo at least have dangerous look to them... Idk if it's the kinda duck walk Bradford has... I just don't see look of a guy who knows what he's doing, not saying he doesn't know what he's doing, he's a smart man... It's a weird concept, but a concept imo that is semi important. Right now, I just don't see it with him...

I don't know about "swagger", but go back and watch his interview from this years OTA's (it's on here somewhere) and tell me you don't see "it" in his eyes this year. Listen to the tone of his voice and see the fire in his eyes. I for one can't wait for this season to start and watch how this all unfolds. It very well could be a very special year for us.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bradford hasn't complained about the garbage he's had to deal all these years with the Rams... That doesn't sound like a soft person to me, seems as tough as they come really.

Lord knows most QBs would have thrown the same coaches (Spags, McDaniels, Shumur) O-line (some real crap there for his first 3 seasons) and WRs (going into year 5 and his best targets have been semi-seasons from Clayton and Lloyd and a perpetually banged-up Amendola) under the bus multiple times by now, and if that QB was a media darling, the talking heads would have totally supported them.

How anyone that has seen what Sam has gone through since being drafted and be "OK" with him being called "soft" by a f***ing Seahawk
is beyond me.
Yes, our defense is badass. Everyone knows this. We are on our way and its obvious to everyone who has paid attention. M.Robinson doesn't get any credit from me for speaking the obvious.

Screw him and his lame ass team.
Any team that gets away with pass interference and holding on every play can win a Superbowl!
Color me unimpressed.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I like Sam Bradford, but everything Robinson said is true whether you like it or not. Sam doesn't throw many INT's but he WILL eventually make a mistake if you pressure him enough.

Any QB will EVENTUALLY throw a pick under pressure, even Brady or Manning. Think of all the clutch games he's brought us from behind to tie or win. He HAS NOT thrown many picks in those games or in those late CRUCIAL situations

A55VA6

Legend
Any QB will EVENTUALLY throw a pick under pressure, even Brady or Manning. Think of all the clutch games he's brought us from behind to tie or win. He HAS NOT thrown many picks in those games or in those late CRUCIAL situations
....that's exactly my point....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He said "his supporting cast" (the rest of the team) is not "competent".

A pretty damning indictment in my book. In my opinion a textbook example of "throwing under the bus".

A. Supporting cast for a QB is not the rest of the team. It's the offensive talent around him.
B. He said both competent and experienced.
C. There was no blame assigned.

I don't really care to argue about something so trivial but you definitely misrepresented what he said by choosing to see what you wanted to see in his words.

Rambition

Rookie
Agreed. Sams inheritance was the worst possible situation for a QB to come in to.
Robinsons QB had a nearly perfect situation to walk in to. It is what it is.

I might be alone on this, but IMO the most impressive, exciting thing about Bradford is that here we are going in to year 5 and he isn't ruined.
Its amazing actually. He still has all the talent, still is capable of reaching the upper echelon of passers in the NFL, has shown the ability to continue to improve his game....DESPITE the fact that he has not yet had an imaginative play caller, a legitimate go-to WR (scattered games from Clayton, Lloyd and Amendola do NOT count) or an offensive line that can instill confidence in their QB. They have shown the ability to maintain a pocket from time to time recently and had some nice moments with Long and Barksdale at tackle. (Thanks Coach Beaudreau!)

Sam might not ever live up to his #1 overall selection and contract.
Even if he somehow wins a SB, his career might still come up short of the hype and expectations that go along with that high of a selection. Its just the way many fans view the game.

Its possible he will never show more than being solid.
But he still has as good or better a chance to be great as any QB that has come out since him IMO.
When I think of him hitting the open market and finding his way to an OC and WR corps that are waiting for him and his arm, I shudder. I don't ever want to see that. This guy could still become a very dangerous passer.
i agree on all points. it truly IS incredible that with everything he's had to endure, that he is still capable of doing the things he is showing that he can do.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There is no need to get into personal attacks.

I am not misrepresenting what the poster was saying. He was stating that Sam's lack of "a supporting cast" (also known as the rest of the team) was the main reason for Sam's less than stellar play.

You may consider his opinion on this matter as a fact, but that does not mean that I do.

My opinion is that the offense, as a whole, has not played well over the past 4 years. Sam has contributed to that poor play. He is not absolved from it as he is a member, nay, the LEADER of the offense. Leaders do NOT get the right to blame the rest of their team when things go poorly.

LEADERS step up and take responsibility.

I am sure, actually, that Sam does just that.

Nothing I said was a personal attack. I just think it's a misrepresentation of his argument (and one that's been seen from many Bradford bashers, typically followed by "Bradford needs absolute perfection to succeed!".)

Yes, the offensive product hasn't been what it should be for most of the time since Sam came here. But rather than go "He's the leader, he must have the the most responsibility for the product", most here choose to actually look at what's going on, and we see the basic support that even the best QB in the world would need to succeed consistently not being given. When it is, Sam absolutely needs to step up his game and has been showing signs of that.

But if that's supposedly throwing the rest of the team under the bus, then what you're doing is throwing Sam under the bus, as your definition of "throwing under the bus" apparently doesn't require much in the way of criticism.

It is just some posters on internet boards that refuse to expect it.
If anything is a personal attack, it's this.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You "guess" Bradford is a touchy subject? lol I agree with your post. A true fan who understands football would have to be pumped when a player from one of our biggest rivals has so many good things to say about our team. I should also point out that Robinson was reluctant to comment on Sam until he was goaded to do so by the hosts. It appears that many Rams fans can't accept even the slightest criticism of Bradford. And based on the comments I have read here many don't know what Robinson was referring to when he mentioned soft. He wasn't referring to physical toughness.
idk if he meant physical or mental toughness but its both bullshit. Mentally soft implies afraid of pressure and getting hit, not aggresive, checking down (which he does partly because of Schotty and lack of receivers getting open). Or if he meant mentally tough still bullshit cus Bradford has been hit more, pressured more, had to take so much crap changing schemes etc. but never complains just goes out and plays. you wanna knock his productivity or injuries fine but the "soft" comment either way is bullshit. Enjoy getting pummeled into the ground by our front seven this year Mr. Robinson.

AND Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless can suck a D. they're the biggest laughing stocks in sports media I dont know a single person that likes or watches them.

Rambition

Rookie
It's put up or shut up for Bradford, I can see the softness in him mentally where he's hesitant to make some of the throws that could've been easily made.
i would be curious to know how often we should have noticed such plays, and more curious still to see some examples. keeping in mind that it's entirely possible that we might see examples of this from other NFL starting QB's if we were to take a look...including some big names.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

And he's right.
hes setting a double standard by calling Bradford "soft" then turns around and says he hasnt had a chance with a good supporting cast. Robinson kinda talking in circles if you think of it that way. just IMO

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I like the run first smashmouth approach they will bring this year that hopefully opens up lots of play action for Bradford. I am honestly more concerned about Schotty's play calling than with Bradford's ability or health this year. Last time I dared to mention Schotty being bad (I never made any crude or inappropriate remarks just said I thought he was basically terrible but he needs to stay so we can at least keep one scheme going for more than a year at a time) I was given crap about making personal insults and my post was removed. So let me try again... good OCs dont pass the ball 3 times in a row at the 5 yard line while you have a monster in the backfield named Steven Jackson screaming for the ball at least once! But if everyone wants to call it a personal attack because of some slight chance somebody in the organization MIGHT see it they should consider it "constructive criticism". or go ahead take down my post. Cheers!

Rambition

Rookie
In Bulger's heyday he was a top 5 QB in the league. The only reason he wasn't appreciated was because we let a superior QB go to play him. Bulger was a very good QB the dude had zero swagger. The team won games with him as QB. I think the swagger thing is overrated. You are either a good QB or your not. Yesterday in an interview Timmerman talked about how Warner wasn't fiery. We won a Super Bowl with a non-fiery guy.

Bottom line is if we win games the media will praise Bradford. We lose they bury him. See Phillip Rivers.
well-said.