First Take: Seattle Michael Robinson Talks Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Everyplayer makes mistakes if you pressure them enough, and a QB always wants to push that little bit harder, its the nature of the game.

Sam takes hits and gets up, he plays injured, i'd hardly call him soft... In my opinion the 'soft' comment is more about his appearance, he does look like a 'boy' on the field, he's got that baby face - he looked a lot tougher when he had that beard in the off season....

69superbowl

Rookie
I am a huge Sam supporter, but what Robinson said about him, Tavon and the Ram defense rang true to me. It's not so much that Sam is mentally or physically soft - Robinson mentioned body language - I think it may be the lack of "fire" in his on-field temperament that gets him that label in conjunction with the injuries. What I took from Robinson's comments was that Sam can be intimidated and made to make mistakes with just a little bit of pressure or conflict.

Sam was a nice kid in college, is a quiet guy off the field and has become a decent NFL QB with loads of unexpended potential. He's not a Rothlesberger, McNair, Favre, Steve Young or even a Jim McMahon type that will play physical (run, take a massive shot and get right up), play hurt or who can beat up a defense and take over a game in multiple ways. So far in Sam's career it's clear that many things have to be going well for Sam to thrive in the offense.

He's had some nice comebacks for wins, but not really a "signature" play or moment or unique talent where a fan or critic can say: "Man, that was a hellluva play." He doesn't assert himself like we would like a truly great QB to perform. Maybe it's still in him, maybe he's just a "good" QB. I know he's my quarterback and there is no worthy replacement available.

He's not "kinda soft" in our world, but in the brutal business of the NFL he is not the opposite either. It's a black and white mentality league and "grey area" doesn't play well. Sam is "grey" right now. Robinson was asked a question, put on the spot and answered as tactfully as he could. I didn't detect any pre-meditation in the response.

FRO

Legend
I'm going to ask the obvious, what QB doesn't struggle under pressure? Not many QBs are going to succeed with Hunter, Ojinnakka, Turner, Dahl, and Richardson as your starting 5. The line improved in 2013 and Bradford improved with them. On paper out line should be very good in 2014 and I expect Bradford to play well. Had Bradford not torn his knee he would have had a great year. He did tear his knee and he has to once again prove himself. Fisher passed on every QB in the draft once and all but one twice. He is a smart football coach. He is placing his career in the hands of Bradford. That should tell you a lot.

Sam needs a good year in 2014. I think he will come through for us. We just have to let it all play out.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I hope Sam Bradford watches this. Being called 'soft' has to be one of the worst things a fellow competitor can say about you. I'd love for him to shove it in their face. I hate the fucking Seahawks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am kind of taken back by the defensiveness in here...This interview stoked me..As a player in the NFL that played the Ram recently, knows more than idiots interviewing him (Steven A. Smith and the other guy). He had one criticism about Bradford, but all the rest was admiration for our Rams....I guess Bradford is touchy subject.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
14 TD's & 4 INT's sure sounds Like Bradford is a Turn-over machine to me!! Yah he just throw's it up under pressure, put Hill in now!!!

lockdnram21

Legend
EVERYBODY has receivers my friend.

We HAD Gilyard and Salas and Mike Sims-Walker and Clayton and Hoo Hoo and Bajemi and Akexander and on and on and on.

Naming names means crap too me and should you too.

Washington WENT ANG GOT GARÇON THEN DJAX, THOSE ARE WRS!

Indy kept Wayne drafted Fleener AND Allen, and signed Hakeem Nicks, and did I mention they hired Lucks coach as OC?!?!

That is how you surround a young QB with talent.

What they Rams have done, going on five years now, is continually throw crap at the wall to see what sticks!

I love Austin but Quick sucks, Givens? Pettis? Really? Now Britt is my new "hope" and I like Bsiley but he's only had 17 catches ANd is already on strike one with substance abuse program.

Now you know the name calling and talking bad about our players isn't welcome here

RamsFan14

Starter
Idk if some of you guys will agree with what I'm saying, or believe if it's relevant to this discussion... But deep down I really believe he lacks the swagger in being an NFL QB (right now at least). Is swagger everything to playing NFL QB, NOT AT ALL... But I'm a guy who's pretty big on body language, I think it robs off the toher players the right way (no pone intended) and even helps the player himself (good body language has proven to increase testosterone and lower cortical, for what it's worth. I'm not expert on it but that's the lil research I believe to be true). Bradford... Just looks like a guy on the field, I don't see the swagger that a Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers, RG3, and so forth carry with there respective teams. Those guys and more imo at least have dangerous look to them... Idk if it's the kinda duck walk Bradford has... I just don't see look of a guy who knows what he's doing, not saying he doesn't know what he's doing, he's a smart man... It's a weird concept, but a concept imo that is semi important. Right now, I just don't see it with him...

nighttrain

Legend
big if, but if SB remains healthy all season, his #'s will be at or near the top of the league's QB's. I am absolutely positive...
train

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Idk if some of you guys will agree with what I'm saying, or believe if it's relevant to this discussion... But deep down I really believe he lacks the swagger in being an NFL QB (right now at least). Is swagger everything to playing NFL QB, NOT AT ALL... But I'm a guy who's pretty big on body language, I think it robs off the toher players the right way (no pone intended) and even helps the player himself (good body language has proven to increase testosterone and lower cortical, for what it's worth. I'm not expert on it but that's the lil research I believe to be true). Bradford... Just looks like a guy on the field, I don't see the swagger that a Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers, RG3, and so forth carry with there respective teams. Those guys and more imo at least have dangerous look to them... Idk if it's the kinda duck walk Bradford has... I just don't see look of a guy who knows what he's doing, not saying he doesn't know what he's doing, he's a smart man... It's a weird concept, but a concept imo that is semi important. Right now, I just don't see it with him...
Ahhh, the mythical, at least IMO, "it" factor. If this talk of Sam being "soft" was coming from a teammate I think we would have an issue. It is not. All accounts I have ever seen show his teammates to respect him, laud his talent and leadership and know he is the man to take this team to the promised land. Nothing to see here except M. Robinson being a fool

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I am kind of taken back by the defensiveness in here...This interview stoked me..As a player in the NFL that played the Ram recently, knows more than idiots interviewing him (Steven A. Smith and the other guy). He had one criticism about Bradford, but all the rest was admiration for our Rams....I guess Bradford is touchy subject.....
"Soft" is a pretty nasty word to call ANYONE in the NFL.

FRO

Legend
In Bulger's heyday he was a top 5 QB in the league. The only reason he wasn't appreciated was because we let a superior QB go to play him. Bulger was a very good QB the dude had zero swagger. The team won games with him as QB. I think the swagger thing is overrated. You are either a good QB or your not. Yesterday in an interview Timmerman talked about how Warner wasn't fiery. We won a Super Bowl with a non-fiery guy.

Bottom line is if we win games the media will praise Bradford. We lose they bury him. See Phillip Rivers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Soft" is a pretty nasty word to call ANYONE in the NFL.
The media guys with Robinson in that interview, wanted to go WAY farther than what Robinson said..Robinson didn't say "Bradford sucks, and he'll never make it in this league"...It was more of getting himself together, and if he does, the Rams will be a force to be reckoned with....Something we all have been saying for a while (in the context of the sucky teams Bradford has been saddled with...)

RamsFan14

Starter
Ahhh, the mythical, at least IMO, "it" factor. If this talk of Sam being "soft" was coming from a teammate I think we would have an issue. It is not. All accounts I have ever seen show his teammates to respect him, laud his talent and leadership and know he is the man to take this team to the promised land. Nothing to see here except M. Robinson being a fool

No no no, I don't question his leadership, the respect level, or if the team believes in him... I'm being very picky with my analysis, I'm really focusing on body language. Bradford is a smart guy, hard worker, and I believe he has won over his teammates... That's not what I believe to be the problem with him. I know bringing up the topic of swagger being a problem for an NFL player might be pretty silly, but honestly it's just something that hasn't changed with him in the 4 years he's been with us. It's just my observation, take it for a grain of salt.

Idk how Robinson meant to use the word "soft" (his definition) but I mean... Bradford hasn't complained about the garbage he's had to deal all these years with the Rams... That doesn't sound like a soft person to me, seems as tough as they come really.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
No no no, I don't question his leadership, the respect level, or if the team believes in him... I'm being very picky with my analysis, I'm really focusing on body language. Bradford is a smart guy, hard worker, and I believe he has won over his teammates... That's not what I believe to be the problem with him. I know bringing up the topic of swagger being a problem for an NFL player might be pretty silly, but honestly it's just something that hasn't changed with him in the 4 years he's been with us. It's just my observation, take it for a grain of salt.

Idk how Robinson meant to use the word "soft" (his definition) but I mean... Bradford hasn't complained about the garbage he's had to deal all these years with the Rams... That doesn't sound like a soft person to me, seems as tough as they come really.
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, and your opinion is at least as valid as anyone else's on here. From my perspective I see it as "swagger" is just not his personality. But that also, is JMO. (y)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I can't disagree with most of what was said...but SOFT? Maybe my definition of soft is different than was used in the video.
Bradford is not soft in terms of toughness. Thats just wrong.
If he's talking strictly soft mentally, i just don't know. Only players on the field would know that. It's possible i suppose.

The book of Bradford hasn't yet been written. 2014 will likely be the final crossroad.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Still don't know how he survived this, (injury prone as he is).:shades:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
That's :OT:.

I am a huge Bradford fan, believer, supporter - whatever you want to call it, but I can see poster's points when they say they don't "see" whatever "it" is.
I haven't either. I DID see a bit more attitude in some of his interviews this year.
I also don't "believe" in the rah-rah swagger bs, but WOULD like to see him get really pissed off on the field just once, regardless of why.

RamsFan14

Starter
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, and your opinion is at least as valid as anyone else's on here. From my perspective I see it as "swagger" is just not his personality. But that also, is JMO. (y)

I understand, and let me be clear: I'm not attacking Bradford's "personality" nor do I have problem with him in. He's an awesome guy, I can't complain about that at all. Idk if body language fits into personality, but the way he acts as a leader does not bug me one single bit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would love to see how "hard" Russell Wilson would have been had he been drafted into Sams shoes.

Or ANY other QB for that matter.

Don't be in denial about Bradford's play.He has done nothing compared to A. Luck. I would have loved to see him in horns.
I think RG111's rookie year,Rams would have made it to playoff.Cam Newton at half the salary,but even he would have been better.
Wilson's rookie year vs Bradford at anytime would have been better, because he can get out of the pocket & keep the chains moving.Same with Kap from 49ers.He came in when Alex Smith got hurt & had The Rams beat,only to have there kicker miss a some what chippy.He never looked back & took them to The SuperBowl.
Now I believe in Sam Bradford and love his work ethic & upside.He can be a special QB,but has only teased Ram fans at best.